Today I learned (TIL)

It starts in early childhood, so most people are used to the social pressure there. 'Tis why you have so many animu where a childhood friend follows another into the same highschool, or struggling to get into the same university together (is exaggerated in the animu though). People are still plenty able to control their lives, especially these days...even more so if they know how to work the social system to their benefit. If you want to know more about one guy who did so, here's a kewl book.

*Looks close at second image*
Hey! I stayed at that exact capsule hotel! :laugh:
They're great if you're 5'7" (170cm) or less and not claustrophobic. The bedding tends to be pillow soft, with the oh-so-amazing soft and supportive Japanese pillows included. Plus you get premium TV with all the animu on demand you could ever want, and occasionally your own AC unit inside the capsule. Some fancier places have an indoor hotspring and/or relaxation room with free food
...downside is they're not cheap unless you go for the budget options, which result in well...maybe a computer fan to keep you cool at night in your little box.

Oh yes....ryoukan are amazing :megusta:
Ask for the futon room instead of bed for the true orgasmic experience of sleeping on tatami. If you can, have your friends find one with a hot spring, too - now those are some classy places
Sometimes you'll have all your meals included in your price, but they'll be traditional Japanese fare
2SWuhhb.jpg

aaaaand the menu:
66pvfkD.jpg
Height: ✓
Non claustrophobic:✓
Anime:✓
:laugh:

When I stay in one, I'm going all traditioanal Japanese!
Futon, tatami, onsen, food. Sign me up now!!! XD
The food!!!!!:love::love::love::love:
That shite what I'm talking about! I want Japanese now damn, have to wait till Monday :(
That menu looks and sounds divine, apart from chicken and pork, but I'll sort it somehow. All the fish though, not a big fan of crab but hell I'll try it.
Thanks for making me hungrier as I'm just finished my dinner :P

Please do, this was super interesting to read!
Hm...
Well...a lot of what I know about the modern Japanese political scene comes from the book I linked in my other post alongside keeping up with the news from there. For a quick and dirty setup though...
The reason why Japan has effectively been a one-party state since the end of the war largely stems from one man - Kakue Tanaka. Originally a nobody from a poor family in what was then the most backwater area in all Japan, he eventually became involved in construction before going to Tokyo to strike it rich. While there, he began a drafting firm before being drafted into the IJA. After a short stint in the army, he went back to Tokyo and took over a construction company and became heavily involved in government contracts; building heavy industry in Korea, Manchuria, etc. (as an aside, it's rumored his company was involved in the Japanese nuclear weapons project F-Go) Anyhow, before the war ended he could tell Japan would lose...and subsequently cashed in all his war bonds to a nice sum of money ontop of the governmental contract funding he'd gotten.
Back in his hometown, he decided to run for office - which at first he lost, before winning in '47. The same year he'd switch parties from the Democratic Party to the Democratic Liberal Party.
The next year would be his promotion to minister of justice, where he'd further his connections and be arrested for bribery - which he denied, and continued his political career even though his party distanced itself from him. He was found guilty of bribery three years later, but he appealed (and this appeal would go on for a while). He famously said, "A man must never be afraid of going to jail The 50's would also be when he discovered how pork barrel politics could be helpful; he bought and refurbished a poor railway in his district, to which he had well over the needed votes to be reelected.
Oh, he was also once promoted to being the head of the ministry for international trade and industry, which allowed him to spread his grand idea of a remodeled Japan throughout the government. During this time he also gained a reputation for not following the whims of the Americans and negotiating down tariffs, while also gaining friends in the US press and industry.

From hereon, he'd be affiliated with the LDP as well after the DLP was absorbed by it. Under the LDP, he became the minister of telecommunications - which he used to his benefit, alongside recognizing how media can be used to shape popular opinion. I remember reading something about he'd give licenses to near anyone who applied, unlike previous ministers.
Eventually he'd command a sizable portion of the main LDP faction which he used to form the basis of his own faction; the gundan. What made his faction so powerful was he supported everyone, regardless of whether they'd win or not - if politician x from town y needed a campaign team, money, and training they'd have it all and more. Mistresses were found for those who wished, paid off, etc. In return all they'd have to do was to keep supporting him.

Using his powerhouse base, he became prime minister in '72. He began all kinds of public works in both Niigata and whereever else in order to fulfill his dream of a modernized and wholly new Japan. However, alongside this, he also used shell companies connected to him to buy up land before then purchasing it for public works...in other words, gaming the system. It was discovered by the Japanese press, but the public didn't mind so long as the good times kept rolling. Eventually the Watergate Scandal brought him down from being the PM of Japan. During one of his nightly calls, Tanaka had agreed to take a payment of $2mil from Lockheed to outfit JAL. He was caught, but the case was dragged out in court through his connections (it only met once a week on Thursday) and when convicted, he appealed and thus avoided jailtime...and allowed him to keep a hand on things. He would die in 1993

His group kept itself intact for the most part, although it had a subfaction within itself which was headed by two guys who were pretty trusted by Tanaka - albeit this relationship would falter when one of them was taken down by two scandals - one I can't remember and the Recruit scandal. Uhh...from there the group eventually splintered, with a new political party being formed, more infighting, more corruption, the bubble popping, Tanaka's hand still vaguely guiding Japan through the LDP's policy of big government spending, and many of his former "students" winning the prime ministership. Like Koizumi, or Nakasone
It's uh....a lot. Definitely suggest the book.

As another aside to all this...part of the reason why Japan hasn't recovered from the recession in the 80's is due to the massive public spending; they can't increase it any more than it is, and if they decrease it then it just gets worse. On the "plus" side though as long as the LDP gets your vote, you'll get nice kickbacks.

Oh...and here's some modern shady stuff.

Height: ✓
Non claustrophobic:✓
Anime:✓
:laugh:

When I stay in one, I'm going all traditioanal Japanese!
Futon, tatami, onsen, food. Sign me up now!!! XD
The food!!!!!:love::love::love::love:
That shite what I'm talking about! I want Japanese now damn, have to wait till Monday :(
That menu looks and sounds divine, apart from chicken and pork, but I'll sort it somehow. All the fish though, not a big fan of crab but hell I'll try it.
Thanks for making me hungrier as I'm just finished my dinner :P
Oh yeh, definitely - tatami mats and futon are great; regardless of if I'm in Japan or not in the future, I'll ideally look into getting a bedroom furnished in it for the health benefits from sleeping on your back. Can't seem to do so on any mattress, but I sure can on a futon

If'n you get the chance and want a break from it all without really being in the boonies, head to Wajima on the far side of the country. Lots of cheap-ish ryoukan, and spectacular views. Or there's Ise, which is kewl as well...if not a bit crowded during summer and New Years.
qyBqAoy.jpg

TRt0RmL.jpg
The crab was amazing; sweet, tender, and nothing like I'd had before.

Hm...
Well...a lot of what I know about the modern Japanese political scene comes from the book I linked in my other post alongside keeping up with the news from there. For a quick and dirty setup though...
The reason why Japan has effectively been a one-party state since the end of the war largely stems from one man - Kakue Tanaka. Originally a nobody from a poor family in what was then the most backwater area in all Japan, he eventually became involved in construction before going to Tokyo to strike it rich. While there, he began a drafting firm before being drafted into the IJA. After a short stint in the army, he went back to Tokyo and took over a construction company and became heavily involved in government contracts; building heavy industry in Korea, Manchuria, etc. (as an aside, it's rumored his company was involved in the Japanese nuclear weapons project F-Go) Anyhow, before the war ended he could tell Japan would lose...and subsequently cashed in all his war bonds to a nice sum of money ontop of the governmental contract funding he'd gotten.
Back in his hometown, he decided to run for office - which at first he lost, before winning in '47. The same year he'd switch parties from the Democratic Party to the Democratic Liberal Party.
The next year would be his promotion to minister of justice, where he'd further his connections and be arrested for bribery - which he denied, and continued his political career even though his party distanced itself from him. He was found guilty of bribery three years later, but he appealed (and this appeal would go on for a while). He famously said, "A man must never be afraid of going to jail The 50's would also be when he discovered how pork barrel politics could be helpful; he bought and refurbished a poor railway in his district, to which he had well over the needed votes to be reelected.
Oh, he was also once promoted to being the head of the ministry for international trade and industry, which allowed him to spread his grand idea of a remodeled Japan throughout the government. During this time he also gained a reputation for not following the whims of the Americans and negotiating down tariffs, while also gaining friends in the US press and industry.

From hereon, he'd be affiliated with the LDP as well after the DLP was absorbed by it. Under the LDP, he became the minister of telecommunications - which he used to his benefit, alongside recognizing how media can be used to shape popular opinion. I remember reading something about he'd give licenses to near anyone who applied, unlike previous ministers.
Eventually he'd command a sizable portion of the main LDP faction which he used to form the basis of his own faction; the gundan. What made his faction so powerful was he supported everyone, regardless of whether they'd win or not - if politician x from town y needed a campaign team, money, and training they'd have it all and more. Mistresses were found for those who wished, paid off, etc. In return all they'd have to do was to keep supporting him.

Using his powerhouse base, he became prime minister in '72. He began all kinds of public works in both Niigata and whereever else in order to fulfill his dream of a modernized and wholly new Japan. However, alongside this, he also used shell companies connected to him to buy up land before then purchasing it for public works...in other words, gaming the system. It was discovered by the Japanese press, but the public didn't mind so long as the good times kept rolling. Eventually the Watergate Scandal brought him down from being the PM of Japan. During one of his nightly calls, Tanaka had agreed to take a payment of $2mil from Lockheed to outfit JAL. He was caught, but the case was dragged out in court through his connections (it only met once a week on Thursday) and when convicted, he appealed and thus avoided jailtime...and allowed him to keep a hand on things. He would die in 1993

His group kept itself intact for the most part, although it had a subfaction within itself which was headed by two guys who were pretty trusted by Tanaka - albeit this relationship would falter when one of them was taken down by two scandals - one I can't remember and the Recruit scandal. Uhh...from there the group eventually splintered, with a new political party being formed, more infighting, more corruption, the bubble popping, Tanaka's hand still vaguely guiding Japan through the LDP's policy of big government spending, and many of his former "students" winning the prime ministership. Like Koizumi, or Nakasone
It's uh....a lot. Definitely suggest the book.

As another aside to all this...part of the reason why Japan hasn't recovered from the recession in the 80's is due to the massive public spending; they can't increase it any more than it is, and if they decrease it then it just gets worse. On the "plus" side though as long as the LDP gets your vote, you'll get nice kickbacks.

Oh...and here's some modern shady stuff.

Oh yeh, definitely - tatami mats and futon are great; regardless of if I'm in Japan or not in the future, I'll ideally look into getting a bedroom furnished in it for the health benefits from sleeping on your back. Can't seem to do so on any mattress, but I sure can on a futon

If'n you get the chance and want a break from it all without really being in the boonies, head to Wajima on the far side of the country. Lots of cheap-ish ryoukan, and spectacular views. Or there's Ise, which is kewl as well...if not a bit crowded during summer and New Years.
qyBqAoy.jpg

TRt0RmL.jpg
The crab was amazing; sweet, tender, and nothing like I'd had before.
That's badass, and this is way more helpful than the History of Japan video, even though that is still an awesome video that deserves all the love that it has.

TIL that grach is the guy to ask about japanese culture. Well I learned that a few days ago but this cemented it XD

That's badass, and this is way more helpful than the History of Japan video, even though that is still an awesome video that deserves all the love that it has.

TIL that grach is the guy to ask about japanese culture. Well I learned that a few days ago but this cemented it XD
Yea, when you read into him and his posse, you'll find the lot of them pretty much owned the world's most economically powerful nation for a good number of years. The full tale also goes over the yakuza connections, mistresses galore, insane amounts of wealth (like one of the "big three" having pallets of gold bars - among other items - in his house), brawls in the Diet, and more political intrigue plus corruption than most novels dare consider.
'Course no one in Japan really cares about all this, or even pays attention what with their press being equivalent to Lesotho and the general attitude being "they still keep the good times going"

More secret-y stuff from J-pan, this time in WW2

Naw; am nowhere near say...an actual expert. Am just a layman at most :sweat:
TIL: People I know consider me someone to seek relationship advice from. This is most unexpected

TIL:
Most Norwegians don't even seem to know of this project, somehow. Anyways, I hope the project happens. The 21 hour travel time along the coast from Kristiansand to Trondheim is atrocious and is one of the last truly great geographical separations of the country that keeps us separated.
To put it in perspective, here's the other route from Kristiansand to Trondheim.
Yes, two cars can start driving from from Kristiansand to Trondheim, and the one going east will (assuming drivers are replaced) be able to immediately turn around at Trondheim and reach Kristiansand again before the other car even finishes driving one way.

TIL:
Most Norwegians don't even seem to know of this project, somehow. Anyways, I hope the project happens. The 21 hour travel time along the coast from Kristiansand to Trondheim is atrocious and is one of the last truly great geographical separations of the country that keeps us separated.
To put it in perspective, here's the other route from Kristiansand to Trondheim.
Yes, two cars can start driving from from Kristiansand to Trondheim, and the one going east will (assuming drivers are replaced) be able to immediately turn around at Trondheim and reach Kristiansand again before the other car even finishes driving one way.
That's some pretty impressive stuff.

TIL

My French teacher always pronounces my name wrong but I have no intention of correcting her at this point because she's been pronouncing it that way for two years. So when this kid was talking about his name was too long, she said that there are names with more syllables than his. She then used my name as an example, which supposedly has three syllables. The way it's supposed to be pronounced though it only has two.

So I guess my name could either have two or three syllables.

Last edited:
TIL

My French teacher always pronounces my name wrong but I have no intention of correcting her at this point because she's been pronouncing it that way for two years. So when this kid was talking about his name was too long, she said that there are names with more syllables than his. She then used my name as an example, which supposedly has three syllables. The way it's supposed to be pronounced though it only has two.
She trying to give you an identity complex/crisis? XD
That's one thing that peeves me off though. I will correct them as many times as necessary.
When people lengthen my name, I won't answer them.
May sound petty, but I was given this name for a reason, and you will use it gods damn properly or not at all.

I don't even care what anyone calls me. I have a guy irl who calls me turkey, even though that isn't my name. I have teachers call me zach pronouncing the ch like charlie, and who cares. I even knew a guy who called me jake, and that isn't even anything like any of the names that I have. Guess I really just don't give a crap what I'm called as long as I can answer to it knowing it's me.

But then again I have also noticed that I quickly turn around when someone yells "hey asshole" on the street too and are never talking to me so maybe it's not such a grand thing

Today I heard there's a dating site exclusively for Harry Potter fans. Apparently it's called "Dating for muggles" or something. I figured after I finish eating I'mma go look it up to see if it's legit. After that I'mma google to see if there's one for anime fans, because why not, now I'm curious too.

Edit: a basic google search for "anime fan dating website" yielded a list of "10 best free yada yada yada" with some interesting results but I think I could get in trouble if I say any more about that.

On the other hand, the google search for the "hp dating site" came up with a "15 best free nerd yada yada yada" and that one's...... interesting. I was expecting the trekkies and the whovians, but not the bronies or the disney.

-uBHNO.gif

Last edited:
Today I heard there's a dating site exclusively for Harry Potter fans. Apparently it's called "Dating for muggles" or something. I figured after I finish eating I'mma go look it up to see if it's legit. After that I'mma google to see if there's one for anime fans, because why not, now I'm curious too.

-uBHNO.gif
That's so wizard! Definitely magic in the making....... XD

That's so wizard! Definitely magic in the making....... XD

Not sure if I'll join, I just wanted to see what it was like, might do a "fake account", just to see what the site's like, and then delete it right after. I mean, I like the series, I'm definately not opposed to the idea, I'm single, but........ Let's just say I'm not planning on doing anything of any nature with anybody at the moment. Also, I did a quick edit-update to the original post.

She trying to give you an identity complex/crisis? XD
That's one thing that peeves me off though. I will correct them as many times as necessary.
When people lengthen my name, I won't answer them.
May sound petty, but I was given this name for a reason, and you will use it gods damn properly or not at all.

I honestly don’t mind. I may have corrected her once last year and she forgot. We’re almost done with the school year anyways and so it’s not like it matters. I’m used to it though, my 5th grade teacher did the same thing. Not to mention subs always pronounce it wrong so I don’t mind. They’re just pronouncing it how it looks. Other than that sub that called me Clara, which is nothing like my name. I don’t even have a “c” in my name. Honestly my mom has wondered if she made my name too complicated because no one pronounces right and I just don’t mind.

Back