Today I learned (TIL)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RascaI, Sep 10, 2018.

1. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

Yep.
    [​IMG]

2. yellowcup

yellowcup New Member

I learned a programming language today.

3. Jet

Jet Active Member

Posted by Jet on Aug 25, 2020
    I found out, that some ppl believe International Space Station to be a hoax. Wtf?

4. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Aug 25, 2020
    Extremely based.

Some think the moon landing is a hoax, and some even think NASA itself is a fake organization. Would anything surprise you anymore?

5. Otakuch

Otakuch Member

Today I learned How to Play Irelia Effectively.

6. yellowcup

yellowcup New Member

Today I learned that I will soon fly to rest)

7. SilentBookworm

SilentBookworm Well-Known Member

Today I learned that, when Osmosis Jones was released, there was no "National Chicken Wing Festival" in Buffalo, New York however one year after the movie was released, it was made a reality.

8. InkedC

InkedC Member

Today I learned that blue eyes are a genetic mutation. So I indeed have some mutant friends. Interesting.

9. RascaI

RascaI Well-Known Member

Ey I'm a fukin mutant

10. BurntJelly

BurntJelly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. IsrealFlores

IsrealFlores New Member

I'm studying the methodology of history today. I do this because I like this field, and also because I am currently writing a dissertation research, as I am studying in the second round of graduate school. I had some difficulty writing a literary review on the topic, so I turned to the dissertation literature review writing service https://papersowl.com/literature-review-writing-service. From a methodological and factual point of view, I'm fine, I think, but this point needs refinement. Are there more scientists here?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  12. Grach

Grach Well-Known Member

TIL of the first American expedition to K2, and the sheer madness that was their attempt to climb the mountain

13. SilentBookworm

SilentBookworm Well-Known Member

TIL the opposite of paranoia is pronoia which can be best described as "[The] delusion that others think well of one. Actions and the products of one's efforts are thought to be well received and praised by others. Mere acquaintances are thought to be close friends; politeness and the exchange of pleasantries are taken as expressions of deep attachment and the promise of future support. Pronoia appears rooted in the social complexity and cultural ambiguity of our lives: we have become increasingly dependent on the opinions of others based on uncertain criteria."

14. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

TIL that "In the Hall of the Mountain King", which is literally one of the most iconic Norwegian compositions before Ylvis got the world yipping and is thoroughly tied into Norwegian identity, is actually a piece literally meant to say "Norwegian national romanticism is for dung-smelling, self-aggrandizing idiots."
    That's almost literally how the composer of the melody phrased it.

The melody is composed for the play "Peer Gynt", which was a brutal takedown of national romanticism, popular in the late-mid 19th century, which Ibsen saw as increasingly narcissistic and delusional to dangerous degrees.
    Edvard Grieg, the composer of the melody, agreed, and he poured all of his disdain of national romanticism into it to the point that he couldn't stand to hear it afterwards.
    And now it's a cultural icon. Ironic.

15. Warpuppy

Warpuppy Well-Known Member

Today I learned that Europe has official bank notes worth 0 Euros.

16. AsheyBoi

AsheyBoi Member

Today I learned jumping from a foot high can sprain an ankle, and that ankle sprains hurt like hell.