The Writing Operation!

This is a story that I begun writing not too long ago. Haven't gotten around to add more to it, but hopefully one day it will be complete.
I would love to hear what people think of it (not too much nitpicking since it's just a beginning that might change anyways)
Would love to hear if this would be a story you would read the full version of or not, and maybe what you expect to happen etc.

Thank you in advance for reading!

Nymph of the Dark Wood and the Stoneheart Prince

It was several billions of years ago that our universe came to be what it is today. With its loud bang, the universe was no longer silent. They say the ringing from the explosion still lingers in some parts of the universe. The consequences of this creation are the further creation and destruction of both living and un-living things, with Earth being a primal example.

When the universe expanded, it also cooled sufficiently and allowed the formation of subatomic particles that later became atoms. These atoms would combine, attract and deny each other. In the end, forming our planet. A planet that would spark an unfamiliar reaction, not ever seen before during the billions of years that the universe had existed. It had created something that could continue to create, but also had the power to destroy.

These creations had formed some sort of will of their own. Some were brighter than others. Their species would use what they had to their fullest, in order to survive. Their instincts are what drove most of them. The minds only grew stronger over time. Those that were below on the food chain were suddenly rising. It became evolution for some with the demise of others.

There was eventually some lurking in the shadows while going against their own kind, sometimes family and friends, whilst saying it was on behalf of their gods. They so often start to chatter about these godly beings, saying they were not even on Earth, but watching over it. Sometimes visiting. They might not know it or understand it fully, but there is something that is always observing. But it was never a god.

This creation, which was not really a being, had help from more evolved creatures than itself. It put out eyes and ears wherever it could. Every so often, the humans would venture out into the world and stumble upon these creatures. The creatures were named nymphs, since the humans believed them to be the bride of their gods. Many of the nymphs ended up being worshipped as goddesses themselves, while others were hunted down. In the end, they were forgotten.

i like the opening. very different. it's an interesting premise too. i do hope that you will be able to build on it further and one day complete it. although, it clashes with my belief system in such a way as to make me a little uncomfortable even though it's fictitious obviously...

Autumn rains and the bitterness of tea leaves
I gaze out into the downpour, full of regret.

i love how this sentence and a half conveys a whole story and nothing more is needed...

i like the opening. very different. it's an interesting premise too. i do hope that you will be able to build on it further and one day complete it. although, it clashes with my belief system in such a way as to make me a little uncomfortable even though it's fictitious obviously...
Thank you for taking interest and for reading it :3 I hear what you are saying, and it is of course not my intent to make people uncomfortable with the way it is set up. What I have in mind is for it to be on a different earth. I guess you could say a different dimension.

Thank you for taking interest and for reading it :3 I hear what you are saying, and it is of course not my intent to make people uncomfortable with the way it is set up. What I have in mind is for it to be on a different earth. I guess you could say a different dimension.

actually, i wouldn't worry about making people uncomfortable, just write what you want... i don't know why i mentioned it. it wasn't a critique, just an observation, and a comment on my own bizarre thought processes... of course that doesn't mean it shouldn't be in an alternate dimension if that's the way you want to go about it. good luck, whichever way you decide to take it. it looks to be interesting as i said :)

actually, i wouldn't worry about making people uncomfortable, just write what you want... i don't know why i mentioned it. it wasn't a critique, just an observation, and a comment on my own bizarre thought processes... of course that doesn't mean it shouldn't be in an alternate dimension if that's the way you want to go about it. good luck, whichever way you decide to take it. it looks to be interesting as i said :)
You do make a fair point in your observation tho, and it is important for a writer to have in mind who might end up feeling positive or negative about what is written.
I am not quite sure yet as for where I want the story to go. It is something that evolves while I am writing :3 All I have is an idea, and then the words will eventually be filled in where they need to be

Organizing my google documents, and ran across these, which I had completely forgotten about.

The Springtime wind is a lovelorn thing
It whispers in the grasses
And sighs in the leaves

The Summer wind is a lively thing
It dances in the meadows
And frolics on the mountainsides

The Autumn wind is a lonesome thing
It cries in the night
And weeps on the hilltops

The Winter wind is a savage thing
It screams through the gullies
And shrieks round the eaves

Autumn rains and the bitterness of tea leaves
I gaze out into the downpour, full of regret.
Mm, that's the contemplative shit I do like. The focus on the seasons in order like that feels like a spiritual haiku (we're speaking thematically, not structurally, of course.)

Am currently sussing out the particulars of my biggest fic yet. Someone I follow on Tumblr was doing this fanfic trope mash-up deal, and this one caught my eye. A 30K word slow burn story. I am so gonna do this.

You do make a fair point in your observation tho, and it is important for a writer to have in mind who might end up feeling positive or negative about what is written.
I am not quite sure yet as for where I want the story to go. It is something that evolves while I am writing :3 All I have is an idea, and then the words will eventually be filled in where they need to be

my own process is similar... it's called being a "discovery writer" i think? as opposed to being a "planner"? either way, writing a story's not something that can be rushed...

my own process is similar... it's called being a "discovery writer" i think? as opposed to being a "planner"? either way, writing a story's not something that can be rushed...
In Stephen King's wonderful writing memoir, he mentions practicing this, and I found myself in general agreement. I try to do enough planning to give me enough framework to know which direction I'm generally going, but if I have a spur of the moment idea I will always choose adventure over staying the course.

In Stephen King's wonderful writing memoir, he mentions practicing this, and I found myself in general agreement. I try to do enough planning to give me enough framework to know which direction I'm generally going, but if I have a spur of the moment idea I will always choose adventure over staying the course.

i do feel that just sticking to the plan and completely ignoring spur of the moment ideas could lead to one's narrative becoming stale. and this "doing enough planning to give one a framework to know which direction one's generally going" is definitely essential and something that i think i need to learn. my "novel" has literally gone nowhere for five-plus years because i don't know where i want to take it. i've got a vague idea of what some of the characters are like and i know some things that are going to happen at some point within the narrative, but i have no idea what the whole thing is supposed to lead up to, or what the point is.

Moments

Time has frozen
touching eternity
a moment in
solitude
________

Memory
a distant time
These sunlit feelings
all mine
________

Once, I followed a pathway
into a world of dreams
there I was enchanted
by many curious things

Moments

Time has frozen
touching eternity
a moment in
solitude
________

Memory
a distant time
These sunlit feelings
all mine
________

into a world of dreams
there I was enchanted
by many curious things
As always, I really dig the haiku-like feel of your work. The middle one I particularly like the speed at which I felt I was led to read at. You have a cool, dreamy voice to your poetry, always dig that.

Moments

Time has frozen
touching eternity
a moment in
solitude
________

Memory
a distant time
These sunlit feelings
all mine
________

into a world of dreams
there I was enchanted
by many curious things

beautiful as always :)

I've just sent off another article with hopes of being published, let's see how it goes

Moments

Time has frozen
touching eternity
a moment in
solitude
________

Memory
a distant time
These sunlit feelings
all mine
________

into a world of dreams
there I was enchanted
by many curious things

Amazing. :)

Part of me ALMOST wants to share the vampire novel that I worked on years ago that I never published, but that hasn't received much positive feedback irl, so... :\ Plus I haven't gotten too far as I tend to lose inspiration very quickly, and I don't do well with negative feedback.

I've also been too overwhelmed with what I want to do with it's plot, (the MC will be similar to the MC from my Dragon & the Wolf novel I shared awhile back in certain aspects, but other than that I'm stumped...) so that's also been holding me back from writing more.

Part of me ALMOST wants to share the vampire novel that I worked on years ago that I never published, but that hasn't received much positive feedback irl, so... :\ Plus I haven't gotten too far as I tend to lose inspiration very quickly, and I don't do well with negative feedback.

I've also been too overwhelmed with what I want to do with it's plot, (the MC will be similar to the MC from my Dragon & the Wolf novel I shared awhile back in certain aspects, but other than that I'm stumped...) so that's also been holding me back from writing more.
I tend to lose motivation to write a lot, as well as inspiration for that matter. However! Do not lose HOPE! If you feel like sharing it, do it! You can write before the actual story a little message like "BEFORE READING, PLEASE NOTE: ---- AND DO NOT GIVE ANY ADVICE AS THIS IS JUST A BEGINNING. I JUST WANT TO SHOW OFF AND SHARE :D"
I am sure that people who watch this thread would also be eager to share with you the points that they liked or even LOVED about your novel so far, so you can include that in the little message if you only want to hear positivity for now, and when it is done, you could receive more constructive feedback c:

Either way, now would be a wonderful time to continue writing :3
I don't know a lot about writing and different methods, but if you feel your MCs are similar to each other (First of all, it shouldn't matter since they are from two different stories) You could try to create character sheets for them. First of the Dragon & the Wolf MC you had, and then of the vampire MC. Then, see if there is anything you can add to your vampire MC character. Any traits that can boost or be their weakness. Make'em quirky ;)) Perhaps you realise the two MCs were not as similar as you thought :0

I tend to lose motivation to write a lot, as well as inspiration for that matter. However! Do not lose HOPE! If you feel like sharing it, do it! You can write before the actual story a little message like "BEFORE READING, PLEASE NOTE: ---- AND DO NOT GIVE ANY ADVICE AS THIS IS JUST A BEGINNING. I JUST WANT TO SHOW OFF AND SHARE :D"
I am sure that people who watch this thread would also be eager to share with you the points that they liked or even LOVED about your novel so far, so you can include that in the little message if you only want to hear positivity for now, and when it is done, you could receive more constructive feedback c:

Either way, now would be a wonderful time to continue writing :3
I don't know a lot about writing and different methods, but if you feel your MCs are similar to each other (First of all, it shouldn't matter since they are from two different stories) You could try to create character sheets for them. First of the Dragon & the Wolf MC you had, and then of the vampire MC. Then, see if there is anything you can add to your vampire MC character. Any traits that can boost or be their weakness. Make'em quirky ;)) Perhaps you realise the two MCs were not as similar as you thought :0

Thank you! I think I'll share a snippet from my vampire one later on, if anyone's interested! :D (Might share more of my dragon one too, but I forget which page I shared last lol. :frustrat::sweat:)

True! They're similar in the fact that they both fall on the Autism spectrum somewhere, and are both shy, but other than that, there may or may not be surprises. ;) I'm toying with the possibility of giving them both powers/abilities, but that won't be until WAAAY later on.

To get everyone hyped, the plot for the vampire one is basically about the MC (Violet) who grows up living with Asperger's, (and other diagnosis') and is judged for it by most vampire communities, since in the novel it's unheard of for vampires to be disabled physically/mentally. She's also judged by human & vampire because she's half-blood, (half-human/half-vampire) which is also a big no-no. Her family gets judged too, since her dad's a vampire and her mom's a human, and most of her siblings are half-blood. (She does have an older brother who is full blood vampire, but he is from another marriage the dad had previously before meeting his human love.) Other than that, it's basically about Violet and her family going through many trials & tribulations, but still finding reasons to smile. (One big reason is Violet herself, as she teaches the whole family about patience, understanding, and other feel good stuff as she grows up.) :)

Edit: Some may think, "but what about action? fighting? romance? DRAMA?!?!" Ohhhhhh, trust me, there WILL be drama, especially in later parts... (Won't say WHAT kind of drama exactly, but you may be able to guess partly.)
Other than that, you'll just have to wait and see. :troll:

Last edited:
Back