The songs of your people

Finnish music is kinda mixed bag for me. I love metal, rock and folk music that is made here, there are also some genres that I think are just ok or something like that. And then there's of course some genres that I can't stand, but I guess it has more to do with genre itself than the fact that it's made in Finland, maybe.

Here's a few essential Finnish metal bands that sings in Finnish (There are of course many other essential bands, but since they sing in English I guess they don't belong in this thread):
Sotajumala (Death metal)

Mokoma (Thrash metal)

Mustan Kuun Lapset (Black metal, but this particular song is and acoustic piece)

Kilpi (Heavy metal)

Korpiklaani (Folk metal)

Kotiteollisuus (Heavy metal)

Here's a few good rock Finnish rock songs/band. They are pretty standard and light stuff, but give a good picture of what kind of rock music was made here in 70's and 80's onwards.

We also have some punk bands here. Apulanta that I mentioned in the rock section started of as a punk band, but here's probably the most classic finnish punk band. Pelle Miljoona:

Here's a few Finnish folk songs:
Ievan Polkka (I bet that everyone has heard the Hatsune Miku version of this):

Kun Mun Kultani Tulisi:

Here we have a genre called iskelmä. I don't really know what it is in any other language, but it kinda mixes different genres from the 50's and 60's together. It's listenable in my opinion. Here's a few song of that genre:

Of course we have pop. Here's an example of somewhat original Finnish pop song from a band called PMMP:

And since we like to copy mainstream pop here's an example of that:

Finnish rap is something I really don't know much about. We have that pop rap type of thing and then we have the underground scene. I try to link one from both genres here:
Mainstream:

Underground (Or not so underground anymore, but it was when I first heard it. This is also an example of Finnish horrorcore):

Here's our own version of Justin Bieber or some other former child singer:

I guess that's pretty much it. Hopefully someone is interested about this since I spent a little too much time at making this XD .

Last edited:
Finnish music is kinda mixed bag for me. I love metal, rock and folk music that is made here, there are also some genres that I think are just ok or something like that. And then there's of course some genres that I can't stand, but I guess it has more to do with genre itself than the fact that it's made in Finland, maybe.

Talking about Finnish music, I actually really like this one:

No idea what they're saying, but I dig the vocals.

(that's Finnish, right?)

There is plenty of music I could chose from when it comes to Brit stuff. I think I am just going to go with a couple of my favourite songs from two bands I really like.
First, here is a song from the Electric Light Orchestra:
Second, a (rather long) song from Dire Straits:
As some of you may know, I have Spanish in me (the name might be a give away). In that case, here is some Spanish guitar playing from someone considered to be one of Spain's best guitarists:
He was born in the same city my grandmother and mum were born in, so I suppose that makes this link mroe relevant right?

Say Turkey, if you want to fight it out, I will be waiting for you tomorrow after school. Come to the roof so I can see if you are the flying kind of bird.
Oh, those Russians

I'm fly alright. I'll stop your most advanced techniques with my sense of fasion alone
3b222965d0edff4d8ef5d733e74fe33e--stupid-stuff-funny-stuff.jpg

Oh, those Russians

I'm fly alright. I'll stop your most advanced techniques with my sense of fasion alone
3b222965d0edff4d8ef5d733e74fe33e--stupid-stuff-funny-stuff.jpg

Did someone say russians?
tenor.gif
What-is-exactly-hardbass-758x426.jpg

In all sincerity... Being someone from generation y , last of the greats... Early 1991..and american.. I can only relate to the different waves of music that have come and gone.
Its a big mix of techno, rap , electronic, just beats and all the metal music thats come along to influence the sub culture of rejects, in my age group of the kids in existical crisis. Lol all the kids that goto college and get out with degrees and cant do anything with them. The whole system.
I dont know what im rambling on about. Its like post ravers and goths and grunge, all those little niches...

Its just the nostalgia of the most rapid evolving time the best time there was that went so fast. I think its felt by alot. Simpler times. Im probably the last generation that will remember a time when there was dial up internet, before cell phones. When pay phones and pagers were still a thing.

But me personally? Its hard to define. Geographically my music would sound like country. But thats definetly not what my age catagory or demigraphics sound like. With the invention of the internet and so many cultural differences and influences... Its a mix.

Sorry i cant narrow it down very well.

I really cant so im just giving some examples of what i know ive really liked...

But if i had to really sum it down, its some kinda electronic techno rap beat metal influenced witch housey type sound. Lol. There is not really a single defining type music here..

Lol. I mean we honestly have all walks of life here :/ so we got everything you could possibly imagine sound wise.... Music... But i will say this much, we have a huge underground metal scene in oklahoma. Especially the texas oklahoma area.

Pretty much a big dump turd melting pot religous ghetto country ugh... How do i even sum it up. It sucks. Lol. Hence why i am saving to move somewhere iscolated and remote someday very much more cold in climate.

Sigh.... This is what i guess oklahoma USED to sound like..

There, i put up atleast one of our dumb country songs..

Last edited:
You have two options for New Zealand music.

Traditional Maori music. This is the most well-known Maori song, probably? I learnt it in school and I think they still teach it lol. A lot of Maori songs are choir-esque songs and whatnot.

This one is super well-known too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANPs-YjFdk

Also the haka, which is more of a chant than a song.

OR NZ European music.

Split Enz:
(The actual song starts at 1:25)

Flight of the Conchords:

Bonus: Maybe Crowded House, but Australia also claims them.

Well, methinks @Thrawn and @Taek are skirting a little too close to what's outside the scope of this thread. (Technically @CaptainSlow as well by posting Savage Garden, but a) she is not a complete degenerate like those two, and b) To the Moon is Back is one of only two good Savage Garden songs, so it's okay.)

This is folk music, but played by jazz musicians (showcasing Jan Johansson is prolly cheating, but it's old and jazz so whatever:

This is sorta folk music mixed with eurotrash pop, and also shitty:

Here is some dude that used to play punk performing a song by some other dude that's been dead for about 200 years:

Here is a song about boats fucking (A-P shippers need to step up their game):

And the absolute worst for last, awful boogie pop with country influences sung in Swedish (it's worse than it sounds):

Well, methinks @Thrawn and @Taek are skirting a little too close to what's outside the scope of this thread. (Technically @CaptainSlow as well by posting Savage Garden, but a) she is not a complete degenerate like those two, and b) To the Moon is Back is one of only two good Savage Garden songs, so it's okay.)

This is definitely cheating, on one hand because this is like one of the greatest bands ever.

Y'all may be correct, but I had to rep one of the greatest bands from my hometown, Toronto.

But here's a band only hipsters listen to, so @TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsGensan and @ZetsubouKaiji know them.

ironically @HasseRovdjur 's "absolute worst" was the only one i did a complete listen through of and i rather enjoyed it actually. maybe not being able to understand what they were singing helped...

Here's one Finnish band I forgot to put on my post. In Finland they are pretty famous band that mix punk and metal together. They have labeled themselves as Surmacore, which roughly translates to killcore or something like that. Their lyrical themes include drinking most of the time, but they have a certain irony/comedic side in the lyrics which is cool.

This second songs title literally translates to "Exploding Bat From Hell". With a title like that you can already guess it's a masterpiece.

The song of my people? Well, that'd be good ol' Bluegrass. Hell, we love that name so much we're called 'The Bluegrass state'...or we might be named after the actual breed of grass. I can never get a consistent answer on that. Anyway, despite my aversion to country (Yes, a Redneck who doesn't like country music. Blame Carrie Underwood for ruining it. It stopped being good after the 90's) it's not all bad. You can trace it all back to this guy. Bill Monroe. The grandpappy of the whole dang genre.

The man loved songs with Kentucky in the name.

Back