The Rising of the Shield Hero

I don't get out much to keep track of the Youtube hot take machine, but what statement do people think the show is trying to make? The only thing the show is really trying to do is portray an isekai in a more realistic, non-idealized fantasy world where everyone in that world is helpless and pleasant waiting for a hero to save them. The problem is this show has gone too far in the other direction by making all the people inhabiting the fantasy world cynical douchebags that all seem to have a personal vendetta against the shield hero for no adequate reason beyond seeing him as being kind of useless compared to the other three.

There are other problems with the show, but those are typical anime things that aren't trying to make a statement.
You're not wrong, these are some of the reasons why I disliked the manga in the first place (besides the MC being an insufferable douchebag). However some of the stuff I've seen online has to do with some of the themes of the show, like how the kingdom is a matriarchy or false rape allegations (rather than how they're used lazily, it's that they're used at all in the first place because they're somehow off limits to some people).

You're not wrong, these are some of the reasons why I disliked the manga in the first place (besides the MC being an insufferable douchebag). However some of the stuff I've seen online has to do with some of the themes of the show, like how the kingdom is a matriarchy or false rape allegations (rather than how they're used lazily, it's that they're used at all in the first place because they're somehow off limits to some people).

People just like to be upset and even if the show took a different approach then there would still be another group of people that'd be upset. We just live in a time where people just really like to be upset and just want to share their 2 cents.

What's off limits to some people is totally acceptable for others. There is no reason the voice your opinion on how you think something is acceptable because that's just boring. The news for example, will hardly ever share good news because nobody gives a shit... bad news however, everybody is interested.

Also I think if we'd grabbed a bunch of random people off the street and showed them the topic without mentioning the issue, I don't think it'd be as bad as some people like to make it out to be. But your voice becomes louder if you do find somebody else out there that wants to sing the same song along side you though.

Reactions: Zed

Its like people forget "sex" was a political tool for most of human history. Shit it still is, just not anywhere near to the same extent.

Ep 3

Well I guess people who complained about episode 1 being slow can't do that anymore, this show went from nice and slow to lightspeed.

Anyways, we had some CG this episode, noticeable but luckily not that incredibly bad. The duo combat of blocking and attacking was nice, if they skip to the action parts it would have been nice to see more of that.
Still an okay show, but I expected better from this.

Its like people forget "sex" was a political tool for most of human history. Shit it still is, just not anywhere near to the same extent.

I've tried to like the manga and failed, tried to like the show and failed. It isn't the 'controversial' content, I've seen things far more questionable then this. There is just something about it that sets my teeth on edge. I think it is the whole mean world thing, it gets so over the top that it feels stupid. I lose my connection to the main character rather then connect to them because of their predicament.

This is getting better and better.

Not only did he groom a child slave into a love interest, he now has a sentient pet who's an inversion of the "ancient vampire loli" defense. It's a girl who looks 12 years old, but is actually only 3. Days. Three days old.

Episode 5:

He should give that Pokemon back. I don't think evolution is supposed to work like that. Also, it's just going to make his raccoon slave jealous. I'm not sure if he's collecting a harem or pets.

Speaking of the raccoon her deciding to become a magic slave again to prove her loyalty was really fucked up.

Alright ... remember How NOT a Demon Lord?

Here's my point:

I)Both shows have decent animation and bland character design.

Shield hero does not have an overpowered protagonist, which is always better.

II)Both shows are set in generic MMORPG worlds.

Shield Hero is more realistic of the two, with its economic subplot, which is better.

III)Both shows are trashy.

Shield Hero is much less ecchi and overall - meandering, which is better.

But ... I still liked How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord more. Much more to tell the truth.

I think the problem with the show (which isn't terrible or anything, doesn't get me wrong) is that it takes itself waaay too seriously. There are some comedy elements and there are some slice of life elements and there are even some economical subplots (which renders me unable to totally dislike any show that has them) but ... it's just 'meh'.

I think I've said it before but the show plays it safe so much it becomes cheap.

The storyline and the characters are pretty well developed (for what the story is) but ... can't the main protagonist be a little more flawed? And I mean really flawed, not just 'he's imperfect so you should like him' flawed?

Can't his antagonists be a little more likable? I mean if you make the main antagonist so evil it's campy (think Terminator 1 or the Emperor from Star Wars or any Bond/ Indiana Jones villain) at least take it all the way through!

Can't his antagonists be a little more likable? I mean if you make the main antagonist so evil it's campy (think Terminator 1 or the Emperor from Star Wars or any Bond/ Indiana Jones villain) at least take it all the way through!

The Princess and Spear Bro are pretty much Jessie and James at this point.
They're haughty, but ineffectual. They "won" the duel, but everyone that matters cottoned right on to their bullshit and called them out on it. Then this episode Spear Bro is humiliated and kicked in the dick by a giant chicken and every time they try to do something the hooded people step in and stop them.

I was expecting some generic harem thing, but am pleasantly surprised by what I got.

1. Why does it have to be like a video game? It's not necessary.

2. Never trust a pretty girl. It was pretty obvious she was up to no good.

3. I liked the attitude of the MC by the end of it. Out of the ordinary.

lol Filo kicked
that spear hero guy in the dick. I would say that was a dick move, but he sure as hell deserved that so bravo Filo bravo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 5:

He should give that Pokemon back. I don't think evolution is supposed to work like that. Also, it's just going to make his raccoon slave jealous. I'm not sure if he's collecting a harem or pets.

Speaking of the raccoon her deciding to become a magic slave again to prove her loyalty was really fucked up.

The whole slave thing is just awkward right now, it's not even needed anymore and we know there is a party system... Also he's just being an asshole for taking her back as a slave.

The pokemon girl is also awkward... This whole show just turned awkward.

There are interesting things about this show but it lacks logic (marathoned 5 eps)

If this world is truly in danger of destruction, and only the heroes can help. I don't see why they even had a budget to begin with.

It'd make more sense to me that they all lived and ate in the castle for free.

And I can see people assuming the one guy with the shield may be useless by default, but why continue to think that when you observe his worth with your own eyes? it makes no sense, it's like they worship whoever gets the spear.....just because spears are cool or some shit.

And it's looking like there may as well have been 2 heroes instead of 4, because the only purpose the other 2 have been is to be neutral. While everyone hates on shield guy, grey haired guy points out something obvious, and then other guy basically just agrees.

Anyways, shield guy has got some nice cute animal girls, I wish racoon girl stayed a loli for 2 reasons. make that 3 reasons.

#1 her cuteness wouldn't be over shadowed by bird girl like it totally is right now.

#2. loli chick stabbing big monsters to death is just so kawaii and bad ass at the same time.

#3 Dumb ass people can start a new rumor about shield guy being a freak on some R Kelly shit, but only with young demi humans.

The whole slave thing is just awkward right now, it's not even needed anymore and we know there is a party system... Also he's just being an asshole for taking her back as a slave.

The pokemon girl is also awkward... This whole show just turned awkward.

The slave thing is really senseless. If she wanted to make a show of loyalty then join his party, but this time as a free raccoon to prove she's not being forced. Instead she places herself back under a curse that will hurt her if she doesn't follow his exact orders. That is not a healthy relationship.

The slave thing is really senseless. If she wanted to make a show of loyalty then join his party, but this time as a free raccoon to prove she's not being forced. Instead she places herself back under a curse that will hurt her if she doesn't follow his exact orders. That is not a healthy relationship.

Writer: "You guys were complaining about proper character development? Fine, I'll reset the whole thing... What? STILL COMPLAINING? YOU THOUGHT SHE GREW UP TOO FAST?!? I'LL SHOW YOU GUYS! HERE, HAVE A CHOCOBO GIRL THAT GROWS UP EVEN FASTER! YOU WILL ENJOY THIS GODDAMN SH@3423!@!13 313 !!"

I've marathoned the whole thing just today and I enjoyed the first few eps. I can totally see why people would be turned off by the 1st episode tho.

I liked the take on the whole isekai thing but the recent episode was quite a bummer.

Like really, another slave demi-human added to the party roster? More loli action ffs. The raccoon putting herself under that god darn curse again; and some random foreshadowing of another shield power.

The spear hero/princess? combo? up till now was decent. They've literally turned into a joke at this point, it'd be fun if they shouted we are blasting off again. That's how seriously i'm taking them. I really up it'll get better in the next few episodes

Sidenote: The OP showing shield hero's curse state seems to be him overloading all his currently obtained shields or something? Anyone else has opinions on this?

Episode 5:

Girl gets breast tattoo, Boy can't read, they then decide to raise a baby chick together... where have I seen this plot before? The time skips continue, only this time, it's done in everyone's favorite clip show style. A stupid fucking race, a red-haired wind bimbo who only ever shows up just to bitch. Who the fuck knows where this is going anymore? One thing I can say is that I wish I had as many career options as our angery MC. Ah geez, but the life of an ostracized isekai hero's pretty kakoii, isn't it?

2R8n6.jpg

oh dear what's wrong with his face

2R8n8.jpg

oh god what's wrong with her face

2R8nb.jpg

The silly face syndrome spares no one this week, it seems.

2R8na.jpg

Imagine how much shorter the Bible would have been if these people had been there.

Sidenote: The OP showing shield hero's curse state seems to be him overloading all his currently obtained shields or something? Anyone else has opinions on this?

I'll be real with you, the only thought I have on this issue is that I wish angery MC would hurry up and get cursed already. He is way past his deadline to royally FUCK SHIT UP, and I'm not accepting any more excuses for further delays.

Back