The Promised Neverland

In the end, Emma did it. Living with them? They are microbes for crying out loud, it's like feeling guilty for taking a vaccine or cleaning one's toilet.

Is @sanane the only one keeping up with this? I'm watching the Anime, and I'd serious consider reading the manga if this thread had at least a handful of people who kept up with it. Could lead to some interesting discussions.

I guess I'll keep writing here schizophrenically even if nobody else does :D
Seriously, the manga right now is in a point that is more interesting than it has ever been, I am not sure if one cour of anime will be enough for it all. I strongly recommend reading it.

Currently I'm reading the manga. What got me interested in trying out The Promised Neverland is what most of the commenters were saying about this series. So I went to read it & give it a try myself. Despite this manga being very long I'm quite hooked especially from the beginning.

I won't talk that much about the manga but if I want to give my thoughts should I always add a spoiler tag as well? Seeing as lots of the people reading the manga are doing just that. Asking to be sure guys.

I won't talk that much about the manga but if I want to give my thoughts should I always add a spoiler tag as well? Seeing as lots of the people reading the manga are doing just that. Asking to be sure guys.
yeah, it's better to use a spoiler tag (+chapter or volume number mentioned outside of the tag so people know what part of the manga you're spoiling) unless it's general stuff like "this is exciting" or "I don't like this"

I'm really liking this show...but I'm a little disappointed that
we haven't seen the monsters or anything supernatural since ep. 1. I appreciate psychological horror/thrillers as much as the next person, but the twist made me expect something else.

Here we go, 123

Those non-human eating demons are not to be trusted. That's pretty much obvious, but Ray is right that they pose a true danger. The guys that appeared in the end look pretty intimidating, now I wonder what's the deal with them.

A most interesting encounter. We have Emma, who was raised in a farm with happiness and love, however fake they may be. She keeps her pacifistic view even for demons. And we have Barbara and others, who were tortured in Lambda by demons, and eat them for revenge, not being satisfied even by killing them. Norman is somewhere in between.

I still believe Emma is too naive for humanity's sake. Despite they look fierce and irrational, the other guys seem on the right path here.

A most interesting encounter. We have Emma, who was raised in a farm with happiness and love, however fake they may be. She keeps her pacifistic view even for demons. And we have Barbara and others, who were tortured in Lambda by demons, and eat them for revenge, not being satisfied even by killing them. Norman is somewhere in between.

I still believe Emma is too naive for humanity's sake. Despite they look fierce and irrational, the other guys seem on the right path here.

Chapter: 124
Agreed. What Emna said made me want to punch the computer screen. I actually agree with Norman & Ray. One time Emma wants to kill the demons but after only seeing their lives only a little suddenly she wants to help them too.

Made me not like her.
There's a bit more but I'll add that to my list once I actually get to making it.
[/SPOILER]

Last edited:
Chapter: 124
Agreed. What Emna said made me want to punch the computer screen. I actually agree with Norman & Ray. One time Emma wants to kill the demons but after only seeing their lives only a little suddenly she wants to help them too.

Made me not like her.
There's a bit more but I'll add that to my list once I actually get to making it.
[/SPOILER]
I agree with both of you. What's more, I feel like Emma's development has ended up being artificial at this point, and also very... evidently plot convenient. Did she just forget when she saw her little sister dead? And it's not like I'm against forging a new promise that has the demons as non-human eaters, but right now it'd be stupid of Emma, and Emma should know, that risking everything for that little possibility is nonsense. I mean, it's not like Emma's wrong. IF there were a way to end the demons hunting humans and living peacefully, well, that'd be the best and most logical decision, BUT that could only be done through like, magic or whatever the promise supposedly is, which none of them know.

Either ways, Norman's being really secretive and seems not to trust Emma and Ray anymore and he's allying himself with demons, even if he's disposing of them later probably. Also, it's not just the demons the ones who are evil here but humans (at least, the Ratri clan and their scientists, but possibly more if other humans know of the promise and intend to keep it/have done nothing to stop it). How much power does the Ratri have in the human world? And if Emma went to the human world, wouldn't she, too, like to exterminate its probably top-down social structure that it'd have going on? I guess that's why Norman and Ray don't want to go either. Well, there's a lot of stuff to talk about.

I agree with both of you. What's more, I feel like Emma's development has ended up being artificial at this point, and also very... evidently plot convenient. Did she just forget when she saw her little sister dead? And it's not like I'm against forging a new promise that has the demons as non-human eaters, but right now it'd be stupid of Emma, and Emma should know, that risking everything for that little possibility is nonsense. I mean, it's not like Emma's wrong. IF there were a way to end the demons hunting humans and living peacefully, well, that'd be the best and most logical decision, BUT that could only be done through like, magic or whatever the promise supposedly is, which none of them know.

Either ways, Norman's being really secretive and seems not to trust Emma and Ray anymore and he's allying himself with demons, even if he's disposing of them later probably. Also, it's not just the demons the ones who are evil here but humans (at least, the Ratri clan and their scientists, but possibly more if other humans know of the promise and intend to keep it/have done nothing to stop it). How much power does the Ratri have in the human world? And if Emma went to the human world, wouldn't she, too, like to exterminate its probably top-down social structure that it'd have going on? I guess that's why Norman and Ray don't want to go either. Well, there's a lot of stuff to talk about.
Indeed, empathy is a decidedly human quality and it is meant for other humans, not for the oversized microbes with detestable masks who hunt and devour humans. The fact that they developed a consciousness, intelligence and social structure (which, by the way, they owe to eating humans, no less) doesn't mean that they should be treated as humans. Ratri traitors and those who live on sacrificing cattle children disgust me. They are as good as Egyptian pharaohs who owe their wealth to the slaves they overwork.
By the way, I guess Norman went to meet those non-human eating demons. I hope he can achieve to use and dispose of them.

So, after watching enough of the anime, I decided I should just go ahead and start reading the manga. I haven't been following a manga for awhile, since Tokyo Ghoul:re ended I suppose, and even then I was sort of just, keeping tabs on it until it ended so that I could marathon it. The last thing I really kept up with week-to-week was probably Fairy Tail, and Naruto and Bleach before that. So, I'm due for picking up some weekly manga I think.

1-38
Since the debates in the anime have become so heated with speculation and what is to come, I steeled myself to just push through the entire first arc, which I assume is where the anime will end at. When this manga first dropped I remember seeing it on a manga site and skimmed the first chapter. I wasn't really expecting to see an "escape" anytime soon. If I had known they planned to escape pretty quickly, which they did, then I probably would've stuck with it from the get go. I was mostly just like, "I don't need to follow an manga for 300 chapters of them being like, 'We're gonna get out here, someday." Glad we didn't go that route.

Reading the last few chapters of this arc, I was wondering how it'll translate into the anime. The pacing for the anime has been pretty good so far, and has been pretty faithful to the source material. The manga has had a few extra scenes I noticed, but nothing terribly important seems to have been cut from the anime yet, unlike, some series (looking at you Tokyo Ghoul). Considering where it ended up ending at though, I think the anime will handle it just fine. I haven't watched the most recent episode, but I suspect it'll end with the reveal that Norman is being shipped out. That'll leave about 4 episodes to the rest, which could be tight, depending on how they pace the finale. That, in of itself, could be two episodes.

I put so much discussion into the anime, I don't have a whole lot more to bring up here. I'll just start with, I wasn't surprised that Isabella brought up the position of Mother to Emma. The moment that Krone mentioned that was an option, I assumed that discussion would happen eventually. I was mostly trying to figure out if Emma would go that route, which basically hinged on whether or not the escape plan would work. As I know now, that route wasn't necessary. In regards to "Mother" though, I think the end of this arc did a very good job of humanizing Isabella. I'm not sure if the anime will do such a good job of that, I guess I'll have a better idea after watching this next episode, as it should cover the backstory of Krone and her dying moments. If this episode handles that pretty well, they might handle Isabella just as well.

I mean, I was sort of keen to Isabella from the moment she was introduced, and I'm mostly just glad she isn't a one-dimensional bad lady. I really like her design as a kid, although, she looked super older than Ray, Emma, and Norman in the flashback, legs for days. But, the craziest thing to come out of this arc, for me, in regards to Isabella, was that Ray was her child. They still haven't really touched on how the whole birthing process is handled in this world, there must be boys somewhere, presumably. Unless they harvest sperm from the boys prior to their deaths, which would be a whole other thing, but we'll see I suppose. But, I digress, it's almost like, did Isabella lose the moment she kept her biological son so close, as an informant? I think there may be some deeper psychological stuff going on there that was sort of glazed over. At this point, I'm mostly hoping Isabella won't be killed for her failure, because it would be super interesting to have her and Ray reunite at some point. Although, presumably she will be killed.

In regards to deaths, I am fairly certain that Norman did not die. Seeing as he was such a significant character, and they didn't show him die, they just showed a panel of him being bamboozled. I'm pretty certain Norman is still around. It'll be interesting to see what role he plays down the road.

The other mention I have is, man Phil is such a topic of debate in the anime right now. I can't wait to see how people react to his reveal when we get there. 99% of anime-viewers are certain he is wrapped up in everything and is some "super antagonist." I was almost thinking he had to have been involved somehow as the manga added a few extra scenes about Phil that the anime didn't cover. Specifically his relatively high score. But, he ended up being just another potential Ray, which I'm fine with. I didn't have any strong feelings in regards to him one way or another, I was entirely invested in Emma.

So, going forward; my main goal for tonight was simply to get up through the Escape Arc. I'm going to plan to catch up over the next week or so I can be involved in current chapter discussions. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some more information about what the outside world is like, and the general state of HQ. I'd like some more specifics on how these babies are being pushed out, and what exactly is going on and why it's going on. So, I know some of those questions are probably more of the endgame of the story, but hopefully there will be some more insight into HQ and not just Emma wandering around the woods for the next 90 chapters.

Nice review, I anticipate your comments on the current situation of the manga.

Yep, in the anime thread Phil is considered super suspicious. I have not doubted him once while reading manga, though. I think the anime cour will end with the escape, the next episode will probably be about the departure of Norman.

Aaaaaand 125

Man, Norman is really as scary as those demons are disgusting. I whole-heartedly support him making use of those fallen aristocrat monsters. The ideal future is one without germs.

39-97
I wasn't really sure what to expect coming into this next section of the plot. Prior to finding the shelter, when the kids were stumbling through the woods, getting surrounded, and ultimately meeting up with those friendly demons. I was thinking it was going to be a fairly directionless arc. However, the story makes use of its time well. That's one of the things I really like about this series, it's not terribly drawn out, and even the creator was mentioning how he never intended it to be, and it's success sort of warranted more to be added on. I really appreciate the plot progressing and every chapter, more or less, serving a purpose and not just fluff.

When Yuugo was first introduced, I was very against him. I mean, he was written well and came off as he was supposed to. He served his purpose as a character by challenging Ray and Emma, and even went ahead to show growth as we progressed through the plot. He ended up becoming more likeable, but as an antagonist he just seemed more rough around the edges than say Isabella or Krone. I appreciated them more as villains, than I appreciated Yuugo. That may end up being because Yuugo wasn't meant to be a villain, and was more of a wounded animal reacting to its surroundings. He didn't have a real, solid plan for killing the kids off. He kept saying he did, but Emma's shining, shimmering splendor easily took care of that.

The introduction of the hunting ground, and the new kids was rather unexpected. Albeit, a welcome one, I found a new avatar after all. This series does a pretty good job of keeping the reader on its toes. Nothing seems to be too predictable, and as I mentioned before, we actually get answers in a reasonable time frame. The biggest nugget to come out of this though was the elevator to the human world, and the introduction of the Ratri clan. It's interesting to get these different endgames introduced and seeing which direction Emma is going to moving toward. The biggest thing that upset me was the fact that there was an escape route within the plantation the whole time. I feel like that sort of information would've been helpful to send via morse code. The nice thing about that though is, Isabella could end up playing a role in helping with the escape.

In terms of Emma facing off against Lewis, it was nice to see some of her capabilities. She isn't quite as overly optimistic as most Shonen heroes, and has a pretty realistic grasp of the situations. It's nice that she isn't crippled by her own ideologies. She sort of comes off like that in the beginning, but her growth is definitely more interesting than some others. I liked how she straight out tells Yuugo to his face that she is going to save him, and yet when she turns around and tries to do that with Lewis, she can recognize that not everyone can be saved. She didn't hold herself back from killing Lewis under the illusion of "having" to save him.

I knew Norman wasn't going to be dead, although, it's not like he's in much better of a situation. It's also upsetting that the Ratri clan has him. I'm not sure if they plan to recruit him, or use him as a piece against Emma. Probably both, in their best case scenario.

All in all, I liked this second arc more than I initially thought I was going to. I'm definitely hoping that the second season of the anime will get to be 2 cour, cause I feel like stuffing all of this arc into 12 episodes will be rather rushed. I read that this next arc is going to be the final arc as well, which was a major reason why I went ahead and started reading the manga. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything pans out. I sort of assume Emma is going to combine all three options into one. She'll seek out help, and convince them to help with rescuing others, and utilize fighting and espionage to get around the monsters and save others, and ultimately face off with the mysterious leader and have a discussion about the promise. I'm mostly worried about whether or not her promise will hinge around her sacrificing herself, especially since she's so special.

98-124
This is another good example of not drawing out the series. Emma & Ray basically spent over a year walking all back and forth along the world and we covered it in a few chapters. I feel like a lot of other series would take this time to really draw out these journeys and milk the series for all they can. I really appreciate that we aren't doing that here. We just focus on what's important, and not try and fluff things up too much. Still, in regards to the Seven Walls, I'm not entirely sure what Emma is trying to accomplish with that. This seems like a rather, roundabout ending we're moving towards. More on that later.

The attack on the shelter was pretty intense. I definitely didn't care for that Andrew fellow, he was next level crazy. Like, putting Krone to shame. Especially after the place exploded, and he was just limping around with these severe wounds. Just stop it man, just die already. I do feel a little cheated that Emma didn't pull the trigger to kill him, she's being kept pretty clean at this point. Although, I really liked the dream she had with Yuugo, and his general role in the situation. There's some nice growth going on here at the end of this battle. Even more so as they are sort of struggling to move on to the Neck of the Unicorn (I prefer that rendition). She's starting to rely on her allies more and more, rather than seeing them as dead weight.

How in the fuck did Norman get so big? What sort of experiments did they do that simply aged him? The one guy has a bag over his head, and the other guy from Goldy's Pond was like a hulking, behemoth. Did they just get the short end of the stick here? Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if him getting to "grow up" is a death flag. Especially after his little speech about his plan. He's making me a little nervous with his talk of war and such, and even Emma can tell something is off.

At the same time, the following chapter with Ray and Emma was a nice balance to all this. The main thing that is disappointing is that Emma is backpedaling a little bit here. She wants to save everyone, but, at the end of the day, the only feasible option to do that is by allowing these demons to continue eating human flesh, in some form or another. Whether it's by hunting humans, or having cattle farms. I also like how we brought up the issue of Mujika (I think they translate it as Musica in the manga, but when I googled it, it's coming up as Mujika). On that note, honestly, seeing how Barbara was doing it, it's not completely unlikely that Mujika was simply eating other intelligent demons to maintain that form. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to be from a tribe of cannibals.

Seeing as Emma disagrees with Norman, I imagine she will take it upon herself to go back to the Seven Walls plan. Especially since the meeting between Emma and Missingno is all but guaranteed at this point. Hopefully Norman's crew won't hinder Emma and Ray too much. I really like Barbara, and if I could find a nice head shot, she'd be my new avatar. So, I really hope she doesn't end up being a huge dick towards Emma and Ray.

The way Norman was talking, it seemed like he was actually James Ratri, and for a moment I thought he had been around far longer than we realized. But then the demons mentioned that they realized it was a lie for their sake. So, I guess that was just a initial ruse to gain their trust in the first place and Norman is simply keeping up the lie. Other than that, Norman is basically doing Norman things once again. He's definitely become more of a threat, and I can see why they were saying he's "razor sharp."

His plan may work, but I think Emma will end up throwing a wrench in it all.

The ideal future is one without germs.

Don't say that, there are plenty of cool and nice demons... from other series. I imagine the end game is going to end up being cohabitation. It's just going to be a matter of whether or not that will come as a result of dealing with the fact that these demons are going to eat some people, or if there will be some sort of magical fix that Emma somehow discovers. Luckily, this series covers its bases pretty well. So I don't think we're going to get a convenient ending like, "The demons no longer have to eat humans, huzzah."

This chapter is not helping Norman's case. He's coming off more and more reckless, and radical. Whereas before, I think it was obvious that Norman was spared, I'm starting to think it's obvious that Norman is going to die by the end of the series. He's simply going to burn out and get got. At the very least, I presume he will get severely injured. But, I think this manga is dark enough that one of the original trio could end up dead by the end. And by that, I mean not Emma.

It'll definitely be interesting to see some more about Musica. Although, seeing as Norman referred to her as "cursed." That's off-putting. Not really sure what we are in for, and I'm honestly not sure how much of what Norman is going to "reveal" is going to be true. I think, at this point, his faith to his friends may be compromised.

Hey now, Emma! Emphatizing with demons and wanting to save them is too much goodness... is what I would like to say, but on the contrary, it's almost evil. Empathy and altruism are meant for other humans, not for human-eating microbes. The blood solution of that fake messiah obviously failed before, insisting on letting them live is as good as leaving the cattle children to demons' detestable mouths. Risking the life of your comrades just to save the natural enemies of humanity is neither goodness nor naivety, it's outright being inconsiderate of human life.

That being said, I feel the mangaka thinks otherwise and portrays Norman as a cold-hearted dangerous guy. I don't think the manga will end with demons exterminated. But I must insist, Domestos is the only solution!

Hey now, Emma! Emphatizing with demons and wanting to save them is too much goodness... is what I would like to say, but on the contrary, it's almost evil. Empathy and altruism are meant for other humans, not for human-eating microbes. The blood solution of that fake messiah obviously failed before, insisting on letting them live is as good as leaving the cattle children to demons' detestable mouths. Risking the life of your comrades just to save the natural enemies of humanity is neither goodness nor naivety, it's outright being inconsiderate of human life.

That being said, I feel the mangaka thinks otherwise and portrays Norman as a cold-hearted dangerous guy. I don't think the manga will end with demons exterminated. But I must insist, Domestos is the only solution!

But then, where does the line end? People already show empathy for other, particular, creatures; pets. To say it's almost evil seems like a stretch. Especially since Emma doesn't seem to have an ulterior motives, nor does she have anything except naivety in her adorable little head. She doesn't have the nature or knowledge to manipulate demons through kindness. She just wants everyone to be happy. And, at the end of the day, she's the main character, so as the reader, we have to assume we're moving along the "everyone gets to be happy" ending route. Which plays off of Norman's current state.

He's definitely portrayed as being dangerous at this point, and I think that's more of a sort of "falling from grace" (no pun intended) on his part. He was much more in line with Emma before he got body-snatched by demons, and then his anger and negative emotions had a chance to fester. I think being away from Emma allowed him to become more radical, especially since he had allies who were more supportive of those actions. I imagine if he had escaped with Emma and Ray, he would've been kept in check a little better. But, having gotten free reigns, he's accomplished a lot through methods that Emma would've otherwise been against. I doubt he has any reason to think otherwise at this point. His way works, and since everything is on a much grander scale, there isn't much of a reason to entertain Emma's wholesome, naive goodness. But, I imagine Emma will eventually wear him down with talk-no-jutsu.

Surely, it's hard to draw a line and say,"emphatize with this but don't emphatize with that". In fact, it's quite probable that humans have the capacity to emphatize with all leving beings. But demons, as self-conscious and socal as they may be, are parasitic over-sized microbes who have a natural tendency to eat humans. Parasite and its host, be definition cannot coexist. What Emma defends is as good as defending the right to live of poliovirus.
One could say humans behave in a similar way for other animals, I cannot argue with that. But who could judge a cow or a lamb for attempting to exterminate humans? In fact, that kind of fiction helps us understand our cruelty to other living beings. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells might be the first example of such literature. Parasyte - the maxim or this series are anime/manga examples.

Back