The Promised Neverland 2nd Season

I really would love to know why they decided to take the direction they did in this adaptation. I know they gave a heads up they were going to rewrite a few things, but now that the show is over, all they did was cut and speedrun the rest of the story and changed the ending. It's mind-boggling, the manga was finished.
I gave this 3/10, it was going to be 4 and then the last five minutes with the Powerpoint slides running through what could've been a season 3 really rubbed me the wrong way. This is purely speculation, but I wonder if they were originally going to do a season 3, saw the negative reactions midway season 2, then just decided to crash it into the ground now to cut their losses vs dragging it out for a 3rd season.

Promised Neverland's manga was such a huge hit and sold incredibly well. I think if they stuck to adapting the original story, it still would have been profitable and CloverWorks could have had a hit series to continue working on for probably four or so seasons. I'm just so curious on the motive behind the writing decisions with the show; season 2 had none of the intricacies you felt in TPN's original plot and character developments/interactions.

Anyways, allow me to be the 63rd person to reiterate you should read the manga instead and that it's worth checking out.

From some of the posts I saw on Twitter, this wasn't a choice by the studio. Artists were frustrated themselves. One of the artists went on quite a rant.

Also, there was a rumour about the author thinking that people didn't like his ending so he wanted to give the people something else. Which makes sense...

I heard rumours that the delays were making it tough to push the show forward as well. It wasn't the main focus, wonder egg project had a higher priority

It just feels that after episode 4, the author allowed the studio to go in with whatever ideas they wanted but that things just started to pile up, and they basically got pressured going down this route.

And I read a little of the manga, after the farm chapters it really didn't reach that same level of quality. Even if they followed the manga this show would have ended up with like a 7/10 or something like that.

It happens, it's tough to be consistent with these type of stories when there are multiple anime seasons and 40+ manga chapters.

But we all agree that this really wasn't what this show deserved

Last edited:
Watched the last episode... my first reaction was anger and disappointment. Still feeling it. But after rewatching that montage, I couldn't stop myself from laughing at manga scenes that anime-only watchers will never understand. They really crashed and burned this anime, and to think this was one of my most anticipated animes this season LOL.

Last edited:
From some of the posts I saw on Twitter, this wasn't a choice by the studio. Artists were frustrated themselves. One of the artists went on quite a rant.

Also, there was a rumour about the author thinking that people didn't like his ending so he wanted to give the people something else. Which makes sense...

I heard rumours that the delays were making it tough to push the show forward as well. It wasn't the main focus, wonder egg project had a higher priority

It just feels that after episode 4, the author allowed the studio to go in with whatever ideas they wanted but that things just started to pile up, and they basically got pressured going down this route.

And I read a little of the manga, after the farm chapters it really didn't reach that same level of quality. Even if they followed the manga this show would have ended up with like a 7/10 or something like that.

It happens, it's tough to be consistent with these type of stories when there are multiple anime seasons and 40+ manga chapters.

But we all agree that this really wasn't what this show deserved

shame really. my friend read the manga and she hated how the last half was. the quality of the ending was so rushed. So we were really glad when the anime started to do stuff differently. but then this happen. Season one was so good and this just....shame

shame really. my friend read the manga and she hated how the last half was. the quality of the ending was so rushed. So we were really glad when the anime started to do stuff differently. but then this happen. Season one was so good and this just....shame

They all rushed it for this sh*t of an ending? It was bad through the season but never thought it would end THIS bad.
The only worse ending in human history is that of Lost.

After seeing TPN s2 drop out of the top rankings on the seasonal page and all those upvoted lowscore reviews i thought to myself: "what's going on here, surely it can't bet that bad".
But here i am after finishing s2, yeah it really wasn't great.
Season 1 did a great job at conveying the feeling of horror & entrapment the children felt and, with mother & sister krone, had really fleshed out enemies.
Season 2, well, not so much. All the locations throughout s2 felt generic & unimportant. The children were there because they had to be somewhere. But that's all the background we get. Same for the often replaced enemy of the week. Not going to even mention the slide show in the last episode...
All in all s2 is like taking a normal everyday shit: You squeeze it out, press the flush and have forgotten about it 10 seconds later.
The only thing i am debating with myself now is, if good shows that never got a second season (eg. no game no life) are actually better off that way.

PS: as the manga has "only" 180 chapters, does it actually adapt the slideshow ? Or does it have a similar ending point ? Would appriciate it if a manga reader could clarify (maybe on my profile to not clutter this thread). Thanks.

Now that I have had a bit to myself to let everything sink in.... WHAT THE ACTUAL HORSEFUCK IS THAT ENDING ?!?
Currently an anime-only viewer but I will definitely be checking out the manga now after that dumpster fire of a season. The season started off strong but then the pacing started getting weird and I started to lose interest. Picked up again at random points and then the last episode happened and I wanted to scream. I still have so many unanswered questions :(. I feel so guilty giving it a low rating since used to be one of my all-time favourite animes that I would happily recommend to people.

they say ignorance is bliss. as someone who haven't read the manga i'm enjoying this show as is. some times it feels a bit rushed like why isn't there an entire episode on normans experience in lambda?

A bit rushed? They just skipped God knows how many months ahead without any proper explanation. They also skipped about 80% of the manga apparently, which I didn't read, but even I can see this is rushed AF without having to consult the source material.

How convenient that the old man happens to be a demon who got saved 700 years ago and survived all that time without anyone finding out. How convenient that he was the one who found the dying human 15 years ago that had a part of the pen that the kids had in their possession. How convenient that the pen shows a map of the entire Gracefield building. How convenient that the place also has a cure for their illness and a gate to get to the human world. Maybe it should also have had a button that would put all of the bad guys asleep on the day of the raid and a jetpack so they can fly in from above.

Good lord, what a trainwreck.

It baffles me that they thought they could get away with this.

Last edited:
A bit rushed? They just skipped God knows how many months ahead without any proper explanation. They also skipped about 80% of the manga apparently, which I didn't read, but even I can see this is rushed AF without having to consult the source material.

How convenient that the old man happens to be a demon who got saved 700 years ago and survived all that time without anyone finding out. How convenient that he was the one who found the dying human 15 years ago that had a part of the pen that the kids had in their possession. How convenient that the pen shows a map of the entire Gracefield building. How convenient that the place also has a cure for their illness and a gate to get to the human world. Maybe it should also have had a button that would put all of the bad guys asleep on the day of the raid and a jetpack so they can fly in from above.

Good lord, what a trainwreck.

It baffles me that they thought they could get away with this.
well the reply you're quoting is old. the anime was still airing back then...

I enjoyed S2 much more than S1 for sure. The Norman's survival seemed idiotic at first, but they played it out well. Some of the drama had to be sacrificed in order for that ending to work out well. It's life reaffirming enough for even Emma not to appear as annoying anymore.

Rushing out with an outright slideshow is in poor taste. Not sure why they couldn't make one more EP to wrap things up in a more wholesome way. Considering it being a successful title especially. But everything is explained, at least. It's eventful and got a semblance of logic to back it up. 6.5/10

Last edited:
My god this felt so rushed. Why would they ever do a slideshow ending for such important parts of a series ?

Sad thing is it seems like they could have made some solid seasons if they just took their time and flushed the story out. It had a solid core behind it if they built around it and did it right. Man season one was so good too .... what a waste.

3/5 but i am going to read manga and lower it depending on how bad they fucked it up lol

Read the manga 100x better although it starts to slide at the end, somewhat.

For those who wonder where it starts to differ the most and how much is the same MANGA SPOILERS

The biggest first difference is when they reach the bunker. Inside the meet a human male from the last escape 15 years ago, now an adult. He wants them gone and try's to kick them out of bunker and later on try's to kill them when on a journey. He is basically emotionally scared from losing all his friends and being alone so long, comes around in end. That being said there are small differences even before this. They setup and explain things better. Like the Pen, the guide book, the world etc.

The core story with the evil-blooded and the Ratri clan stays the same for the most part. Its just executed differently with more detail, build up and not skipping so many arcs. Its much better for sure. The best skipped arc is a hunting game one. Basically Demon nobles hunting kids for sport. Happens right after they get to the bunker and is the journey they go on with the old man its really good, Emma is a beast. Way more guns and fighting then in the anime at this point and going forward. There was a armory in the bunker behind the piano instead of nothing in anime.

Also the clip show at the very end with random scenes condenses many arcs in like 10 sec. Manga you actual have a fight for the capital with the queen against a demon army setup by Norman. The dragon with the little demon is like a the demon god that Emma makes a promise with to let her and all humans go to the human world. Many many more small and big things and stuff i missed like dozens of new characters, but in general everything is just done so much better then anime. Read it!

After reading the manga i can only hope for a remake like 10 years from now. Although this time they will probably mess up Season 1.

I had heard so many negative things bout this season that I really put off watching it for a long time. Coming from someone who never read the manga, I enjoyed it. Although they could have made an entire other season rather than that montage that was at the end and that was a little annoying. overall it was half decent. I finished it in a day.

Here for the Anime Bingo Challenge.

Im not finished watching it yet, but the series has already started off very interesting and attention catching.

And ugh, the duality of Sonju!

Just finished watching episode 3 and uh, it's rather disappointing. Maybe the shelter they've found will bring back some of the atmosphere of season 1, but so far it just feels disjointed and lacking any purpose or goal.
Random demons conveniently appear to save the party, their goals are as random... Say, half of the kids will survive and not get any diseases, "breed" (like the demon said) and make more "prey". How many years will it take? How many incidents may happen in the mean time? Just makes no sense he'd keep them around and teach them basic survival just to have more prey in the future... possibly. At least go with them. It's not like he has anything to do there, no?

I avoid reading reviews in general, but I did see some for this season. People claimed that things move too fast and the season is too rushed. So far I don't see this. If anything, it feels too slow with not much going on. There's only 8 episodes left.

I become a little too critical and picky after wrapping up an anime I like a lot, so maybe this is why I'm not enjoying it that much? We'll see..

i have never seen an anime/show make this hard a crash ever... i hope another studio can remake season 2 into the beloved followup that its meant to be...

i rly loved season 1 and was excited for the continuation but everyone seems to hate s2? may i ask if its really that bad and should i watch it lol? (i havent read the manga btw)

i rly loved season 1 and was excited for the continuation but everyone seems to hate s2? may i ask if its really that bad and should i watch it lol? (i havent read the manga btw)

The first 4 episodes are ok, but then everything goes downhill. Everything is rushed, the characters go "out of character" because there is no time to learn what changes them, and therefore everything feels contrived.

I didn't read the manga, my opinion is based only on the anime. It seems they crammed 150+ chapters in the last 4 episodes of S2, the first 4 were actual manga material, and in between there is filler content to try to transition into the condensed story.

So my recommendation will be to skip it and use your imagination or read the manga. Although regarding the manga, I've been told that only the next arc is good (the one that was supposed to be the real S2 "Goldy Pond Battle Arc"), then the story goes downhill anyway and most people are not satisfied with the manga ending either.

Perhaps some manga readers can tell if is worth reading the whole manga?

Back