The Perfect Insider

Episode 2
That was a little better than the first episode but was still very meh. At least there was that creepy doll thing at the end to make things a bit more interesting and from the looks of it things should pick up somewhat in the next episode. Other than that it felt like little to nothing really happened again. One good thing I can say about this is the visuals look nice (it's not much but I wanted to say something positive here).
]My problem is that it all seemed somewhat silly. We have some math geniuses that... go camping.
Also, pedo-alert.:pokerface:
I am still intrigued about the plot, but if it takes you 5 episodes (out of 11 eps) to set the scene, don't expect me to care.

]
I am still intrigued about the plot, but if it takes you 5 episodes (out of 11 eps) to set the scene, don't expect me to care.
Yeah, I'm really hoping the pacing will pick up so that doesn't happen but I have a bad feeling that it probably won't. I've watched various slow-paced shows before but there's usually something interesting that happens that gets me interested in the story/characters/etc. So far the only interesting thing that happened was that doll thing at the end of episode 2 and that was in the last minute or so.

I watched this yesterday, but didn't have a chance to post here till now.

Episode 2

I'm lucky I don't need to have constant action going on to keep me interested.This -is- a very philosophical show; they established that in the first episode. To be expected there'd be a lot of talking and no real action.
Although they've said it several times, Nishinosono does not at all seem her age. She talks and acts and looks just a middle schooler. And her rich girl ingenue act seems implausible and that she doesn't know everyday things unrealistic. They want us to really believe she's never used a knife and doesn't know what yakiniku sauce is, although she's almost an adult now, and has a habit of exploring to find out things about which she's curious?

I liked her character at first, but now she feels contrived. In fact, all of these characters do, now.

Hey, @Vega, you found the doll part creepy? I find Magata herself creepy - locking herself away from the world with absolutely no outside contact for years. And everyone embraces this as acceptable, just because she committed homicide years ago and got away with it by verdict of temporary insanity? And is she super rich too that she can set up this state-of-the-art-lab and everything on her deserted island and hire a full staff who oblige her every whim?

In any show that portrays itself as realistic, I find it difficult to enjoy when the show tries to force me to believe/accept/accommodate ideas that are totally unrealistic. It ruins my whole immersion experience and causes a disconnection, distancing me from making strong associations.
Still interested, but now much more skeptical and leery of where this is going.

In any show that portrays itself as realistic, I find it difficult to enjoy when the show tries to force me to believe/accept/accommodate ideas that are totally unrealistic. It ruins my whole immersion experience and causes a disconnection, distancing me from making strong associations.

I'm not really sure where you getting the realistic part from. Nothing about the show is realistic. It's a bunch of navel gazing computer science geeks solving a Scooby-Doo mystery on Spooky Island.

I'm not really sure where you getting the realistic part from. Nothing about the show is realistic. It's a bunch of navel gazing computer science geeks solving a Scooby-Doo mystery on Spooky Island.
The presentation! This show is presenting itself as though it is something that could actually happen, when the fantastical circumstances belie that premise. To me, this show does NOT come across as a Once Upon A Time, This thing happened story, aka fantasy or fairy tale setup. To me, it sets up like a SoL then goes into its spooky mystery thing. Scooby Doo has an anthropomorphic (kinda) talking dog as a full character - that screams NOT REAL NOT REAL. "Navel gazing computer science geeks" I know too many of them irl for these to scream "unrealistic".

Last edited:
It does not get better in episode 3. I watched it this morning and I was to busy to write something here. Now, I realize I pretty much forgot everything that happen.
Even though I like the premise of the anime and because of that I am willing to let some things slide, I can't stand the fact that it presents itself as smart/mature/logical when it's, as @ZetsubouKaiji said, "a bunch of navel gazing computer science geeks solving a Scooby-Doo mystery on Spooky Island".

It does not get better in episode 3. I watched it this morning and I was to busy to write something here. Now, I realize I pretty much forgot everything that happen.
Oh boy... this is gonna suck isn't it? xD
I watched this yesterday, but didn't have a chance to post here till now.

Episode 2

I'm lucky I don't need to have constant action going on to keep me interested.This -is- a very philosophical show; they established that in the first episode. To be expected there'd be a lot of talking and no real action.
Hey, @Vega, you found the doll part creepy? I find Magata herself creepy - locking herself away from the world with absolutely no outside contact for years. And everyone embraces this as acceptable, just because she committed homicide years ago and got away with it by verdict of temporary insanity? And is she super rich too that she can set up this state-of-the-art-lab and everything on her deserted island and hire a full staff who oblige her every whim?
Still interested, but now much more skeptical and leery of where this is going.
I don't need constant action going on either, I just want something that'll get me hooked on the story at the very least. So far that just hasn't really happened yet (except for that one scene at the end of episode 2, but it only left a very slight impact) and most of the characters being pretty bland so far doesn't help.
I only find Magata to be somewhat creepy, mainly because to me she's about as bland as the rest of the cast though she's also the only somewhat interesting character I've seen so far.

The presentation! This show is presenting itself as though it is something that could actually happen, when the fantastical circumstances belie that premise. To me, this show does NOT come across as a Once Upon A Time, This thing happened story, aka fantasy or fairy tale setup. To me, it sets up like a SoL then goes into its spooky mystery thing. Scooby Doo has an anthropomorphic (kinda) talking dog as a full character - that screams NOT REAL NOT REAL. "Navel gazing computer science geeks" I know too many of them irl for these to scream "unrealistic".
I don't think the show is trying to present itself as realistic. If it is, it's doing a really bad job! To be honest, I don't know any navel gazing computer science geeks irl. :-P

Episode 3
Oh wow. 19 minutes (I was able to cut both the opening and ending out of every episode which shortens the time a bit) and the only time something important happened was at the beginning and the end of the episode. Is this how it's going to be throughout? >_<
I also think that Magata's dead body is very... off somehow. Wouldn't there be much more blood if her limbs were amputated? Also, why didn't anyone bother to take the body off of the cart so they could examine the body more closely for clues? I'm almost convinced that body is a mannequin of some kind. I'm probably being a bit too nitpicky here but it just seemed so strange to me.

Last edited:
I don't think the show is trying to present itself as realistic. If it is, it's doing a really bad job!
You think this presents itself as a fantasy???? I think I agree with @FriendlyDemon in "that it presents itself as smart/mature/logical" and respectfully disagree with you and Zetsu that this show isn't trying to set a realistic tone.
To be honest, I don't know any navel gazing computer science geeks irl. :-P
Maybe you are lucky? Almost all of my friends fit that description! hahaha
Episode 3
Oh wow. 19 minutes (I was able to cut both the opening and ending out of every episode which shortens the time a bit) and the only time something important happened was at the beginning and the end of the episode. Is this how it's going to be throughout? >_<
I still watch both - to me, the OP and ED are part of the show's identity in my mind. I only ever skip if I'm in a time crunch or I find the song stupid and annoying... and I still like this OP.
I also think that Magata's dead body is very... off somehow. Wouldn't there be much more blood if her limbs were amputated? Also, why didn't anyone bother to take the body off of the cart so they could examine the body more closely for clues? I'm almost convinced that body is a mannequin of some kind. I'm probably being a bit too nitpicky here but it just seemed so strange to me.
Dead bodies don't bleed like living ones, so cutting off limbs would be a far less "bloody" undertaking if the limbs were amputated many hours after death. At least, I think that's what they are implying. Blood coagulates and thickens after death (the longer dead, the less liquid blood left in a body), and there is no heart beating to spurt out liquid blood. And I don't think they are moving the body much more than they need to because they are waiting for the police to come and examine the body and the scene. I don't think they plan to be the chief investigators, although the story seems to be developing that way.

So, Episode 3

I agree that the pacing is a bit maddening, and I wish they'd let more happen rather than drag things out to build suspense. <- this -is- what they are doing, right?

This really IS turning out to be Spooky Island, isn't it?
I suppose the director's death will turn out to have more meaning, but at this point, it's just, like, Really???? And I'll be super upset if the younger lookalike sister has anything to do with the crime.

(I'm really really bad at guessing what's going to happen in shows, and therefore never try to predict anything and am unhappy when a show tries to make me guess by hitting me over the head with foreshadowing. I'm the type that has to have everything explained to me, and that reacts to what's presented, not one that is constantly saying "I saw that coming a mile away." If it is something that -I- saw coming, then the show was much too blunt and heavy-handed about presenting it.)

I'm really hoping sis had nothing to do with it. But I didn't like the way they were commenting about the timing of her visit and her similarity to her sister. Let's just hope it's red herring material.

Just because something doesn't present as fantasy or a once upon a time fairy tale doesn't mean it's attempting to be realistic. The whole set up for the show is fairly unrealistic with a locked up reclusive genius murderer invites a group to her mystery island for mysterious reasons. It's not a real life scenario it's game of Clue. That's not a bad thing obviously, it's the rest of the show that's a bad thing.

I wouldn't want a sequel for this. Not because I didn't enjoy my time with it overall, which I did, but because I felt it's a self-contained story that doesn't really need a continuation.

Following up on the mystery/detective-ish work angle would be kind of missing the mark because while that's the kind of material this series ended up as, it's not meant to be portrayed as the kind of activity the protagonists would pursue or even go along with if a case presented itself in different circumstances. They'd probably just ignore another murder case or similar such crimes - they just had some personal stakes attached to this one that made them stick through.

I hope that the sister is the actual Magata and that the pedo-alert is real.

I don't think that this anime is supposed to reflect reality, but tries to present a "wannabe Sherlock Holmes" in an illogical situation and how this person, forced by the nature of the setting, is the one that will solve it.
I think we are supposed to enjoy it as a mystery ("a game of Clue" as @ZetsubouKaiji said). I might be wrong, but ce la vie.
Up to this point I certainly enjoy parts of it and dislike others but the ending also matters. It can move as slow as it wants if everything is properly explained. If I will be left with big questions or I will be feed some bullshit (like a killer doll), I will most certainly be pissed!

Just because something doesn't present as fantasy or a once upon a time fairy tale doesn't mean it's attempting to be realistic. The whole set up for the show is fairly unrealistic with a locked up reclusive genius murderer invites a group to her mystery island for mysterious reasons. It's not a real life scenario it's game of Clue. That's not a bad thing obviously, it's the rest of the show that's a bad thing.
You guys REALLY don't feel this is presented as a reality show? I think this is trying to be realistic in the way that cop shows on tv are realistic. Sure, there's a bunch of stuff that doesn't happen every day in real life, but the tone of the show, in my eyes (and apparently ONLY my eyes) is realism.

btw, Clue and Sherlock Holmes are "realism" to me, as well...

Just because it's fictional doesn't mean it isn't realistic. It's unrealistic things presented in a realistic way. To me.

I just don't get why you guys keep telling me that I shouldn't expect realism from something that presents itself as realistic to me. That I should be fine with unrealistic things happening because it isn't at all realistic.

Well, I'll just express my impressions here, and you guys please try to ignore that I don't see the show the same way y'all do and I'll do the same. We'll agree to disagree.

ETA: I told my sis about our differing perceptions and I like her summing up of the situation: They are watching Scooby Doo, and I'm watching Law and Order. hahaha

Last edited:
Episode 4
Not really liking the direction this is going, and it sure is taking its time getting there. As you guys warned me, they are playing detective, now that there will be no police involvement. So why the heck AREN'T they investigating the BODIES more? as previously mentioned by @Vega I think.

For wanna-be detectives, they sure don't do much real investigating and spend tons of time philosophizing.

Last edited:
Episode 4
Not really liking the direction this is going, and it sure is taking its time getting there. As you guys warned me, they are playing detective, now that there will be no police involvement. So why the heck AREN'T they investigating the BODIES more? as previously mentioned by @Vega I think.

For wanna-be detectives, they sure don't do much real investigating and spend tons of time philosophizing.
IKR? Shouldn't they be, I dunno, investigating instead of babbling about stuff since there's supposedly a killer among them? The lab has high-tech equipment (I think) so I don't think the investigating would be too hard for them to do since they could have the computer doing most of the work (if it's reliable at least).
I wonder if I should just speed up playback for all the remaining episodes...

Back