The most important anime of 2020

Tower of god may be the first webtoon adapted into an anime... but I dont know about it being the most important because of that, because it was inevitable webtoons would get adaptations. Though how are we defining important? I would go with most influential, that is hard to say without hindsight.

Interspecies Reviewers actually may be up there since that kind of borderline H being a proper show rather then just ecchi for ecchi, and all the drama around it was not necessarily inevitable. This has already had impacts on the industry.
But I dont know if it will be the most important.
I actually have not watched the most popular anime this year myself... shit I only watched a single show on the first page going by anime planet's ratings.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out perhaps? being the vanguard to shows like Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro getting an adaption, but that would fall into the same trap as Tower of God.

If we're talking most important anime of 2020, then Eizouken needs to have a mention. Having an idea of what the anime industry is like feels important quite honestly, and Eizouken did a pretty good job of that. I don't want to piss off Shirobako fans, but I honestly felt bored with the story and the characters. There were too many characters and not enough time to develop them. And knowing how PA Works handles some of their projects honestly doesn't surprise me.

So obviously Eizouken did something right compared to Shirobako, cause frankly I love the characters from Eizouken.

Yes, ty absolutně bezbožný zasraný krysí parchante

Interspecies Reviewers actually may be up there since that kind of borderline H being a proper show rather then just ecchi for ecchi, and all the drama around it was not necessarily inevitable. This has already had impacts on the industry.
But I dont know if it will be the most important.
I actually have not watched the most popular anime this year myself... shit I only watched a single show on the first page going by anime planet's ratings.

Helga-I-hate-you.gif

Last edited:
This trashy thread was created just to bite us into watching some low quality vid from the guy, who isn't even a user here. He also claims that "Tower of God is the most important anime of all time". Well, haven't seen this one, although I recognize dat girl. It's Vega :d. Checked out screenshots and while I don't plan on watching that, it does look experimental. But so does Eizouken, as pointed already. I'm not sure how to define important anime. When it just came out especially. That said, Dorohedoro is the best this year endeed. And no, I watched number24 and it's very bad. Anyway, strongly disagree with the topic-starter. There are tons of way more important (influential?) shows like: Katsudou Shashin, Cream lemon, Hakujaden, Momotaro, Ghost in the shell, etc.

The only show I remember watching all year was Japan Sinks so I guess I'll go with that. It had a whole arc dedicated to a weed paradise so it's a tier A show.

Important to who? That distinction kinda matters to answering the question.

I mean for me personally it's Great Pretender. For the industry it's probably Tower of God due to the whole webtoon thing, and for every pervert's own dick and balls, it's Interspecies Reviewers.

Important to who? That distinction kinda matters to answering the question.

I mean for me personally it's Great Pretender. For the industry it's probably Tower of God due to the whole webtoon thing, and for every pervert's own dick and balls, it's Interspecies Reviewers.

I would totally watch Great Pretender for its portrayal of America, or a bunch of people wildly shooting guns and cheering and I’m just assuming they’re Americans because murica. And Interspecies is also industry, pushing the envelope of monster girl prostitution that challenges what we view in a society, because we live in a society.

If we're talking most important anime of 2020, then Eizouken needs to have a mention. Having an idea of what the anime industry is like feels important quite honestly, and Eizouken did a pretty good job of that. I don't want to piss off Shirobako fans, but I honestly felt bored with the story and the characters. There were too many characters and not enough time to develop them. And knowing how PA Works handles some of their projects honestly doesn't surprise me.

So obviously Eizouken did something right compared to Shirobako, cause frankly I love the characters from Eizouken.

Even if i didn't enjoy Eizouken, I admit that it deserves a special mention on this discussion.

Back