The God of High School

I just started watching Tower of God, is it bad??
I thought it was good! The rapid pacing makes some parts feel a bit rushed and some of the changes/cuts from the source material get mixed reactions, but I had a fun time with it.

I also recommend checking out the webtoon afterwards cause it's pretty good and I have a bad feeling that a second anime season might cut too much unless it has more than 13 episodes.

Episode 1
Honestly, I was hooked immediately. Awesome action and animation with decent character designs (red nose and ears aside) served as good eye candy and the comedy hooked some laughs or smirks from me too. Judging from the thread, it doesn't sound like we're in for an amazing plot or groundbreaking story, so I'll temper expectations on that front and remain hopeful this show will keep delivering on the spectacle. I was also a fan of the EDM soundtrack, I'm excited to hear more of it as the show progresses.

At the very least it's an okay time waster, just a hard recommendation cause there isn't much substance. If it stays like this I'd probably give it a 3 out of 5. I know that's only one episode but I don't expect much if Coal's post is anything to go by.

Based on you guys reactions to the first episode, i don't think you're going to be overly hyped with much of this first season. I have a morbid desire for this first season to do well though, because i'd enjoy reading the posts for what would be an awful second season.

I do quite like the animation and art style though. It's not original really, but it's pretty good.

I just finished watching the first episode and overall, I enjoyed it. The protagonists seem interesting enough, but I hope Mira Yoo (the girl of the trio) is a strong female character that doesn't need to be rescued every time she's fighting an enemy and loses the upper hand. And I hope the anime covers what the heck that opening scene was with the "coffin island".

Did this have much structure? No

Did this tell me anything about the three main characters or their world? No

Did all the characters look like they were suffering from a cold? Yes

Did this have some crazy animation and fight scenes? Yes, and this alone will keep me here.

Now I hope there's more substance to come and it's not all flash, but that flash sure is nice. Though it could just end up being another Fire Force and I'd rather avoid that at all costs.

Ep 1

It did some interesting things, the flashback to him being young was in a style I like a lot. The music was interesting.
The animation in the fight scenes, I dont know, they felt bad to me. Snappy and quick shots so it looks flashy but it didnt actually didnt show anything great. Which is kinda dissappointing considering this webtoon is just one giant fight scene.

That fake trailer webtoon did some years ago was much more impressive. On the other hand I understand they cant go full out on every fight scene but this was the opening episode where you need to hook people.

I thought it was good! The rapid pacing makes some parts feel a bit rushed and some of the changes/cuts from the source material get mixed reactions, but I had a fun time with it.

I also recommend checking out the webtoon afterwards cause it's pretty good and I have a bad feeling that a second anime season might cut too much unless it has more than 13 episodes.

They cant put S2 in one anime season. It will be multiple seasons. S2 is +300 chapters.

Anyways, interested how this GOH adaption will go.

PS Tower of God, God of Highschool...gimme God of Bath too...

Episode 2

This was fucking stupid. They spend about half the episode trying to add backstories to these characters and it doesn't work for me because this show has already established itself as a plot-secondary fight show to an extreme degree with the first episode. Finally we get to the big-ass fight we've been waiting for and to be honest it was enjoyable (minus the backstory choppily squeezed in and the fact that I don't care about either of the fighters)... until the MC decided to very suddenly pop into the ring because of course he has to show up. I can switch off my brain to a point but this was way too fucking stupid. Still very much a not great/not terrible episode, but this level of stupid was a bit much and I have a harder time turning my brain off when the level of stupid is too high. I shudder to think about what this show may be like once it tries to go inevitably in a more plot focused direction.

I know we're only on the second episode, but this feels like a waste of Mappa's resources and it fucking hurts. The budget here could have gone towards Dorohedoro season 2! Fuck.

Whats
At least it isn't tower of god
wrong with Tower of God???

Episode 2

This was fucking stupid. They spend about half the episode trying to add backstories to these characters and it doesn't work for me because this show has already established itself as a plot-secondary fight show to an extreme degree with the first episode. Finally we get to the big-ass fight we've been waiting for and to be honest it was enjoyable (minus the backstory choppily squeezed in and the fact that I don't care about either of the fighters)... until the MC decided to very suddenly pop into the ring because of course he has to show up. I can switch off my brain to a point but this was way too fucking stupid. Still very much a not great/not terrible episode, but this level of stupid was a bit much and I have a harder time turning my brain off when the level of stupid is too high. I shudder to think about what this show may be like once it tries to go inevitably in a more plot focused direction.

I know we're only on the second episode, but this feels like a waste of Mappa's resources and it fucking hurts. The budget here could have gone towards Dorohedoro season 2! Fuck.
Eh. The webtoon version was amazing so i disagree. Quite happy that its an anime now

Love that this is finally an anime after reading the manga version. So congrats on finally making it to animation!!!

To be perfectly honest this episode failed to impress me because it was unfocused and generally confusing. It seems like world building was almost totally sacrificed in favor of flashy action scenes and flat, humorless gags. This is certainly not DBZ by any stretch, but it has may provide some nicely choreographed fight scenes to enjoy.
It actually does an amazing job of that later. its like coming in at the end of a series only to find a new one starting lol. Just read it on webtoons and you will see

The first season yes but in the webtoon season 2 is awesome
no. It is awesome though i hate the ending cause you know it makes you wait for the next season lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

goddaaayum!

they're already calling out like, specific techniques and shit with this tai chi guy. I gotta say, it's awesome how
he actually did get him to use his arms, but too bad he totally overwhelmed the guy. That fight animation was dummy. God, so cooool.

I am totally on board with this tournament style anime. The characters are all unique enough to where i already care at least a little that they're fighting. And it doesn't take itself too seriously. It doesn't have too much mystery either, and the characters so far aren't too annoying. Even the annoying ones in this one have some substance to them, i can see there's more to them than meets the eye already. Like this dreadlocked guy.
This is already leagues better than tower of god. Love it. Was not expecting to enjoy this so much. But this has good old fashioned battle shounen down to a science. Give us the action first, elaborate later if need be. Don't spend so much time up your own ass with lore. Just cut, to, the, chase.

Good stuff! I hope it stays this good and doesn't squander all this good stuff it's doing later on like say, MHA would do.

Also I forgot to mention in my post, I now realize why you were all saying that these characters look like they have a cold... this aspect of the art style is annoying me greatly. At one point I'm pretty sure I yelled "WEAR A FUCKIN MASK".

Episode 2:

MAPPA sure does know how to push the animation in a fight scene. It's not the flashiest animation I've seen, but it sure does have a sense of movement and power. I just want the show to keep ratcheting up the ridiculous fight. Hopefully all the nobodies have gotten bodied. I want to see more mid-air kick battles that pretend like they're some godly form of Taekwondo.

I can just like check my e-mail while the characters aren't fighting.

Episode 2:

MAPPA sure does know how to push the animation in a fight scene. It's not the flashiest animation I've seen, but it sure does have a sense of movement and power. I just want the show to keep ratcheting up the ridiculous fight. Hopefully all the nobodies have gotten bodied. I want to see more mid-air kick battles that pretend like they're some godly form of Taekwondo.

I can just like check my e-mail while the characters aren't fighting.
the true god of high school were the Nigerian princes who emailed us for our credit card information along the way

Back