The Case Study of Vanitas

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Zed, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Jul 3, 2021
    EP 1:
    This opening is so beautiful. I am really glad that Mochizuki Jun got an adaptation worthy of her skills.

2. worknboy

worknboy Well-Known Member

it has piqued my curiosity. I always come with an open mind on new anime.

howtoprocrastinate and g3data like this.
  3. TheCautionBandi

TheCautionBandi Active Member

Episode 1
    Episode 1 felt like a classic introduction into a shonen anime. Characters are some place, save someone, then introduce themselves. It was a pretty good introduction episode but there's not really much to say about it. The animation was beautiful, but that's a given since Bones is animating it. I really like the aesthetic and the two main characters are so far really likeable. Can't wait to see where this one goes!

4. Siobhan100

Siobhan100 Member

Really loving the steampunk vibes form this show.
    Kinda annoying when they literally tell you that a main character dies tho.

5. Aerythrin

Aerythrin Active Member

A really promising first episode! I suspect there may be more to the spoiler they revealed than meets the eye….haven’t read the manga tho, so I don’t want to know whether I’m right or not - just often, anime tease stuff like that and it doesn’t exactly turn out the way that’s expected. Probably won’t keep up with this on a weekly basis as I won’t be able to wait for the next ep, but expecting to watch the first 3 then just binge-watch at the end of the season. Enjoy everyone! :D

6. Cordierite

Cordierite New Member

It's a history. That's why you get to know in the beginning.

Siobhan100 likes this.
  7. howtoprocrastinate

howtoprocrastinate Well-Known Member

Episode 1
    Not really much to comment on that has already been said. Beautiful animation, but it's a bit of generic setup. I'm interested in the blue moon and crimson moon thing. It's a different take on vampires and I like it

I wish they had at least foreshadowed it instead of straight up saying it.

Shihai likes this.
  8. Kakajoju

Kakajoju Well-Known Member

Episode 1
    Ah, I've been waiting for an adaption of this ever since I finished Pandora Hearts and I have to say, I'm not the least bit disappointed with the first episode. I especially cannot wait to see more of Vanitas as I've fallen in love with his personality.

9. Hesperide

Hesperide Database Moderator Silver Supporter

I don't blame Noe, I would want to throw Vanitas at monsters too.

And I thought I told the show to dial back the shounen stuff!

Still a decent second episode, with some lore building. I am really curious about the book and what all it can do.

howtoprocrastinate likes this.
  10. MisterDapper

MisterDapper Well-Known Member

This show should have the comedy tag. It's hilarious

11. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Episode 2.
    That bitch be scary with that big ass gauntlet thingy.

12. howtoprocrastinate

howtoprocrastinate Well-Known Member

Episode 2
    Not Noe being in jail because of Vanitas

Now using Vanitas to take the bad guys down lol

13. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

Studio boners made a steampunk vampires adaptation. It's partially giving me good vibes, but mostly bad ones.
    For one, is it suppose to be subversion of expectations that noe is the vampire and vanitas is just a normal guy? Because once that revelation came about, I was already making connections in my head about how he survives landing neck-first into neck-breaking stuff, and now I'm just confused.

For two, this has the same vibe as bungo stray dogs and sk8 the infinity: a show that will have a relatively small but still active mostlyfemale fanbase of who will absolutely insist that all the characters are gay, and even though the show itself is quite good, it will only be seen as "the _____ show with gay subtext".

And it seems actually chemically made to be that. There's really not a lot else going on here character-wise. There are two male main characters. They are obviously fujo-bait, they're intended to be fujo-bait, because they have no other purpose in the story- or rather, it seems like the selection of these two characters as protagonists and the dynamic it sets up does not whatsoever fit the premise or setting or tone, but the target audience instead.

However...

Episode one did have a steampunk airship.

A STEAMPUNK

AIRSHIP.

I'm on board.
    [​IMG]

Nekus, howtoprocrastinate and g3data like this.
  14. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

Oh crape diem! Sweet steampunk jesus, that's nothing to be coffin at. What an unbalanced looking weapon, though.

This is kind of fun, now that I'm watching the second episode. Sure I'm picking out plot failings every now and then, but at the end of the episode I've already forgotten about most of it.

Oh, and- for god's sake, dial up the shounen stuff.

15. westhoy

westhoy New Member

I think we watch different animes

16. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

Well he certainly dispatched that situation quickly, I guess carpe diem won't be seizing any more days.

Wait so vanitas IS a vampire? Or, part-vampire? So what's the point of him saying he's human? Seems like a massive red herring to me, to just explain things away by contradicting the premise.

Oh shiiit, sexual assault. Yooo this guy is SO cool for sexually assaulting this girl and being all creepy. What a cool protagonist. So fucking cool.
    Yo fuck this, actually. I'm probably going to stall this.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  17. lainskywalker11

lainskywalker11 Active Member

didn't really like that side of vanitas ngl. i was uncomfortable troughout that entire kiss
    that aside, i feel like this episode was pretty neat with the reveal of noé's powers (or whatever), the new character and the whatever the hell that thing was with the parade in t. i expected it to be at the lamp or in front of her, or catch up but it still scared me a little
    also, off-topic but i really like jeanne's voice. i feel like watching some other stuff with her VA now

howtoprocrastinate and Rascal like this.
  18. OshiriPenPen

OshiriPenPen Well-Known Member

Episode 3:
    Well, that was uncomfortable to watch.
    Don't think I really appreciate the MC sexually assaulting someone. What was that? Was that supposed to be edgy or something? Was that meant to be funny?

There's quirky and then there's being an unhinged sociopath.

19. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

I'm relieved that people agree here, that was absolutely not ok and the way they portrayed it was disgusting.

20. scarrletmoon

scarrletmoon New Member

Also super glad people noticed this and aren't just writing it off as a fun comedy moment.
    If Vanitas is supposed to be one of the good guys, this makes it extremely hard to root for him. There are ways to write complicated heroes and this is NOT one of them.