That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

That time I got reincarnated as a slime season 2, marks the return of our favourite slime: Rimuru Tempest, and his journey's crest and troughs of running a nation. A season filled with political satire, laughter, and violent beatdowns, it has a bit of everything. So while trying to keep this review as succinct as possible, let us dive into hopefully, not a bad review of That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2.

:: Story ~ 9 out of 10 ::
The story of this season can be compared to that of the thrill while riding a roller coaster—from exploring the banal aspects of lore building, to portraying many of the series' most memorable moments yet—while the initial part of the cour worked on fixing the plot holes and building up tension, the endgame went all in for the action. Rimuru's wrath precipitating his growth to becoming a Demon Lord, will remain one of my favourite scenes ever. Also nobody can overlook Hakurou's redemption, and Shougo's macabre yet satisfying beatdown at the hands of Gerudo. The story is in no way left wanting, and I feel it lays a robust foundation for the later seasons to reach sterling heights!

:: Art & Sound ~ 10 out of 10 ::
Although the art of TenSura can look a bit shabby, it perfectly complements the music, that never fails to disappoint. And by ringing together celebrated musicians like TRUE and STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION this time around, added that extra cherry on top. By conflating the silly yet beguiling art with some of the most ethereal music out there, I feel like this season of TenSura absolutely nails this department.

:: Characters ~ 9 out of 10 ::
The characters for the most part, at least the ones who play a significant part on the story, remain the same. The first season had a very amiable cast, hereby, this season also rubs off a similar vibe. The only "new" new addition to the cast is Mjurran (not including Diablo cause of his appearances in the OVAs), and I find her the weak link of the show. Her character and the way she is portrayed is just so soporific. Other than that, the characters of this show invigorate the overall enjoyability of the show.

:: Enjoyment & Overall ~ 10 out of 10 ::
I have had a blast watching this season, it embellished my Tuesdays with joy and laughter. It was one of, if not my favourite anime of the season. Watching each episode was a riveting experience, and couldn't wait for next week to dive into the next episode. The conglomeration of beguiling story telling, good art, top-notch music, winsome characters bounds me to give this a perfect 10! Can't wait for part 2 to come out in July!

Ep 12:
I've read the manga up to the current chapter and they could've done a better job of this. For some reason all the dialogue was cut from Veldora before he got resurrected. They might show it in the next season, but that's a dumb way of doing it. How this season was organized and what they chose to include and not include was just bad. I know it's not a great series, but it could've been better. We all should know Milim is being controlled, but the way they portrayed her was weird. Since she doesn't have any enjoyment from fighting her ally. Even the animation was weird at some points like when Demon Lord Carrion started talking. You'd think such a popular show would get better treatment.

3/5

the season was mediocre with some spice at the end.

I skimmed the conversation, what stood out is complaints and appreciation. I think the source content for this show is solid, the problem is the animated part on screen stretches the hell out of the content diluting it, and making it less enjoyable than it should be.

Of course, if you just enjoy looking at Rimaru's face, you'll probably love the 4th meaningless meeting with the other worlder kids that neither adds anything to the story that wasn't already there OR sets anything up, And you might also enjoy Rimaru's Mundane task of improving a city step by step, whereas none of that was needed this season as we got the gist of it last season and had no reason to assume Rimmaru got lazy.

Personally, as pretty as his face is, I don't like it enough to watch him do mundane things like developing a new brand of alcohol for instance which doesn't have any impact on the actual plot of the show.

And then when we do get to the plot, it drags, and I know I'm not imagining it, as I was thinking it, and then saw my thoughts expressed by someone else before I even said anything.

And they actually did a recap episode after literally, NOTHING happened.

If they had not wasted almost 2/3 of the season, the last episode could have been much better, but they didn't had enough time to make it.

The didn't show Shion's death to try and use it as a shock-factor that in the end failed miserably, the didn't show Shion's and all the others resurrection because they didn't had time, it's such a waste that it's almost sad. Just thinking what has happened when all the dead came back to life only to find the others and Rimuru sleeping, not knowing what happened. An Arch Demon inside the city waiting next to Rimuru. So much potential for some good dialogues or some strong emotional reactions and maybe even character building...

The return of Veldora was so anticlimactic and was cut in the most stupid way also because of the lack of time.

The entire season (part 1) was such a huge disappointment, probably one of the worst directed series I have seen in the last few seasons. Only 2-3 good episodes (one of them being probably the best of the season), that were dragged down but the mediocrity of the rest.

7/10 for this. I hope part 2 will be better, but after this I'm not expecting much.

Season was overall good and fun, but it had issues similar to the first season where they still skipped a lot of stuff Rimuru's entire trip to Blumund and his adventures with the Trio all the way to Engrassia which had a bunch of world building and character development stuff in it as well as not getting the right tone in some scenes. It was still good, but rather inadequate in some places.

Season was overall good and fun, but it had issues similar to the first season where they still skipped a lot of stuff Rimuru's entire trip to Blumund and his adventures with the Trio all the way to Engrassia which had a bunch of world building and character development stuff in it as well as not getting the right tone in some scenes. It was still good, but rather inadequate in some places.
So they actually cut story arcs to cram in repetitive filler? Now I'm just mad.

So they actually cut story arcs to cram in repetitive filler? Now I'm just mad.

Oh man...I made a MASSIVE info dump of stuff they skipped on S1 and like 40%(maybe more even) of that stuff can still be used in terms of skipped content. And that's BEFORE getting to the detailed explanations of how the mechanics of the world's magic, politics, and economics works which all get fleshed out a LOT in the LN, the manga, and its mainline spinoffs(Slime Diaries, Trinity, Walking the Country of Monsters).

The world of Tensura IS actually very well constructed, but the Anime doesn't do the best job of expanding on those things which is really frustrating. I'll post the info dumps later today when I've gathered them all.

OK, here's that info-dump I promised.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TenseiSlim...agic/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

A few things that the Anime skipped from the manga and LN need to be explained that I'll try and explain. Stuff is technically spoilers if you've not read the LN or Manga so be warned. Not sure if it'll come up in the Anime or not so here it is.

• The Anime went back and explained the stuff with Eurazania which was nice, but they still skipped the Blumund visit.
  • To get to Blumund, Rimuru enlists the help of the Adventure Trio and they have a makeshift adventure hiking over there when not using Rimuru's carriage(which they note is significantly better since it has suspension, and a close equivalent to modern tires).
  • During the trip they reminiscent about Shizu, draw aggro on some monster ants, collect some confusion flowers, set a conman named Bydd on the straight and narrow, and generally have a nice adventure.
  • Rimuru contemplates that once Tempest is self-sufficient, he'd like to quietly retire and become an adventurer and see the world though that could take some time and the trio could have passed on due to old age.
  • The above causes a severe pause to Rimuru where he contemplates his own life span and the potential that he could see everyone he's grown close to die off from old age and wonders if this is how Milim feels about things.
  • They arrive at Blumund and head to the guild since Rimuru needs to be B+ or better to be able to visit the HQ in Engracia.
  • They deliver the flowers at which point Rimuru realise that the Trio has shot up in rank due to fraudulently delivering high tier monster parts that his troops collects and cannot use to which they immediately avert their eyes.
  • Rimuru enlists for monster hunting and is required to take an exam carried out by former adventurer who lost his leg and holds the Trio in contempt since he suspects the aforementioned fraud.
  • The monsters are VERY disproportionate in terms of difficulty and the nervous crowd send someone to get Guildmaster Fuse.
  • Rimuru kills in order a monster hound, dark goblin, bat squad, and finally a lesser demon.
  • The lesser demon is COMPLETELY immune to physical damage and needs to be put down with magic so Rimuru coats his sword with magicules and one-shots it.
  • The gathered crowd cheers and request Rimuru join their various groups and comment on how awesome they are.
  • Guildmaster Fuse arrives and is VERY MUCH not amused since the Trio was supposed to bring him directly to him for a letter of recommendation and not cause a scene.
  • Some time later, Rimuru, Fuse, and a nobleman friend of Fuse's sit down to discuss politics and signing a treaty and discussing taxes and how they'll be done along with a pact of both peace and military support if one country needs it.
  • Rimuru meets the king and likewise discuss the previous.
  • As he leaves, it dawns upon Rimuru that while he got a good deal, he was subtly duped into having his country become a Buffer State in the event the Eastern Empire invaded since the routes taken would either be Dwargon or Jura Forest.
  • Before he sets out to Engracia, Rimuru does a flex where he showcases the Perfect Potion by regrowing the examiners leg with it baffling everyone.
  • Rimuru arrives at Engracia and everything is as normal except he's still with the Trio chatting about the city and getting the lowdown on places to avoid like the Church HQ and whatnot.
  • After his meeting with Yuki, Rimuru and the Trio part ways with him gifting them his premium carriage, a Dryad Branch Staff for Elen, a Storm Shield from a Charibdis Scale for Kaval, and a Storm Knife for Gido.
  • The Dragon attack is much more dramatic and the merchant Mjormilles and his bodyguard the aforementioned conman Bydd are caught up having returned from Tempest with some high grade potions.
  • At the recommendation of Fuse, Mjormilles visited Tempest using the Trio as his guides and found the visit stunningly pleasant. His reason for returning with Bydd was due to him being cheaper to hire than the Trio.
  • Mjormilles starts to distribute potions to the injured alongnwith Bydd when the Dragon lands right in front of them.
  • Bydd jumps inbetween him and dragon saying he should at least look cool in his final moments and Mjormilles retorts back that if they survive, he'll hire Bydd as his bodyguard full-time.
  • Rimuru appears and slashes the Dragon before using Gluttony to absorb it.
  • Mjormilles and Bydd are awestruck a this powerful engelix beauty who saved them before Mjormilles recognizes him as Rimuru when the latter comments on the potions.

This next part is relating to Falmuth.

• The king of Falmuth is driven by petty greed and racism to go after Tempest since while he COULD sign a treaty with them like Blumund and Dwargon did, he sees Rimuru as both a soft and easy mark based on his Dwargon speech about unity and peace and monsters as subhuman entities unable to comprehend let alone meriting basic human decency and dignity and goes so far as to include this in his speech.
  • During a meeting, one of the otherworlders comments that some of the things described in Tempest sound similar to concepts from home such as police boxes and patrol officers and theorize that it's possible that Tempest has an otherworlder.
  • In the LN it's shown that upon meeting her, Shogo(the martial artist otherworlder) immediately fantazises about making Shuna his sex slave which sets off Shion since she notices his lurid stares.

The side quest is a look into Rimuru's mindset and thinking along with a bit of a fuck-up on his part with the potion since it's mentioned that the King of Falmuth had heard about it and in universe it's something that many scientists and Alchemists had been trying to recreat. The issue with Rimuru's speech was all the issues that King Gazel mentioned of it being too optimistic and him lowering himself too much to others(the elf hostess liked it though and that's a bit relevant later)and made Rimuru look too soft and naive(I agree that the king's an idiot for trying to factor this).

Milim got done dirty in her Anime interpretation since the Manga and LN really drive the point that she's actually really smart.

With that in mind, the Demon Lord meeting.

The Anime skipped the entire meeting which sucks since it was really good and shows how Demon Lord politics works.

The meeting starts with both Clayman and Karion waiting on Milim thinking how she's gonna receive the Orc Lord news.

Milim joyously kicks the doors open and goes in and has company, they harpy demon lord Sky Queen Frey who was not part of the Orc Lord scheme.

The discussion on the Orc Lord starts and Milim is VERY displeased on the outcome as is Frey since she mass die offs can cause the revival of Charybdis(which later happened).

As consolation though, Clayman has crystal balls that recorded the ensuing fights of the Orc generals and Gelmud til their deaths so they don't know the actual outcome of Rimuru winning.

They plan on sending convoys into the forest to scout out the survivors and make contact with them.

Karion is interested in Ranga and the Kijin and wonders about what kind of scheme Clayman is really at and contemplates Milim's thought process on what's being proposed.

Clayman thinks both Milim and Karion are simple muscle and is planning on sending in his own spies unbeknownst to them along with neither of them knowing that Gelmud was in his employ, but wonders about Frey and what could be bothering her that he could leverage.

Frey is indifferent and only shows a middling of interest in the mysterious masked winged Majin but is preoccupied with a prophecy her seers had of Charybdis's impending revival and is aware of Milim's truer nature and thinks the others are fools for not being more wary.
Milim is massively excited and thinks the other demon lords are morons who don't know how things REALLY work and will ruin her fun unless she acts.

Just as everyone is in deep though of who to send, Milim proposes that they simply dismantle the treaty making the Forest of Jura forbidden ground citing the disappearance of Veldora since the treaty was made with him mind and them having the necessary four votes which completely blindside everyone.

Karion is pleased since it means he can just have his people march in without needing to hide anything, Frey is pleased since her territory borders Jura and her people can now freely hunt there, Clayman is displeased since this throws a wrench in his plans.

Treaty is signed into law as long as none interfere with each other and all of the demon lords go their separate ways.
Once both are alone, Clayman asks Frey if anything is bothering her saying she can confide in him.

Before going to Tempest, Milim does an insurance check and visits the other Demon Lord's saying not to interfere in Jura or her affairs.

Milim's internal monologue reveals that she was well aware that the Orc Lord plan was likely some sad pathetic attempt by Clayman and/or Karion to either militarily or politically subvert her that she was happy to play along with before crushing them when grew bored.

She took part in the scheme as a means of passing the time and her long lifespan has granted her tremendous insight on how things work, but is more than happy to play up and play along the part of hyper active child to amuse herself with the knowledge that she can brute force any issue that crops up.

Milim's invincible might has granted her territory thousands of years of peace, but also thousands of years of boredom since while effectively deify her, their primitive and rustic lifestyle with no changes or variations for millenia has bored her...a lot.

Milim is shocked to find that Tempest is such a stunningly well built town and that all of the monsters are named and easily pegs Rimuru as the strongest using her skill to read his true magicules count.

During her stay, Rimuru has a pair of Dragon Claw shaped mittens made for Milim that restrain her power by 75% so that they can spar with her without fear of death and she can interact with the townsfolk and not accidentally maim someone.

During a sparring session with Rimuru, she mentions not quite remembering why she became a Demon Lord, only that she lost something important and was very angry and sad.

She also mentions that she really doesn't have many people close to her and that Rimuru is her only friend.

Lastly, the stuff with the Church and Falmuth.

To elaborate on some previous points, the whole reason as to why the Falmuth military had to put on that dog and pony show was a combination of plausible deniability to justify going to war with Tempest who has open alligiances with two major countries, one of which is a member of the world council(Blumund) and the other is a global power in of themselves(Dwargon). The other factor is the church which has a MAJOR HATE STANCE on monsters and Falmuth wants to curry favor with them for support on said crusade against monsters.

It doesn't help that narrative control would in theory be in Falmuth's favor since outside of the immediate neighbor countries like Blumund and Dwargon, no on knows much if any info on Tempest except that it's a country of Monsters. If you're familiar with the Manga Helck, it's a bit similar to that.

One of the spinoffs and some stuff I think got trimmed a bit from the LN's is that the whole thing IS indeed a Race War where one group is openly trying to colonize another.

And yeah the merchant and adventurers who frequent Tempest were indeed sympathetic and were not pleased AT ALL with Falmuth's actions and many offered their services pro bono. Rimuru greatly appreciated the gesture, but sends them away citing this as an internal matter and sends them away using spatial teleportation rightly guessing that the invading army has scouts ready to kill them and blame the deaths on Tempest.

The consult with the Church is the important part I'll get into a moment. The week delay on the attack is due to travel distance even using forms of Legion Magic to transport their army. Keep in mind, they're still operating on the idea that Rimuru is dead(and barring that, that he's a soft and easy mark based on his Dwargon speech). They ARE being goaded by greed set off by merchants from the Eastern Empire under contract from the Clown Possee and Clayman. The church thing is important since they are one of the biggest if not the biggest) players in the setting since 80% of the human population(possibly more) are of their congregation so they have MASSIVE socio-political clout in such a way that even major players like Dwargon back off lest they get into a full-on Crusade(which due to demi-human race issues would be VERY bad).

Blumund can't do much without blowback since they're such a small nation that their position in the council is low and their freedom of religion stance is one the church is not cool with so they're excluded from the church's protection by their paladin armies from monsters or demon lord attacks.

Dwargon isn't part of the council(they're powerful enough to not have to be) and their more lenient rights to monsters and demi-humans was one the church was also not cool to them. Neither can openly assist Tempest without becoming targets of a possible Crusade. The whole point of the announcement was to make it clear that Falmuth had direct backing from the Church of Luminous and the Holy Empire of Lubelious. This is not to say that they WON'T help Tempest, but it's there to make the narrative of them becoming "Enemies of the Goddess" and if not targets for Crusading, then it puts them in terrible political and economic positions if things go south.

Part of the issue again is that Luminism is the main major religion of the setting and for good reason since they're the defenders of humanity and protect people from monsters(think stuff like the Orc Lord, Charybdis, the Sky Dragon, Demon Lords, etc.). Having their backing to Crusade against some strange monster country that sprang up in the forest where the evil Storm Dragon used to live gives Falmuth more legitimacy instead of it being the kings naked greed.

Oh my god, this demon guy is fuckin great. I love him. Kinda reminds me of that pink haired guy from Iruma-kun. I forget that dude's name...

Anyways, good season. 8/10, same rating as the last season but I don't think it's quite as good as that one.

Great season, i like where the developments are going. Probably a lot of epic fights incoming in part 2.
Also that ending song was a BANGER, never skipped it :)
PS: offtopic, but damn Rascal, whenever you are the latest post, it takes me double the time to write my stuff. That sekiro gif is so awesome yet so distracting :)

Back