That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

I mean so far this season has been consistent with the tone of the previous season
You kidding, right?

S1 and S2 could not possibly be more different. S1 which was consistent with itself. S2 fails to maintain the spirit and the letter of the season 1. It tries to copy, yes, but so bluntly and soullessly that it turns out fake and outright lame every time.

So if you're being serious, then perhaps you're really one of the very few who are not noticing that.

You kidding, right?

S1 and S2 could not possibly be more different. S1 which was consistent with itself. S2 fails to maintain the spirit and the letter of the season 1. It tries to copy, yes, but so bluntly and soullessly that it turns out fake and outright lame every time.

So if you're being serious, then perhaps you're really one of the very few who are not noticing that.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but seasons 1 and 2 are both adapted from the same manga, with nothing so much as a week's difference between the last chapter season 1 was adapted from, and the first one season 2 was adapted from. So if it's inconsistency you're noticing, it's self-fulfilled. If both parts had been labled as the same show as would be in long-running shounen like one piece or naruto, flowing seamlessly into one another, the show would have continued directly from where it left off and you wouldn't be able to even make such a comparison.

If I am being serious, then maybe I'm just not integrated into the same groupthink as the rest of the people on this thread, who didn't notice that from season to season, the events followed a reasonable flow of tone and structure, just as they would have in a manga or light novel, unbroken by seasons.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but seasons 1 and 2 are both adapted from the same manga, with nothing so much as a week's difference between the last chapter season 1 was adapted from, and the first one season 2 was adapted from. So if it's inconsistency you're noticing, it's self-fulfilled.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but season 2 is directed by a completely different person than season 1 and OVAs.

I did not know it either, but after I realized that something is totally amiss, I went and looked up. I was not making any conclusions at that point, but now, at the end of the season, I can with all certainty say that it pretty much explains why the show is just going downhill so badly despite being based on the same material.

If both parts had been labled as the same show as would be in long-running shounen like one piece or naruto, flowing seamlessly into one another, the show would have continued directly from where it left off and you wouldn't be able to even make such a comparison.
Funnily, I've watched slime for the first time only last September, and watched it again just days before the new season started.
So for me it was supposed to "flow seamlessly", it's what I wanted and hoped for, but it never happened, instead it felt wrong from the very first episode.

Surprisingly (?), this never happens with other multi-season shows which keep their key staff. Those shows may vary slightly in pace, action and general entertainment, but they do have that seamless flow and same feeling from season to season - to name a couple, Overlord or Konosuba.

If I am being serious, then maybe I'm just not integrated into the same groupthink as the rest of the people on this thread who didn't notice that from season to season, the events followed a reasonable flow of tone and structure
So yeah most likely it's not the "groupthink", rather just you not noticing subtle changes that others do see.

For me in all my arrogance and vanity that may be, those changes separate art from craft.

But well.. if you still can enjoy and love the show, then.. good for you, I suppose. No disappointment and regrets, just fun.

Peace.

So yeah most likely it's not the "groupthink", rather just you not noticing subtle changes that others do see.

For me in all my arrogance and vanity that may be, those changes separate art from craft.

But well.. if you still can enjoy and love the show, then.. good for you, I suppose. No disappointment and regrets, just fun.

Peace.
gaasl7yjfwc51.jpg

When I said it was consistant, I meant the tone of the plot. You know, the part that matters? Don't pretend to lord some kind of larger understanding of art over me by making this about some subtle directorial changes that I "didn't notice". Of course I noticed that, when there's a different director things will feel different. Some of my favorite shows have a different director episode-by-episode and it makes things feel fresh. But that's not what this is about.

When I said it was consistant, I meant the tone of the plot. You know, the part that matters? Don't pretend to lord some kind of larger understanding of art over me by making this about some subtle directorial changes that I "didn't notice". Of course I noticed that, when there's a different director things will feel different. Some of my favorite shows have a different director episode-by-episode and it makes things feel fresh. But that's not what this is about.
Haha, you say plot, but I've hardly seen any in almost 10 episodes. It simply goes nowhere, relying on unending recaps, fillers, and tons of "oh you're so great, Great Rimuru-sama" talks, way over the reasonable amount we've seen before.
Well, no wonder - as I've noted before in this thread, it's transformed into pure shounen. And you bet they'd want to stretch it over several hundred of episodes like Naruto or One Piece, lmao.

You like this kind of things and used to it, it's your personal taste np. But it's also exactly the same reason why many others actually dislike this season.

Okay. Wait.
First: is this a faithful adaptation of the manga? I mean, is the anime portraying exactly the manga sequence of events? I haven't read the manga, so I don't know.
I ask this because I thought season 2 was basically filler material.

Second:
Even if this is an exact adaptation, it is a different media. So what works in printed form might not work in audio-visual work, and vice versa. For instance, you could have just one frame of the manga showing 10 dialogues of everyone saying how great Rimuru is. The reader will just glance at it in 2-3 seconds. But in video, that's 40 seconds of boring repetition.

Now, it's true that the premise of the story is still the same: guy reincarnates as an overpowered slime and becomes ruler of monsters. But the development is not. Keep in mind that I'm not particularly bright --in fact, I'm hanging far in the wrong end of the IQ spectrum-- so I might be wrong, but I don't think season 2 is consistent with what we saw in season 1.
Season 1 had many story arcs: the wolves vs orcs; the oni people; the dwarf city; the hungry pigs; that flying sushi. They were fast and simple. Season 2 is just dragging up. Only on episode 6 or 7 the war arc kicked in. Then they spend an entire episode sitting at a table saying nothing we don't already know. It's not just bad directing; that's bad writing!

And quick disclaimer: I'm not judging anyone enjoying the show. It's okay to like it. If you feel like I'm pooping in your parade, just remember: one of my favorite shows is The Irregular at Magic High School. It's fetid garbage. I'm in no position to judge anyone.

Last edited:
And quick disclaimer: I'm not judging anyone enjoying the show. It's okay to like it. If you feel like I'm pooping in your parade, just remember: one of my favorite shows is The Irregular at Magic School. It's fetid garbage. I'm in no position to judge anyone.
Yeah, well, for me personally, if this anime were like it is now from the very beginning, there wouldn't be any room for disappointment.

Unfortunately, the first season was really good, I liked it a lot, and did not expect the show to change this much... and I don't think manga could've been the reason. You are getting the point precisely - the audiovisual product is very different from manga, and here so much is dependent on the anime studio staff and their decisions, their talents and preferences. The result can be notably different with the same source material but different people in charge of adaptation (I could go into FMA vs FMA: Brotherhood here to prove the point, but should resist the temptation XD).

I've said it before: I don't quite know why season 1 was so entertaining for me. Maybe it was the short story arcs that provided a quick relief. Maybe it was the fact that it didn't seem to take itself too seriously. Maybe because the slime surprised everyone with it's intelligence and strength.
I didn't have high expectations for season 2, but I thought we would at least get more of that. Like you said, @Dankvart , it was disappointing because season 1 was good.

But, objectively speaking, season 1 was bad too. I mean, considering the basics of story structure and character progression. It was a weak story. So maybe, they were already too close to the line that divided entertaining from boring. Season 2 crossed it.

You've mentioned how the adaptation depends on the staff. We tend to blame the director, but the production managers have way more influence in the final product. And writers can break the structure in which the entire product will be built. I believe that's the case with season 2: bad script writing, wrong production decisions, bad directing execution. In other words: they all f***ed up.

Edit: corrected my bad english.

Last edited:
I've said it before: I don't quite know why season 1 was so entertaining for me. Maybe it was the short story arcs that provided a quick relief. Maybe it was the fact that it didn't seem to take it too seriously. Maybe because the slime surprised everyone with it's intelligence and strength.
I didn't have high expectations for season 2, but I thought we would at least get more of that. Like you said, @Dankvart , it was disappointing because season 1 was good.

In addition to what you already pointed out, I also enjoyed the novelty of monsters coming together and building a cohesive society. While Overlord is similar in the protagonist and his team being monsters they already had an established castle. They may have been building political relations as well, but in Overlord we're given a full guild of characters with established relationships from the outset, while in Slime Show we only had the single slime who had to build new relationships with EVERYONE he met. And then, on top of that, he brings monsters who were previously enemies together.

But, objectively speaking, season 1 was bad too. I mean, considering the basics of story structure and character progression. It was a weak story. So maybe, they were already too close to the line that divided entertaining from boring. Season 2 crossed it.

I still love S1 but sadly this rings true to me. Still, it was a novel idea, cute, the arcs as you said kept things fresh, so I can't hate it.

I still love S1 but sadly this rings true to me. Still, it was a novel idea, cute, the arcs as you said kept things fresh, so I can't hate it.

Oh! Season 2 hasn't changed how I feel about season1!
I watched it twice and gave it a 5 stars. My rating is based on how much I like the show, not how good it actually is. And it still stands. I'll probably watch it again in the future.

bruh since this is a pretty happy show, (kind of), isn't Shion gonna be okay?
Wasn't the show screaming in your face "YO WE CAN RESURRECT PEOPLE THOUGHHH" enough of reassurance? lol
I haven't read the manga nor the LN that far but I would legit bet all my possessions that she's gonna be back, oh and definitely gonna get a bullshit power-up from the resurrection too.

Oh! Season 2 hasn't changed how I feel about season1!
I watched it twice and gave it a 5 stars. My rating is based on how much I like the show, not how good it actually is. And it still stands. I'll probably watch it again in the future.
Same with me. All the crappiness of s2 can't stop me liking s1.

Well, That was an alright episode. I feel like they still ended up stretching the fighting to postpone the big thing yet another episode.
Definitely the most enjoyable episode from season 2 to date tho.

I love hakurou. Puttin smug motherfuckers on their ass from year ???-present.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse character than berserker-kun.

Last edited:
EP: 10

The Orc Lord vs berserker-kun fight was a bit shorter than in the manga, but It's not a big deal. Probably similar for the other otherworlder. It's interesting how they censored berserker-kun a bit as well. In the manga his hands and feet lose skin instead of looking undead. I kind of wish they made the episode longer or cut out the part about Rimuru one shotting the soldiers. The pacing feels rushed.

Finally a decent episode (ep. 10), the only downside is that it felt somewhat rushed, especially compared to the abysmally slow pace of the previous 9 episodes. Looking forward to the next episode.

The spell Rimuru used to kill the army was so anticlimactic, I was expecting something more "explosive". But at least he said "I will not let anyone escape." and this is great.
Also, I really liked how the others obliterated the 4 human camps.

I hope it will get more serious/dark from here on. When you start introducing wars and death in the story, the happy-go-lucky style doesn't cut it anymore.

Finally a decent episode (ep. 10), the only downside is that it felt somewhat rushed, especially compared to the abysmally slow pace of the previous 9 episodes. Looking forward to the next episode.

The spell Rimuru used to kill the army was so anticlimactic, I was expecting something more "explosive". But at least he said "I will not let anyone escape." and this is great.
Also, I really liked how the others obliterated the 4 human camps.

I hope it will get more serious/dark from here on. When you start introducing wars and death in the story, the happy-go-lucky style doesn't cut it anymore.

This!

Couldn't agree more.
I believe this episode was rushed because they dragged too much the previous ones. Now that the story is finally progressing, we're approaching the end of this season. Does anyone know if it will be 12 episodes? That's going to be a tight schedule...

And, yeah. If there's war and death and all, I hope they get a bit more serious. I was pleased to see
that heads are rolling. Literally. It was the appropriate conclusion to the conflict with those asses.

Back