Television Discussion

Finally it's over. And it's over 1 o'clock. I can't believe I stayed up for this. This year was especially mediocre.

And the interval show was no better. I actually fell asleep during “Like a prayer”... Italy came second :( but I did like the Dutch song too.

Kudos to Iceland for holding up the Palestinian flag during voting. I also watched an interview where they expressed their concerns about performing at an event which is all about unity and peace in a place where there is conflict and division.

And the interval show was no better. I actually fell asleep during “Like a prayer”... Italy came second :( but I did like the Dutch song too.

Kudos to Iceland for holding up the Palestinian flag during voting. I also watched an interview where they expressed their concerns about performing at an event which is all about unity and peace in a place where there is conflict and division.
At least we have the memes
tumblr_prq4b9ZTKS1sng9ya_500.png

tumblr_prq14pMueU1qlf22a_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_prpxv2IYnH1udfoam_540.png

tumblr_prprqc6Vij1s2bv8po1_1280.jpg

tumblr_prprqc6Vij1s2bv8po2_640.jpg

Reactions: Vuh
Norway got robbed of their victory, just like Russia 2016. A jury of five (from each country) shouldn't have the same power as the people.
Still, Netherlands was at least better than Macedonia. Were the jury members bribed or something?
And I see that it was yet another year that the Europeans (and Australians) diss "the black sheep of Europe". I'm not the slightest surprised. What I am suprised about, however, is that the people 'zeroed' Germany yet Slovenia somehow got points??
But I'm glad that both Switzerland and Iceland ended up on top 10. Well deserved.
Can't wait to see the entries of Eurovision Asia later this year lol.

I'd rather stab my eyes and ears with rusty nails than watch this EuroVision bullshit. It's huge in Germany too and basically a bunch of plastic people and plastic music fucking each other over while wasting a shitload of money. Countries vote against or give their votes to random countries just to spite other countries and whatnot, the quality of the songs being secondary here (and they're all mostly shit with their zombie clap quality).

Always hated it and the only ray of light was Knorkator, a German comedy metal band, performing there in 2000 because they just took a piss on everybody.

I saw this preview come up in my recommended videos.
Kept thinking "Reminds me of that Golden Compass movie"...turns out cause it's based on the books that movie was based on...I feel dumb.

Still watching The Sopranos, Season 5 Ep 7 or so. It's still okay, but I've been kind of ready for it to wrap up for a while now. Many characters have definitely overstayed their welcome (some were never even welcome, personally) and the more interesting ones and their stories don't really get enough attention.

Paulie is absolutely hilarious but doesn't get nearly enough attention to my liking, and Silvio is a criminally underused sidekick character. Johnny Sack and the rest of the New York mob could be fun, but their involvement in the show is often tangential. The series seems to be more interested in Carmela having an affair, AJ being an asshat teenager, Tony getting to know his father's mistress, Junior skipping his house arrest to have food at funerals, Christopher dealing with rehab or Adriana's totally stale status as an FBI informant. I'm just glad fucking Janice is getting less and less screentime and here's hoping I didn't just jinx it.

Steve Buscemi joining the cast was a ray of goddamn sunlight, though.

Still watching The Sopranos, Season 5 Ep 7 or so. It's still okay, but I've been kind of ready for it to wrap up for a while now. Many characters have definitely overstayed their welcome (some were never even welcome, personally) and the more interesting ones and their stories don't really get enough attention.

Paulie is absolutely hilarious but doesn't get nearly enough attention to my liking, and Silvio is a criminally underused sidekick character. Johnny Sack and the rest of the New York mob could be fun, but their involvement in the show is often tangential. The series seems to be more interested in Carmela having an affair, AJ being an asshat teenager, Tony getting to know his father's mistress, Junior skipping his house arrest to have food at funerals, Christopher dealing with rehab or Adriana's totally stale status as an FBI informant. I'm just glad fucking Janice is getting less and less screentime and here's hoping I didn't just jinx it.

Steve Buscemi joining the cast was a ray of goddamn sunlight, though.

Yeah, the second half of the series had a lot of people going "wtf" as slice of life isn't that popular especially when those characters are off doing gangster shit and we're watching their families. The show has some really weird episodes too, but those are usually the best. I don't remember which season it happens in, but Christopher and Paulie
chasing a wounded Russian man around the forest was a hoot. Even better because they never found him.

I could say more about some of the other characters you like, but spoilers.

Right! That episode was super entertaining. Towards the end of Season 3, I think. Generally everything Paulie's involved with turns out sidesplitting - I still chuckle when I remember him going to a psychic medium because he became paranoid about the folks he killed haunting his ass. Or when he took Tony's portrait with the horse but had his face modified several times. Best character by a mile.

So yeah, it's sad this isn't the kind of content the show seems to be interested in at the moment. There's only so many "AJ won't do his homework" scenes you can feed me before I've had my fill and then some. To top it off, I've heard the ending is divisive... Imagine taking your sweet time to this extent with your characters and then botch the conclusion, that's gonna be silly if it really is lacking.

Right! That episode was super entertaining. Towards the end of Season 3, I think. Generally everything Paulie's involved with turns out sidesplitting - I still chuckle when I remember him going to a psychic medium because he became paranoid about the folks he killed haunting his ass. Or when he took Tony's portrait with the horse but had his face modified several times. Best character by a mile.

So yeah, it's sad this isn't the kind of content the show seems to be interested in at the moment. There's only so many "AJ won't do his homework" scenes you can feed me before I've had my fill and then some. To top it off, I've heard the ending is divisive... Imagine taking your sweet time to this extent with your characters and then botch the conclusion, that's gonna be silly if it really is lacking.

Well, Silvio does get some more screen time the last couple of season. I'll be interested to see your thoughts on that.

The ending does blow, though. It's not mysterious or interesting, it's just a slap in the face.

So long as Sopranos is the topic, I remember this clip popping up in my recommended. An interview from 89 with the guy who played Paulie. He was a real gangster.

Yeah, a lot of guys well known for doing mob movies and roles have or had connections to real organized crime. I guess at least it's authentic.

The Sopranos S6E1

I liked what they did with this Raymond guy, one of the long-known rats by the viewers. He just showed up now and then doing ratty stuff, making you wonder when the show's finally gonna feel like triggering that one mini-chain of events that leads to a bullet in his skull. Turns out while "informing" he randomly dies of a stroke or something, before any of that happens, his rep intact.
What a player. :laugh:

@Gens @Schizm @Taek @SMores

@randomredneck was thinking we could watch some Tales from the Crypt next. His idea was instead of watching the whole long series we could just pick out a few of our favorite episodes and just watch some of the best ones. I was thinking of looking around for a list of the best episodes and using as that as a base then we could supplement with our own suggestions.
I am 100% down with this if I can ever get my interwebs fixed.

The ending does blow, though. It's not mysterious or interesting, it's just a slap in the face.

I think the ending is pretty great actually
Tony being killed off is really the only thing that made sense to me because he was just such a monster and the way they set it up in that diner was pretty cool with Tony always looking up at the door when somone enters, the "Members only" guy coming in, passing Tony and going to the bathroom, then Tony looking up for one more time at the door and the shot fades to black indicating that he just got whacked by the guy coming back from the toilet, as unspectacular and sudden as some of the other people on the show. Never even saw it coming.

Last edited:
Back