Television Discussion

The Leftovers episode 3:

God: Matt, I am sending you signs about my will.
The signs:
oAvI7KU.jpg

Matt is a righteous asshole through the episode. He still has some humanity left, though. Even as he is rushing to the bank with a blood stained envelop of cash, he stops to be a good Samaritan to a member of the same group that was buying his Church out from under him. He ends up losing everything because he can't just be the cold hearted dick that his belief in god's will is pushing him towards.

The tenderness when he is taking care of his wife breaks my heart every time.

Some Discord people talked me into watching Wednesday with them. Episode 1, anyway.

This is awful. It's like discount CW. The line about "Real life Instagram filter", the tacked on psychic visions, the basic white boy love interests...I must see more.
Having watched the first episode last night, I like the aesthetics and the actors (although having 99% of the cast be white with one single black character is honestly kinda weird in the year of our lord 2022 - for a setting in a modern day US, that is). The story is gonna be a weird one. Can't say I'm jazzed about Wednesday hating her parents and having superpowers, not to mention she's a little too perfect, excelling at literally anything she does. Plus the whole two love interests that are pretty much exactly the same person ... Eh, meh. It's fine. Maybe it'll grow on me.
For me, I’m a decent bit into Wednesday right now and I can’t stop watching it. It’s not perfect and by regular standards it sucks…buts it’s really starting to grow on me in a “I’m embracing the cringe please kill me now but I like this” sort of way. If you catch my drift. I kind of enjoy how stupid it is and it has a nice aesthetic.

Last edited:
I'm still putting off Wednesday. Work has been putting me in a foul mood and I want to go into it without any negative emotions. I want to give it a fair shot, even if I'm already 99% sure I'll not like it. I'm trying my best.

Sooo instead we started 1899.
We've got two episodes left and I still have no idea what the fuck is happening. It's entertaining but it could have been wrapped up by now. Definitely didn't need to have hour long episodes and I'm kind of over it at this point.

The pigeons are two fold. First pigeons are used to carry messages. Matt want to spread his message to the world. Second, Pigeons are seen as pests and vermin. Matt is persecuted and considered a nuisance due to his beliefs.
see, I felt it was something simple I was just missing out on. that's a great explanation, makes total sense.

The Young Pope - ep 2
new characters! also damn there's so much smoking in this show.

"This place smells incense and death. I prefer the smell of shit and life."
the role of Andrew is an interesting one, even if shown only briefly here - someone bitter, who has a bit of regret over his choices. someone who both knew lenny as a child and has a relationship with sister mary.

Lenny is such a strange and bizarre character that he's fascinating every time he's onscreen. There's so many cogs of different characters firing off at one another, and relationships developing around Lenny and how to deal with Lenny as well.

Lenny questioning people about being homosexuals and getting sincere answers. What he plans to do with that... is a good question. Seeing Lenny put in different dynamics here is interesting - combative and cold to most, differential to his mentor, Michael, quiet and thoughtful with Gutierrez.

The kangaroo is an interesting piece - sister mary seems about to suggest it's related to something else or has some significance but we never really find out what that is.

'a city state of lost souls who've never really lived' is a good line

Lenny's speech at the end is an interesting choice. Cast in shadows, serving as a judgemental shadow on God's behalf. Rejecting any other speeches, rejecting anything beautiful, he instead delivers a venom-laced speech to the audience in the final moments of the episode.

HOLY SHIT GUYS

It's based on some horror manga yalls never read but holy shit this shit is getting an adaptation on like Disney+? But Japan? Shit, Disney Japan is fucking hardcore man, not like this bitch tits shit in America, all offense. Holy shit man, it features like, all that good shit, like... that good shit knawimsayin? And like, stuff and shit.
i'm reading gannibal, it's pretty good. but given that gannibal is slowly being translated, this'll probably cover uh... way more of the story than is currently covered.

for people who are afraid of small towns and enjoy plots about cannibalism. surprised how real to the manga they made the old old man

i'm reading gannibal, it's pretty good. but given that gannibal is slowly being translated, this'll probably cover uh... way more of the story than is currently covered.

for people who are afraid of small towns and enjoy plots about cannibalism. surprised how real to the manga they made the old old man

I always knew y0ou were smart, and that reminds me, I need to catch up to the 5 chapters that i need to catch up on since i read it like half a year ago.

So much more that us cultured g0ons that actually read it would be all "Oh shit, this shit happens in the manga?"

But true say on that finalo point, that's a whole nother level of manga faithfulness.

I was living under a rock again because Netflix actually revived this relic for a 90s sequel.

Man, 70s was TERRIBLE in hindsight and aged like milk so I guess it's a good thing they're only bringing back Kitty and Red for this. Looks like the comedy didn't progress at all either lol aside from a more diverse cast of youngsters (remember Fez? Yikes!).

Not gonna watch it, was just taken aback a little and felt the need to share. Can I also quickly mention how Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp haven't really aged? Because they haven't.

Now waiting for the 00s sequel announcement to That 80s Show with Glenn Howerton.

I was living under a rock again because Netflix actually revived this relic for a 90s sequel.

Man, 70s was TERRIBLE in hindsight and aged like milk so I guess it's a good thing they're only bringing back Kitty and Red for this. Looks like the comedy didn't progress at all either lol aside from a more diverse cast of youngsters (remember Fez? Yikes!).

Not gonna watch it, was just taken aback a little and felt the need to share. Can I also quickly mention how Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp haven't really aged? Because they haven't.

Now waiting for the 00s sequel announcement to That 80s Show with Glenn Howerton.
God, have they run out of decent sitcoms to reboot? We're really scraping the barrel and doing That 70's Show?

Can't see Kurtwood Smith without hearing him ask Bobby if he can fly.

enjoy plots about cannibalism.

MYrh9mG.gif

see, I felt it was something simple I was just missing out on. that's a great explanation, makes total sense.

Then as I was watching the episode,
I was think the pigeons could actually mean nothing. Matt was using them as signs and we see how that turned out. As you pointed out with Matt judging people based on his own morals. He's always looking for signs and making them fit. Driving past a couple of birds on a red light makes him think god wants him to go gamble on red. If it were me and I were looking for signs, then I saw two pigeons on a stop light would have been interpreted differently.

There will be more birds later, though, but we can discuss that when we get there.

The Young Pope - ep 2
Lenny's speech at the end is an interesting choice. Cast in shadows, serving as a judgemental shadow on God's behalf. Rejecting any other speeches, rejecting anything beautiful, he instead delivers a venom-laced speech to the audience in the final moments of the episode.

The dream speech at the start of the first episode and then this very different speech at the end of the second do make interesting bookends. Makes you think Lenny is more than a little conflicted.

Then as I was watching the episode,
I was think the pigeons could actually mean nothing. Matt was using them as signs and we see how that turned out. As you pointed out with Matt judging people based on his own morals. He's always looking for signs and making them fit. Driving past a couple of birds on a red light makes him think god wants him to go gamble on red. If it were me and I were looking for signs, then I saw two pigeons on a stop light would have been interpreted differently.

There will be more birds later, though, but we can discuss that when we get there.
I think both are true in a sense. I think you're right that like, narratively it makes sense for
the birds to represent Matt as a character and as a choice by the writers it makes sense as symbolism of Matt's whole deal. But as for what they actually MEAN within the actual universe of the show? Could very well be nothing. It is up to that subjective interp of the character

The episode title was interesting. Matt also just has a lot of Job stuff going on as a character, and characters with Job symbolism always are interesting.

The dream speech at the start of the first episode and then this very different speech at the end of the second do make interesting bookends. Makes you think Lenny is more than a little conflicted.
Yeah, the first speech did make me wonder if Lenny had any sort of ... doubts or thoughts contrary to the spiel he performs. I am curious what Lenny truly believes.

The episode title was interesting. Matt also just has a lot of Job stuff going on as a character, and characters with Job symbolism always are interesting.

A light spoiler you already see coming.
You ain't seen nothing yet. I wanted to bring up Job before, but his arc in season 2 is where that parallel really comes to light.

Yeah, the first speech did make me wonder if Lenny had any sort of ... doubts or thoughts contrary to the spiel he performs. I am curious what Lenny truly believes.

Some light first season spoilers you can save for later.
Or is he acting out for attention because he's still an insecure orphan abandoned by his parents? This will inform a lot of Lenny's arc in the first season. A lot of the first season is people wondering if Lenny is a messiah or an anti-Christ. Only Mary realizes in some way he's the same little boy she helped to raise. Whether Lenny is a saint or a sinner will probably be a recurring question through the first season. The question kinda gets answered in the second season.

A light spoiler you already see coming.
You ain't seen nothing yet. I wanted to bring up Job before, but his arc in season 2 is where that parallel really comes to light.

Some light first season spoilers you can save for later.
Or is he acting out for attention because he's still an insecure orphan abandoned by his parents? This will inform a lot of Lenny's arc in the first season. A lot of the first season is people wondering if Lenny is a messiah or an anti-Christ. Only Mary realizes in some way he's the same little boy she helped to raise. Whether Lenny is a saint or a sinner will probably be a recurring question through the first season. The question kinda gets answered in the second season.

Leftovers
Oh, see I'm very interested in that! There's already quite a bit of Job parallelism with him, so that's interesting.

New Pope
Yeah, I figure it has to be at least partially both. Mary makes a lot of sense as this character/figure to connect Lenny's past to the present, so it makes sense she helps fulfil that role. I always feel like past tends to the inform the present on people and characters, even if it doesn't DEFINE the present so Mary's role is one that has been intriguing since she was introduced...

And hmmm... tantalizing piece of information!

Just a couple of minutes into episode 4 of The Leftovers. I just had to stop to say how great Ann Dowd was in that opening scene. She's such a great actress and has played some great characters on TV. My favorite bit was the chuckle she can't quite repress when Kevin offers her Draino.

Last edited:
Netflix sucks ass. Canceling Midnight Club and then losing Mike Flanagan to Amazon. That's going to hurt.

Midnight Club is probably my least favorite from Flanagan so far, but it definitely didn't deserve to be axed, and so quickly too. It's only been two months.

Back