Television Discussion

So for the longest time I thought the Zorro show I watched on TV as a kid was the early 90s one. Stumbled upon the theme song for the 50s Disney version today and turns out it was actually that show.

Damn, now I want it on Disney+.

Okay, but how many people did he maim before he mastered cutting a Z into someone's clothes without hurting them?

I'm watching Dahmer on netflix, because a friend told me about it. Same friend who told me about the John Wayne Gacy tapes documentary, which I also liked. I still would have preferred a crossover to a new Jeffrey Dahmer remake. I mean they got it right in 2011.

Haven't seen the movie, but the director has possibly the greatest IMDB profile picture. He also plays Dahmer. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1284939/?ref_=tt_cl_i_1

t7IvBN8.jpg

I think it is time that someone finally talked about this...
The ending of Steven Universe did not work.

I understand that the Diamonds are Steven's family and Steven tries to make everyone a better person according to his views,
but having the Diamonds switch from ultimate evil to giving up their power and trying to atone for their past abuses enthusiastically did not work for me at all.
These are beings so selfish that they created the ultimate class society, exterminated any resistance, and destroyed entire planets to create an empire.
People this psychopathic do not change easily. Writing this kind of ending diminishes the impact of the character's struggle and victory.

I think the TV movie is bad, but liked the songs and Spinel's backstory, just cruel enough to be in Pink Diamond's character.
Future is a mixed bag. I enjoyed parts of it, but the ending makes everything awkward.

Endings matter because they determine the future of the story. I think it is fine for Steven Universe to end here. We have seen his story and growth, there is no more left to go.
Even with this ending, I will always remember Steven Universe and the help it gave me during a rough time in my life.
#CrystalGemsForTheWin!

After watching five episodes of rings of power here are some thoughts:

The power of budget, makes lot of beautiful sceneries, but...
The story is lackluster. It's like watching endless build up.
I hate character of "Galadriel" every second she is on screen. She is so unlikable character.

Better call saul s6 ep8

Man, Howard is like, legit one of the few characters in the show that didn't deserve any of the bad things that happened to him, and on top of having his reputation ruined by jimmy, ending up with a 2 inch sized whole in his cranium because he decided to visit Jimmy at the wrong time was just too unfortunate.

On that note I was also sad to see Lalo go, guy was like the most charming person in the series, he rocks that mustache like no other, and he really radiates with that smile of his. Him dying because he underestimated Fring and let his guard down after he thought he already won was fitting though, my favorite villain from this series being killed by my other favorite villain from the sequel series is quite appropriate though.

Watching The Queen's Gambit reminds me of how quitting chess classes and tournaments was one of my worst mistakes as a teenager.

Obviously I wasn't even a fraction as good as this Harmon character, but it brings back the best parts of the experience nonetheless - kind of like when I was watching Hikaru no Go, but more directly. The competitiveness, the thoughtful quietness, the upsets. Hard to beat that feeling when you're some brat who just won a league match and the 40-year-old veteran in front of you is babbling excuses about his loss.

I think it is time that someone finally talked about this...
The ending of Steven Universe did not work.

I understand that the Diamonds are Steven's family and Steven tries to make everyone a better person according to his views,
but having the Diamonds switch from ultimate evil to giving up their power and trying to atone for their past abuses enthusiastically did not work for me at all.
These are beings so selfish that they created the ultimate class society, exterminated any resistance, and destroyed entire planets to create an empire.
People this psychopathic do not change easily. Writing this kind of ending diminishes the impact of the character's struggle and victory.

I think the TV movie is bad, but liked the songs and Spinel's backstory, just cruel enough to be in Pink Diamond's character.
Future is a mixed bag. I enjoyed parts of it, but the ending makes everything awkward.

Endings matter because they determine the future of the story. I think it is fine for Steven Universe to end here. We have seen his story and growth, there is no more left to go.
Even with this ending, I will always remember Steven Universe and the help it gave me during a rough time in my life.
#CrystalGemsForTheWin!

I agree 100%. I could see Blue turning easily enough, then she convinces Yellow (but Blue was the only one who could do that as Yellow's equal), but I think White needed to be unchangeable. She's the ultimate authority with no one to call her peer (since Yellow and Blue are her subordinates) so her changing her mind at all made no sense.

Watching The Queen's Gambit reminds me of how quitting chess classes and tournaments was one of my worst mistakes as a teenager.

Obviously I wasn't even a fraction as good as this Harmon character, but it brings back the best parts of the experience nonetheless - kind of like when I was watching Hikaru no Go, but more directly. The competitiveness, the thoughtful quietness, the upsets. Hard to beat that feeling when you're some brat who just won a league match and the 40-year-old veteran in front of you is babbling excuses about his loss.
I'm also watching that. Watching it reminds me more of how shitty most TV is. I mean... this show has directing. Same level as breaking bad for me. It really sucks you in.

I agree 100%. I could see Blue turning easily enough, then she convinces Yellow (but Blue was the only one who could do that as Yellow's equal), but I think White needed to be unchangeable. She's the ultimate authority with no one to call her peer (since Yellow and Blue are her subordinates) so her changing her mind at all made no sense.

I think there was one choice for Steven to have this ending work: defeat White and strip her of power, but only barely avoid shattering White. It would have been genuinely traumatic for Steven to make the choice to shatter White. He could have defeated White, almost shattering her, and then pulled back and let her have mercy.
Now that ending would have taken guts!
Unfortunately, I do not think the writers nor the producers had the will to follow through on the threat of the Diamonds. It is so sad because this could have been the epic ending that this story deserved instead of ending on an awkward note that sours the rest of the series.
It is odd that the ending was so soft because the TV movie and Future focus on Steven's trauma. Why not reinforce that by having Steven almost destroy his family to save the universe?

Even with this complaint, I really like Steven Universe. I enjoyed the cast (Greg may be my favorite character), the designs were colorful, the music was silly and sometimes serious, and learning about the gem society was interesting.
TL;DR Enjoyable despite some poor choices with the ending and the sequels. Go Steven!

Tumblr is losing its shit over some sort of Interview with a Vampire remake, so that can only mean one thing.

1b99b6acc751b48dafbb48aa12868f925d6acb6f.jpg

8b0c15ea5c784ec32319632859e95d7f6f690395.jpg

We broke it. The vicious cycle of queerbaiting is over. Full on gay now. And I am so fucking here for it.
"Hey, you remember how gay the Interview With A Vampire movie was?"
"Yeah?"
"Well, you ain't seen nothing yet."

Not watching the Dahmer show but had a good laugh this morning when I read that Netflix had to remove the LGBTQ tag for it due to outrage. Jfc, what were they thinking? XD

Derry Girls S3 is finally out soon and all I can think about is Uncle Colm.

And Sister Michael. And Aunt Sarah. And everyone. Man, it's gonna be great.
Frigging love Uncle Colm.

Queer for Fear episode 1:

That letter Bram Stoker wrote to Walt Whitman was the gayest thing in the episode.

This is definitely one for the horror nerds. Sometimes the commentators are stretching with their interpretations, but that's what nerds do overanalyze what they love. There are many great references to all kinds of horror.

Finished watching The Queen's Gambit, enjoyed it quite a lot. Biggest complaint for me would be that with the way the show is shot, actually following the games as they happen feels basically impossible for an average player.

But I guess that's what IM/GM analyses and impressions on YouTube are for, which I watched plenty of and they were worth it. That, and the goofy shit:

In an attempt to excavate memories of my long-dead maternal grandfather, I've taken to watching Frasier, since it was his favourite sitcom. It brings up memories of sitting in their cellar with its wood panels, the dark green couch and black leather sofa and the grandfather's clock on the wall that never worked. It's been fun so far, and the show is easily binged, but I think I'm done with the trip down memory lane for now.

I can see why it was his favourite show though: semi-highbrow, more humane than Seinfeld and less busy, plodding and gimmicky than, idk, Friends, Spin City, Home Improvement and whatever else we got imported. Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce have some comedic chops when it comes to body language, and the show has a rather endearing tone throughout. It's just odd to be reminded that it ran until the '00s. I guess they've must've milked the cow well dry by then. One more season than Friends got, even. Fucking bonkers.

Finished watching The Queen's Gambit, enjoyed it quite a lot. Biggest complaint for me would be that with the way the show is shot, actually following the games as they happen feels basically impossible for an average player.

But I guess that's what IM/GM analyses and impressions on YouTube are for, which I watched plenty of and they were worth it. That, and the goofy shit:

Nakamura is such a cuddly fucking teddy bear to me.

Man, those were the days when I was such an enthusiastic nerd I’d actually try to memorize chess openings. These days I’m rusty as fuck though lawl

Back