Television Discussion

Dexter II: The Redemption starts tonight. If only we could go back to those halcyon days of 2006 when we had no idea how thoroughly season 8 was going to drop the ball.

I am gonna miss Unknown Hinson, but them sticking it to him for being racist by recasting Early Cuyler with Tracy Morgan is funny as Hell.

Dang shame this is the last season though. I mean damn, this show has been running since I was 15.

Well, it appears part 1 of this Doctor Who: Flux thing wasn't a fluke. Because part 2 was good as well...I'm getting a little pissed off. Where was this effort from Chibnall before?
I'm also pissed off because I quit on the show 3 seasons ago. Thought it would just stay bad.

I'm also pissed off because I quit on the show 3 seasons ago. Thought it would just stay bad.
Well, it suddenly decided to get good all of a sudden. And that's coming from me, a guy who curses the very name of Chris Chibnall. No political crap, no preaching, no "Humans are the real monsters" bunk. This thing so far has been aliens and excitement.

And it's getting on my nerves he never tried like this before.

I only have 3 episodes left myself, and I'm pretty content with how the season turned out
Yeeeeeeeeeeh ... I'ma ... I'm going to just go ahead and forget that Christmas episode ever happened. Otherwise fairly solid season. I especially enjoyed Jessi's storyline that hit very close to home. Except I didn't have Connie to tell me what was going on when I was 15 and had to take 4 whole fucking years of my life to figure it out on my own.

The new season of Dexter is off to rocky start.
It rushes to restore Dexter to the status quo, which is the most boring route they could have taken with this revival. This isn't a reboot or a retcon. It is still carrying all the baggage from the original series. Unfortunately, it seems Dexter didn't learn much from the events that destroyed his life and forced him to flee Florida. Instead, he's been living in stasis for the last few years just waiting for the right excuse to murder again. He's created all the same entanglements that got him in trouble in Florida. If this is the way the show wants to go then I hope it starts to get serious about portraying Dexter as a hopeless addict and the season ends up with him dead or in jail.

To be honest, I think I might have found this a bit more compelling if we did just get an episode or two of SOL style Dexter living his life in a small town while struggling with his urge to kill. I think the show rushed to set Dexter back to zero. The only thing new here is he talks to ghost Deb instead of Ghost Harry.

Also, Dexter and Doakes were "close"? That's news to me. He even gets name dropped in the same breath as Rita and LaGuerta.

All that being said. Some of the dark humor and wit are still there. Michael C. Hall steps right back into Dexter's shoes without missing a beat. The episode is highly predictable,
but Hall kills it in the kill room scene. The way he taunts and mocks the rich entitled douche has just the right amount of schadenfreude. It's also good, because it makes clear Dexter isn't really pissed about the people the rich guy has killed. That's just the excuse, Dexter kills this guy because he took something from Dexter. The deer meant more to Dexter than most human life. The way the guy is begging for his life by apologizing for the boat accident, but Dexter just screams in his face that "you killed my deer" is the moment the victim realized there was no way out of this situation for him.

There's some basic symbolism and metaphor in the episode. It's all fine stuff, but I was annoyed by the shot of the blood on the snow at the end of the episode. It's supposed to symbolize Dexter's connection with blood. He's killing again and he's also reunited with his son so the blood works in two senses. However, for the world of the show it makes Dexter look sloppy. He dragged a corpse around his property and left a ton of evidence.

Hopefully this season does have some new tricks. If not just give me ghost Doakes saying "surprise motherfucker" every time he shows up. That's a meme worth reviving.

Last edited:
Chuck episode 5:

Is it weird to say that Fem-Chucky is kinda hot? It is, especially because the actress is Brad Dourif's real daughter. Hope he wasn't on set for most of this episode.

Chuck episode 5:

Is it weird to say that Fem-Chucky is kinda hot? It is, especially because the actress is Brad Dourif's real daughter. Hope he wasn't on set for most of this episode.
Fiona Dourif looks too much like her dad for me to find her attractive. I mean look up younger Brad Dourif and then look at her. She's basically him as a woman.

Last edited:
Fiona Dourif looks too much like her dad for me to find her attractive. I mean look up younger Brad Dourif and then look at her. She's basically him as a woman.

Which makes it all the weirder watching her make out with Jennifer Tilly.

But yeah, the show uses her resemblance to her father. They throw a little CG on her to play a young Charles Lee Ray.

Arcane out here giving credence to all those years of Caitlyn/Vi shipping.
b12481222816788e9602a87516ade5f96d08bdc0.jpg

d00e6903ec7c9b523c9d00b12b509a00bbe0538a.png

Loving it. Also loving how they use Jinx here. Like don't get me wrong, LoL Jinx is fun. But this Jinx, free of that T rating, is proper scary. It's like she's always one thought away from stabbing everyone in her vicinity. And props to her VA. She is killing it.

The Gloaming was creepier than I expected. Would have been perfect for Halloween.
I really thought it was turning into The Wicker Man there at the end.
Would recommend if you like detective shows mixed with folklore.

Watched the first six episodes of Arcane and now I'm eagerly awaiting the next 3.
Who the hell knew a video game property could be turned into such a good series? The animation is some Into the Spider Verse level stuff! One of the best-looking aninated series I have ever seen, and the story itself is also surprisingly gripping!

Watched the first six episodes of Arcane and now I'm eagerly awaiting the next 3.
Who the hell knew a video game property could be turned into such a good series? The animation is some Into the Spider Verse level stuff! One of the best-looking aninated series I have ever seen, and the story itself is also surprisingly gripping!
Well, the lore team has always been the best part about League Of Legends. I knew one day they'd make a good show out of it.

Back