Television Discussion

I just finished Squid Game and I'm really not impressed by it, we ridiculed the idea of death games anime before but it doesn't mean that they can't be done right, and this one certainly does a few things right, but the bad really stands out for me.

For one the discount imposter guys are too ridiculous and really make it hard to take a death game with these guys seriously, if Gru from Despicable Me was the man behind the game it wouldn't have made the show any less serious, and the stupid music theme they played over them was too much hamfisting and it didn't make them creepier. Secondly, the cop subplot just wasted a ton of time and ended up going nowhere, at least half the show's run was spent following him and the conclusion to it was the guy with the mask from Nostalgia critic's Shyamalan parodies was the cop's brother and a previous participant, which really means nothing to the show or its plot.

A bit of a contention point for me is how uninteresting the games they played also like I understand the theme of games they played as children but it really is unimpressive how most of them can be decided by a random choice you make before the game starts, it's just luck-based or relied on physical prowess and has nothing that could've relied on good judgment or intellect inside the game, especially given half the game had a team prematurely prepare for their games since they had an informant.

Lastly, I legit hate that ending plot twist with the old man being the ring leader, he was my favorite character up to that point, a demented old man who only participated in the game because he already had one foot in the grave and had nothing else left to live for, which translated into weird glee during the games where he put his life on the line was amazing, and I really loved the chemistry between him and the main protagonist. I feel like they really ruined his character (not to mention how many cans of worms they opened with that by previous games and how many times he came close to dying with them, the amount of plot holes is staggering).

The best thing the show does is probably the characters, which I admittedly like most of them, including some of the more cookie-cutter ones, after the old man (at least before the ending twist) Sungwoo is probably the best of them, given how clever he is and how ruthless he was in some situations, the rest of the cast didn't stand out as much but after too many horrible death games with sexually frustrated teens that I've seen in anime, it's not really surprising given the show self-selected them to be as horrible/desperate that even given the option they still chose to go back to the game, the only exception is probably Ali who was too good-natured and gullible which made him probably the most likable character.

Honestly, that ending really left a sour taste in my mouth, and I certainly don't think I care about the show to watch a sequel if they end up releasing one.

A bit of a contention point for me is how uninteresting the games they played also like I understand the theme of games they played as children but it really is unimpressive how most of them can be decided by a random choice you make before the game starts, it's just luck-based or relied on physical prowess and has nothing that could've relied on good judgment or intellect inside the game, especially given half the game had a team prematurely prepare for their games since they had an informant.
Especially since the goal was to compare this game to betting on horse racing, the comparisons really aren't very accurate.

Lastly, I legit hate that ending plot twist with the old man being the ring leader, he was my favorite character up to that point, a demented old man who only participated in the game because he already had one foot in the grave and had nothing else left to live for, which translated into weird glee during the games where he put his life on the line was amazing, and I really loved the chemistry between him and the main protagonist. I feel like they really ruined his character (not to mention how many cans of worms they opened with that by previous games and how many times he came close to dying with them, the amount of plot holes is staggering).
I'm gonna be real with you chief, this is news to me that he was the ringleader, because the second he showed up in the hospital bed near the end is the moment I fully tuned out and started paying attention to other shit.

All I know is after that the main character dyed his hair pink and became the Jason Bourne of cephalopod activities.

I cannot think of a worse plot twist than the old man being alive, let alone the ringleader. Except maybe the ones in Code Geass.

I'm gonna be real with you chief, this is news to me that he was the ringleader, because the second he showed up in the hospital bed near the end is the moment I fully tuned out and started paying attention to other shit.

All I know is after that the main character dyed his hair pink and became the Jason Bourne of cephalopod activities.

I cannot think of a worse plot twist than the old man being alive, let alone the ringleader. Except maybe the ones in Code Geass.
The only reason I kept paying attention that far into the show was I had the player at x2 speed.

Just started up The League of Gentlemen and to be faiiiiiir, it's a local show for local people, nothing for you here.

I just finished Squid Game and I'm really not impressed by it, we ridiculed the idea of death games anime before but it doesn't mean that they can't be done right, and this one certainly does a few things right, but the bad really stands out for me.

For one the discount imposter guys are too ridiculous and really make it hard to take a death game with these guys seriously, if Gru from Despicable Me was the man behind the game it wouldn't have made the show any less serious, and the stupid music theme they played over them was too much hamfisting and it didn't make them creepier. Secondly, the cop subplot just wasted a ton of time and ended up going nowhere, at least half the show's run was spent following him and the conclusion to it was the guy with the mask from Nostalgia critic's Shyamalan parodies was the cop's brother and a previous participant, which really means nothing to the show or its plot.

The best thing the show does is probably the characters, which I admittedly like most of them, including some of the more cookie-cutter ones, after the old man (at least before the ending twist) Sungwoo is probably the best of them, given how clever he is and how ruthless he was in some situations, the rest of the cast didn't stand out as much but after too many horrible death games with sexually frustrated teens that I've seen in anime, it's not really surprising given the show self-selected them to be as horrible/desperate that even given the option they still chose to go back to the game, the only exception is probably Ali who was too good-natured and gullible which made him probably the most likable character.

Honestly, that ending really left a sour taste in my mouth, and I certainly don't think I care about the show to watch a sequel if they end up releasing one.

I needed a reminder on how questionable @Zed's taste is.

Just started up The League of Gentlemen and to be faiiiiiir, it's a local show for local people, nothing for you here.

I needed a reminder on how questionable @Zed's taste is.
My taste has been tweaked and refined for me by the gods themselves

Mistake #1 - applying logic to this show

Mistake #1 - applying logic to this show
I dunno man, having consistent internal logic is one thing, but having the villains dress up like a bunch of imposters from the 2018 hit children's game Among Us (Available now at your local pet grooming store, for just $4.99!) is straight up meme worthy.

Although I think you are right, I should not have experienced with the reason faculties in of my brain fully functional.

S2 of WWDITS was great and overall better than the first which I already liked. Loved the Jackie Daytona episode especially and them adding even more supernatural elements outside of vampires to the show (though the witches episode could have been better).

Now it's time for the waiting game again but I'm pretty sure S3 will land on Disney+ too at some point.

I dunno man, having consistent internal logic is one thing, but having the villains dress up like a bunch of imposters from the 2018 hit children's game Among Us (Available now at your local pet grooming store, for just $4.99!) is straight up meme worthy.
AkXJFZw.jpg

I've been watching Monk. I'm only a little bit into season 1, but it's pretty good so far. Also, that theme song is a real ear worm.

Well, alright. Doctor Who officially has my interest again. That was a hell of an opening for this Flux arc. Wish Chibnall would have tried like this during his other 2 seasons.

Watched the first episode of Octopus Game or whatever it is called. It was okay.
Best part was the slapping game because it showed exactly how desperate these characters are I wanted to slap the piss out of Seong Gi-hun too.

The red light, greenlight game was fine if uninspired. I think the internet turning that giant doll thing into a meme was a mistake. It wasn't even that creepy or memorable.

Old man is GOAT though. Everyone there is so desperate then there is this guy that is just there for some shits and giggles because he has one foot in the grave anyway.

Watched the first episode of Octopus Game or whatever it is called. It was okay.
Best part was the slapping game because it showed exactly how desperate these characters are I wanted to slap the piss out of Seong Gi-hun too.

The red light, greenlight game was fine if uninspired. I think the internet turning that giant doll thing into a meme was a mistake. It wasn't even that creepy or memorable.

Old man is GOAT though. Everyone there is so desperate then there is this guy that is just there for some shits and giggles because he has one foot in the grave anyway.
Some of them are good, though

2f9946878566ec95caea2a6c1be5a822347506cf.jpg

b1d517209f6a967f1da726327771c5f06b97248f.jpg

Just don't take the show too seriously, and you're golden.

Just don't take the show too seriously, and you're golden.

No worries there. The pastel puke aesthetic of the games is enough to let me know nothing is taking place in the real world. I say bring on the dumb old twists. This seems like the type of show that will rely on twists most episodes to keep the audience engaged.

Back