Tekkon Kinkreet

Re: tekkonkinkreet

@cheol: I just noticed, but boy you love double (and triple) posting.

@viva: THANK YOU!! Now if someone can just explain to people that just because something is so convoluted that you can't understand it, it doesn't make it "smart," I'd be happy.

@strawberry: Your bottom line, if everyone followed it, it would make for very boring threads. :p

Well, this show goes in the massive pile of "to watch." ETA: Probably in two years. I'm not kidding. :crying:
you mean double or triple treading?

Re: tekkonkinkreet

There's a common misconception here that needs to be addressed:

Adding symbolism to a bad movie does not magically make that movie good. A movie has to be good on its own terms to be watchable; naming the happy-but-retarded character "White" and the less-retarded-but-ANGRY character "Black" doesn't stop both characters from being retarded.

first of all you stated already in the first place that its a bad movie, on top of that cake you added "by only symbolism to it". its your misconception of not addressing the combination of things that were put throughout into the movie that made it so good. so no arguing there.

symbolism just makes you think, and gives a representation of what they are and what its worth.

Last edited:
Lol. Well, I just finished wathcing it and I really enjoyed it. It put me in mind of Akira a lot of the time because both have that sinister detailed backdrop and are about gangs.

In the end, I agree with Strawberryshortcake that it was great. Not the best movie of all time, and no way would I give it a masterpiece rating (anything above 9), but it's great. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I don't think it's got anything to do with people liking symbolism or not. Bottom line, as sothis said, you either liked it or didn't. Anyway, my review will be of the opposite opinion to sothis/viva.

So Tekkon Kinkreet? loved it, really. Animation was sort of weird but I liked the drawing of their faces and expressions.
The relation between Black and White is utterly magnificent and of complicity..
almost shed a tear when they took White away crying while Black told him "I'll find a stronger partner. Just cool the way White understood that Black was somehow lost saying "I got all the screws for his heart
Good movie with a different story ^^

Possibly the best movie I've seen so far, at least in the same class with Ghibli movies! The ending was awesome and scary too, the "dark side"-part... And the last minutes made me cry, what a surpise :D

I'm deffinetly gonna watch this again. Full 5/5 stars.

Menchi,
didnt you tought that White was going to die? It was so sad watching Black wandering around looking for him, while babbling that he didnt like winter because it made him remember the grasshoper and ant story ;__;

I read the manga based on the movie, and if I didn't know, I probably would have thought that
White's gonna die or was already dead. The whole part where White was drawing the devils and Black carrying that stuffed toy was really scary and sad, I thought that they'd completely lost it...

Yakuza!

Hmmm...

I'm just kinda in the middle with this movie. Visually, I thought the scenery was stunning, though the character design kinda bugged me a bit. The story was just ok, kept me interested for short bursts, but then my attention would wander. Took me awhile to get through. Worth watching, the end got a little wtf for my tastes though.

I say 3/5.

It was over half a year I saw this now. And my memory is really bad about anime's and such. So all I usually remember is my general opinion about it. Like if I hated it or loved it. What I remember from Tekkon Kinkreet is that I for some reason liked the movie, and that I thought the characters were butt ugly. Can't say what though without watching it again. Only draw back for me was the screechy audio quality I had to endure while watching it. I watched it in a theater at an anime convention, and I don't think they knew what they were doing with the speakers, because when White cried it was like someone shoved a knife in my ear.

I was told by a friend that this was his favorite anime and that I should watch it, and so I did. All I really get from this show was the very well done scenery and animation. The main characters annoyed me and I truly only enjoyed the interaction between the old gangster and young gangster.

3/5

The movie itself feels a cross between a Miyaziki movie in art and a Satoshi Kon movie in story. Best of both worlds really. It's a very dark story, with a few larger than life characters. This is all topped off with a strong bond and relationship between the two main characters. Damn near perfect anime movie.

Studio 4C failed hard here. There was no story to speak of and there are a lot of random and unnecessary things happening. Just what were they trying to say here?

The way I see it, Tekkonkinkreet is Inside Out (the Pixar movie) told from a different angle, perhaps with more sophistication and opaqueness:
The surface-level story stands for the inner struggles of a person as he/she grows, gets new variables thrown into his/her life, and gets very conflicted morally, mentally and intellectually, doing some stupid shit, but in the end coming to terms with his/her nature and gaining inner peace and cultivating a better future from a metaphorical seed that was planted earlier in a seemingly naïve fashion, forgotten in impatience.

I enjoyed this movie a lot. It's visually stimulating, and the flow of the story is really good and the characters make sense once you realize the façade of the superficial story about an actual city with actual gangsters and cops and construction plans along with actual kids who can actually jump to kingdom come. Like come on, it's totally asking you to see through it! :P

Last edited:
The main problem everyone seems to be having with this film is that there's no real plot, which is kinda true. This isn't a plot or character-driven film, it's mostly philosophical and symbolical, and I understand that such things alone do not create a great film, but such things alone are the saving grace for the film as well. I don't believe it's one of the most amazing films I've ever seen, but I will defend the film's visions. The complaints toward the character designs is understandable, but that's just preference; the designs themselves are unique and they work. It's beautifully ugly. This is how a lot of 4C films are (see Children of the Whales, which boasts designs by the Tokyo Godfathers/Paranoia Agent character designer, and is the same type of beautiful ugly). From my perspective, Tekkon Kinkreet is a completely arthouse film that's conveying themes through a surrealistic approach and, as 4C likes to show off, I believe it works.

I think Tekkon Kinkreet is a perfect film with a multilayered story. It has of course, progress vs nostalgia, yakuza vs delinquents, and the central characters of Black and White and their relationship at its core.

The biggest plot point is Black and whether he will become like the people around him who grew up in this difficult city. After all, Kimura acts as an example of the future that might await him. Largely, a lot of it is about the (obvious) push and pull of where Black will land.

Rewatched it recently, still think it's a perfect film and it's one of my favourite films of all time.

Back