Tag scrub has begun

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
I've begun scrubbing the current tags in preparation for V3. Many tags were created and never used, were unimportant, and/or various tags are being replaced for new ones (for example, all of the adult tags are being refactored).

I'm going to post here with the changes I'm making... as I'm extremely busy as always with V3 work, the changes will happen slowly.

For today:

Deleted:

-Bishoujo
-Bishounen
-Chibi
-Hentai Game
-Underground organization
-Hyper
-Kendo
-Mafia
-Gangs
-Photography
-Intelligent
-Naval
-Space Academy
-Dolls
-Puppets
-Paranormal

Changed:

Gender Swap and Crossdressing -> Gender Bender

Also, all titles with 'Gore' now say explicit content.. will work more on those later.

Wow, I didn't even know we had some of those tags xD. One question though (and I'm not complaining I'm just curious) Are there going to be any specifics under Ecchi and Mature Themes? Like as far as a notation of what kind or degree of Ecchi/Adult Themes there are, because both of them are sort of a blanket term. Just curious cause I know people (myself included) who can handle certain types of Ecchi, but if its excessive or specific types it gets annoying to watch.

Thanks in Advance Sothis-sama

Hentai Game should be changed to visual novel imo (less dirty sounding :P)

A personal suggestion Christmas & Valentine’s Day are not really needed as there aren't enough anime to bother with these and the titles/synops clearly say that they are about the holidays

round 2:

Spastic
Child-age Teachers
Dystopia
Goddesses
Haunted School
Japanese Culture
Piano (Classical Music covers this fine)
Tragedy (too big of a spoiler)
Boobs in Space (a great idea due to Div Eve and its namesake, but too hard to quantify for a formal tag)

There are a lot of anime about goddesses, I don't think that tag should be scrubbed. I don't know how many series on a-p were actually given that tag, but I suspect that there were quite a few that -should- have had it.

Tragedy can be a spoiler if the only tragic part is at the end, but I think the majority of tragedies are tragic from the start. I don't generally watch tragedies though, so I might be misttaken on that.

I never could see the point of something as specific as "piano" being a tag.

heh yeah the tags are already gone - goddesses only had about 5 series attached to it and it wasnt commonly requested either.

round 3 (of gone tags)

Christmas
Fairies (magic covers this fine)
Teacher-student relationship
Twins

**I also removed all people tags - sometime soon we'll have a people database and then people can search by specific people
Ai Yazawa
Go Nagai
Hayao Miyazaki
Koji Yamamura
Leiji Matsumoto
Makoto Shinkai
Mamoru Oshii
Masamune Shirow
Megumi Hayashibara
Osamu Tezuka
Rumiko Takahashi
Satoshi Kon
Yoko Kanno

Art
Sentai
(barely used for both)

also, explicit sex/explicit violence/gore are now gone - series with those tags have been replaced with explicit content

i consider it difficult to identify, and there were only about 4 titles with it on there...

I was always confused about the existance of the people tags, people connected with a series just aren't something that belongs as a tag.

I think the vast majority of dystopia series fall under the banner of post-apacalyptic, rendering the dystopia tag rather redundant.

I think all xmas/easter/etc tags should simply be replaced by a more general "holidays" tag.

Hey! I was using some of those tags, missy!
Why did dystopia have to go? That is a very useful tag and easy to identify, no?
Nooo! Not Dystopia! Seriously, that's my favorite tag other than Post-apocalyptic. *Grouse*

And I actually use the Satoshi Kon tag.

And I actually use the Satoshi Kon tag.

Yeah but if there's going to be a people section in 3 then yo won't need to use it :)

I must say I'm not particularly sad to see these tags go, though the people tags are interesting and useful, but if that's covered in v3 then I'm happy lol.

not 3.0, but in the future we'll definitely have a people database.

Will there be an option in 3.0 to see all the series which lack tags, or not until a later version?

well, currently all tags do have titles attached to them
Uh.. that's the exact opposite of what I meant. I meant anime series in the database, which don't have any tags, like this one for example: Iczer 3 - Anime-Planet
I keep running into quite a few of these via the "random anime" on the anime page & find that they are often very pomising looking series, diamonds in the rough as it were.
I had asked you in chat once if there was a way to see a list of anime entries which have no tags & you said "not currently, but there will be", so I'm curious if that function will be available in the initial release of v3, or if it's one that got pushed back to a later update.

hm , not sure what i was thinking of when i confirmed it being a feature but there's no plans for that atm.

Back