Tabi Machi Late Show

It's only four short episodes so I'll give it a shot.

Episode 1:

I'm glad I decided to give this one a shot because that was a pretty decent emotional payoff after just eight minutes. The story is very simple, but the music and voice actors are able to lend it some weight of emotion. I liked that it just stuck to the details you needed to know without relying on exposition to put the story together. Just from the simple images and flashbacks you can fill in all the details you need. The lack of details makes you feel more connected to the story as the focus is solely on the emotion.

There's not much in the way of animation either, but the simple art style is warm and helps to evoke that melancholy atmosphere when you have to part from someone you care about. The anime takes advantage of that simple shared experience that has happened to everyone and builds off of it.

It didn't have me in tears, but it did manage to get a bit of feels from me. For a short this was kinda great.

Episode 2:

I'm quite enjoying this show.
I think it's simplicity has some charm to it and the few artistic flourishes are pretty cool. In this episode I like how when adult Koizume thinks back to the past it is shown in fuzzy static as the memory has been dulled by the passage of time.

Spitting in someone's face is pretty damn offensive, I'm surprised Koizume didn't slap her for that. I guess Koizume saw the truth in what was being said to her, but it was still a pretty shitty for the girl to do.

Once again I thought this episode was able to create an atmosphere that nails the feeling it was trying to get across. There are always some relatively unimportant moments that we remember and dwell on for far longer than we really should. Even after she was an adult that had moved on with her life she still thought about this one encounter with a girl that she hardly spoke to.

It's not the most sophisticated show, but it gets its point across rather well in its short run time.

Episodes 1 & 2

There's always room for another short
Well I liked both of these, they're little snapshots into the life of people, where we see their regrets or aspirations, and they manage to get a decent amount of emotion into the 8 minutes run time.

The animation is, well it's pretty much non existent, but it doesn't matter to me really, the simplified art style works for me, and the emphasis on the characters works better this way.

I liked the second episode a little better than the first I think, the looking back over what could have been rather than what was is always a bitter-sweet pill to swallow, and I feel that it was captured pretty well here, with Kumeno being more frustrated than sad at the situation, it certainly resonates with me well.

Another good little short this season!

Episode 3:

Wow, this episode really knocked me on my ass.
The first two episodes were both great, but this episode really shows how much can be accomplished with minimalistic visuals and storytelling. In just eight minutes the episode goes through a lot of different moods. It would have been good as a simple sad piece about a child coming to terms with the loss of a friend. However, this episode goes further and is able to portray the simple joy of having fun with friends, while maintaining that bittersweet feeling that it will eventually have to end.

I thought the twist at the end was brilliantly executed and just let the visuals do the talking without needless exposition.

Simply amazing. There's only one episode left and I can't wait to see what this will bring with the finale.

Episode 3:

Wow, this episode really knocked me on my ass.
The first two episodes were both great, but this episode really shows how much can be accomplished with minimalistic visuals and storytelling. In just eight minutes the episode goes through a lot of different moods. It would have been good as a simple sad piece about a child coming to terms with the loss of a friend. However, this episode goes further and is able to portray the simple joy of having fun with friends, while maintaining that bittersweet feeling that it will eventually have to end.

I thought the twist at the end was brilliantly executed and just let the visuals do the talking without needless exposition.

Simply amazing. There's only one episode left and I can't wait to see what this will bring with the finale.

Yeah I have nothing really to add to this other than that it completely blew me away this week. Utterly brilliant.

The first episode made me hungry. I kinda want to know what happens next.
The music makes these shorts pretty emotional.

3:

Man this would be favorite of the season if it managed to apply this kind of heartwarming brilliance to full episodes.That and if it had more than 4 episode. I wish these comix waves dudes would do these kind of flash shorts without the cripplingly low episode count. It kind of disappointed me when it happened with Turning Girls and now this.

Episode 4

Following up to last week's episode was always going to be difficult, I enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed the first two at least.
This episode tells the story of a woman who devoted her whole life to teaching at the expense of really having a life outside of it. It actually seems to tie in the previous 3 stories too, with the school being next to Narita airport where our chef left from, and it being implied that the kids from the second and third episode were her students.

The marriage proposal was a little strange at the end there, but I think that's mainly because we obviously get no backstory on their relationship before hand. The confession was pretty cheesey, but I guess in a romantic and good way.
All in, it was a kind of bitter sweet way to end these series of shorts. I'm glad they exist, and I'm thankful for ZK for turning me on to them.

^ No problem, man. It's always nice to have people to share a little gem like this with. I almost completely passed over this series because nothing in the synopsis really spoke to me, but I would have really missed out if I hadn't given it a chance.

Episode 4:

Pretty much agree with everything Tae said about this episode. It doesn't have the same emotional impact as last week's phenomenal episode, but it was a sweet note to end on and it tied all of the shorts together in a clever way without really drawing attention to it. In short it was a pretty good example of all the things I liked about this short series.

The thing I liked most about this episode was how positive it was. This women has dedicated her life to teaching and it's not treated as some sad thing. She got have an impact on the lives of many children for a brief period in their formative years and it was something she was proud of. Sure, there is some sadness to it, because her time with them was so brief, but it's more of a bittersweet feeling because she was sending them off to a new part of their lives.

I thought the confession at the end was pretty cute even if it was really cheesy. Even though she had to retire from teaching, she got to do so for a happy reason rather than saying she had gotten to old for the job. This way she can be satisfied with her career, but still get to enjoy some parts of life she sacrificed to be a teacher.

Overall, I think this was a beautiful series of shorts. It did a lot with very little and I'd recommend to anyone. 8/10

Can I just say that I already miss this gem of a show. I was legit sad when I had to move this out of currently airing.

Back