Sword Art Online: Progressive

So apparently SAO:Progressive is suppose to be a retelling of the first SAO story arc. Although I don't know how much a retelling can fix some of the problems with SAO's story, since I pretty much gave up on the anime after season 3.

Finally the good part of Sword Art Online is getting an anime adaption. Unlike literally all other SAO adaptions im actually looking forward to this.

For people who have no idea what this is, Its a full retelling of the original arc trapped in Aincrad following Kirito and Asuna as they clear the game floor by floor (most of which together if the manga adaption is anything to go by). Officially its Cannon with the main series as the events of what happened (though this creates multiple plot issues which the author has admited was his fault) and the most recent anime adaptions have been making multiple references to events from Progressive that didnt happen in the originals which will hopefully be explained in the upcoming anime (Including the backstory between this jackoff and Kirito).

There's more?? I was ready to stop hearing about SAO as soon as Alicization ended.
It's supposed to go back through the Aincrad arc but it shows every floor and doesn't skip massive chunks of the game. (and probably no tentacle r*pe scenes this time). The author is only on floor 6 right now, so it will be a while, but it seems like it should turn out really well.

I bought the first couple progressive light novels, I can't even tell you how excited I am for this. Asuna wasn't getting enough screen time and the same fights with better animation are gonna look great!

They are mostly together in the LN. Manga is not canon, so it would be nice if people stopped talking about it.

Cute. Except unfortunately for you anime adaptions for light novels are most of the time based on the manga content due to how much easier it is to adapt when possible and the anime canon has been doing whatever the hell it wanted for quite a while now so whats "canon" in the books is irrelant regardless.

Rumors are floating around that Progressive will be a movie adaption due to how Aniplex is listing SAO on their website, i really really hope it isn't. It would be a massive waste of potential.

Cute. Except unfortunately for you anime adaptions for light novels are most of the time based on the manga content due to how much easier it is to adapt when possible and the anime canon has been doing whatever the hell it wanted for quite a while now so whats "canon" in the books is irrelant regardless.

Rumors are floating around that Progressive will be a movie adaption due to how Aniplex is listing SAO on their website, i really really hope it isn't. It would be a massive waste of potential.
It would be quite stupid to adapt the version of the Aincrad story meant to expand on the original into an even more condensed story. I don't think you need to worry. Even if it's a movie, it'll probably come in multiple parts.

From what I have heard about this anime, it sounds like they are trying to remake the original SAO arc and expand it into the size of One Piece over the next 40 years. While I definitely think there is room for more development in the first arc, I feel like SAO progressive could get very stale long before it is anywhere close to completing its ambitious goals. I also question the idea of putting this much effort into what is essentially a side story for something where the ending is already known. I will still probably watch this when it comes out to see if I am wrong, but I feel like SAO would be better off focusing on its future rather than it's past.

The rumors were indeed right and in the same way @g3data was right "It's quite stupid".
I don't even give a fuck about SAO but knowing that they are making such a stupid move makes me angry.

The rumors were indeed right and in the same way @g3data was right "It's quite stupid".
I don't even give a fuck about SAO but knowing that they are making such a stupid move makes me angry.
It will be an adaptation of the first chapter of Progressive vol.1 (about 1/3 of the volume ). It will be a perfect introduction to the series(way better than the first 2 episodes of season 1), so it's not a stupid move.

Last edited:
I feel like this is just made to satiate SAO fans, but I'm not the type to watch remakes so when it comes out, hopefully someone fills me in about any interesting extra scenes.

It will be an adaptation of the first chapter of Progressive vol.1 (about 1/3 of the volume ). It will be a perfect introduction to the series(way better than the first 2 episodes of season 1), so it's not a stupid move.
I hope its not just an intro anime to the series, would love to see the entire first series reworked. With a different ending to boot.

I hope its not just an intro anime to the series, would love to see the entire first series reworked. With a different ending to boot.
This fills in the gaps. We already have some kind of adaptation of this chapter(episode 2 of season 1), but 60-70% of it was cut out, so there will definitely be some new content for you. SAO Progressive doesn't change the ending. For now, it's not even close to it, because it will probably end on the 25th floor(so it probably won't even reach 75th floor), and right now we're on the 7th floor.

Anime Production members mentioned recently the movie had finished production and was hoped to release in spring 2021. Though this won't be confirmed until they have confidence they can do a cinema run without Covid-19 being an issue.

(Source)

EDIT: 10.28.21

EDIT: 11.12.2021
Sword Art Online the Movie Progressive Film Opens in U.K. and Ireland on December 9
Funimation has announced on its UK and Ireland Twitter feed that the Sword Art Online the Movie -Progressive- Aria of a Starless Night anime film will be released on December 9 in the UK and Ireland. Tickets for the film will become available on November 19.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back