Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld

I see what everyone was saying about this dude being trash... well, I'm sure he'll be dead before this is over...

Well, that sure was flashy for NOTHING...
POWERUP! ... nah, nevermind...

I can't believe we're 5 episodes in... it feels like nothing has really happened. We have come back around to the everybody loves Kirito show again though. It just wouldn't be SAO without a new harem to threaten Asuna's position.

Also, I have zero idea as to why Kirito is with them at the battlefield. I thought they said he was going to be staying back and protected by those pages. Guess he'll OHKO the entire army from his chair. I mean, even with one arm and sitting in this chair he can apparently take out Bercouli.

At least next week there will be some fighting?

I couldn't even watch this episode. Never in my life have I felt SO bored out of my mind. It took a good 5 minutes until the op had come and gone, and the next few minutes consist of angry running, angry staring, and empty flashbacks for characters I don't have much interest in. There was about 1 interesting scene in the entirety of the episode (in my opinion), and throughout the rest of it I ended up having to skip through it as if I was skimming an article. I didn't think I could get this frustrated with an episode.

SAO War of the Underwear, episode 5... how much worse can it get? Let's find out!
Nice to see the 2 students again... but all this talk talk talking... get on with it...

... just keep dragging it out...

While the animation is pretty good at times, like with that Knight's fire attacks, and some of the close-up shots. There are still times when the overall shots look rather wonky, like, clearly it's CGI doing very basic and simply patterns. So, all-in-all I'm not super impressed.

And, again, this episode was sort of just a lot of cutting from random characters who have had pretty much no involvement with the story at all up until this point. So seeing characters die on screen, and seeing characters get upset and what not is just being wasted on me at this point. I don't care about any of these characters because none of them were built up at all. They just appeared and are doing stuff.

I fear it'll be some time before Kirito and the original cast join the fray...

It's amazing how boring they managed to make that. The lack of background and familiarity with the characters had me feeling like I'd started watching a series in the middle with no context for anything. And then they had a character be gay for about four seconds before she died. Like, really? They thought it might make it more interesting to have a lesbian, but only for the shortest amount of time possible before they killed her off. Great, thanks.

Also, if you're in a war and the enemy throws something at you -- anything, but especially something with a lit fuse -- you'd think you'd run, or at least get out of the way a little. But no. The entire fleet just stood and stared as it exploded. They deserved that.

I'm just hoping they give Asuna a flashy entrance... if she ever arrives that is...

Dude, you glitchin' out.
... she shouldn't be able to move her arms after that... taking what would have been an epicly tragic sacrifice into some BS last words nonsense... way to ruin it.

What's she doing? Going bowling? ... awe they cut away...

Well... at least there was some action.

I'm just hoping they give Asuna a flashy entrance... if she ever arrives that is...

Asuna is going to show up and Kirito is going to be like, "You're not Eugeo." While desperately clinging to Eugeo's sword.

Then, through some miracle, Asuna will wake him up. Reacting to the dormant anger from the loss of his boyfriend, Kirito will dual-wield and solo the entire demon army. Meanwhile Alice will be like, "Yo, who is this red-haired bitch?" And, Asuna and Alice will duel to the death while Kirito mourns Eugeo in the corner, alone.

The rest of the Kirito harem will show up and be like, "Kirito, you have forgotten who you are, and thus you have forgotten us." Then Kirito will be like, "The only thing I remember is the taste of Eugeo's lips."

Meanwhile, the main "villain" of this arc will be like, "I'm here too guys." And because he's so inconsequential Klein will one-hit him so we can focus on the sexual tension between the Kirito-Eugeo-Asuna triangle for the remainder of the season.

Asuna is going to show up and Kirito is going to be like, "You're not Eugeo." While desperately clinging to Eugeo's sword.

Then, through some miracle, Asuna will wake him up. Reacting to the dormant anger from the loss of his boyfriend, Kirito will dual-wield and solo the entire demon army. Meanwhile Alice will be like, "Yo, who is this red-haired bitch?" And, Asuna and Alice will duel to the death while Kirito mourns Eugeo in the corner, alone.

The rest of the Kirito harem will show up and be like, "Kirito, you have forgotten who you are, and thus you have forgotten us." Then Kirito will be like, "The only thing I remember is the taste of Eugeo's lips."

Meanwhile, the main "villain" of this arc will be like, "I'm here too guys." And because he's so inconsequential Klein will one-hit him so we can focus on the sexual tension between the Kirito-Eugeo-Asuna triangle for the remainder of the season.
I feel like you put more thought into this post than the writer has put into the anime... at least you made it interesting.

Renly sucks... why did he practically get a whole episode to himself? It's stupid that he was scared of one goblin when he turned around and was killing a group of them. There really wasn't any reason to even have him run away, other than to fill time.

Otherwise, basically nothing else really happened. In terms of plot, we've really only moved forward by about 5 minutes.... the series creeps onward.

LMAO

Ah, this show tries too hard to be dramatic with throwaway characters. The Orcs dying and Eldrie were both just very, eh. I had a twinge of hope that Kirito was going to step in when it flashed to a shot of him as the worm-curse approached. However, it seems he probably won't step up until we reach the mid-point of the season. This is really dragging out.

I don't understand why Alicization is so different in structure and writing style from SAO, ALO, GGO, and Mother's Rosario. I feel like Kawahara isn't a bad writer, so what is going on with this arc?

Loli's killin' gobs.

Showing the gob chief splitting in half MULTIPLE TIMES kind of ruined it. The first shot was awesome... the rest, unnecessary and uncool.

I'ma firin' muh lazer!

Still no Asuna...

Attack with the fire of a thousand suns!

Like pigs to the slaughter.
... too soon?

Go so far negative you underflow to invincible! (nah, not gonna happen lol)

Pew pew dragon lasers.

So... How long has this battle been going? I could have sworn there was some Kirito staring at the wall I needed the action of.

At least Sheyta was somewhat cool. I might actually end up liking her if she gets some more screen time and gets fleshed out a bit. Seems sort of like a female Youka Kurama.

And, finally, Asuna has arrived. Not sure why she has god-tier powers, but at this point, anything that progresses the story is a welcome addition.

What would be cool... is if when Asuna finally shows up, she cuts down Vecta like he's nothing. (doubt it will be that much fun) ... and where has that other dude been?...

And who is this girl we've never even seen before?... well, at least maybe the battle will be flashy...
Ok fine, cutting her arm in half was cool. (but then a useless flashback to break the action? director drunk?)
Why did they wait until now for this girl? She's alright.

Oh, there's the other bad dude...

... making holes for the baddies to fall into?... Not sure if I'm happy that Asuna is finally arriving... or that her arrival won't be her cutting these dudes down. But, at least she's all glowy and stuff.

Back