Sunoharasou no Kanrinin-san

The beep-boop machine, indeed.
While I have no particular objection to Nana in a general sense, I can't help but feel like--since she's sticking around for awhile--she's basically made of filler. And, as such, even ignoring my general aversion to new characters appearing at this stage of any anime series, I do not see what she adds to the show.

And, considering her actions prior to this episode, Prez's objections to Nana's glomping of Akkun seemed...far less emphatic that I would have thought. I mean, she fights her at the start of the episode, but...maybe she's keeping her distance out of self-preservation. Or maybe they just want to be able to have Nana squish Akkun to her bosom without consequence.

I like this show better than most of the ones I'm watching, this season, but...for some reason I also find it easier to set aside.
Nana and her friends are in the way. The cast was entirely fine and entirely sexy enough without them, and I think the massage sequence proves that beyond a doubt.

In addition, time spent with the shotacon girls means there's less time for the uncomfortable yet somehow compelling Prez/Akkun/Landlady triangle, which should have been the focus of the ghost incident rather than the Tale of Two Titties that was Nana's sexercise routines.

The sharp turn to pure ecchi filler isn't the worst thing ever, but it is notably worse than what came before it. And there aren't enough weirdly sexy legs-in-stockings shots in the world to change that.

Nana still sucks and, as such, is sucking the fun out of the silliness of the show. (Even if I do find her shotacon friends to be strangely amusing.) She tries too hard--and I don't just mean because her main character trait is "tryhard" (though, in many ways, it really is). Nana is a joke they really, really, really want to land, but she just doesn't--especially in light of how late in the story she was introduced. As I've been saying, she's filler, gumming up the works that is the Landlady/Akkun/Prez love triangle.

For example: remove Nana from Ep 8 and replace her almost entirely with Prez. Basically the same episode, but without the bit where Prez is laughing at Akkun for his "sleep face" instead of, as she does with her attempt to invite him to the festival, being furious that he fell asleep on Landlady. You even get to keep the punchline about Prez doing the same thing with Landlady, except now there's more weight to it and to her (what would obviously be a more intense) response to his turnabout accusation.

That said, the stuff where Prez was thwarted and/or "forced" to act on her feelings (the invite attempt, crashing the PA system) and the stuff where Akkun and Landlady shared an intimate moment were terrific.

Which, of course, makes Nana just that much more glaringly unnecessary.

An episode that was light on anything meaty, especially in the middle section where Nana's visit and Prez Et Al went on their trip and nothing happened at all. I mean, I guess we got to see Landlady in her underwear, but other tha--er, um, I mean, we got the reason why Landlady would have exercised to much (nailed the recovery), but otherwise...like, I didn't think we'd get more filler-y than the Oktoberfest segment, in this episode, but I was wrong.

Still, it set up the final part, which did what the show has done best all along: allowing Landlady to move things along by actively understanding she's an ecchi character. Which I do not mind at all.

And I am all caught up. For a few hours, at least.

Damn. Guess I'll need to binge this one.
I think it's worth it. I found it to be both genuinely funny (mostly) and, not infrequently, genuinely romantic (...though this could have used more emphasis).

The introduction of the sister and the conflict she brings was not great, but as a character who might waft in and out of the story, on occasion, I suppose she's all right. But, not unlike Nana, she feels very much like an addition for the sake of an addition, and she doesn't bring much in the way of new content to the group: she wants Akkun to herself, and she's in overt competition with Landlady for his attention--so she's A) like everyone else, and B) could easily be swapped out for Prez.

Which is my complaint for the series as a whole: the strength of the show was the silliness of the love triangle, and while things absolutely needed to veer into other scenarios, this should always have been the through-line--but it wasn't. Prez was never consistently jealous, and Landlady was...actually, Landlady was great; really, they needed to (in my opinion) step up the Prez angle--even just for the joke aspect--to really build that tension, however ridiculous it would be (because of the age disparities and because, no matter how much Prez was competing with Landlady, Landlady was NOT competing with Prez). I think that sacrificing a few shotacon jokes or gairu jiggles would have been worth it.

But I did laugh. A lot. And the highs not only outnumbered the lows (which weren't all that low, honestly) but, I think, made up for them.
A solid 3.5 out of 5...not that I'll ever think of it again, probably. Wouldn't mind a second season, though.

id love a season 2 and i wish aki would've hung out with the small girl more, they are a good match, + the last episode was them sleeping together so that kinda helps for the future in a way, and shes been showing signs of liking him in the last few episodes.

Shota love show.... fetish-based anime that doesn't offer much else.

I guess it was a alright show, made me lol a few times nothing special though.

Did like the relationship between yuzu and aki more then anything and wish it was in more of the show.

2.5 - 3 /5

Back