stupid question about "conversations" thing in forum profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokodin

hello
i am not really a frequent forum user and not really a social person to be honest either, but it been over 10 years since i actually have anime planet account and i was followed by a friend from a different website. He recently made his list here and asked me a wierd question i can't answer

how to contact other users directly?

i searched the site and forum for a while and i can't say that i can see any way to do it, or am i blind? i know there is a discord link below but i was looking more for pm on the site or forum itself, sice i don't even use discord and don't have an account there. and there is that mysterious "conversations" subsite in user meny but i can't seems to be able to make new conversation to a random user?

so is there a way or isn't there a way?

There are profile comments on the main site (public comments) and private messages on the forum. If you click on a user's avatar, a pop up with appear and one option is "Start a Conversation" which will bring you to the PM screen.

yes, i been clicking on profile pages, and avatars all over the site and i can't find"start conversation" anywhere , and that is why am i asking this in the first place
for example if you are not an exemption of the rules and don't have private messaging disabled (i assume because i don't know) i click on your avatar and this pops up
https://kokodinlaboratory.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/clipboard03.jpg
and your forum profile looks like this on my end
https://kokodinlaboratory.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/clipboard04.jpg
and i simply don't see "start conversation" anywhere even with find on the site option from firefox

is the feature even still on the site then or is it selective?

edit
"Contact this user by leaving them a comment" simply redirect to profile on the main site (not the forum one" to leave an comment under the profile itself "in the open"

Last edited:
If you click on a user's avatar in the forum the following will show up:
convo_screenshot.PNG

Clicking on Start a Conversation there will start it.

You can also click "Start a New Conversation" under https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/conversations/ and fill out their name in the participants list.

yes, i been clicking on profile pages, and avatars all over the site and i can't find"start conversation" anywhere , and that is why am i asking this in the first place
for example if you are not an exemption of the rules and don't have private messaging disabled (i assume because i don't know) i click on your avatar and this pops up
https://kokodinlaboratory.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/clipboard03.jpg
and your forum profile looks like this on my end
https://kokodinlaboratory.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/clipboard04.jpg
and i simply don't see "start conversation" anywhere even with find on the site option from firefox

is the feature even still on the site then or is it selective?

edit
"Contact this user by leaving them a comment" simply redirect to profile on the main site (not the forum one" to leave an comment under the profile itself "in the open"

I tried starting up a conversation with you. If you didn't get it, let us know.

Edit: Message was received.

Last edited:
ChalamiuS yes now it does show up, but before it was simply not there and in forum/conversations link i had no blue buttons on the right, only history was there.(empty) so either Kari5 or you fixed it for me , intentionaly or not. because i did a screenshots with "start conversation" thing simply not being there and i did click on multiple random users to check if anyone has that link visable. nobody had those, but how i have them in everyone's profile popups

wonder if i didn't had those because my account was so old ? if i remember corectly in the olden days i had to actually create forum account myself manualy because i simply didn't had one ( around the time keroro gunsou anime ended) i remember that because i was the one asking moderation crew to change series status from ongoing to finished after watching it and discovering there is no way to pick "watched" and this forum acount simply does not have those forum posts registered as my as if they never existed. so i guess forum is also evolving not only main site

by the way i dig into my mailbox registered with anime planet and i found this gem
4-10-2009 at 1:11 sothis wrote:
AP Email
Hello, the only way to private message a user is via your forum account to their forum account. Unfortunately we don’t have the funds to build a site-wide private messaging system.

Thanks,

~sothis

Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 3:35 PM
To:[email protected]
Subject: Anime-Planet Contact Form: Other

i was wondering. is there any way to send a private message to other user? if fhere is a way could you tell me how? there should be a way in my opinion
the dates, they so old :]

It is actually funny to read "new account restrictions" refering to an acount used for over a decade.
That being said not being an english native might have influenced that "not used" state on the forum side of things.

It is actually funny to read "new account restrictions" refering to an acount used for over a decade.
"New Member" is what the forum software calls it, a bit of a misnomer since it's based on activity and not account age... yeah.

Basically it seems the forum software doesn't allow people with only 1-2 posts to PM people. Its a measure that stops bots from spamming users' PMs. Most likely this thread alone got you enough posts to allow messaging ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back