Steins;Gate 0

Episode 1:

Ya'll remember that sequel to the Evil Dead where all the messed up shit Ash had gone through made him trade in his manly machismo for depression, his witty quips for severe psychological trauma and his chainsaw arm for a crying hanky?

Neither do I. I'm aware I'm being grumpy here, but the show traded away it's strongest asset and didn't offer me up much to replace it with. Without Okabe's energy to carry the episode, it's impossible not to notice that I'm watching a VN where no one ever shuts up. The silver lining here is the first half dozen episodes of the first Steins weren't great either. However, I remember the dialogue being better, but that might be because Sad Okabe just doesn't have the same wit to be playing off the other characters. The only funny line in the entire episode is the comment about Daru loving the adult loli.

It's at this point I have to ask myself what I wanted from this and watching this episode I realized I just didn't want this at all. It's a spinoff sequel I never asked for to a show that wasn't asking for one. Which is when I realize I'm probably not going to talk about this show much because I just don't like the very premise of this series. A darkest timeline story with the saddest versions of everything is the last thing I wanted out of the Steins especially when the first season actually had a balance between the lighter material and the dark stuff and that show could be dark as shit sometimes.

The episode was far from bad, but I still didn't enjoy it much.

Ranked #10 one episode in... Now thats a loyal fanbase
Not seen it but this must be like the best episode of anything ever!!! I mean to go up that quick, that or fanboys over selling it, but that never happens.

Anyways, random question, is this series in anyway associated with the movie? I never got around to watching this (i will one day when i am bored i guess) so don't wanna pick it up if it has any connection, it sounds to be an alternative time line, which i imagine doesn't connect in anyway but i am on the fence what to do at the current time.

Not seen it but this must be like the best episode of anything ever!!! I mean to go up that quick, that or fanboys over selling it, but that never happens.

Anyways, random question, is this series in anyway associated with the movie? I never got around to watching this (i will one day when i am bored i guess) so don't wanna pick it up if it has any connection, it sounds to be an alternative time line, which i imagine doesn't connect in anyway but i am on the fence what to do at the current time.

As I said in my post, you unfortunately have to see the first season, it looks like. The movies are not necessary at all, they do not connect. You would not be understanding lot of things and it doesn't look like this season is going to return to explain the basics; it counts with the knowledge you have from previous season. Even though this is a different timeline, some events happened without changing any timeline.

And of course it ain't the best episode ever. People just orgasming about an OK return of their favorite anime with the notable and popular characters after so many years.

I think the main problem Zero is going to have and already does, even with someone who might have played the VN...

Is just how they're introducing it. In theory, everything Steins gate connects in some sort of world line. However, there are potentially 2 movies, aren't there? It makes it hard to figure out.

As for what I thought of the first episode:

The opening isn't really catchy, and if the ending song is the opening song.... Then I'm not sure it's going to really stay in my head long. Honestly, one of the main things with Steins gate that stood out was that song in the opening.

As for accessibility... I don't think there is much. It makes it necessary for you to at least know a good number of plot points from the original anime at least. The original was accessible, even with a lot of the vn material supposedly not being put in.

I'm not sure I'm going to like this as much, but it seems to be at least trying to do the best it can to try and stick to the material. I don't know how they're going to choose what path Okabe goes on, but we'll see when it comes to how they choose to structure it. I kind of wish they could do a higurashi thing... but that'd be a lot more work than necessary...

Last edited:
Episode 1:

Ya'll remember that sequel to the Evil Dead where all the messed up shit Ash had gone through made him trade in his manly machismo for depression, his witty quips for severe psychological trauma and his chainsaw arm for a crying hanky?

Neither do I. I'm aware I'm being grumpy here, but the show traded away it's strongest asset and didn't offer me up much to replace it with. Without Okabe's energy to carry the episode, it's impossible not to notice that I'm watching a VN where no one ever shuts up. The silver lining here is the first half dozen episodes of the first Steins weren't great either. However, I remember the dialogue being better, but that might be because Sad Okabe just doesn't have the same wit to be playing off the other characters. The only funny line in the entire episode is the comment about Daru loving the adult loli.

It's at this point I have to ask myself what I wanted from this and watching this episode I realized I just didn't want this at all. It's a spinoff sequel I never asked for to a show that wasn't asking for one. Which is when I realize I'm probably not going to talk about this show much because I just don't like the very premise of this series. A darkest timeline story with the saddest versions of everything is the last thing I wanted out of the Steins especially when the first season actually had a balance between the lighter material and the dark stuff and that show could be dark as shit sometimes.

The episode was far from bad, but I still didn't enjoy it much.
Yeah, I had to sit next to this man ball of grumpy and endure it. A tragic marriage.

As I said in my post, you unfortunately have to see the first season, it looks like. The movies are not necessary at all, they do not connect
Coolio, i seen the first season, just never got around to the movies (this is common place for me) so good to know it isn't essential

I think the main problem Zero is going to have and already does, even with someone who might have played the VN...
Never played the game so that works fine for me :D

Oh snap #1 in a day, not even MHA or :RE got this kind of reaction, guess this is what happens when you leave the fans craving more steins;gate for 7 years smh

*still nice to see my boy Okabe back*

Last edited:
More Steins;Gate goodness, El Psy Congroo!

<spoiler>
A possible spoiler, since I haven't played Zero VN.
We'll get to see how the future Okabe who left the video messages in the original came to be.
Also possible that this will end with Okabe getting his shiz together and going back in time to save Kurisu.
Or I might be entirely wrong and probably am, and I would be happy if so. I actually prefer when a story keeps me guessing and everything isn't just obvious from the start.
</spoiler> (how do you do spoilers?)

Ep. 1:
How to continue a story that ended with perfect closure? Alternative universe!
By all accounts I shouldn't like Mayushi, but tu-tu-ru-I-stil-do-do-ru. On the other hand, the cat girl is even more annoying than I remember.
Is wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. And I don't mind that it starts out slow, since the original series was even slower at the beggining. I'm surprised they managed to keep the tense mood of the original series, even though nothing has really happened yet. The soundtrack helps a lot, I'm sure.
Wait, "dad"? Shoot, I don't remember that. In my defense, it's been over 5 years since I watched S1.
So far so good. But it's hard to tell what it's going to be about at this point.

Ep. 1:
How to continue a story that ended with perfect closure? Alternative universe!
By all accounts I shouldn't like Mayushi, but tu-tu-ru-I-stil-do-do-ru. On the other hand, the cat girl is even more annoying than I remember.
Is wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. And I don't mind that it starts out slow, since the original series was even slower at the beggining. I'm surprised they managed to keep the tense mood of the original series, even though nothing has really happened yet. The soundtrack helps a lot, I'm sure.
Wait, "dad"? Shoot, I don't remember that. In my defense, it's been over 5 years since I watched S1.
So far so good. But it's hard to tell what it's going to be about at this point.

Welp, you should rewatch the last two episodes of the original serie to refresh, plus episode 23B (released under the name "Kyoukaimenjou no Missing Link") where this "alternate" timeline start from, it's not really alternate as it is part of what made the ending in the original serie possible (again, if you watch ep.23A you'll understand), it's not that much of a cash grab as it was insinuated in the original but only released as a VN in 2015

It's going to be pretty dark and not as fun as the first serie, but should still be enjoyable (it's almost half of the whole story in fact and not just some small spin-off like the movie), I just hope it'll be complete enough, as from what I read there were some things missing in the anime prequel that would make events in this sequel not totally possible, but hey at least we got something :)

Episode 1

I'm sure it's mostly nostalgia and how hyped I am for more Steins;Gate but I thought the episode was amazing. I was worried how will this turn out, I mean it has been so long since Steins;Gate came out but after first episode I'm relieved, it still had that feel that original had. Thing that stuck out the most for me is probably Okabe being so serious, it was rather depressing as Tents said.

I don't really have much to add or say except it was great start, can't wait to see what comes next.

Whew.............this show sure know hoe to play up dramatic thriller moments. I just hope they don't over do it.

I couldn't help feeling tense when Okabe was freaking out as they were revealing their memories research, and then when I reflect on it, it shouldn't have been a tense moment.....more of an expected moment if they were basically just continuing research on existing material.

Ranked #10 one episode in... Now thats a loyal fanbase
Episode 1 HOORAY
YES!! Does this mean she has her memories from the previous pasts and their retained? Or is she basically a replica?
This episode is far from the crap side of starting up and introducing elements to an anime. It actually jumped right in with no bs cliche catch phases and made it all seemed they grew up and matured. The fact that he's more timid than before shows how much stress and shit he's put up with in his head.

I really wanna see where this goes and this is probably the most hype I'll have for a second season anime. Hope everyone else enjoys it :)

02:

KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISTIIIINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

At least there was some comedy, that it alleviated the mood a bit.

Also, that engrish was amazing. Okarin english best english.

That is all.

Last edited:
Back