Spice and Wolf II

Watched episodes three and four.

The story is developing in an interesting way, I'm really curious to see how it will end.

I was a little bit disappointed about the reaction that the characters had to the announcement, especially for Lawrence that is actually cheating in obtaining the money by fraud (because Horo isn't really what they say). Anyway I'll wait to see, obviously we all know that Horo is going to choose Lawrence for sure, but let's see how the "duel" will end.

Anyway, I'm not sure, we should have watched up to episode six within today (saturday) isn't it? (I'm asking because I'm trying to follow the American time zone and I'm still confused).

Episode 3
Horo's breakdown seemed rather out of character. She's usually so in control, and having lived for so long, it just seems so weird that she'd respond like a small child to things.
I can't remember the schedule, and don't particularly care. Just watch however many per day you'd like, and I'll keep up! (uni's out for the winter)

Episode 1 and 2
A nostalgic feel watching this.
Horo and Craft Lawrence are still like a fun loving bickering couple. Lawrence is now showing how much he is learned as a
better tradesman. Still looking for the home of horo.
What was up with that dream she had?[/spoiler]
Ok, I've just watched the first two episodes (and first OVA and two minutes of the third episode because I was too curious, I admit). So I hope that all the others from the buddy group are ready too.

This is quite different from the first season. Now I see that it's all focused on the weird relationship between Lawrence and Horo, moreover some elements from the first season are directly referenced here. Obviously the characters are quite different, I have to say that I watched the first season not so recently, but I could feel the difference. Anyway it's not bad, I'm really curious about how this situation will develop.
Yeah a lot of poking at the fact she still liked to eat (and DRINK!) and innuendos about the bed situation
Alrighty!
The OP is a bit disappointing, considering how much I loved the first. The ED manages to be just as adorable as the first, but with less engrish (I'm still not sure how I feel about that).

The second episode in particular (but the first as well) had WAY too many flashbacks that barely served any purpose. Hopefully they'll lessen up as the series continues.
Yep, hope there is not more fill, just to kill time. I know they are getting us back to speed, but i did nto need to see as much.

I watched episodes five and six yesterday and seven and eight today. I'm relly liking this season, the first one was nice, but this definitely caught my attention.

Episodes five and six
A a matter of fact I didn't appreciate how they ended the duel. I mean, Lawrence was supposed to be in trouble (even if not as in the last part of first season), but this time he just organized a plan that would have failed without Horo. Moreover Horo seems to forget the question of her most likely disappeared home and forgave Lawrence too easily (considering her reaction after she read the letter). No, they could have written something better, even if we already knew that Lawrence would have won the duel.
Episode seven and eight
I still can't understand the "reunion of 50" (don't know how they translated it in English) and its reason to decide wether to sell or not those goods, anyway I liked the new story. Obviously a mysterious female trader could be interesting, but so far it's everything too slow. I guess this season has only two arcs, so next four episodes we'll be all in this city, I hope they develop an interesting plot and don't end it too "easily" like the previous.

I'm still watching two episodes a day, since I'm liking the anime I'll write here soon after watching it, but I'll wait for your posts to comment.

Yeah sorry Absolute, I just seem to be able to devote only about an hour and a half to my vice lately.
=)

Episode 3 and 4
Well, now we know why Lawrence was RUNNING at the end of epidsode2.
who would have thought that boy would be all into Horo that much to make a scene.

lol love how horo, asked "why did you not just rip up the contract?"
Excelent banter between her and lawrence, but the end of Episode 3 is a bit maddening!
why he does not tell her WHY he did not tell her about yoitsu (her town)
Watched episodes three and four.
I was a little bit disappointed about the reaction that the characters had to the announcement, especially for Lawrence that is actually cheating in obtaining the money by fraud (because Horo isn't really what they say). Anyway I'll wait to see, obviously we all know that Horo is going to choose Lawrence for sure, but let's see how the "duel" will end.
It does seem against his nature
Lawrence's. but there is always a bit of faking by a merchant... the bearded guy (cant remember his name) is the one who cares about his namesake and honor. Got to kind of love that aspect
This is ALMOST a love triangle with Amarty. Anyhow, like you said I will see how this "duel" will end.

Side note... Got to love the Hoodie band! take it away boys...

takeitawayboys.jpg

Ok. I understand all the economics jargon and all, just not the "common" sense backing it. So I'm watching episode 5, and all of his actions make sense, but I still don't get why the dickens pyrite is so expensive. It's completely useless.

On a different note, Spice and Wolf is one of those series that, while I don't particularly love, I just can't stop watching.

ALSO! There are still too many flashbacks, except now they're all about the episode which I just watched. I suppose this is less of an issue for people who keep up with the series as it's airing.

Last edited:
@absolute;

I agree that the surface plot involving Amarti was kind of weak, but that didn't bother me much..

..since we knew that the relationship wasn't really threatened and could focus on what the heck was going wrong and why. The "crash the stock market" surface plot was just there to prove that Lawrence is just as intelligent as Horo.. even under extreme emotional duress.

To me the whole point of the Kumerson arc seemed to be not that it was a duel between Lawrence and Amarti, but a duel between Lawrence and Horo. It felt like a study of two characters that bring out the worst in each other (and they really do).

I was impressed that Lawrence came up with the same plan Horo did, and would have succeeded if she wasn't "in his way". It shows that he doesn't really need her to succeed - she might even be holding him back. He needs her because he's in love with her, and is finally cluing in (unlike Horo, who's clearly in denial about her feelings for Lawrence).

Ultimately Horo really had no choice but to forgive Lawrence. She was just as much at fault as he was, yet she let him take all of the blame and responsibility. If she couldn't even forgive him, the story might as well end right then and there. She's clearly struggling with the fact that she has feelings for him.

@Funkgun; he doesn't tell her for at least two reasons;

First, she's obviously an emotional wreck, and he needs to tread lightly (and work up the courage to tell her). Second, on some level he's selfishly scared that it will be the end their journey. After how she EXPLODES at him, I don't think he was wrong to assume either of those things, although he was far too chickensh*t about it (he obviously doesn't like to see her hurt, if episode 1 didn't make that obvious).

Still, it's not like she wasn't keeping rather large secrets from him. In fact, she basically hides everything she can from Lawrence in this arc, making it all the more "ironic" when she reveals in ep6 that she hoped that they had a stronger bond of trust between them. They kind of deserve one another in that sense.

@AirCommodore, re Pyrite:

The Pyrite was only artificially worth something. A fortune teller had given it value by drumming up a demand for it as a cute and popular knick-knack that might be a worthwhile good-luck charm (and everyone's wife wanted some as a result). Supply and demand then carried it's value into the stratosphere, despite it being fundamentally worthless.

If everyone knew the alchemists had so much Pyrite, then it would be worthless.. but Deanna, Lawrence, Horo, etc kept that fact hidden. If Horo hadn't stupidly kept her plans secret from Lawrence, and then completely broken his trust in her, then they would have made quite a killing. Hell, if Horo had even been honest with Deanna then she might win enough sympathy to make a bit on her own, despite Lawrence's antics.. but instead Deanna got mad enough to show her who was boss (and presumably to stop being so heartless with Lawrence).

Last edited:
@AirCommodore, re Pyrite:

The Pyrite was only artificially worth something. A fortune teller had given it value by drumming up a demand for it as a cute and popular knick-knack that might be a worthwhile good-luck charm (and everyone's wife wanted some as a result). Supply and demand then carried it's value into the stratosphere, despite it being fundamentally worthless.

If everyone knew the alchemists had so much Pyrite, then it would be worthless.. but Deanna, Lawrence, Horo, etc kept that fact hidden. If Horo hadn't stupidly kept her plans secret from Lawrence, and then completely broken his trust in her, then they would have made quite a killing. Hell, if Horo had even been honest with Deanna then she might win enough sympathy to make a bit on her own, despite Lawrence's antics.. but instead Deanna got mad enough to show her who was boss (and presumably to stop being so heartless with Lawrence).

I mean, I sort of get that, but the show is asking me to assume that everyone in town except for the main characters are exceptionally dim-witted and easily manipulated, which I find rather hard to believe.

I mean, I sort of get that, but the show is asking me to assume that everyone in town except for the main characters are exceptionally dim-witted and easily manipulated, which I find rather hard to believe.

You're right, but I doubt intelligence has much to do with it when people are willing to pay a premium for popular items or status symbols. Still, the window of opportunity would only last for a few days before the novelty and fad wore off. The townsfolk weren't necessarily dim-witted..

..because many of them were already there like Amarti and trying to sell slowly to make a buck. Lawrence wasn't out for the money at all.. he just wanted to crash the value so Amarti wouldn't be able to keep selling to make his money. And Horo? She just had a decision to make after she overheard Lawrence at Deanna's.

Last edited:
ep7
I'm really glad that they found Horo's tail while they were patting her down. Even though they were too stupid to notice anything odd, at least they realize that it's there, which was better than I expected. Though how they missed her ears is beyond me.
ep8
Ok. So they have to decide whether the fur trade is legal because the northern expedition was canceled. That only makes a marginal amount of sense, but maybe if they go into more details about aforementioned expedition, everything will be alright.

I watched episodes five and six yesterday and seven and eight today. I'm relly liking this season, the first one was nice, but this definitely caught my attention.

Episodes five and six
A a matter of fact I didn't appreciate how they ended the duel. I mean, Lawrence was supposed to be in trouble (even if not as in the last part of first season), but this time he just organized a plan that would have failed without Horo. Moreover Horo seems to forget the question of her most likely disappeared home and forgave Lawrence too easily (considering her reaction after she read the letter). No, they could have written something better, even if we already knew that Lawrence would have won the duel.
In all reality he
won by default, having Horo, and Deanna's interference.
@Funkgun; he doesn't tell her for at least two reasons;
First, she's obviously an emotional wreck, and he needs to tread lightly (and work up the courage to tell her). Second, on some level he's selfishly scared that it will be the end their journey. After how she EXPLODES at him, I don't think he was wrong to assume either of those things, although he was far too chickensh*t about it (he obviously doesn't like to see her hurt, if episode 1 didn't make that obvious).
Still, it's not like she wasn't keeping rather large secrets from him. In fact, she basically hides everything she can from Lawrence in this arc, making it all the more "ironic" when she reveals in ep6 that she hoped that they had a stronger bond of trust between them. They kind of deserve one another in that sense.
yeah i see that now that I have seen the end of Episode 6.

My thoughts on Episode 5-6 (especially6)
That was one of the most action filled episodes... and it is all about the Market! =D although I guess it was pretty easy to figure out that horo would end up
helping win the day for Lawrence. The fact that most of her actions were all for show kinda bugged me. how many times must she "test" him between seasons.

Ok, that Deanna was a bird, was a killer touch... AND that Horo heard lawrence ask about humans and Pagan Gods mating... Nice end to that arc.

what do you think Amarty asked her that she got all mad at him for?

In all reality he
won by default, having Horo, and Deanna's interference.

The ending, for me, was saved by the fact that
Lawrence would have won this all on his own, if Horo didn't visited Deanna or had asked Deanna to let Lawrence win. It's pretty much certain that Deanna would have given Lawrence the Pyrite if Horo hadn't rubbed her the wrong way.

I guess it was pretty easy to figure out that
horo would end up helping win the day for Lawrence. The fact that most of her actions were all for show kinda bugged me. how many times must she "test" him between seasons.

This whole arc,
Horo's actions show that she isn't as wise as she claims. If she was less busy binge-drinking, and paid attention to Lawrence's emotional state (prior to Deanna forcing her to), then this whole "crisis" would not have happened. She's too proud to even accept some of the responsibility for the situation. Based on how she reacted to Lawrence's admissions in the end, Horo seemed to be operating under the assumption that Lawrence had absolutely no feelings for her.. which means she somehow forgot episode 11 of season 1 or that she's merely just as oblivious as Lawrence.

Ok, that Deanna
was a bird, was a killer touch... AND that Horo heard lawrence ask about humans and Pagan Gods mating...

Deanna was my favorite character this season,
simply because she knocked Horo down a peg. You don't want to piss Deanna off, even if you're a gigantic wolf goddess. Deanna really let Horo hoist herself by her own petard, and you can tell how well it worked because Horo took it out on Lawrence (as usual).

what do you think Amarty
asked Horo that she got all mad at him for?

Ominous voice: "Nobody knows". Common theories are
that he either seriously bad-mouthed Lawrence somehow (which would explain why she didn't tell Lawrence what he said), or badly downplayed Horo's intelligence somehow.

Since Horo has a bit of a hair-trigger about her appearance, my favorite theory is that he somehow insulted her tail (I can picture him discovering that she's wearing a "fake tail" and telling her it's too ugly for a nice girl like her to wear).

Ok, I cheated and finished to watch the whole season (even if I watched last episode with english subtitltes, and the plot was not so simple to follow, so I'll rewatch it when subs in my language are up).

It was better than first season, and we can even see a good developing both on the relationship between characters and about "the travel to the north". I think it is a good series, I'm definitely satisfied and will watch the next season(s) for sure (while I was doubtful about this second one).

For detailed comments about plot I'll wait for the others to finish and maybe when I rewatch last episode.

This whole arc,
Horo's actions show that she isn't as wise as she claims. If she was less busy binge-drinking, and paid attention to Lawrence's emotional state (prior to Deanna forcing her to), then this whole "crisis" would not have happened. She's too proud to even accept some of the responsibility for the situation. Based on how she reacted to Lawrence's admissions in the end, Horo seemed to be operating under the assumption that Lawrence had absolutely no feelings for her.. which means she somehow forgot episode 11 of season 1 or that she's merely just as oblivious as Lawrence.
I would tend to think that is more the case. She even takes slight blame for the cause of his delema in a previous merchant battle... well sort of. She then equates everything to mistakes HE made lol.

Ominous voice: "Nobody knows". Common theories are
that he either seriously bad-mouthed Lawrence somehow (which would explain why she didn't tell Lawrence what he said), or badly downplayed Horo's intelligence somehow.

Since Horo has a bit of a hair-trigger about her appearance, my favorite theory is that he somehow insulted her tail (I can picture him discovering that she's wearing a "fake tail" and telling her it's too ugly for a nice girl like her to wear).
AHHHHHH, That would be a good theory. I think Aircommodore said something about them finding the tail in Ep 7. now I see she is pretty particular about it. I thought she was going to say something to that guard who was checking her out.

*side note* BZS, you really must stick around till I end this man.
Episode seven and eight
I still can't understand the "reunion of 50" (don't know how they translated it in English) and its reason to decide wether to sell or not those goods, anyway I liked the new story. Obviously a mysterious female trader could be interesting, but so far it's everything too slow. I guess this season has only two arcs, so next four episodes we'll be all in this city, I hope they develop an interesting plot and don't end it too "easily" like the previous.
Yeah I am enjoying Episodes7-8 the new storyline.
I like the reference to the slave trade. You knew that was going to be an issue, if you are going by real era this is set in.
Ok, I cheated and finished to watch the whole season (even if I watched last episode with english subtitltes, and the plot was not so simple to follow, so I'll rewatch it when subs in my language are up).

It was better than first season, and we can even see a good developing both on the relationship between characters and about "the travel to the north". I think it is a good series, I'm definitely satisfied and will watch the next season(s) for sure (while I was doubtful about this second one).

For detailed comments about plot I'll wait for the others to finish and maybe when I rewatch last episode.
lol well to be honest, your not cheating, we all should have been ending it yesterday or today I think. Sorry to make you wait another couple days Absolute.
if it is any consolation, I am really enjoying the show; with you and A.C.

In episode 7 especially when Lawrence
kisses Horo's hand... talk about a moment in the staircase. ;)
Episode 8 is another lesson in taxing goods and disputes in towns with revinue problems.
Is there even close to another show like this in Anime??? She really needs to stop hitting the booze. ;) Oooh that barmaid was hitting on Lawrence!

For those watching the second half of the season, I recommend paying close attention to Lawrence and how he interacts with Horo. Otherwise you might find this half of the season confusing not just because of the surface story, but because of what's going on with Horo and Lawrence.

There is also a pile of difficult-to-translate dialogue, so if you aren't sure about particular scenes feel free to ask (I'll repeat what I've learned from various discussions if needed if you aren't the type to dig around forums looking for answers).

BZS, you really must stick around till I end this man.

Oh, don't worry about that :)

Oooh that barmaid was hitting on Lawrence!

Yeah, it sure was nice to see him "on his own" and showing some confidence in his line of work (though the novels apparently made Lawrence comes across as unsure of himself compared to the anime).

Funkgun, no need to be sorry, I was apologizing because I said that I would have waited for you, but I was too curious and watched it when I could breaking my word.

Anyway, yes, if possibile, I'll ask you Bash about last arch developments, but not now, I'll ask when I rewatch last episode, I hope soon (but most likely after holiday).

About setting, I suggested this series to a friend of mine and he (who loves History) complained about a lot of "errors", (details, but he always succeeds in ruining things) for example he complained because they ate potatoes in the anime and they didn't exist in Europe in medieval times (and stuff like this, most of which concerning the influence of Church and relations with Pagan issues).

Aww... Not once in this season did Horo
turn into Giant Wolf Horo.
How disappointing. Those were my favorite parts from the first season.
However! I still think I preferred II over I, but I'm going to rate them the same anyway. They may as well have been aired together.

About setting, I suggested this series to a friend of mine and he (who loves History) complained about a lot of "errors", (details, but he always succeeds in ruining things) for example he complained because they ate potatoes in the anime and they didn't exist in Europe in medieval times (and stuff like this, most of which concerning the influence of Church and relations with Pagan issues).

it's not supposed to be "Europe" but "Europe-like"

you're friend is wrong about potatoes... they were brought to Europe from the Americas by Columbus-era explorers... in the 1500s

However, they were slow to come into use until the maunder minimum (AKA mini ice age), when wheat and grains died in the horrible cold and short growing seasons. Many nations converted to potatoes because they could survive in the colder temps easier. (some nations would not... like France).

The friend is right because the setting in Spicy Wolf is well before potatoes, back around the 1000s around the "dark ages" when the Church was acting about the same as in Spicy Wolf. Potatoes didn't arrive in Europe till around the 1500s and didn't become a true staple crop for another century or so.

Yes, that's the problem and "mistake" in Spice and Wolf (he also claimed that it must be set before 1500s so that potatoes couldn't be there) so azanimefan's correction isn't enough to save the script. But, I mean, you are watching an anime for story, drawings, characters and so on, if some details are wrong, ok, it shouldn't compromise the entire show. I tried to tell him that it was set on a fantasy world (not Earth) that is exactly like Earth but where potatoes exist in the analogue of Europe. He still says it's stupid because they have to say what's the setting otherwise they are incompetent. Yes he's stubborn and I am not so patient to continue arguing with him.

Back