Solo Leveling

Is anyone else seeing the MH as an anti-hero lately?
It's not a complaint , I actually like him being a bit agressive from time to time.

Anyone?

My good friend @automotivated recommended this to me a long time ago and I finally started checking it out yesterday because I haven't been in as much of a game mood lately so I figured I'd do something else for a bit! At first I wasn't sure if I'd care for this that much cause it seemed to have a somewhat generic premise (and the RPG-esque stuff felt kinda bland early on) but the action just keeps improving more and more the further I get in. Even the RPG stuff and abilities the MC gets manage to get increasingly interesting,
especially with how he can use his Shadow Lord abilities to turn the souls of his fallen enemies into his personal servants in battle.
There's not much of a plot so far but that's okay, it's pretty clear the focus is on the action rather than the story. My one complaint really is that the MCs "training sessions" of sorts that he does in between the full blown raids can feel a bit dull in comparison to the cooler stuff that goes on during raids. It's just more interesting when you throw the actions of other hunters into the mix, but as the series goes on even the training stuff improves drastically over how it was in the early chapters. Also the art kicks increasing amounts of ass as things progress.

I'd give this around a 3-3.5 rating so far (I'll keep from rating it for now cause who knows how things might go when I read the rest of it), but it's definitely a fun way to kill some time!

I recently started reading solo leveling cause it seemed popular for a reason, and now I understand why it's so popular cause it has a really good plot and the mc has great character development

If i'm being honest i probably didn't like this at first because of how weak he was and i'm not the type to like moments like that ....he was completely weak and had no faith in himself though it cannot be changed now i guess i'll just see what this has in store..

Solo Leveling seems to be a story that does something right to garner as much popularity as it has. I’ve read the original webnovel a few times now. I notice more and more that some of the finer word craft is not mind blowing. Also, some portions are not as exciting to re-read. BUT what does catch me are these:
1) the pacing of the protagonist’s growth alongside revelations of the world and the unique level up ability of our beloved hunter.
2) how I was invested in how the protagonist would turn out as a character. Good? Bad? Anti-hero? Keep or loose their humanity? The ultimate product by the end with the epilogue episodes are just absolutely delicious dishes to eat again and again.
3) there is a subtle attachment process to the characters around the protagonist. The end attachment to them carried my heart in the final story arcs, particularly the epilogue stories. That attachment has been important to my sentimental attachment to the Solo Leveling story.

Solo Leveling is not a groundbreaking “perfect” story. But it is an amazingly enjoyable and entertaining story with an ultimate wrap up that I personally love. Plus there is potential for sequel material! Readers who’ve finished the original webnovel will know what I mean.

Last edited:
Anime Youtuber Gigguk made a video about solo leveling:

tldr is: Solo Leveling is like Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey. You know exactly what you're getting but it's just entertaining. And i have to agree. Love this manhwa.

Chapter 176-177
Okay so we're just going to effectively wipe pretty much the whole story out of existence so hopefully the Earth isn't as fucked? Not sure how I feel about that, and it seems this is going to be ending in just a few chapters but I'm hoping it'll end on a decent note though it'll probably be on the rushed side. Either way, it's still been a pretty fun time.

Chapters 155 - 177

rambles !! i also purchased all the volumes that have been published thus far (1 - 3.) and it feels amazing to have them on my shelf!

phew, i fell behind for a while, but i finished catching up yesterday. I have to admit the war with the monarchs and the other guys who im just going to refer to as angel sentinels (bc i cant remember the actual name) isnt where i thought things would go, but considering jinwoo's skyrocketing power ability they were going to have to introduce an actual equal leveled opponent eventually.

I worry a little about how it will eventually end. the dragon monarch battle & cup of reincarnation scenes are clearly endgame 'we are rapidly approaching the finale' type beat.

i have my reservations on jinwoo doing that whole war again (on his own) mostly cause it feels unnecessary. if you have the opportunity to roll back time and undo the untimely deaths of tens of millions, i think it would be difficult not to want to try to reverse that outcome, and yet it bugs me a bit.

at the same time it feels so much like martyrization. i love jinwoo, hes a baddie. jinwoo stan. but also the reversal feels like it detracts from that battle, the seriousness of gates and having excessively strong creatures from another dimension curb stomping the general public. its war. massive loss is going to happen. its supposed to be this world altering, devastating attack to overcome in the face of adversity that just boils down to an oopsie! lets try again <3

sure, the monarchs will remember everything and the battle for jinwoo to defeat them all singlehandedly will be a challenge in its own right — but it worries me.

im able to admit im not the type of person who likes realistic scenarios in media so far removed from reality, but i personally feel that if there wasnt any way to reverse time it would have attributed to some sort of inevitable truth that no matter how strong jinwoo becomes, he cant save everyone. he personally seems fixated on taking things on utterly alone (hence the title) to avoid fatalities and save lives. its admirable for sure, and its better than him becoming an dickweed drunk on power, but i digress.

the decision aligns with his trauma from that double dungeon from the beginning, when he was powerless then, so its not an unfounded choice to do it again on his own. its never really been about glory for him.

despite my minor nitpicking i still do love the story! its always so stunning visually, and OP main characters just absolutely dominating enemies is my bread and butter. Is it a simple premise? sure! but its enjoyable. im sad we are getting closer to an ending but its been such a ride since i started it over a year ago. I'm excited for more volumes to be published, cant wait to snag them all.

Chapter 178
Time gets turned back and all of a sudden there's a 27 year time skip where we jump to the end of Jin-Woo's second fight against all but one of the monarchs... not gonna lie that feels a bit rushed. On one hand I get it since because we've seen him fight them already it could have gotten really repetitive, on the other hand it would have been interesting to see how the monarchs fight while having the knowledge of how their previous defeats went. As rushed as it felt it's certainly not the worst thing I've ever seen but there was a bit there where I was like "wait what?"

Here's hoping the final battle manages to end things on a good note! I'll be happy if it's at least a really cool battle.

Back