So I'm a Spider, So What?

Here's my view on it (and, understand, I fill in my own head cannon to make things more enjoyable):

I think it's an interesting concept to have one character with clear memories of the past lives (the teacher) who takes measures to "protect" those former lives (going so far as to kidnap them and possibly kill their families or caretakers). The kids have vague, at best, memories of their past lives, and many appreciate the lives they had in this new world (born rich, royal, etc), while some relent their new lives (born poor, outcast, etc) which causes a rifts between former friends. Cut from two characters with blades locked, ready to kill the other, to their previous lives assisting each other to score the winning goal or whatever else. Some may even believe the teacher and hope to return to their past lives which they sadly lost, since this new world is only a second chance, since their old selves died in their previous worlds, which only bolsters support for the "selfish" kids who want to be OP in the new world.
hmm, now i am not sure if you made that stuff up or misunderstood the show, but let me put some things out here (in spoiler, just to be sure):
  • everyone reincarnated has all their memories intact from their previous life. There was never a hint to think otherwise.
  • the reason why the teacher kidnaps the children is not to protect any past life. It is because of her ability "Class Roster", which allows the teacher to see the future of the children (eg. student brown-hair-elf dies in 2 months). She intervenes to prevent those deaths.
  • also there is no conflict between two factions of the kids (new life vs old life how you described it). That Hugo (formerly Natsume) kid is just a piece of shit. A bully in his former life, now a pampered prince (in one episode spider is phoning Administrator D and D said she tried everyone to be reincarnated as fitting as possible. Fitting for a bully who thinks he is better than anybody else to be reincarnated in that way).
Please take no offense from that, but when we discuss a show here, it should be about what is in the show. I mean it's great for you to have that kind of imaginary capability (i couldn't make stuff up like you did here in a hundred years ;)), but you can't have a meaningful discussion if people talk about stuff in the show and another joins in with their fanfiction.

hmm, now i am not sure if you made that stuff up or misunderstood the show, but let me put some things out here (in spoiler, just to be sure):
  • everyone reincarnated has all their memories intact from their previous life. There was never a hint to think otherwise.
  • the reason why the teacher kidnaps the children is not to protect any past life. It is because of her ability "Class Roster", which allows the teacher to see the future of the children (eg. student brown-hair-elf dies in 2 months). She intervenes to prevent those deaths.
  • also there is no conflict between two factions of the kids (new life vs old life how you described it). That Hugo (formerly Natsume) kid is just a piece of shit. A bully in his former life, now a pampered prince (in one episode spider is phoning Administrator D and D said she tried everyone to be reincarnated as fitting as possible. Fitting for a bully who thinks he is better than anybody else to be reincarnated in that way).
Please take no offense from that, but when we discuss a show here, it should be about what is in the show. I mean it's great for you to have that kind of imaginary capability (i couldn't make stuff up like you did here in a hundred years ;)), but you can't have a meaningful discussion if people talk about stuff in the show and another joins in with their fanfiction.
None taken and that's also why I disclosed that I make things up myself. Not that the show actually did that, but it had the potential to, especially if it were a standalone and took more time to focus on the humans and didn't split with the spider.

I guess sharing my imagination here is also a small hope that anime writers are on boards like this to get ideas of what fans want.

None taken and that's also why I disclosed that I make things up myself. Not that the show actually did that, but it had the potential to, especially if it were a standalone and took more time to focus on the humans and didn't split with the spider.

I guess sharing my imagination here is also a small hope that anime writers are on boards like this to get ideas of what fans want.
So what you wrote earlier was your view how the human side could / should have turned out to be better, right ?
Because with understanding that, i'd think your ideas sound better than how the show turned out :)

One thing I can say the ending at least connected things together and explained all the issues with the elfs.

Fuck this fucking show.
The one interesting thing about it, the Goddamn spider, is now just some human chick sticking out of a spider body. And apparently later just some regular looking girl. Yeah, cause that's what people wanted.

This show is garbage. The story sucked, any character who wasn't the spider was dull as watching fucking paint dry, the animation at the end was a level of shoddy even Ex-Arm would laugh at...fuck this show, all the people who worked on it and...fuck it.

1 out of 5. Won't be back for a second season of this shit.

Main characters in what would be season two are Ariel, Shiro and Sophia.
Oh cool, now im looking forwards even more for it. Just hope they dont do the thing where half of the episode is dedicated to the hero and his party.

If this gets a second season through the same studio then there truly is no justice in the world.

The source material is great, and the performance and direction for Kumoko was great, but they carved everything else up so bad that they should never be trusted with another property, let alone more of this one.

If another studio got the go-ahead then I'm all for it, but this was an embarrassment.

If this gets a second season through the same studio then there truly is no justice in the world.

The source material is great, and the performance and direction for Kumoko was great, but they carved everything else up so bad that they should never be trusted with another property, let alone more of this one.

If another studio got the go-ahead then I'm all for it, but this was an embarrassment.
I didn't check the studio until now. Famous for Teekyu and Berserk.

This explains so much...

Since the last episode didn't conclude anything, I take it that theres going to be a season 2?
Well the story not being finished doesn't mean much in the anime world. For example Deadman Wonderland or No Game No Life anime both end in the middle of things and both never got a second season. One can only hope. But i wouldn't mind if another studio would take on season 2.

I said my piece already so I'm not gonna say much more. The pacing is bad, the multi perspective is bad, even the Kumoko parts were bad, the tone was all over the place, the visuals were horrible and overall there was little to enjoy about this anime.

Final consensus: It was a disappointing adaptation and I'd even go as far as to say, I would have preferred to get nothing, rather than this.

I don't think anyone can say the animation on this was good and most would hope that another studio would pick up any possible season 2. That being said i really did like all the spider parts, were funny and super engaging. Kumoko as character just kept you interested in what was going on. Always talking to her self and rambling of crazy stuff being so energetic and that attitude, couldn't get enough of her. I really hope they don't lose that side of her now that she is human.

I also thought the two story's running parallel from different time points in the story were cool. Always kept me thinking and questioning who Kumoko was in the later timeline. I honestly thought she was the demon lord for long time .... i guess she kind of is ? lol. Obviously the spider story line was WAY better then the human one and i was always disappointed when it switched. Although it started to improve at the end getting more into the core story for them and adding on a bunch of new characters that have promise to them, mostly on the demon side. Fei started to improve more as well ... Shun and Katia were crap till end. Guess biggest reason it got better near end though was the fact that they were getting to the point where Kumoko was joining up :)

If the show was just the human side i would give this a 3 or 3.5 but god damn i love that spider. Spider 5/5 lol

4/5 maybe a 4.5 but that human side at the start really lowers it down along with the animation as well. I want S2!

OP 2 was great.

This anime has an interesting concept, but to tell a story like this the pacing needed some serious work. All the Kemoko stuff was great imo, the rest was rushed and made little sense on it own - I had to read up on wiki to fill in some plot gaps. They should have reworked the entire pace of the tale, if they were going to be limited to 24 episodes. I was pretty disappointed by the end.

I thought that the show was good. The pacing needs some work, but I like that towards the end you can see all the dots connect. Both between the characters and the events.

Back