Slow Loop

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Zed, Dec 23, 2020.

1. interregnum

interregnum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Slow Loop doesn't have the same charm as Yuru Camp or Sweetness & Lightning that allowed those shows to give you tutorials without seeming like they were trussed-up tutorials. So, when half the episode is "informative," and the other half is overwrought "kids are mean" drama, it's kind of lost me.

That said, Koi's sun-avoidance outfit made me laugh. As did Koharu being over-ready for a hug.

Overall, though...meh. Swing and a miss, this week.

AardvarkRex likes this.
  2. AardvarkRex

AardvarkRex Well-Known Member

Yeah no too much sappy drama in this one. I'll take the Breakwater one over this any time.

interregnum likes this.
  3. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Episode 5.
    Too much drama, not enough fishing.

4. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

Episode 6:
    Never had Mahi-mahi before. It's not exactly cheap here but I should give it a try sometime when I'm not broke. Though eating it raw is out of the question for me.

Ichika is a pretty cool onee-san but Kaede seems to be the cooler one. Not only does she runs her own bar but she hunts game too. Plus, she's voiced by Yoko Hikasa.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  5. interregnum

I keep thinking I'm going to drop this--and then we get the obligatory Koi-steps-into-frame-before-the-fishing-trip-starts shot, which is a blind box of hilarity as we see what she's adorned in this time (even if it's just a reluctant expression).

Also Koharu ability (and willingness) to say just about anything and have it be in character. Those two things get me through the episodes, now. Because apparently the character stuff really isn't the point, anymore. It's just about fishing. And...eh.

6. randomredneck

Episode 6.
    Mahi-Mahi and Dorado are the same thing? Well, I learned something today.

7. evilneko

evilneko Silver Supporter

Koi fucking carries this show. I love her. Send more Koi pl0x.

8. AdmiralMuffin

Episode 7:
    That little wedding dinner was nice and sweet. Hiyori and Koharu did part-time work in a restaurant not too long ago so they got to flex their experience.

9. interregnum

"This thing was alive just a few moments ago. I'm not afraid of it anymore."

Well...good to know Aiko's getting a spinoff series where she kills all her fears in a series of escalating bloodbaths.

Also: funny that Aiko's speech was about Futaba being able to do whatever she likes, but that the immediate precursor to the speech was a brief misunderstanding where Aiko was afraid Futaba was a lesbian.

At least, that's how I interpreted that.

Admittedly, that's how I interpret a lot of things, in anime. But the point stands.

And...the episode was fine, I guess. Nothing particularly good, but nothing that really dragged it down, either.

10. randomredneck

Episode 7.
    You know, between the phrasing of "Like what you like", the episode being titled "Wedding" and the super date-y vibe of them in the aquarium, I thought this show was about to go in a whole different direction there for a moment.

11. interregnum

As ever, the character stuff is fine. And the fishing stuff is boring. So, the second half of the show worked better, for me, than that first.

I've said this before, I think, but, for my money, they need to find a way to blend these two things better.

Also: it took a bit for this to click, but...no Koi. And we felt it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  12. Saeryen

Saeryen Well-Known Member

I've been watching but haven't posted until now.

Poor Koharu. I felt teary when I saw her little brother in the memory and just wanted to hug her.

13. randomredneck

Episode 8.
    I miss Koi. This show isn't as fun without her.
    But we did finally get an 'Onee-chan'. So that was cute.

interregnum likes this.
  14. randomredneck

Episode 9.
    Best girl is back.
    Also, I guess you could say that story was...BEARy scary! HEYO!

cosmia, AdmiralMuffin and interregnum like this.
  15. interregnum

Indeed.

And the show is so much better for it.

AdmiralMuffin likes this.
  16. AdmiralMuffin

Episode 9:
    [​IMG]

Huh. I totally didn't know that. Messed-up.

Anyway, not only do we get Koi back but we get a super chill Yuru Camp-esque episode. It's pretty cool to see Koharu slowly progressing with her fishing and using everything she learned. She's even giving tips to other folks now. Good for her.

Never was a fan of putting mayo on fish, not even when it's fried, but mayo and miso seem like an interesting mix.

interregnum likes this.
  17. interregnum

Pretty good episode. Good pace, a pleasant lack of over-focus on the dynamics of fishing, elementary school yuri, Koi posing smugly about her mackerel cooking skills, and Koharu getting the chance to get all "Koharu" on people other than Hiyori.

Best part, of course, was getting to see Koi in her school uniform.

Which isn't a joke. I genuinely regret that this show isn't primarily set in their school, now.

Madoka likes this.
  18. Madoka

Madoka Silver Supporter

So due to reasons, i haven't been on much recently, it naturally comes to my disappointment (though not surprise) to see people not loving this show as much as me, but i guess i knew this would happen from day one, can't a guy just love his fishing shows!!! Not that anyone is stopping me... I'm seriously gonna have to start fishing with all this knowledge!

Anyways, I'm still enjoying each episode, the characters and slow pace is totally my sort of combo!

interregnum likes this.
  19. randomredneck

Episode 10.
    And most supportive future girlfriend goes to Aiko. That kid is already simping at such a young age. Also, those students are philistines. That parasite exhibit looked cool. You'd totally catch me in there.

20. interregnum

It's no coincidence that the arguably best episode so far was centered on #BestGirl Koi.

randomredneck likes this.