Skate-Leading Stars

As far as ice skating goes I know nothing more than what I learnt during Yuri!! on Ice. Considering the studio and staff, it has the potential to be great, but also to be pure garbage. The first episode felt a bit too fast, they wanted to tell too much within 20 minutes, maybe skipped a lot of scenes that would build the characters and make us care more about them. They might want to focus on other things and this was more of an introduction, and that is fine. Sometimes you have to cut parts to tell the story you want within 12 episodes.

So far it looks OK.

From what I've seen with the first episode, I'm liking it so far. But I also wish the studio slowed the pacing just a tiny bit. My impression of Kensei feels good so far, but I do like my fiery red-haired protagonists. The character designs are by the author of Black Butler in case people were wondering. I also feel like SLS will be focusing on the technical aspects of skating since I didn't get a lot of information from Yuri on Ice.

So for the most part I definitely feel optimistic about SLS, but I hope JC Staff knows what they're doing.
Curious to see how how Kensei is going to get into the team skating club, since they don't want him.

Last edited:
I just watched ep 1, and while I wasn't particularly blown away or anything I'm shocked that this already has a 3.00/5 score... what did people find so offensively bad about it?
Anyway, I'll give it a few more episodes to see if I want to watch it all but for now I have a positive impression of it.

I was expecting a psychological-sport anime when it actually is a superficial predictable story. I hate so much the MC, he is selfish, self centered, arrogant, superficial and yet he still act like a pitiful victim. i understand that keep losing is frustrating, but since he can only think about himself, he doesn't even try to emphatize with his 'friends' and other clubs members. How would you react if someone in barely a day get better than you in something you practiced for your whole life? I hate how this anime make efforts look worthless.
And every character is somehow annoying and boring.

I find the characters are a bit overdramatic for my tastes and the story is cliche. The animation is decent though. However, I find it entertaining.
Tiny little tomato

The figure skating animation is decent

Tragic MC backstory activated

The granny nightgowns in the OP have me dead

The skare-leading club roasting the MC lmao.

Why is tiny tomato practicing ice skating in the ground?

I wasn't expecting Mustard to be his younger brother. The revenge against Mayo is a bit stereotypical

Mustard really outed his injury right away.

They are doing a lot of telling instead of showing.

Mayo has the personality of an ice prince and probably is gonna be that cliche lonely at the top

Did Mustard just tie someone up?

Why is ketchup just going on the ice without practicing?

The fall gave me secondhand embrassment. The animation actually looked nice during the quardrule flip.

I was expecting Mustard to fake his injury

Ketchup got rejected

Mustard is definitely not a fine and upstanding citizen.

They really should have done the estranged childhood friends trope better.

Mustard really sees Ketchup as a dog lol

Hobo man doesn't coach. Mustard really got kicked out

They shouldn't have given the key. Eggplant was about to kick him out

Mustard pulls out a risky bet with dropping out of school as a stake

That is one chaotic team. Mustard really has his work cut out for him

I just watched ep 1, and while I wasn't particularly blown away or anything I'm shocked that this already has a 3.00/5 score... what did people find so offensively bad about it?
Anyway, I'll give it a few more episodes to see if I want to watch it all but for now I have a positive impression of it.

3/5 is literally slightly above average, that isn't bad. There's absolutely nothing offensive about that rating, and based on your comments it seems your rating should be the same.

3/5 is literally slightly above average, that isn't bad. There's absolutely nothing offensive about that rating, and based on your comments it seems your rating should be the same.
Based on my rating scale that utilizes all the scores? Sure.
Based on what people usually score things? That's low. There are an insane number of people that just use from 8 to 10 to score things on every rating platform

39XVf.jpg

39XVg.jpg

39XVh.jpg

Okay. I lol'd.

Not surprised by the hotheadness from Ketchup. I'm glad that the three of them managed to wow the audience.

Mustard really didn't have any stakes in that bet lol.

Episode 1 starts with childhood memories of MC. From that I have figured out about the basic plot about the story ( it's pretty basic). Till episode 2 I didn't find any problems with anything hope so I can't find any. (basically it's not happening).

It had no love. And when trying to fix that they made it seem like winning was the only thing important. If the people in charge of this want this to be a good anime then all they have to do is bask in the sun for a bit- if you understand. Technically just don't rush it. This anime doesn't have a manga so they have only a few chances to get people to keep watching. I believe they can fix this already tarnished reputation. The characters will be loved if given the right opputunity to shine and all anime watchers are dreamers- so give the characters a good dream, one that is worthy of a story.

When at the start of ep 4 one dude was apparently missing but looking at the crowd I couldn't even tell who that was supposed to be I realized that I really just don't care about this show. Dropped.

(I've watched the 5 episodes that have aired already, so I'll try not to spoil!)

Quite honestly, my reason for watching this anime was to fill the gap before Yuri!!! on Ice the Movie: Ice Adolescence comes out later this year. As a huge YOI fan and someone who's always admired figure skating, of course Skate-Leading☆Stars appealed, right. Now I didn't go into this anime expecting something astounding, but I was cautiously optimistic. The character designs looked great and I was hoping their personalities would match.

WRONG! Unfortunately, this show has a mix of quite unlikeable characters and characters so bland that even their pretty boy faces don't make up for it. Yes, I'm talking about our protagonist, Maeshima, and antagonist, Shinozaki.

For starters, Maeshima is one of the most obnoxious main characters out there. He has 15 year old Eren Yaeger's angst and stubborn independence, with Bakugo's rage and pride. Yet unlike either of these characters, there's nothing to really endear him to the viewer at this point. His primary motivation is to beat his rival from elementary school, and he comes across as very petty and selfish in the way he goes about it. I don't want to spoil anything in particular, so suffice to say that even by the end of episode 5 he still has great difficulty cooperating with other people. There have been a few signs that he's developing, but it's really taking time. Will Maeshima turn things around and show that he can be a team player? Well I sure hope so, and I also hope it's done in a way that doesn't seem completely out of character.

On the other hand, there's Shinozaki, an undefeated champion top skater. From the beginning we see how cold and arrogant he is... and nothing really changes. He's overbearingly aloof and doesn't really get any development whatsoever. I'd love to see him get some more screentime, more backstory, anything, but it just hasn't happened yet. For such a talented and expressive skater, he's very emotionless off the ice. So far he's essentially a plot device to get Maeshima all fired up and 'inspired'.

Then when it comes to Maeshima's teammates on the Ionodai team, none of them are very memorable or fleshed out in my opinion. Probably my favourite out of everyone is Kubota, the quiet kid. He may not be flashy like the others (in fact he's kind of anxious and seems to doubt himself as a lead), however, he's able to overcome that and fight for his spot, giving us someone to root for.

The story so far isn't anything greater than former gifted kid returns to the sport as a high schooler in time for competition season. There's nothing particularly inspired or thrilling about Skate-Leading☆Stars. It definitely has nothing which can hold its own against the magic of YOI. To be fair, I wasn't expecting that though, and neither should anyone starting this anime.

It's only 12 episodes total so I'm going to finish it, but if it was any longer I'd probably drop it. The animation of the skating itself has been good so far, I just wish that part got more focus than Maeshima's constant bickering. The visuals are one of the redeeming qualities along with the OP, which is pretty catchy. I'm still looking forward to seeing their programs performed, even if the characters themselves end up being completely underwhelming.

Overall it's just about worth watching if you're into skating and teenage boy focused sports anime. I don't recommend prioritising it on your list though.

(hopefully I can update this review when more episodes have aired)

Episode 5:
Well, they went in with showing the guys in the bath.
I want to like this anime, but I feel like its failing in certain areas like with Maeshima and Shinozaki's character development. There have been moments like with Kubota, but other than that forgettable. I feel like JC Staff made this anime with the intention of cashing in on sports fans and YOI fans. If it weren't for it being 12 episodes long I probably wouldn't have bothered honestly.

I have to be the only one here who isn't completely annoyed with this show lol. I do agree it's pretty forgettable and generic, but to be fair to the show, it isn't really trying to be anything more than that. I haven't gotten bored with it yet at least, so there's that.

Unfortunately, this show has a mix of quite unlikeable characters and characters so bland that even their pretty boy faces don't make up for it. Yes, I'm talking about our protagonist, Maeshima, and antagonist, Shinozaki.

I think everybody's already lost interest in their rivalry at this point, to be honest. Which is fine. With all of those targets on Ice Boy's back, you'd be forgiven for forgetting he has beef with the main character.

It's funny. It's not really those two I have a problem with here, it's more the guy who keeps hanging around the MC and threatening to put him on a leash or whatever other kinky thing. I understand if the show feels it has a BL quota to meet or something, but they could have really tried to work harder to make the manager guy more likeable than he actually is. Or even less insufferable, at the very least.

Back