The Aquatope on White Sand

Rewatch the first episode before you judge her as being selfish and short-sighted.
Yeah, no, I...I got it. I got why she doesn't want to go back.
And, in fact, earlier today, in regards to Episode 2, I wrote this:
I get not wanting to return to a pity party or the backhanded supportiveness of people who think she didn't have what it took to make it but who cares what those entertainment folks think anyway.
And I'm fine with that. I actually really liked that moment. (Ah! That was the other moment I wanted to talk about, in Ep 1, but forgot! Mystery solved.)

Where I fully disagree with your take is your assertion that her being impulsive somehow precludes her from being selfish and short-sighted...which is what it means to be impulsive.

That there is logic to her actions does not mean that they are right or wrong--just that they can be explained in a simple, linear fashion. So, yeah, I get why she did what she did. In fact, it's narratively compelling (for the most part) that she did it. But it was absolutely selfish of her to do it AND NOT TELL THE PEOPLE WHO WERE EXECTING HER THAT SHE WOULDN'T BE HOME. She's literally only thinking of herself.

Further, I'm not saying she can't do that. I'm not saying this shouldn't be allowed as a character choice. But I would absolutely say that it doesn't quite work as it is presented in the story.
I'd compare it to Aqua Girl and her berating of Former Idol for not knowing how to handle the penguin feeding. That it happened and that it is prompted by the stress of the aquarium being on the brink of shutting down is all fine...but it's all superficially done. Someone comes in, turns to the camera, and says, "Oh, she was being a dick because of stress." And then the problem just goes away. And Aqua Girl never has to deal with her terrible decisions. Former Idol never holds it against her. And the show just acts like it didn't happen.
We need it to be more than just an excuse for her to go on the adventure that lets this story unfold. Which, in this case, means we need it to connect to and line up with and provide nuance for the surrounding character context. Because however much I can justify it being realistic that she would ditch her family and then shut off her phone when she sees a million messages from her worried family (cough selfishness cough cough), reality doesn't work in the clean narrative arcs that stories need to.

Speaking of which, she reminds me of Minko from Hanasaku, kind of attitude problem from the get go in which the reason doesn't justify.
How dare you.

tumblr_mvpslhzRPt1qbvovho1_500.gif

#BestGirl

Also, Minko's attitude was totally justified: Ohana didn't respect the inn nor take it as seriously as she did. You can think she was a jerk, but that was a clash of personalities between the two. Aqua Girl's just poorly written.

But i feel this contradicted the opening to the show, the two staff talking implied it was idol-chans choice to leave
Yes! I thought the same thing.

you really destroyed her career here, she was nice and you ruined her
I think the idea is that Former Idol ruined her own career, even if Kohaidol provided her the opportunity to screw herself over.

What shocks me, a bit, is that Former Idol would have had to make the suggestion that they swap days without explaining why she would want to for this to at all work out as she described. And even that depends on the producers being totally oblivious dipwads.

i hope she feel guilty!
Well, she does feel guilty. That's why she ran out to see her all full of tears.

Man i don't envy the guy who is crushing on Kukuru, she has a attitude issue.
Again, I think it's less her personality than it is the bad writing.

Though maybe that's a distinction that doesn't really matter, here.

But, yeah, he should totally go for Udon-chan, instead. (I quite like Udon-chan. (Whose mom was Plump Fortune Teller! Bonus!))

for story telling sake, its fine
I agree only so far as it doesn't have to be exceptionally deep. It can be easy and that's not a problem. BUT...it does need to be at least vaguely justified. This episode mostly tried to get away with lampshading the easiness ("You'll just let anyone stay here, huh, Grandpa?") rather than work the character explanations for it.

It's no worse than some college student taking in a minor and suffocating said minor in her suspiciously large bosom... because stuff happens you know.
I know this is a joke, but...the tones of each show clearly set how far from reality things are allowed to stray before disbelief is suspended.

Even with magic thought sharks (or whatever the hell we saw, last week), Aquatope isn't allowed to stray very far from the mundane.

I suppose this would only fail to make the following scene where she is berated for not knowing how to feed penguins ... without fracturing their bond but whatever.
Not if the whole point is that Former Idol is shocked by how differently Aqua Girl is treating her, allowing her to be what prompts Aqua Girl to reveal to her and to us what's bothering her (the aquarium being shut down). Rather than having the lovely but far less connected to the scene Tourism-chan do all the explaining.

Just, y'know, off the top of my head.

guess its a minor detail in the end
It's more than minor, since it informs the long-term viability of the arrangement. I know it's not the most pressing detail, but it's fundamental, in terms of both girls' characters: does Former Idol care about earning money? does Aqua Girl care at all about how to run her business?
Again: if Aqua Girl is utterly desperate for funding to fix the aquarium, how does she have the resources to employ someone new?

I challenge this, Slice of Life need no drama!!!
And yet we had 10 minutes of Aqua Girl berating Former Idol for no reason.

But... that text which made her look like she has been kidnapped, which after days of not answering her phone, she quickly answers, offers vague replies and then hangs up? I swear this is would be 95% kidnapping from her mums eyes.
Yup. Still.

It's a big problem the show needs to address--from more than one angle.

I liked this guy lol. Mostly just because he is so lazy and don't get called out on it.
The lazy (or seemingly lazy) part was amusing enough. Didn't mind that. I just don't like how they played his inability to deal with girls. I think it would have been funnier if he was, like, unthreateningly a misogynist (kind of a childish "ew, girls" attitude) rather than "afraid" of the feminine types.

...though I did find his weird declaration of joy towards the "handsome guy" weirdly endearing.

Anyone else ever watch the show Girlish Number?
tumblr_oeszigBMZa1s5f9ado1_540.gif

...maybe.

Also: yes, to your point. The whole show was basically the fluffiest de-glamming of voice acting it could be. (Especially when you get the backstory for the manager/brother.)

#BestGirl
You saw Ohana, right?

Also, Minko's attitude was totally justified: Ohana didn't respect the inn nor take it as seriously as she did. You can think she was a jerk, but that was a clash of personalities between the two. Aqua Girl's just poorly written.
True but i meant more in their initial personality, as Minko did soften up as we went along, i imagine Kukuru will too, but for me that initial impression is a big point, not because first impressions but like now, i don't like Kukuru because this personality switch from last week, if this is a one off and she goes back to being how she was before, it would take weeks until i can trust it was just a "one off" episode/bad day sort of thing. Point being 1 episode of bad = several episodes of good for me to trust liking said character.
Though Minko's reasoning is legit, we don't learn this initially meaning she just comes across as having a attitude problem, she equally doesn't make her issue apparent other than hating Ohana (partly because she is jealous of her and Tohru having a crush on her) for what seems to be no reason. Though i challenge her initial thing anyway, Ohana certain being the more energetic type did stand out in the Inn, I don't think "lack of respect" was fair, she was thrown into a new environment and didn't know how things work, not to say you wouldn't respect anything but Minko was pretty stingy on the pettiest of things without explaining why... actually i even more back my comparison now, its just like Kukuru and the Penguins, she got mad because Fuuka didn't know how to feed them without prior knowledge.
Though i guess when we consider personalities, even Nako had a pretty dislikeable first impression (I love i can recall all these characters by name without even checking despite it being some years, sign of a good series right there!) as she put up the walls against Ohana.

Yes! I thought the same thing.
I'm actually kind of glad you confirmed this, I was starting to think i had misunderstood or not seen something properly as this scene clearly (to me) worded her departure as a personal choice and with episode 2, being fired isn't a choice... which made me think either this really conflicts with that scene or else I didn't follow something... so yeah glad to know it wasn't just my brain giving up on me!

YES!!!

I think the idea is that Former Idol ruined her own career, even if Kohaidol provided her the opportunity to screw herself over.
True i suppose, but the ultimate reality is, the other girl essentially stole her position. It's like you taking a paid leave holiday for a week from work to return to find someone has replaced you... okay it's not the exact same as your entitled to leave but the point being, they get someone to cover you, who turns out to be better at your job so they say "things ain't working out". I know that comparison is iffy but hopefully the point is delivered.
I suppose my annoyance here comes from i really hate this setup in TV, sure its just a backstory for Fuuka but it always annoys me seeing someone give another a opportunity to have it bite them right back.
So yeah Kohaidol didn't steal her job but i still see it as she stole her work. Like surely she could decline offers to let Fuuka return, which yes i am aware sounds dumb, point being i don't believe she is truly upset at all.
Fuuks gave her a chance to shine, it paid of for Kohaidol and she reaped all the profit without remembering who put her there. Her tears felt like them you might shed for a co-worker leaving, it's a sad moment but you will move on by the next working day... not that I could understand why one would cry for a co-worker but its the same story, they are in rights, just that, colleagues of one another (in a sense).

Well, she does feel guilty. That's why she ran out to see her all full of tears.
See above, not buying it!

Again, I think it's less her personality than it is the bad writing.
Though maybe that's a distinction that doesn't really matter, here.
I like to believe she is as she was in episode one, clueless to her teachers rants, drawing doodles of sea life and making her reports on such things, basically a happy bundle of aquatic joy, but we will see. As said, it could be dispelled from now, i assume the idea of Fuuka opening up so soon to her and her being territorial over them jerks and both forms to make Aqua girl see Fuuka as a friend instead of a stranger. Basically it just did it the wrong way around. Befriend first then work there would of made more sense. But if this is the case and they return to a happier mood i will be all cheers again.
I'm not really looking for logic in the show, but if it doesn't offer me characters to like, i will be forced to do as such. Logically, shows like Yurucamp or Biyori would have many issues but we overlook anything odd because the characters are so loveable and its not meant to be taken seriously, just like here, I can overlook minor issues (as long as it's not too stupid) IF it delivers on characters.
Thus we come full circle to Kukuru this episode.
I hope now they have opened up, bonding can begin... no better place to bond than the beach, right? right? Invite friend-kun, udon-chan, foretune lady and tourist lass and we have a beach party!!!

But, yeah, he should totally go for Udon-chan, instead.
Honestly i didn't really notice much of her. Not in the fact she was only around for 2 minutes but more i only guessed who she was because... that nickname and i just didn't notice much of her otherwise. Not to say she is good or bad, basically, i just don't have a opinion yet.

This episode mostly tried to get away with lampshading the easiness ("You'll just let anyone stay here, huh, Grandpa?") rather than work the character explanations for it.
It would probably don't its self a favour here by having the two become friends sooner, i get this leaves Fuuka homeless but equally, It would probably give more reason for them to take her in if they think she doesn't have a home... maybe not tell them she is essentially a runaway though.

Even with magic thought sharks
This would of tied well into shark week... what, no one else cares about sharks? damn i have issues i know, i just like sea life!!!

does Former Idol care about earning money? does Aqua Girl care at all about how to run her business?
Former question - no, probably not.
Latter question - no, probably not.
I mean, i think the "earning money" part of idol is the minor detail, i doubt the show has focused on her earning cash over just working there. Like Sakura Question, we don't really see much in the lines of "pay" happen. Hanasaku did this better as Ohana did earn money and the made this a part of the series (minor though) that her increased effort was reflected in her higher pay. Point being, I think its just setup in the idea that she is just working for a change of pace.. or just to have somewhere to be (live?).
As for Kukuru, She wants the business to work but i doubt she really cares financially. Better explained as she hopes it can make money to survive but her goal its self isn't to make money as in a personal sense. I doubt she is thinking "by 20, we could be pulling in x thousand a day" or whatever. For her i think its just the popularity (in turn, money) that can keep the place alive.
Though with a small town like this, she might struggle.

: if Aqua Girl is utterly desperate for funding to fix the aquarium, how does she have the resources to employ someone new?
This is where i assume Fuuks is working free, staff ain't free. She might get a few thousand yen as a thanks but nothing realistic as a wage.
And yet we had 10 minutes of Aqua Girl berating Former Idol for no reason.
I stick to my guns, we didn't need this either!

I just don't like how they played his inability to deal with girls. I think it would have been funnier if he was, like, unthreateningly a misogynist (kind of a childish "ew, girls" attitude) rather than "afraid" of the feminine types.
I can agree with that. Not sure how to improve him but i didn't enjoy the "can't deal with women" thing, is it a phobia? Is it he just don't like working with them? Is it just a excuse? Seems he is fine being around them, never has issues in the office so... whats his deal?
Still, i hope we get his "lazy" joke here and there (with some originality though), i don't mind him as a sub.

Also: yes, to your point. The whole show was basically the fluffiest de-glamming of voice acting it could be. (Especially when you get the backstory for the manager/brother.)
I honestly remember little about it, I just think it painted a pretty interesting reality of the industry... which i forgot my initial point for brining it up, I think my point was the kid with dying grandma would get the reality check in that series of "suck it up young lady" from her bosses, not certain of course but if i remember the series right (i don't recall much), it was pretty honest that just being a Voice actor (Idol in this case) doesn't make you perfect and the rules don't bend to your needs.

Not quite sure why they didn't just write this one off really, just have a small scene where she says whats happened and have us ask "why did her mother accept her break so easily", it would be pretty crummy but i think her explaining to her mother and her in turn agreeing to leave her for a bit would of shut that story down, even if not in a great way, It would close of the minor issue there, as now we have merely postponed it for a couple of days at best.
Completely agreed. I wonder how they plan to allow Fuuka to stay there. Will the mother just... accept it? That seems the only option, and in that case.. what was the need to postpone it?
As said, later in the show might of work, especially as it would of gave us more time to meet and learn out characters, not just throw Fuuka out to be pecked by penguins before we even learn her name properly.
Yeah actually, a scene like that where she eventually gets help and advice from another of the co-workers we have yet to really know could have been good for their characterization.
It's no worse than some college student taking in a minor and suffocating said minor in her suspiciously large bosom... because stuff happens you know
I personally think that it is a bit worse. Well, not morally of course, but logic wise. If this was a show set in a cafe with a home above it? Sure, no problem. Straight up caretaker of a dormitory? Makes sense. A bakery shop that has a room she can sleep in? Let's do this!

But instead.. she lives IN blue hair girl's room. And blue hair girl offered her a place to sleep completely on her own. Who the hell would just offer a place to sleep in their own room to a stranger when hiring them without even knowing if they NEED the room or not?? (And no, they couldn't have talked she didn't have a place to sleep of screen since she later was suprised to learn Fuuka was a runaway)
Anyone else ever watch the show Girlish Number? It's not a amazing show or anything, pretty average but i think it didn't do so great for a fair few either. Point being the show portrays the tough reality of voice actors jobs, it isn't a idol by any means but it certainly was interesting in the regards to show it isn't all glory and it's pretty stressful as a career to get going...
not sure what relevance that bears to this but reading the statement about telling the girl to suck it up made it flash into my mind.
I actually quite like Girlish Number! GA-HA-HA! I love how unabashedly selfish the mc is without being really portrayed as a bad person or an asshole.

Anyway yes, that show definitely showed a bit of the scummy side of the entertainment industry and it was fairly interesting because of that.

Last edited:
I actually quite like Girlish Number!
I love how unabashedly selfish the mc is
GASP! Me too!!!

Man, we are jiving like crazy, lately. Like, relative to us, I mean.

See above, not buying it!
I see what you mean, but it sounds to me like you're misattributing blame--though, broadly, I agree that the whole thing doesn't sit well.

So...Former Idol and Kohaidol were two of three girls up for promotion in their group. Each was assigned a day to be the center, with Kohaidol's day being inconvenient to her because of her grandmother. Former Idol overhears this and asks to let Kohaidol go first (instead of her). The producers then take this to be a sign of weakness in a field that can get replacement girls by the dozen at the drop of a hat. So the producers (for all intents and purposes) cut her loose.

Now, presumably, either Former Idol was suuuuuuuper-polite about why she wanted to switch, not mentioning the thing about inadvertently overhearing Kohaidol's pleas about her grandmother (heaven forbid!), which was taken as a sign that she wasn't hungry enough--OR--her willingness to not be totally opportunist about it was taken as a bad sign regardless of whatever she said about any of it.

Anyway, Kohaidol gets picked and the producers become disenchanted with Former Idol. And, whatever else happens, Kohaidol has zero sway over any of it. Because idols are products, not talent.

HAVING SAID THAT...I don't think the show did a good job of making any of this seem believable, of course, though I can sort of see the logic of it. Which, as I've said above, is very much in keeping with how this show is written.

I mean...was Kohaidol's plea to move her day seen as a bonus quality? That she clearly had the passion they were looking for? That lady she was asking didn't seem happy that she was asking.

I think my point was the kid with dying grandma would get the reality check in that series of "suck it up young lady" from her bosses
it was pretty honest that just being a Voice actor (Idol in this case) doesn't make you perfect and the rules don't bend to your needs.
Yes. And yes. The missing pieces to the story loom larger than I think the writers assumed they would. (Shoulda kept it vague, guys. There's power in not knowing, sometimes.)

Which goes back to @Nekus's point that the big flaw in Former Idol is that she's "too nice to people." It's like those job interview answers where someone says their biggest negative is that they are too dedicated to being a good employee. No, see, that's not a flaw unless you push it to become a flaw. Is Former idol needlessly selfless? Then that's fine. That's definitely a decent character flaw. But she's not treated as being an idiot but as a nice person the system wouldn't let be nice. Which, yes, would be what happens, but she doesn't react to that whole thing like someone who's needlessly selfless.

You saw Ohana, right?
Yes. And she's great.

But she's no Minko. (Who they unfortunately sort of sideline as soon as she and Ohana become friendly.)

Also: obviously you'd like Ohana best--and obviously I'd like Minko best. I don't think this surprises either of us.

Though Minko's reasoning is legit, we don't learn this initially meaning she just comes across as having a attitude problem, she equally doesn't make her issue apparent other than hating Ohana (partly because she is jealous of her and Tohru having a crush on her) for what seems to be no reason.
I'll be honest: I don't clearly recall all the details, because it's been, like, 5 years since I watched it. But I didn't think her distaste for Ohana needed explanation off the bat when it was clear that she simply didn't like her. (With the crush issue exacerbating the natural enmity between them.) Ohana was an interloper, even from the start, so Minko had no reason to be nice other than it being a thing people do. Minko was far too serious in her narrow focus to allow disruption, let alone disruption that was so antithetical to her passions.

The difference, I think--and I'm not say you should have loved Minko immediately or anything--is that you can see why Minko is (generally, at least) unable to mesh with Ohana without there being any explanatory details. Whereas Aqua Girl's behavior could be understandable if her anger was better rooted in the story. Sure, it's because she screwed up and didn't teach Former Idol anything...but no one acknowledges that this is the problem. She's just given a pass because she's stressed that the aquarium might close down.

i don't like Kukuru because this personality switch from last week
I wonder, though, if you would be more forgiving of it if the turn seemed to fully exist in the world of the story. As in, do you think you'd be able to put it aside right away if she had said, "I wasn't thinking...how could I blame you for not knowing what you couldn't possibly know?"

Because it's only really a switch in her personality (rather than just the character being mean) because it seems like there's nothing prompting it, right?

no better place to bond than the beach, right? right? Invite friend-kun, udon-chan, foretune lady and tourist lass and we have a beach party!!!
It might be the only reason I'm still watching the time travel show: the promise of Professor Hottie at the beach.

...and this show takes place literally at a seashore, so...maybe I will stick around for a little while.

It would probably give more reason for them to take her in if they think she doesn't have a home... maybe not tell them she is essentially a runaway though.
Yet more evidence for your (and our) desire to have there be more character interaction between our two leads before jumping into the first "conflict" in their relationship.

Honestly i didn't really notice much of her.
Good. Then that means she's mine!

...as are her mother and Tourism-chan.

[looks for doujin artist patreons]

Point being, I think its just setup in the idea that she is just working for a change of pace.. or just to have somewhere to be (live?).
Which is fine. As is Aqua Girl's inability to run a business properly.

...if these things actually tell us about the characters and aren't, instead, seemingly ignored.

i have issues i know, i just like sea life!!!
Nothing wrong with that.

I mean...assuming you mean you enjoy it, rather than...look, we've all read things.
My experience with sea creatures is...varied. As I once sort-of outlined in another thread. If you didn't know. Or if you care to waste time reading.

But instead.. she lives IN blue hair girl's room.
Just a great point I want to highlight.

Kukuru can F right off, her attitude stinks! Look i get the whole "she is under pressure" and sure, fine but for a girl who literally just started to be feeding penguins is bad enough but with no training? No practise run? No nothing! She just told her to stand there, forgot the part where they would peck her hand off for more, didn't she? I know it ain't reality but in the real world, that could result in a serious law case. This wouldn't of bothered me so much but her attitude after, no checking her wounds, nope, just rage ramble about "if you had hurt a animal", and she wonders why no one wants to work there? Again, i get she is under pressure but that's no excuse for her own failures. It isn't Idol-chans fault you suck as a leader is it?

I disagree. At least to part of it. I don't think she necessarily had a bad attitude as some people are pointing out. Sure she is just as much at fault for what happened as Fuuka is, and probably came off as harsh, but it is not like it is something she was prepared for fully either I am guessing. She is more or less it seems like, in charge of a dying aquarium, that is apparently run down and in dire need of funds, but by her own words only just put in charge and for the summer. Her grandfather is the one who apparently is the director and from the way it sounds he is giving up on it all and willing to let it go... she is not, and he has just sort of let her run with it I am presuming until we find out more. Is she suited to be the leader? Maybe not, at least not yet... but tough... it is all anyone has. As I said before in another post, I am willing to give her a pass since I can imagine she is struggling just as much, and I don't expect her to get it all correct out of the gate. It sounds to me like this will be a situation where you (she) learn(s) as you (she) go(es), with no direct training and a lot of hard lessons. She is going to make some mistakes just like Fuuka is, probably some messy ones, and I am not ready to crucify her and grab the cooler of hate-o-rade to dump all over her yet. This will be her journey as much as Fuukas. Fuuka has to find herself, Kukuru has to find what it takes to save the aquarium and become a real leader I am guessing, or at least that is what I am taking for it.

Or is this going to be one of those arguments where one person is allowed to make mistakes and learn from them, but the other isn't?

I mean, there are probably a ton of people watching thinking "What a dumb ass Fuuka is, all she had to do is feed the damn fish to the damn bird and do what she was told, how hard can it be? I've watched Animal Planet before, that shit is easy. But I already covered this in an above post. My point is, working at an aquarium is probably hard as hell on your first few days/weeks, so is running one I imagine. Moreso when you may not have

no training? No practise run?

Just to slide in here, i have seen several of these "feeding time shows" before with dolphins, seals, penguins ect, and I think they always wear a glove on the feeding hand, if i recall correctly they say things like seals which will eat from your hand have very sharp teeth so being careful is pretty much assured, oh and if i recall correctly, normally they don't let any new staff feed them publicly until the animal trusts the feeder, penguins i think was the example as they are usually pretty friendly but can be aggressive with new faces, not so much as they would eat them like these ones but you can train them to wait and not dive for the food...

Yes, gloves would have been better for training I think, but who knows? Maybe this aquarium is against them for the reason I mentioned in another post, maybe they don't have any on-site, maybe Kukuru just did not think it would be that difficult, maybe Fuuka turned some down off-screen? I have no idea and at the end of the day, I doubt they would have helped that much in the grand scheme of things, she still would have panicked and gotten some nasty welts from their beaks unless she was wearing oven mitts or something. And I agree that new staff is never allowed to feed animals so early... if we are talking about real Aquariums, with real staffing, real rules and real safety precautions that are followed in place. Call it a hunch, but I doubt Gama Gama qualifies as any of that.

Where I fully disagree with your take is your assertion that her being impulsive somehow precludes her from being selfish and short-sighted...which is what it means to be impulsive

Well of course she is being short-sighted and even selfish to a point, it was not my intent to suggest that was not the case. What I was mainly addressing was this statement.

But it has to be necessary, in some sense, to the progression of the story. In this case, it's a detail that tells us how desperate and ashamed and frustrated she is--which is great. But it also tells us that she's selfish and short-sighted. Which is especially odd, given that she just sacrificed her career--unnecessarily--for her bandmate AND just volunteered to help save the aquarium for people she doesn't know.

You declared it "odd" as if she could not be both at the same time. My assertion is that it does further the story, in the sense that she just went through a situation that both sacrificed her career and sabotaged her future dreams, and yet can still move forward finding a new purpose in life by helping at this place at this time. As I said in an earlier post, I firmly believe that she is not just doing this out of the kindness of her soul but because, although she does want to help the aquarium and help Kukuru with her dream, she wants to find her purpose and discover a new dream. Sure it is not explicitly stated and can be implied in a sense... but it is only episode 2, we still have a long way to go with these characters and their motivations. In my opinion, it furthers the story a whole lot more this way, than her taking a "What's in it for me?" stance. Which I get a subtle impression some people are either suggesting works better or is somehow a mistake of bad writing for not being the road taken. We can all deviate back and forth from impulsiveness to judicious and from selfish to selfless depending on any number of factors spanning just moments apart.

I'd compare it to Aqua Girl and her berating of Former Idol for not knowing how to handle the penguin feeding. That it happened and that it is prompted by the stress of the aquarium being on the brink of shutting down is all fine...but it's all superficially done. Someone comes in, turns to the camera, and says, "Oh, she was being a dick because of stress." And then the problem just goes away. And Aqua Girl never has to deal with her terrible decisions. Former Idol never holds it against her. And the show just acts like it didn't happen.

I've already covered Kukuru's "behavior" so I'll skip that (or will I?). How do you know the problem just "went away?" How do you know Kukuru won't have to deal with her "terrible decisions"? Bolding because it was worded like she just released bio-toxins into the town water supply instead of participating in a bad showing at the local aquarium that neither of them was prepared for. I mean Fuuka could have spoken up more and asked for more guidance, I don't think any of this was done at gunpoint. It is only episode 2, and both characters still have a lot of growing and self-discovery to go. I am sure there will still be a lot of stress both for each of them and between them. Kukuru still has her back against a wall and no guidebook on what to do, how to act, and what will and won't work. Fuuka is still figuring out who she is, what she wants, and is now muddling through how to work at an aquarium on top of it.

I think these two characters will be great together, but I actually value the conflict that is here. I personally feel it is that strife that will build trust between them, and form a real connection built upon real emotions, real struggles, and real problems they have to overcome both individually and together.

All of this being said, I feel we are looking at the show through different lenses based upon individual viewpoints based upon personal perceptions of what does and does not work. At this point, we are beating a dead horse for different reasons, but beating it nonetheless.

I disagree. At least to part of it. I don't think she necessarily had a bad attitude as some people are pointing out. Sure she is just as much at fault for what happened as Fuuka is, and probably came off as harsh, but it is not like it is something she was prepared for fully either I am guessing. She is more or less it seems like, in charge of a dying aquarium, that is apparently run down and in dire need of funds, but by her own words only just put in charge and for the summer. Her grandfather is the one who apparently is the director and from the way it sounds he is giving up on it all and willing to let it go... she is not, and he has just sort of let her run with it I am presuming until we find out more. Is she suited to be the leader? Maybe not, at least not yet... but tough... it is all anyone has. As I said before in another post, I am willing to give her a pass since I can imagine she is struggling just as much, and I don't expect her to get it all correct out of the gate. It sounds to me like this will be a situation where you (she) learn(s) as you (she) go(es), with no direct training and a lot of hard lessons. She is going to make some mistakes just like Fuuka is, probably some messy ones, and I am not ready to crucify her and grab the cooler of hate-o-rade to dump all over her yet. This will be her journey as much as Fuukas. Fuuka has to find herself, Kukuru has to find what it takes to save the aquarium and become a real leader I am guessing, or at least that is what I am taking for it.

Or is this going to be one of those arguments where one person is allowed to make mistakes and learn from them, but the other isn't?

I mean, there are probably a ton of people watching thinking "What a dumb ass Fuuka is, all she had to do is feed the damn fish to the damn bird and do what she was told, how hard can it be? I've watched Animal Planet before, that shit is easy. But I already covered this in an above post. My point is, working at an aquarium is probably hard as hell on your first few days/weeks, so is running one I imagine. Moreso when you may not have

Yes, gloves would have been better for training I think, but who knows? Maybe this aquarium is against them for the reason I mentioned in another post, maybe they don't have any on-site, maybe Kukuru just did not think it would be that difficult, maybe Fuuka turned some down off-screen? I have no idea and at the end of the day, I doubt they would have helped that much in the grand scheme of things, she still would have panicked and gotten some nasty welts from their beaks unless she was wearing oven mitts or something. And I agree that new staff is never allowed to feed animals so early... if we are talking about real Aquariums, with real staffing, real rules and real safety precautions that are followed in place. Call it a hunch, but I doubt Gama Gama qualifies as any of that.

Well of course she is being short-sighted and even selfish to a point, it was not my intent to suggest that was not the case. What I was mainly addressing was this statement.

You declared it "odd" as if she could not be both at the same time. My assertion is that it does further the story, in the sense that she just went through a situation that both sacrificed her career and sabotaged her future dreams, and yet can still move forward finding a new purpose in life by helping at this place at this time. As I said in an earlier post, I firmly believe that she is not just doing this out of the kindness of her soul but because, although she does want to help the aquarium and help Kukuru with her dream, she wants to find her purpose and discover a new dream. Sure it is not explicitly stated and can be implied in a sense... but it is only episode 2, we still have a long way to go with these characters and their motivations. In my opinion, it furthers the story a whole lot more this way, than her taking a "What's in it for me?" stance. Which I get a subtle impression some people are either suggesting works better or is somehow a mistake of bad writing for not being the road taken. We can all deviate back and forth from impulsiveness to judicious and from selfish to selfless depending on any number of factors spanning just moments apart.

I've already covered Kukuru's "behavior" so I'll skip that (or will I?). How do you know the problem just "went away?" How do you know Kukuru won't have to deal with her "terrible decisions"? Bolding because it was worded like she just released bio-toxins into the town water supply instead of participating in a bad showing at the local aquarium that neither of them was prepared for. I mean Fuuka could have spoken up more and asked for more guidance, I don't think any of this was done at gunpoint. It is only episode 2, and both characters still have a lot of growing and self-discovery to go. I am sure there will still be a lot of stress both for each of them and between them. Kukuru still has her back against a wall and no guidebook on what to do, how to act, and what will and won't work. Fuuka is still figuring out who she is, what she wants, and is now muddling through how to work at an aquarium on top of it.

I think these two characters will be great together, but I actually value the conflict that is here. I personally feel it is that strife that will build trust between them, and form a real connection built upon real emotions, real struggles, and real problems they have to overcome both individually and together.

All of this being said, I feel we are looking at the show through different lenses based upon individual viewpoints based upon personal perceptions of what does and does not work. At this point, we are beating a dead horse for different reasons, but beating it nonetheless.

I agree with you. I'm also getting tired of all the hate. No one has to like it, of course, but it's disheartening to see repeated character bashing on a thread about a show I am enjoying quite a bit. If you hate it that much, I would just drop it and forget about it and let the fans enjoy it. There's a reason I don't spend all my time complaining about anime I don't/wouldn't like (other than one post about why I dropped) because it's a disservice to the fans and personally a waste of my time, when I could be actually enjoying myself.

How do you know the problem just "went away?"
Because I watched the episode and, insofar as this episode is concerned, it absolutely did just go away: Aqua Girl neither apologizes for, explains, nor in any way acknowledges her mistreatment of Former Idol.

Tourism-chan tells her Aqua Girl is under stress, but that's as close as we get to the problem even being addressed as a problem--and it's all framed as Former Idol screwing up rather than Aqua Girl being the reason she screwed up. Indeed, the two instances of the girls interacting after the penguin incident are: 1) Former Idol apologizing and Aqua Girl putting on a show as though she's mad at her and then giving her an approving grin about spraying those guys with water; and 2) Former Idol praising Aqua Girl for having a dream, with Aqua Girl benevolently agreeing to let her help achieve it.

Now, might this inability to manage her staff come back and be addressed later? Sure. (In fact, it really ought to, considering she still hasn't trained Former Idol). But it disappeared from the story IMMEDIATELY after it made its first appearance. Which--narratively--is a problem.

That said...it could be fine if Aqua Girl doesn't acknowledge it, because we can maybe assume it's a character flaw in her. Heck, the same can even be said, I guess, for Former Idol ignoring Aqua Girl's fault in the matter because it too could be taken as a character flaw (in Former Idol).

But the episode itself brushes off the behavior when we see Tourism-chan tell Former Idol to cut Aqua Girl some slack because she's under stress. Which--again, narratively--is a problem. A major problem, actually, which seems to be endemic of the storytelling, to this point: character things happen in bubbles for plot reasons.

So, unless this is a massively long-term character arc setup where this is going to build and build and build until Aqua Girl's abuse of the too-accepting Former Idol becomes too much for someone to take (who knows who it would be who finally points it out), I'm pretty sure they just waved this away.

I mean Fuuka could have spoken up more and asked for more guidance, I don't think any of this was done at gunpoint.
Agreed. And I'm not suggesting Aqua Girl is the only one who made a mistake. But, of the two, the mistake worth addressing immediately is Aqua Girl's failure to give Former Idol even a modicum of instruction before screaming at her lack of information. (It started with the nail polish and then just kept going. It wasn't just the penguin thing.)

Again, my issue is not that these things happened but that they don't feel organic in their execution, even if they are beats that can logically spring from what precedes them. Because they feel cut off from their own context.
"And then she's gonna rip into Former Idol."
"Even though she didn't train her?"
"Yup."
"That's great! Oh, what a way to introduce that she's not really able to handle the responsibility she's placed on herself and, thus, open the door for Former Idol to be the piece that allows her to fulfill her dream that she wouldn't have been able to do otherwise!"
"...what?"
"The scene's about Aqua Girl's flaws and how she needs help, right?"
"Is it?"
"Well...why else would you have her yell at Former Idol as though she'd done something wrong, when Aqua Girl is the one who screwed up by not telling her what to do in the first place?"
"Because she's under stress."
"Right, I know. And this is her lashing out."
"Exactly."
"But...are we going to have a scene where we talk about what she did wrong?"
"Who? Former Idol?"
"No, Aqua Girl."
"But Former Idol is the one who had nail polish on."
"But she was never told that she shouldn't."
"And?"
"What do you mean 'and'? Why are we doing this scene if not to highlight a flaw in Aqua Girl's character and, as a result, show why it's so important that Former Idol has entered her life at this moment?"
"I just want to show that Aqua Girl is stressed out. Wouldn't she yell at Former Idol is she was stressed out?"
"Yes, but...it's not just that she's expecting Former Idol to be better at something she's new to--which she would absolutely do as a result of temper-shortening stress--she's expecting her to be better at something she was never told BY AQUA GIRL how to do to begin with."
"I don't think you understand: she's stressed out."
"..."
"Anyway, after that, Former Idol will apologize for not being good enough, and Aqua Girl will let Former Idol commit to helping Aqua Girl achieve her dream."

You declared it "odd" as if she could not be both at the same time.
She can be, of course, but it's not a decision that contradicts the other with a narrative purpose. It just...happens. Irrespective of the other parts.

I don't mean to say that she can't have contradictions, but the contradictions can't exist in their own bubbles.

That she ditches her family's welcome home makes perfect sense, both logically and emotionally. That she throws herself into some random aquarium as a way to have an excuse not to face her recent misfortunes and give herself a new purpose (real or otherwise) makes perfect sense, both logically and emotionally.

That she would act as though her family's palpable distress at her sudden disappearance is not a big deal does not make sense--neither logically nor emotionally--given not only what we've seen of her but how the show seems to want to portray her. It doesn't add a layer to her character, it muddies it. And I don't mean that it makes her seem less "good guy"-ish but that it seems out of step, making her harder to understand if we assume this is all meant to be in some fashion consistent.

The girl who was willing to risk (and ultimately lose) her dream for the sake of a friend(?) should be horrified at how upset her family is, even as she actively chooses to stay in Okinawa. She should be trying everything she can to mitigate that distress while also trying to preserve the little safety blanket she's weaving herself by staying in this town.

Now, if her mother was just annoyed, for example, that she had called to detour to a friend's house (wink) and was repeatedly avoiding discussion of when exactly she was coming home (particularly since she was supposed to come home days ago), then this port of putting off of dealing with it would make sense because it's sort of a nuisance, even if it is serious. But she's treating her family's rightful fear for her safety as though it's something she can just put off for a bit longer, like it's a lecture about staying out too late and not potentially traumatic for them.

just drop it and forget about it
Similarly, you could just ignore the discussion. Or, barring that, counter the criticism. Or do both by just saying all the things you love about it while not acknowledging the posts you don't like because who cares what anyone else thinks--especially if you think those opinions are a waste of space.

...since we're listing things we can do and all.

For my part, I want this series to do well. And I'm certainly not looking to force anyone to stop liking what they like.

But I won't ever gloss over things I think don't work, especially when I think it's a fundamental failing rather than a quirk of the series.

tenor.gif

Will the mother just... accept it? That seems the only option, and in that case.. what was the need to postpone it?
I assume she will, which will then make your point pretty fair, why extend it to just agree anyway, i think @interregnum (correct me if I'm wrong) said about it just making her be open and explain to her mothers the details, i could be wrong but sure someone said it, regardless, This would at the least solve the issue earlier.

But instead.. she lives IN blue hair girl's room.
Haha this was weird actually, Don't get me wrong, i seen plenty of shows where someone moves into the same room but a complete stranger you met that day, not quite sure i would be too happy to have them sleeping just a few feet away from you.

I actually quite like Girlish Number! GA-HA-HA! I love how unabashedly selfish the mc is without being really portrayed as a bad person or an asshole.
GASP! Me too!!!
Just wanna hop in and say number three here, i mean i still think the show is pretty average (which isn't bad in its self) but i did really enjoy MC... for the reasons listed, selfish characters don't normally click with me but as you say, she was never really a bad person, which kind of balanced out and worked really well.
Also: obviously you'd like Ohana best--and obviously I'd like Minko best. I don't think this surprises either of us.
Actually it doesn't! When i wrote that i though to myself that if you had seen the show you would probably prefer Minko, though i admit i thought you wouldn't have much good to say about Ohana so i will take "she's great" in it's glory.
Actually that's the fun this show fails to achieve though, we clearly have very different taste in which characters we rank better and whilst our show taste seem aligned to some degree (swaying away at some genre, of course), we can usually find our individual taste don't stop appreciating a good story, Ohana and Minko being fine examples, they are pretty different and we like each one respectively, yet we can both appreciate what the other one brings to the show. Man i want more of these quality shows around.

Kukuru here really doesn't offer that, same for Fuka. Now don't get me wrong, I'm pretty fair to stuff, i accept it's only episode... 3? 2? I forgot! But it's early, i can be forgiving, for now!
The difference, I think--and I'm not say you should have loved Minko immediately or anything--is that you can see why Minko is (generally, at least) unable to mesh with Ohana without there being any explanatory details. Whereas Aqua Girl's behavior could be understandable if her anger was better rooted in the story. Sure, it's because she screwed up and didn't teach Former Idol anything...but no one acknowledges that this is the problem. She's just given a pass because she's stressed that the aquarium might close down.
YES!!! This!!!
As you say, Minko and Ohana just aren't compatible (even as friends, they clash, a lot) and whilst this doesn't paint the best image to Minko, we clearly see reasons why, heck the attention Tohru gives Ohana from the start, well as you say, it only furthers her distaste, which even before we know Minko likes the guy, it's obvious she doesn't like him giving Ohana attention.
anyway, that side, as you say, this is not the same here, Kukuru has no rooted anger, there is no visible reasoning outside the pressure of closing which is technically explained after even at that, she doesn't even take blame for herself, whilst it wouldn't cure the issue, at least admitting she was wrong would of been a step closer to a solution. I can't pass the place closing being a free-pass to behave this way.

As in, do you think you'd be able to put it aside right away if she had said, "I wasn't thinking...how could I blame you for not knowing what you couldn't possibly know?"
No.
It would certainly help but I'm the sort who thinks when arguments get heated, people say what they feel deep down, sometimes revealing a shadow we didn't know existed. Basically, If she had admitted her own wrong doing too, i would certainly of been more forgiving but not a free pass. Lets say she was super cheery for the rest of the show (as a example), depending on how she behaves and her actions, it might take lets say, 4-5 episodes of that attitude to get me possibly giving her another chance, this is in the instance of her current rage tantrum with no fault take of her own, if she was upset but then apologised accepting it was in large part her own fault for throwing her in the deep end with 0 training or even some quick tips or warning, i might potentially cut the 4-5 to 3 or even 2 depending. Obviously i don't have a chart of ranking for this but the above is just trying to explain, her apologising and admitting she was equally wrong would go a long way but it wouldn't void the rift in my own head because i still feel it's her mistake to begin with. Obviously these things can't be measured and equally, the odds are we wont have episodes of pure positive behaviour (which is fine), i don't expect Kukuru to be perfect, no one is, i just want her to realise her attitude was out of order and she was in the wrong for expecting a newbie to know this stuff. It wouldn't solve my internal conflict but it would do wonders for restoring my faith.
This is obviously all just my personal thoughts and how i weigh characters in my head. Nothing factual, just my character opinion chart. Because it being so early this issue appeared, it hasn't helped as most character opinions are all pretty neutral for now as we don't know them much yet.

It might be the only reason I'm still watching the time travel show: the promise of Professor Hottie at the beach.
Wait... what show is this!!!

...and this show takes place literally at a seashore, so...maybe I will stick around for a little while.
If this doesn't happen, I'm going on strike... I'm aware how logically that make 0 sense, and I'm okay with that!

...as are her mother and Tourism-chan.
did... did you just claim 3 in 1?

As is Aqua Girl's inability to run a business properly
She is pretty good at doing this... this bears nothing more, i just wanted to snap the opportunity to laugh.

.assuming you mean you enjoy it, rather than...look, we've all read things.
I assure you, i meant the normal form of enjoying lol, but fair enough for the concern!

My experience with sea creatures is...varied. As I once sort-of outlined in another thread. If you didn't know. Or if you care to waste time reading.
This actually made me laugh (I'm sorry!!), but i get your point all the same.

This thread makes me post a lot
Sure she is just as much at fault for what happened as Fuuka is, and probably came off as harsh, but it is not like it is something she was prepared for fully either I am guessing.
I understand your point, I have a few issues with the setup though:
i) Firstly, its a personal one and i accept this isn't anything but that and likely a rash judgement i made incorrectly but it was sad seeing her get so angry after seeing her so cheery. I grouped her with a positive character and this scene really scorned that view. Again that's just my person taste and possible early misjudgement at play, it just was personally sad to see.
ii) I would of been more willing to let her off if she took responsibility. As-in she admitted she was at fault too for sending her straight out there, as mentioned above, i wouldn't free-pass her but i would certainly been more understanding if she apologised after get so angry and admitted she pushed her too soon to do a job. I accept she wouldn't know about training and running a business but she must know to some degree she was partly responsible for this. Accepting Fuuka wasn't 100% at fault would of been nice to see. Again Fuuka isn't on a free pass either, just I would be pretty angry if i was her starting this job and that was my first day is my point, i would of (like everyone says) argued you wasn't trained for it.
iii) I accept Fuka has some huge amount of pressure, i get the place is a failing business and its current owner is happy to let it go, I appreciate she has a personal attachment and doesn't want to let it sink, this is fine, it's actually as you say, commendable, i equally accept she has a lot on her plate, she doesn't know how to run a business and doesn't have the staff or skill to make it work, never mind the business failing is a problem which was present before her anyway, likely due to the town probably not being a big tourist location and Aquariums probably don't generate much from repeat custom from the locals, as they don't change much. So i appreciate her situation sucks but she let her feelings go too loosely.

and I am not ready to crucify her and grab the cooler of hate-o-rade to dump all over her yet. This will be her journey as much as Fuukas.
I don't disagree. Heck i want her to pull through. I probably made it clear in my first post on episode one but i love slow paced slice of life shows, which usually don't take too many drama/dark turns, the genre is pretty perky all things considered, and that's my thing so i most certainly want to see them make it work, i hope Fuka brings something to the table which Kukuru never thought of and i of course hope Kukuru finds her place as a true leader and takes over the place. I certainly don't want to hate on anyone (lets make that clear), I watch the show for a chilled out feel, which is partly why i was so shocked or sad to see her fly off. I am cheering her on that now they have opened up a little more (and had a welcoming party) that the two begin working better together, both as friends and co-workers. I said above but i want this show to be amazing, not to hate it, 24 episodes of this (done right) is my idea of heaven!
Of course i accept there will be problems on the way, Fuka and Kukuru will mess up, i just want to see them work together to solve these instead of someone taking the moral high ground.
This could be a person thing but i see it happen at work, someone messes up and people get on their case about it but that solves nothing. Sure you can and should get mad but instead of making them feel useless, teach them, no just once or twice but as many times as it takes. I dislike leading teams but the few times i do end up in the situation, i find instead of belittling, helping them understand the issue and how we could avoid it works better than 20 minutes of them feeling useless.
Again that's just a personal thing but it all relates to why i felt her harsh attitude was wrong. That and i wanted her to admit she was wrong.
But i equally respect ones opinions, nothing wrong with you seeing it differently. This is actually why i enjoy these threads, they sometimes can feel heated but i love the way people see things differently. I find most threads i don't agree with the norm but that's cool, i don't agree with people challenging opinions. Heck, Fuka could murder the whole town and if someone said they was fine with it because it was funny, that's their opinion, not my place to change their mind, we all enjoy our own thing.
But yeah, point being i do want to love this one, it's got potential and for me, I'm hoping a small slip-up (for me) is all this was and we have some fun times ahead, i want to see them work this one out, together!
I'm also getting tired of all the hate. No one has to like it, of course, but it's disheartening to see repeated character bashing on a thread about a show I am enjoying quite a bit. If you hate it that much, I would just drop it and forget about it and let the fans enjoy it. There's a reason I don't spend all my time complaining about anime I don't/wouldn't like (other than one post about why I dropped) because it's a disservice to the fans and personally a waste of my time, when I could be actually enjoying myself.

Not really sure who the comment is directed at but i make clear in most my posts i like(d?) Kukuru a lot before her scene here and more over, i want to like both her and the show, i feel they both have potential to shine, the merely destain being addressed her way at the moment is mostly due to the general average seeing her reaction unfair and out of line, which is a opinion, all are entitled to. It doesn't instantly mean we hate a show to point out faults. I actually list a lot of things i love too. Faults obviously more often than not create more talking points.
I very much agree with not watching something you don't enjoy but not giving a show a chance is equally fair to challenge, all shows deserve at least 3 episodes to give everyone a idea if its their thing.
Anyway, i can't speak for others (and maybe this wasn't directed my way(?) but As said, i want this show to be great, i love the genre and personally think the setting is great, I see potential here, i just don't think it's fair to over look a lot of faults too.
Honestly, my favourite shows will have me pointing out faults with them, heck my all time favourite has its fair share of them. I will likely over look most small ones here once we get going, it's just some stand out because I personally didn't enjoy Kukuru's rage, which is a personal opinion, if you think she was in her rights, that's fine, i just happen to disagree.
I don't hate her by any means, i quite the opposite, want to like her.
As said, i personally want this show to be great, it's a rare chance to give a slice of life not only a good setting (both location by the sea but in a Aquarium) but 24 episodes, It might be amazing, I certainly want it to be, nothing would please me more than chilling out to a good episode each week. I of course understand this is probably just me ranting, maybe I took this out of context or whatever, i just don't want people to misunderstand, i usually sign my episode review post of with my enjoyment factor which i believe this week was still "enjoying it", just upset with the 180 on Kukuru, which hopefully is just a one off or a example of me getting ahead and deciding her personality before she got to show it me.

This whole quote skit you put up was pretty funny, i didn't quote it all to save space but i got a laugh from it.Mostly as its a fair representation of things. The nail polish is a fair issue, she was never told prior not to wear it, some could argue it's common knowledge but... says who? Of course this isn't Kukuru's fault, she probably didn't notice it until then but... it's the way she approaches it, as Fuka should of known to begin with, as if it was, oh you know, explained before hand?
Again i wouldn't have a issue if she wasn't so harsh, she could of just told her to remove it quickly as its not hygienic for feeding live animals or the job in general whilst offering a full explanation later (off-screen or not). Instead we got abuse making Fuka look stupid.
Again this isn't hate on Kukuru but... this whole scene from nails to penguins just made her out to be someone else really.

she can to mitigate that distress while also trying to preserve the little safety blanket she's weaving herself by staying in this town.
I said above but i feel the simple solution to this is just... explaining herself. It doesn't sound fun but if she was honest with her mother, just explained she couldn't face a "pity party" which celebrates her leaving as a decision over her being firing by force and mitigates her dream into "your making the right choice", So she bailed, she is safe in a town staying with a friend etc *insert current events here*. Whilst it's not fun, this would remove the story, her mum saying "fine" would literally close this arc. Again, i said before, this isn't ideal but it would end the concern of the two sides. Her parents know she is safe and she doesn't have to worry that others are concerned for her.

Or do both by just saying all the things you love about it while not acknowledging the posts you don't like because who cares what anyone else thinks--especially if you think those opinions are a waste of space.
Yup. I actually post in many threads when i enjoy a show others don't, If i just think the opinions offer me nothing to discuss, i just post my thoughts. Heck, even if i accept my own reasoning is weak, it is what it is. Remember, you can like something for the sake of liking it, logically i might hate action thrillers (I don't), yet i could encounter one i love, i might not be able to explain what makes it different but, why does that matter? It's all just opinion, we are all entitled to them. Even a terrible show by the masses can be a good show by a individual.
My point is, don't like anyone sway you opinion, if you don't agree with others or don't see a discussion, just post your thoughts, I am happy to focus on the good elements anyway, in which:
I want this series to do well. And I'm certainly not looking to force anyone to stop liking what they like.
This.

But I won't ever gloss over things I think don't work, especially when I think it's a fundamental failing rather than a quirk of the series.
Funny enough, me and @interregnum watch a fair few of the same stuff, our opinions fluctuate a fair bit from enjoying the same shows to one loving and the other hating, our character picks rarely align but even when we don't agree, we don't force the other to stop enjoying it.

For me, i just enjoy discussing everything the good and the bad are no exceptions.
As said in my episode reviews, i personally like the show, i want it to be a season favourite, but even the best shows have faults. Discussing them is a choice, one i chose to sometimes make.

Because I watched the episode and, insofar as this episode is concerned, it absolutely did just go away: Aqua Girl neither apologizes for, explains, nor in any way acknowledges her mistreatment of Former Idol.

Tourism-chan tells her Aqua Girl is under stress, but that's as close as we get to the problem even being addressed as a problem--and it's all framed as Former Idol screwing up rather than Aqua Girl being the reason she screwed up. Indeed, the two instances of the girls interacting after the penguin incident are: 1) Former Idol apologizing and Aqua Girl putting on a show as though she's mad at her and then giving her an approving grin about spraying those guys with water; and 2) Former Idol praising Aqua Girl for having a dream, with Aqua Girl benevolently agreeing to let her help achieve it.

Now, might this inability to manage her staff come back and be addressed later? Sure. (In fact, it really ought to, considering she still hasn't trained Former Idol). But it disappeared from the story IMMEDIATELY after it made its first appearance. Which--narratively--is a problem.

That said...it could be fine if Aqua Girl doesn't acknowledge it, because we can maybe assume it's a character flaw in her. Heck, the same can even be said, I guess, for Former Idol ignoring Aqua Girl's fault in the matter because it too could be taken as a character flaw (in Former Idol).

But the episode itself brushes off the behavior when we see Tourism-chan tell Former Idol to cut Aqua Girl some slack because she's under stress. Which--again, narratively--is a problem. A major problem, actually, which seems to be endemic of the storytelling, to this point: character things happen in bubbles for plot reasons.

So, unless this is a massively long-term character arc setup where this is going to build and build and build until Aqua Girl's abuse of the too-accepting Former Idol becomes too much for someone to take (who knows who it would be who finally points it out), I'm pretty sure they just waved this away.

Agreed. And I'm not suggesting Aqua Girl is the only one who made a mistake. But, of the two, the mistake worth addressing immediately is Aqua Girl's failure to give Former Idol even a modicum of instruction before screaming at her lack of information. (It started with the nail polish and then just kept going. It wasn't just the penguin thing.)

Again, my issue is not that these things happened but that they don't feel organic in their execution, even if they are beats that can logically spring from what precedes them. Because they feel cut off from their own context.
"And then she's gonna rip into Former Idol."
"Even though she didn't train her?"
"Yup."
"That's great! Oh, what a way to introduce that she's not really able to handle the responsibility she's placed on herself and, thus, open the door for Former Idol to be the piece that allows her to fulfill her dream that she wouldn't have been able to do otherwise!"
"...what?"
"The scene's about Aqua Girl's flaws and how she needs help, right?"
"Is it?"
"Well...why else would you have her yell at Former Idol as though she'd done something wrong, when Aqua Girl is the one who screwed up by not telling her what to do in the first place?"
"Because she's under stress."
"Right, I know. And this is her lashing out."
"Exactly."
"But...are we going to have a scene where we talk about what she did wrong?"
"Who? Former Idol?"
"No, Aqua Girl."
"But Former Idol is the one who had nail polish on."
"But she was never told that she shouldn't."
"And?"
"What do you mean 'and'? Why are we doing this scene if not to highlight a flaw in Aqua Girl's character and, as a result, show why it's so important that Former Idol has entered her life at this moment?"
"I just want to show that Aqua Girl is stressed out. Wouldn't she yell at Former Idol is she was stressed out?"
"Yes, but...it's not just that she's expecting Former Idol to be better at something she's new to--which she would absolutely do as a result of temper-shortening stress--she's expecting her to be better at something she was never told BY AQUA GIRL how to do to begin with."
"..."
"Anyway, after that, Former Idol will apologize for not being good enough, and Aqua Girl will let Former Idol commit to helping Aqua Girl achieve her dream."

She can be, of course, but it's not a decision that contradicts the other with a narrative purpose. It just...happens. Irrespective of the other parts.

I don't mean to say that she can't have contradictions, but the contradictions can't exist in their own bubbles.

That she ditches her family's welcome home makes perfect sense, both logically and emotionally. That she throws herself into some random aquarium as a way to have an excuse not to face her recent misfortunes and give herself a new purpose (real or otherwise) makes perfect sense, both logically and emotionally.

That she would act as though her family's palpable distress at her sudden disappearance is not a big deal does not make sense--neither logically nor emotionally--given not only what we've seen of her but how the show seems to want to portray her. It doesn't add a layer to her character, it muddies it. And I don't mean that it makes her seem less "good guy"-ish but that it seems out of step, making her harder to understand if we assume this is all meant to be in some fashion consistent.

The girl who was willing to risk (and ultimately lose) her dream for the sake of a friend(?) should be horrified at how upset her family is, even as she actively chooses to stay in Okinawa. She should be trying everything she can to mitigate that distress while also trying to preserve the little safety blanket she's weaving herself by staying in this town.

Now, if her mother was just annoyed, for example, that she had called to detour to a friend's house (wink) and was repeatedly avoiding discussion of when exactly she was coming home (particularly since she was supposed to come home days ago), then this port of putting off of dealing with it would make sense because it's sort of a nuisance, even if it is serious. But she's treating her family's rightful fear for her safety as though it's something she can just put off for a bit longer, like it's a lecture about staying out too late and not potentially traumatic for them.

Similarly, you could just ignore the discussion. Or, barring that, counter the criticism. Or do both by just saying all the things you love about it while not acknowledging the posts you don't like because who cares what anyone else thinks--especially if you think those opinions are a waste of space.

...since we're listing things we can do and all.

For my part, I want this series to do well. And I'm certainly not looking to force anyone to stop liking what they like.

tenor.gif

I assume she will, which will then make your point pretty fair, why extend it to just agree anyway, i think @interregnum (correct me if I'm wrong) said about it just making her be open and explain to her mothers the details, i could be wrong but sure someone said it, regardless, This would at the least solve the issue earlier.

Haha this was weird actually, Don't get me wrong, i seen plenty of shows where someone moves into the same room but a complete stranger you met that day, not quite sure i would be too happy to have them sleeping just a few feet away from you.

Just wanna hop in and say number three here, i mean i still think the show is pretty average (which isn't bad in its self) but i did really enjoy MC... for the reasons listed, selfish characters don't normally click with me but as you say, she was never really a bad person, which kind of balanced out and worked really well.

Actually it doesn't! When i wrote that i though to myself that if you had seen the show you would probably prefer Minko, though i admit i thought you wouldn't have much good to say about Ohana so i will take "she's great" in it's glory.
Actually that's the fun this show fails to achieve though, we clearly have very different taste in which characters we rank better and whilst our show taste seem aligned to some degree (swaying away at some genre, of course), we can usually find our individual taste don't stop appreciating a good story, Ohana and Minko being fine examples, they are pretty different and we like each one respectively, yet we can both appreciate what the other one brings to the show. Man i want more of these quality shows around.

Kukuru here really doesn't offer that, same for Fuka. Now don't get me wrong, I'm pretty fair to stuff, i accept it's only episode... 3? 2? I forgot! But it's early, i can be forgiving, for now!

YES!!! This!!!
As you say, Minko and Ohana just aren't compatible (even as friends, they clash, a lot) and whilst this doesn't paint the best image to Minko, we clearly see reasons why, heck the attention Tohru gives Ohana from the start, well as you say, it only furthers her distaste, which even before we know Minko likes the guy, it's obvious she doesn't like him giving Ohana attention.
anyway, that side, as you say, this is not the same here, Kukuru has no rooted anger, there is no visible reasoning outside the pressure of closing which is technically explained after even at that, she doesn't even take blame for herself, whilst it wouldn't cure the issue, at least admitting she was wrong would of been a step closer to a solution. I can't pass the place closing being a free-pass to behave this way.

No.
It would certainly help but I'm the sort who thinks when arguments get heated, people say what they feel deep down, sometimes revealing a shadow we didn't know existed. Basically, If she had admitted her own wrong doing too, i would certainly of been more forgiving but not a free pass. Lets say she was super cheery for the rest of the show (as a example), depending on how she behaves and her actions, it might take lets say, 4-5 episodes of that attitude to get me possibly giving her another chance, this is in the instance of her current rage tantrum with no fault take of her own, if she was upset but then apologised accepting it was in large part her own fault for throwing her in the deep end with 0 training or even some quick tips or warning, i might potentially cut the 4-5 to 3 or even 2 depending. Obviously i don't have a chart of ranking for this but the above is just trying to explain, her apologising and admitting she was equally wrong would go a long way but it wouldn't void the rift in my own head because i still feel it's her mistake to begin with. Obviously these things can't be measured and equally, the odds are we wont have episodes of pure positive behaviour (which is fine), i don't expect Kukuru to be perfect, no one is, i just want her to realise her attitude was out of order and she was in the wrong for expecting a newbie to know this stuff. It wouldn't solve my internal conflict but it would do wonders for restoring my faith.
This is obviously all just my personal thoughts and how i weigh characters in my head. Nothing factual, just my character opinion chart. Because it being so early this issue appeared, it hasn't helped as most character opinions are all pretty neutral for now as we don't know them much yet.

If this doesn't happen, I'm going on strike... I'm aware how logically that make 0 sense, and I'm okay with that!

She is pretty good at doing this... this bears nothing more, i just wanted to snap the opportunity to laugh.

I assure you, i meant the normal form of enjoying lol, but fair enough for the concern!

This actually made me laugh (I'm sorry!!), but i get your point all the same.

This thread makes me post a lot
I understand your point, I have a few issues with the setup though:
i) Firstly, its a personal one and i accept this isn't anything but that and likely a rash judgement i made incorrectly but it was sad seeing her get so angry after seeing her so cheery. I grouped her with a positive character and this scene really scorned that view. Again that's just my person taste and possible early misjudgement at play, it just was personally sad to see.
ii) I would of been more willing to let her off if she took responsibility. As-in she admitted she was at fault too for sending her straight out there, as mentioned above, i wouldn't free-pass her but i would certainly been more understanding if she apologised after get so angry and admitted she pushed her too soon to do a job. I accept she wouldn't know about training and running a business but she must know to some degree she was partly responsible for this. Accepting Fuuka wasn't 100% at fault would of been nice to see. Again Fuuka isn't on a free pass either, just I would be pretty angry if i was her starting this job and that was my first day is my point, i would of (like everyone says) argued you wasn't trained for it.
iii) I accept Fuka has some huge amount of pressure, i get the place is a failing business and its current owner is happy to let it go, I appreciate she has a personal attachment and doesn't want to let it sink, this is fine, it's actually as you say, commendable, i equally accept she has a lot on her plate, she doesn't know how to run a business and doesn't have the staff or skill to make it work, never mind the business failing is a problem which was present before her anyway, likely due to the town probably not being a big tourist location and Aquariums probably don't generate much from repeat custom from the locals, as they don't change much. So i appreciate her situation sucks but she let her feelings go too loosely.

I don't disagree. Heck i want her to pull through. I probably made it clear in my first post on episode one but i love slow paced slice of life shows, which usually don't take too many drama/dark turns, the genre is pretty perky all things considered, and that's my thing so i most certainly want to see them make it work, i hope Fuka brings something to the table which Kukuru never thought of and i of course hope Kukuru finds her place as a true leader and takes over the place. I certainly don't want to hate on anyone (lets make that clear), I watch the show for a chilled out feel, which is partly why i was so shocked or sad to see her fly off. I am cheering her on that now they have opened up a little more (and had a welcoming party) that the two begin working better together, both as friends and co-workers. I said above but i want this show to be amazing, not to hate it, 24 episodes of this (done right) is my idea of heaven!
Of course i accept there will be problems on the way, Fuka and Kukuru will mess up, i just want to see them work together to solve these instead of someone taking the moral high ground.
This could be a person thing but i see it happen at work, someone messes up and people get on their case about it but that solves nothing. Sure you can and should get mad but instead of making them feel useless, teach them, no just once or twice but as many times as it takes. I dislike leading teams but the few times i do end up in the situation, i find instead of belittling, helping them understand the issue and how we could avoid it works better than 20 minutes of them feeling useless.
Again that's just a personal thing but it all relates to why i felt her harsh attitude was wrong. That and i wanted her to admit she was wrong.
But i equally respect ones opinions, nothing wrong with you seeing it differently. This is actually why i enjoy these threads, they sometimes can feel heated but i love the way people see things differently. I find most threads i don't agree with the norm but that's cool, i don't agree with people challenging opinions. Heck, Fuka could murder the whole town and if someone said they was fine with it because it was funny, that's their opinion, not my place to change their mind, we all enjoy our own thing.
But yeah, point being i do want to love this one, it's got potential and for me, I'm hoping a small slip-up (for me) is all this was and we have some fun times ahead, i want to see them work this one out, together!
Not really sure who the comment is directed at but i make clear in most my posts i like(d?) Kukuru a lot before her scene here and more over, i want to like both her and the show, i feel they both have potential to shine, the merely destain being addressed her way at the moment is mostly due to the general average seeing her reaction unfair and out of line, which is a opinion, all are entitled to. It doesn't instantly mean we hate a show to point out faults. I actually list a lot of things i love too. Faults obviously more often than not create more talking points.
I very much agree with not watching something you don't enjoy but not giving a show a chance is equally fair to challenge, all shows deserve at least 3 episodes to give everyone a idea if its their thing.
Anyway, i can't speak for others (and maybe this wasn't directed my way(?) but As said, i want this show to be great, i love the genre and personally think the setting is great, I see potential here, i just don't think it's fair to over look a lot of faults too.
Honestly, my favourite shows will have me pointing out faults with them, heck my all time favourite has its fair share of them. I will likely over look most small ones here once we get going, it's just some stand out because I personally didn't enjoy Kukuru's rage, which is a personal opinion, if you think she was in her rights, that's fine, i just happen to disagree.
I don't hate her by any means, i quite the opposite, want to like her.
As said, i personally want this show to be great, it's a rare chance to give a slice of life not only a good setting (both location by the sea but in a Aquarium) but 24 episodes, It might be amazing, I certainly want it to be, nothing would please me more than chilling out to a good episode each week. I of course understand this is probably just me ranting, maybe I took this out of context or whatever, i just don't want people to misunderstand, i usually sign my episode review post of with my enjoyment factor which i believe this week was still "enjoying it", just upset with the 180 on Kukuru, which hopefully is just a one off or a example of me getting ahead and deciding her personality before she got to show it me.

This whole quote skit you put up was pretty funny, i didn't quote it all to save space but i got a laugh from it.Mostly as its a fair representation of things. The nail polish is a fair issue, she was never told prior not to wear it, some could argue it's common knowledge but... says who? Of course this isn't Kukuru's fault, she probably didn't notice it until then but... it's the way she approaches it, as Fuka should of known to begin with, as if it was, oh you know, explained before hand?
Again i wouldn't have a issue if she wasn't so harsh, she could of just told her to remove it quickly as its not hygienic for feeding live animals or the job in general whilst offering a full explanation later (off-screen or not). Instead we got abuse making Fuka look stupid.
Again this isn't hate on Kukuru but... this whole scene from nails to penguins just made her out to be someone else really.

I said above but i feel the simple solution to this is just... explaining herself. It doesn't sound fun but if she was honest with her mother, just explained she couldn't face a "pity party" which celebrates her leaving as a decision over her being firing by force and mitigates her dream into "your making the right choice", So she bailed, she is safe in a town staying with a friend etc *insert current events here*. Whilst it's not fun, this would remove the story, her mum saying "fine" would literally close this arc. Again, i said before, this isn't ideal but it would end the concern of the two sides. Her parents know she is safe and she doesn't have to worry that others are concerned for her.

Yup. I actually post in many threads when i enjoy a show others don't, If i just think the opinions offer me nothing to discuss, i just post my thoughts. Heck, even if i accept my own reasoning is weak, it is what it is. Remember, you can like something for the sake of liking it, logically i might hate action thrillers (I don't), yet i could encounter one i love, i might not be able to explain what makes it different but, why does that matter? It's all just opinion, we are all entitled to them. Even a terrible show by the masses can be a good show by a individual.
My point is, don't like anyone sway you opinion, if you don't agree with others or don't see a discussion, just post your thoughts, I am happy to focus on the good elements anyway, in which:

This.

Funny enough, me and @interregnum watch a fair few of the same stuff, our opinions fluctuate a fair bit from enjoying the same shows to one loving and the other hating, our character picks rarely align but even when we don't agree, we don't force the other to stop enjoying it.

For me, i just enjoy discussing everything the good and the bad are no exceptions.
As said in my episode reviews, i personally like the show, i want it to be a season favourite, but even the best shows have faults. Discussing them is a choice, one i chose to sometimes make.

It wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. I just felt kind of awkward and unwelcome because I'm having a fun, relaxing time with this and very few others seem to be.

I also apologize if it sounded like I said someone else's opinions were a waste of space. That's not what I meant at all. I was just saying that my own quality of life is made worse if I complain constantly, and I wanted to make sure you were okay.

I just felt kind of awkward and unwelcome because I'm having a fun, relaxing time with this and very few others seem to be.
Never feel unwelcome my friend, honestly just post your thoughts if you enjoy it, i can assure you in a few weeks when this gets going, odds are i will be loving it and posting random pointless stuff about the use of colour or other stuff (i get carried away with this stuff!). But yeah never feel unwelcome, I get when there are some negative comments it can feel weird to interject saying you enjoy the stuff but no one here is really "mad" or anything at one another, we just enjoy talking essay style posts. I think we all have high hopes for this one so was just a bit let down this week is all. I generally am still enjoying it and hope to keep that vibe going. But yeah never take our posts to the point of feeling weird or unwelcome - that's never out aim. I honestly enjoy shows where everyone seems to dislike them and happily will post my enjoyment, it's fine (even if i'm alone).

I also apologize if it sounded like I said someone else's opinions were a waste of space. That's not what I meant at all. I was just saying that my own quality of life is made worse if I complain constantly, and I wanted to make sure you were okay.
It's fine, honestly i understand your stand point here, I know it can feel awkward being the one defending something, even if people don't agree, never change your opinion or taste. I get your point on the complaints thing, I appreciate many would see that as a fair debate point, and i agree to a extent, It's understandable how discussing the cons over pros isn't everyone's choice, i prefer pros too. Actually I'm hoping next week will be back to the good stuff, or relaxing, that's cool too. (You will probably find if you enjoy slow/ Slice of Life, I will probably be there, either talking to myself or just defending them, this one by the end might just be another example).

But yeah, never feel unwelcome, always share your opinion, even if its something simple like you really enjoyed the calm relaxing episode, everything is opinion and no one can be right or wrong, and even people who disagree aren't looking for trouble, they just like to see different views for the best part and see how it aligns to their own :).

I'm also getting tired of all the hate. No one has to like it, of course, but it's disheartening to see repeated character bashing on a thread about a show I am enjoying quite a bit. If you hate it that much, I would just drop it and forget about it and let the fans enjoy it. There's a reason I don't spend all my time complaining about anime I don't/wouldn't like (other than one post about why I dropped) because it's a disservice to the fans and personally a waste of my time, when I could be actually enjoying myself.

Well, honestly there is not much in the way of character bashing currently in the thread, at least not to a level I consider character bashing in itself. Although I do disagree with a lot of the thoughts in this thread, and the overall outlook, I do understand and accept everyone sees things in a different way, and if I am being honest it does make things more interesting when you can debate with different outlooks about the outlook itself and why it exists. In my opinion, it is just more important to have a stance you truly believe in and are willing to fight for than nod and agree with something you do not fully understand, support, or care about. If anyone can truly discuss why they find things a failing that I find a strength, then more power to them.

Well, yeah... it has a run time. They can only pack so much story in a given time frame. I am not sure I would classify moving the story along as making the problem go away... more like possibly putting it on hold to revisit further along. Now truthfully, they could drop it all and never return to this conflict again, which is always possible, but since we still have 22 episodes to go, neither character has in any way overcome their personal challenges much less the challenges with each other, I expect quite a bit of revisiting to this particular scene with hopefully growing and evolving for both of these characters.

Also, I think we are on completely different pages when it comes to the term "mistreatment" being used. Kukuru gave her a stern speech after the incident, I've gotten worse than that from my mom for leaving the toilet seat up, not going into the reprimands I have faced for actual mistakes I have made in job training whether I felt they were justified or not. So yeah Kukuru raised her voice and gave her the stink eye, she did not verbally beat her down, humiliate her, disrespect her, or roundhouse kick her followed up by a figure four leglock. We can easily debate whether or not Kukuru was in the right or wrong here, and how much of it is her fault vs Fuuka... but she did not do or say anything that a solid "We'll do better tomorrow" can't fix.

It wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. I just felt kind of awkward and unwelcome because I'm having a fun, relaxing time with this and very few others seem to be.

Don't let any discussions here or any thread for that matter make you feel unwelcome or undeserving of having an opposite opinion. Keep having that fun relaxing ride and take with it the knowledge you found something in it they missed or overlooked, and frankly isn't that a special something all by itself?

2:
I think you guys are being a bit pedantic about this.
Episode 2: Uhhh what?
Look... I get unrealistically fast somewhat dumb developments are often needed in stories but... this is a bit too much of both for my taste...
Oh and of course just to completely piss me off, they make Fuuka remove her nail polish. And while I would never claim to be a fish care expert.. I find it hard to believe dry nail polish would do anything. Other skin products/perfumes that are still chemical and could get in the water? Sure. But dry paint... come on.
I guess it was the only visual thing they could have changed, can't really show a change in someone removing perfume in a drawing. Still, I'm pissed. And yes, it's for completely personal taste reasons.
It seemed reasonable to me as a fair way off establishing her highly protective nature towards the animals, I too am not a fish care expert. I'm in no position to question the real life science behind such precautions and I don't think you are either.
Nekus said:
This episode also completely changed the tone of the show. I understand why they wanted to show the job being hard and Fuuka still has to learn practically everything so of course she's not going to have an easy time but her getting assaulted by penguins and then instantly berated was just depressing to watch. Far from the relaxing vibe of episode 1.
The first episode gave me the impression that the series would be about Fuuka finding her footing after reaching a critical crossroads in her life. Switching career paths to something seemingly random like this is never going to be an entirely smooth, stress-free process. This episodes was entirely in line with both. previous one and the subject matter. Episode one wasn't too relaxing either, losing your job and living on the lam with strangers would not give me a comfy vibe.
Nekus said:
Episode 2: Uhhh what?
Oh and to add a final shitty thing to this episode, Fuuka's backstory got ruined a bit. A character failing or getting burned out couldn't possibly happen nooooo our two leads need to be P E R F E C T so she only lost her job because she was being extremely nice and let another girl sing since her GRANDMOTHER WAS DYING. Fuck that's just so unbelievably boring. A teen idol getting burned out or just not succeeding was so much better.
And ironically, what Fuuka is doing right now is... exactly what gave her trouble. Helping someone's elses dream. This time by getting involved with a failing aquarium. And look, of course it's going to turn out fine, all I'm saying it's that it's a bit ironic that she hasn't even learn her lesson from what ruined her entire career.
I wouldn't say that the retcon makes that much of a difference. Either way she still ducked at the first sign of a major roadblock, facing disillusionment from having her kindness be punished. But I do think it would be easier to connect with her backstory if her downfall wasn't triggered by something so perfectly reasonable as letting her kohai get what could be her only chance to perform as a center in front of her grandmother. Between the choice of either having to be cruel and succeed, or be kind and face consequences you won't even realize until after the fact, most people would choose the latter and there should be nothing wrong with that. Her backstory is still fundamentally about someone losing interest in their dream in the face of the crushing reality it entails, it's just that what caused her to leave were external problems. Being forced out of an environment you care about because of a toxic work culture can also be a relatable dilemma. Particularly in a nation like Japan where pressure to keep working hard, no matter the personal/social sacrifices, is notoriously ingrained.

Your comparison between idol industry and her job at the aquarium is extremely unfair I think. As far as being an idol goes, every opportunity taken means depriving someone else of it. The sense of comradery can become an illusion once the next chance to get ahead is in view, but with helping Kukuru she doesn't really stand to lose much of anything asides from a finger or two from a snapping penguin. I'd say she got a pretty good deal out if this, with a roof over her head and a job that she probably isn't qualified to take.
Even if real life enforces the idea that "being kind is a flaw actually" sometimes, that should never be a lesson applied universally.
I buy so much of the outside of this show, but they just don't know how to fill any of it in! Like, I'm fine with Aqua Girl just sort of hiring Former Idol, and I can even go along with them moving in with each other--IIIIIIIFFF they show the two of them hitting it off immediately. That's a thing that lots of people do. Doesn't happen all the time, I know, but it's not weird for two people to connect and feel like they've known each other forever. But by hiring Former Idol, Aqua Girl needs to F***ING PAY HER. How is that going to work? Is she getting paid? Is she so desperate to stay away from home that she'll settle for room and board as payment, for now? Is Aqua Girl so blinded by the advantage of having someone else around that she's not even thinking about this? THIS WOULD MAKE FOR GREAT CHARACTER DETAIL AND POSSIBLY EVEN CONFLICT MAYBE DO SOME OF THIS IT'S HOW THE DRAMA HAPPENS.

Can't it just be a standard assumption that Kukuru is following the basic of laws employers need to attend to? As far as I see it, if this issue isn't a critical aspect of the narrative and I can just assume that it makes sense, then I'd rather give her the benefit of a doubt. Also keep in mind that we're on episode 2/24, we don't exactly need to get all of the deets on their unwritten contract out of the way immediately. I know money is tight for the aquarium these days, but that's no reason to immediately assume Fuuka is somehow a slave.
With that all said, I'm too lazy to read the all the essays that spawned within the time it took to complete this post, so if any of the arguments brought forth here have already been discussed to their logical conclusion, uhh, sorry.

Last edited:
I never intended to make anyone feel unwelcome so I'm sorry if that happened, as Madoka said we just enjoy essay-style posts and making debates arguing about many shows.
I also apologize if it sounded like I said someone else's opinions were a waste of space. That's not what I meant at all.
I'm very glad you think that way, and of course glad you like the show! I don't really intend to change anyone's mind when explaining what I dislike, I just want to express myself.
I was just saying that my own quality of life is made worse if I complain constantly, and I wanted to make sure you were okay.
And just to be clear... I like complaining. Not in a mean grumpy way, but debating various aspects of a medium I love with people who are interested in it as well! That's why I even bother posting in the forum after all. I actually find echo-chambers where only positivity is allowed (places like r/anime) to be very suffocating because you can't express what you feel without being downvoted to oblivion.

Trust me, I (and dare I say this apply to all of us) wouldn't spent literal hours writing posts if it wasn't fun.
Episode one wasn't too relaxing either, losing your job and living on the lam with strangers would not give me a comfy vibe.
While the events definitely weren't the tone the show set was definitely much more relaxed, with long slow walks on the beach and beautiful scenery.
Your comparison between idol industry and her job at the aquarium is extremely unfair I think. [...] I'd say she got a pretty good deal out if this, with a roof over her head and a job that she probably isn't qualified to take.
I do agree that the deal is very good actually. A lot more than she would get in most other places at the end of the day. My problem was just with the attitude she decided to join it, where she's practically running away from all her lives problem and instead of trying a new start and thinking about what she wants to do with her life she just finds someone and follows their dream.

As we then talked (in many, many words and post) this can still turn out great for her character in the long run, I just became a bit doubtful about it. That's all.

Trust me, I (and dare I say this apply to all of us) wouldn't spent literal hours writing posts if it wasn't fun.
8AADF26909A0194DE14B5E0C4003B217E192FDDE

if this issue isn't a critical aspect of the narrative
Except it is.

The gap we have, in this thread, between the criticism and the "I think it's fine" sides of the discussion seems to be over the necessity of certain elements in storytelling.

Right now, there is a checklist of emotional beats that the show is hitting, and they are (for the most part) all the correct beats. But the beats exist in isolation, and the movement from one beat to the next ignores rules established in the previous beat, even when those rules are integral to that previous emotional beat and even when that previous emotional beat is supposed to be influencing this emotional beat.

So, when part of the premise of the setup (insofar as the aquarium stuff is concerned) is that it is losing money, and Aqua Girl decides to spontaneously hire some rando off the street under those circumstances, it should tell us something about Aqua Girl that she did this. And, on the other side, when Former Idol jumps at the chance to beg for a job she knows nothing about, this should tell us something about her.

And it does: they are both desperate. Which...good. Well done, show.

But this raises obvious questions about the implications of this decision: can Aqua Girl afford to hire her? does Former Idol even think about the payment side of things? does Aqua Girl think about the payment side of things? are they both being wildly impulsive? is Former Idol working under assumptions that won't pan out? is Aqua Girl deliberately misleading Former Idol in the hopes that she'll be able to pay her later after Former Idol's help starts turning things around?

My point isn't that this is one detail the show isn't dealing with but that it's one of many details that are missing and leave holes in what we're watching. There is a repeated failure to assert consistency to the world of the show.

Yes, the employment contract is not of massive concern to the progression of the plot, but it matters to the makeup of the characters. I don't expect a 10-minute scene of negotiation and paperwork, but three seconds of dialogue would answer all these questions, and a one-second shot of a glance or gesture or unsure reaction from a side character would establish this as a tease for something to come later.

Instead, the show seems to wave away those questions by necessity of having Former Idol now work at the aquarium, which is important for the plot to move forward.

she did not do or say anything that a solid "We'll do better tomorrow" can't fix
Fair enough.

I'd point out we didn't get that, though. Which is the why it's such a problem.

I expect quite a bit of revisiting to this particular scene with hopefully growing and evolving for both of these characters.
They had multiple chances for this to be resolved already, and they didn't even acknowledge it happened.

We might get more instances of Aqua Girl putting unwarranted blame on Former Idol, and maybe she'll get some pushback, but no one in-universe even hinted that what happened in that scene was on Aqua Girl's total lack of training Former Idol--including Former Idol.

Doesn't matter how many more episodes there are, this didn't feel like a tease of character arcs to come, to me. It feels like checking items off a list, no matter how they get to them.

Obviously i don't have a chart of ranking for this
[eyes you with skepticism]

Yes. Because I don't know how much longer I'm going to stick with this, so I need to get these things in ASAP.

I said above but i feel the simple solution to this is just... explaining herself.
It's a little straightforward (and early), for the storytelling, but it would certainly work.

I think the problem is that the writing went too far with the stakes related to who she was ditching when she ran off. If it was her skipping a pity party night of drinking with some friends, that'd be one thing, and her vaguely "I've been kidnapped" non-response responses and shutting off her phone become both acceptably rude and easy to put aside. But that it's her family who was expecting her to come home and who flew into a wild panic when she didn't is something else entirely. She can ditch them and even (unintentionally) cause them to panic, but her response to the panic needs to have been different, I feel.

Funny enough, me and @interregnum watch a fair few of the same stuff, our opinions fluctuate a fair bit
Exactly.

Like how you're still embarrassingly wrong about Rent-a-Girlfriend.
04b77de832b78ca1cb8bdcddc45da3bab7674490.gif

AND THE STREAK CONTINUES!

i mean i still think the show is pretty average (which isn't bad in its self) but i did really enjoy MC...
Chitose (the MC) is really the only reason to stick with the show, which is, as you say, generally pretty average. Nothing really sparks outside of her.

But boy does she spark!

When i wrote that i though to myself that if you had seen the show you would probably prefer Minko,
Clearly we've been around each other too long.

Because it's certainly not that our tastes in anime girls are loudly and repeatedly broadcast in literally every show we watch, to the point where total strangers would be able to make accurate guesses. Nope. Definitely not that.

This one.

It's...a little scattershot, at the moment. And it's one of the double-length first eps, if you give it a shot.

Aha! Tourism-chan is voiced by Lynn! That's why I immediately fell in love with her.

Mystery solved.

Okay. That was mostly dull, but generally pretty okay, nonetheless.

Former Idol finally felt like not letting her mom die of a stroke. That was nice.

Aqua Girl wasn't unnecessarily dickish. That was nice. Oh, and we've clarified that she is, in fact, just flailing about (though I would not say she is reckless, as she wonders, at the end) because she's worried and unsure. Which is good, because it should be that. And she realizes that she's just throwing darts at the wall blindfolded, which is also good. Kinda wish we'd had that as part of last week, but...y'know.

Boy-Friend gave us a really awkward info dump about Aqua Girl's past, which was sad. Not the backstory, the awkwardness of the info dump.
This will sound like a nitpick, but it isn't: he delivers his speech about Aqua Girl backwards.

Essentially, he asks after her and then says
  1. her parents are dead
  2. the aquarium means a lot to Aqua girl because she's sees it as a surrogate for or living memorial to her lost family
  3. he's worried the (maybe-)closing of the aquarium is going to do a number on her
So, as it stands, his explanation about voicing his concern is that her parents are dead.

Except...that's not why he's concerned. He's concerned because he thinks the aquarium (maybe-)closing is going to do a number on Aqua Girl. Because the aquarium is like family, to her. Because her parents are dead. And he should explain it to Former Idol in that order. Or, at least, the bit about the parents being dead is not how you lead, there. Because, when it is, it sounds like a presentation of backstory rather than an explanation of why Boy Friend is concerned about his crush definitely just friend that happens to deliver backstory.

The information is the same, of course, but the difference between being exposition and sounding like exposition is significant.

I still can't believe their response to the vet going into labor. Is it cooler, out in the main area? Why not keep her in the offices in the back? Did you really have to shut down the place because of this? (Speaking of: golly, this woman must really, really care about these animals if she felt that being overdue was an okay enough time to trek over to the aquarium.)

And...well, I'm a little unclear about the timeline, given the supposed age of the penguin as a guide, but...my crazy theory of the week (yep, bringin' it back!) is that the rooster-haired kid is the spirit of the baby Aqua Girl didn't know her mom was pregnant with when she died.

Another good episode. Still moving along slowly, with both a lot happening in one sense and not a lot in the overall story. Which is fine, it is a marathon, not a race.

The imagery of the show still enchants me, and I so much want to just get lost in this little town as much as the show itself. I loved the little touches in the discussion between the case, and how much they want the Aquarium to survive because it means so much to the town, as well as themselves.

We get another dream scene just like in episode 1, and it was just as enchanting as it was then. I said before I think there is a hidden power in the Aquarium that works sort of like the baseball field in Field of Dreams, except it is not just showing you the past, but the future as well. Communicating with a frightened heart perhaps, and calming it with more than just soothing words from people who mean well but are not you. And this works well for me since it could be based upon the very real phenomenon of people who experience strange sensations in the world of comfort and hope when they are at very low points in their lives or dealing with extreme distress or hopelessness. Whether it is showing them a memory they forgot and regret, a present they are struggling through, or a future they are in fear of... maybe it can't fix the problem, but maybe it can help you find peace or resolution towards it.

Did you really have to shut down the place because of this? (Speaking of: golly, this woman must really, really care about these animals if she felt that being overdue was an okay enough time to trek over to the aquarium.)

Well, they are running on nonexistent staff as is, so having a customer/staff member in medical distress would qualify as a reason to temporarily close down. I've seen places with more space and more employees do the same thing. And as for the pregnancy... baby or not, you still have to get around, and sitting at home just waiting could make anyone antsy and looking for a reason to get out. And hell, some expectant moms literally work up to the day of the birth, which speaks more into our healthcare system than anything else.

is that the rooster-haired kid is the spirit of the baby Aqua Girl didn't know her mom was pregnant with when she died.

Anything is possible, but I tend to believe it is a Kami of some sort since it tends to hang around shrines so much and seems to be interested in helping people in distress and uncertainty.

Episode 3 - I liked the ED...
not that anyone asked
No really, I like the ending music and visuals, it's the underwater theme which is kind of my thing (there is a reason Asukara sits at the top of my lists you know), but additionally, i quite enjoy the soft music, it really works with the theme and the colours, which if there is one thing PA Works know, its colour, arguably they overdose on vibrant colour but i never dislike that either.

Anyway, ahem, the episode:

More enjoyable this week, Kukuru took a step of the train she was on last time and chilled out more.

I honestly liked the key chain, not sure why they don't sell really, maybe it's because I'm a sucker for this stuff (I really enjoy sea creatures, aquariums and sanctuary locations for animals... useless trivia, when i was a teen i spent several days just watching and interacting with seals and penguins at a similar place... i really like them, okay?!). but i thought they looked pretty nice and rather well designed, especially when you consider some trending "cute" things.

The pregnancy story wasn't really my thing, whilst it's not overly used in anime, it does pop up once in a while and almost never changes, which as always, no change here aside the small insert dream part. Nothing much more to say beyond that to this little arc, thought i guess it gave reason to introduce the local vet.

Choko... despite i generally dislike this naming system, i do like this name, it works from a none JP prospective (in not knowing how she chose this name and what it really means), so yeah, go Choco.
Glad they didn't diagnose some serious condition though, it sounds dumb but man that would of brought my mood down... I'm that person who can watch people be eaten alive by zombies or torn to bits by monsters but can't bare to see a dog die by something like a bullet... so yeah, penguin death = no no. Sadly i see Choco facing a rough future, he/she is pretty old apparently (though i just asked Alexa who says they live 20-30 years... though maybe that varies by breed or the fact this one isn't wild... 15 doesn't sound old...) which leads me to believe this is the start of Kukuru's emotional ride as the director, I'm possibly just putting things which don't exist yet together but i can see them doing this to add emotional value and possibly challenge Kukuru, a director can't be phased by losing a life, even if it was like their own child, they have to think more widely... i will stop now.

We see tourist-san is putting in the effort behind the scenes which is pretty cool, i like it seems the locals are mostly happy to keep Gama Gama alive.

Oh, if i didn't mention, i quite liked Fuuka seems to be more accustomed to her role now, not that i think she did anything wrong last time, but i think the general atmosphere is better now she is okay working on her own, she also looked happier too.

Not sure what amount of luck Kukuru needs but to have a teacher like that, nice. Most teachers aren't understanding, with credit to them, their job is to educate kids, they don't need to expressively care about said kids future but its to offer them the chance. Kukuru does have her future (for now) set in Gama Gama but as the teacher says, there is a fair chance that it wont be around forever, and no grades under her belt wont look great. Of course everyone knows once you start working, no one cares what grades you leave school with, it's all about your experience but my point is, he was rather understanding to a kid who submitted a page with penguin drawings on and thought that was sufficient.

The line about having a boyfriend made me laugh... it shouldn't of but it did:
"I will go there on a date!"
"What? You have a boyfriend?"
"I will make sure I have one by the end of summer"
*Everyones laughs*

This was just funny, only made funnier by the laughing as i couldn't help by that guy and figure they was laughing at her, not with.

Because it looks funny
lllZvLi.jpg

"who you looking at?"
596N4Cg.jpg

I actually quite enjoyed the Penguin segment a lot, just because whilst it wasn't educational or anything, it was still cute but felt legitimate too, as-in, it was the stuff you would expect to see, general animal care, checking weight and health etc, I dunno, i just enjoy that kind of stuff, can't really explain beyond i just like it.

So yeah, much better this time, though i still found the pregnancy part a bit boring, not anything against it or wrong, it just was boring and didn't add much... except one thing:
So the weird drug world view returns, not sure if this concept will interest me or not but i did find it interesting she met her child, why was this interesting? Whilst it could be illusion at best with her merely creating a generic image, if however it wasn't, and her kid indeed looks as such, I dunno, that could be pretty interesting.
Regardless, i still dunno what to make of this stuff, i imagine it wont become a big part of the series until later anyway, it's mostly fragments for now slowly building into its original form down the line, which is fine, i prefer this kind of setup over teasing it and not mentioning it for 13 episodes and expecting us to recall it happening.

Former Idol finally felt like not letting her mom die of a stroke. That was nice.
Yeah she tied that one up, It's probably better they didn't show any replies, it's the whole case of digging a hole too deep, any reply outside a phone call would feel questionable so not showing it probably works best.
Which is good, because it should be that. And she realizes that she's just throwing darts at the wall blindfolded, which is also good.
Yeah, no matter how much she knows this place or even spent her time working here, the level of running a place pretty much empty handed and as a student... a teenager at that, of course she should be shooting in the dark, hits at this point should be grouped with failure, mostly because that's more true and makes the achievements feel more real, see the Hanasaku above, Ohana's fails made her a better lead and in turn, more likeable.

This will sound like a nitpick, but it isn't: he delivers his speech about Aqua Girl backwards.
Couldn't agree more to this, especially after reading your ordering he delivers it in, it really is the wrong way around. I dunno if he equally should be talking about her parents death too, not that it's wrong, its common knowledge to her friends and locals but usually that's the stuff you either leave to Kukuru to mention or otherwise if you do mention it, don't go into details. Though maybe I'm being a bit unfair, he does justify this link with her attachment to Gama Gama.

Because the aquarium is like family
I loved this association... sounds dumb but, well I could see it being true. We treat our pets like family at home, right? Of course she will see them as such too. She visits every day, feeds them, cares for them, they are family. This is only amplified by her parents being gone and she likely latched onto these even more so to help deal with that when she was young, which is again, fine. I would have no issue to them spending time with Kukuru explaining this herself, how she loves them and they are her family etc.

Why not keep her in the offices in the back?
I did think this would of made more sense, logically she is out of customers way (not in the sense that she is a bother but it gives her privacy), but it does in turn offer less complications as you wont have customers in your way or around as you try to attend to her.

really care about these animals if she felt that being overdue was an okay enough time to trek over to the aquarium.
Haha, true, but i don't fault her... though that's because i care more about the penguin than people so errr yeah, maybe not the best opinion to listen to here.

is that the rooster-haired kid is the spirit of the baby Aqua Girl didn't know her mom was pregnant with when she died.
Interesting! Not gonna lie, i didn't click on until reading your comment, the two books, sounds dumb but it just didn't click with me that there was another kid... interesting, very interesting.
As for the theory its self, i would say it's pretty good actually, certainly would say its probable and on the cards. No idea for now of course but it's a interesting thought and i would say it's quite likely to be one of the options, that or;
, but I tend to believe it is a Kami of some sort since it tends to hang around shrines so much and seems to be interested in helping people in distress and uncertainty.
this is equally a fair probability. The shrine thing i guess is something i don't think associates, it could as Kukuru made a point to pray to it in episode one and to teach Fuuka as such in episode 2, so maybe, I oddly think of Shrines as death as much as gods so... it's certainly possible to link that to Interregnum's theory too.
Regardless, for now i imagine it will be a side mystery, which is fine anyway.

and how much they want the Aquarium to survive because it means so much to the town, as well as themselves.
The best way they sell this to me is always seeing the little kids there having fun, it sounds dumb and cheesy but that imagery always makes me feel its something the locals appreciate a lot... dunno why.

it is a Kami of some sort since it tends to hang around shrines so much and seems to be interested in helping people in distress and uncertainty.
Heh, which is sort of what I meant: the baby brother she didn't have because the mom died is a spirit/kami/elemental force of consciousness, now, who is watching over his sister and her beloved aquarium and her beloved home town, making his presence narratively connected to the characters instead of just some hovering supernatural phenomenon that isn't actually necessary to the story.

My subtitles said "Waddles," which she explained as coming from how he waddles around.

I cannot imagine what would account for the difference in translation at all nope total mystery.

The line about having a boyfriend made me laugh
Me too, actually.

The best way they sell this to me is always seeing the little kids there having fun, it sounds dumb and cheesy but that imagery always makes me feel its something the locals appreciate a lot... dunno why.
It's because if the kids are having fun--and if the kids are locals--then that aquarium is going to be a major fixture in their memories of childhood. No, it might not be the first or or the fifth thing that means "childhood," to them, but it's going to be there, and they're going to remember it, and it's going to be this wave of joy that rolls over them when it does.

Though maybe I'm being a bit unfair, he does justify this link with her attachment to Gama Gama.
No, I thought the same thing. He brings it up for a reason, and it's a somewhat necessary part of his explanation because he's concerned for a very specific reason that might not make sense (in terms of its magnitude) to Former Idol if he doesn't explain fully. But it still feels presumptuous of him to say it, since it's not his his information to share, despite it being something that happened a long time ago and even though Former Idol is literally living in the same room as Aqua Girl at the home of Aqua Girl's grandparents.

I don't think he made a mistake in doing it (minus the order in which he did it, of course), but I definitely had to spend a moment discussing with myself whether he'd done something impolitic or not. And the only thing I could come up with was that he doesn't know a frikkin' thing about Former Idol. Which, honestly, would not dissuade many people who really, really, really wanted to get something off their chests. (Plus, of course, Former Idol is living with Aqua Girl, so it's not like he didn't think they were acquainted.)

EP 3: I'm just not vibing with the show.
I'll stick with replies since I'm kind of late to the party and I'm sure practically everything has been said already.

Okay. That was mostly dull, but generally pretty okay, nonetheless.
Yeah that's exactly how I felt about this episode.
It only took seeing another mother giving birth and caring for her son huh?

Nah actually, I like how it had something to do with mothers, It's just so weird that it took so long. Speaking of mothers... mine would have called the police like a couple dozen times by this point.
Boy-Friend gave us a really awkward info dump about Aqua Girl's past, which was sad. Not the backstory, the awkwardness of the info dump.
I get what you meant in your explanation of how boy-friend (heh, good nickname btw) exposition could have sounded better, but I'll go one step further and say that they could have completely cut it.
Kukuru already thinks of her family when she sees the newborn, so they could have straight up told her backstory that way as she reflects on her parents. Which.. she did yes but a full fledged flashback instead of a 3 seconds one would have driven the point of her thinking about it more. (which would then have made both of our leads think about them and make the episode have a more clear theme)

I admit that the pacing of the episode might have been weirder but... then again the random exposition as they cleaned the tanks wasn't that smooth either imo.
I still can't believe their response to the vet going into labor. Is it cooler, out in the main area? Why not keep her in the offices in the back? Did you really have to shut down the place because of this?
Yeah that was... weird. I like the idea of the staff not worrying about the visitors because a birth is more important but.. yeah it really seems like the most logical options would have just been to have her in the offices. Maybe back there they didn't have a bench? that could simply be it.
Oh God please I hope you're wrong.
So the weird drug world view returns, not sure if this concept will interest me or not but i did find it interesting she met her child, why was this interesting? Whilst it could be illusion at best with her merely creating a generic image, if however it wasn't, and her kid indeed looks as such, I dunno, that could be pretty interesting.
Until it actually matters to the plot I will keep pretending they don't happen to be honest. I just can't help but simply... not caring about unexplained supernatural stuff if even the characters don't seem to particularly care for it.
I simply completely agree.

Is it ironic that we are vibing over something that doesn't vibe with us?

...have I said that before? I feel like I have.

It was probably about Deadtective. Yeah, that's what it probably was.

[insert VividRed gif]

actually, I like how it had something to do with mothers, It's just so weird that it took so long.
I think what makes it work is that it refocuses Former Idol, that the appreciation for the magnitude of the moment (birth and motherhood) snaps her out of her reverie(?) at being cut off from her life and makes her reach out to her mother, who she's selfishly been avoiding. It emphasized the mother's perspective and what having a child means, which all children are naturally ignorant of (usually until they have kids themselves). Which is a solid moment of character growth for anyone, that moment when you realize what parenthood actually means.

But that it took so long--and, in particular, that avoiding her hasn't been over some insignificant thing--doesn't quite carry the day, like they wanted it to.

Speaking of mothers... mine would have called the police like a couple dozen times by this point.
The joke version of this moment is that we cut to the mom's phone receiving the text message and it's on the table of her kitchen and there's a whole police squad in there with the phone hooked up to tracking equipment.

Also: yes.

I admit that the pacing of the episode might have been weirder but... then again the random exposition as they cleaned the tanks wasn't that smooth either imo.
Oh, that exposition could have been done better (beyond the structure of what we got) and been a character moment for Aqua Girl or Boy-Friend. And I thought it would have been nice for it to be much more subtle, too, like they seem to be doing with the baby book.

I suppose, ideally, you would have the tank-cleaning scene without Boy-Friend going into detail with a stranger about why he's asking after Aqua Girl. And then the audience draws their own conclusions ('cus we've seen flashbacks) and/or then Former Idol starts to put together what's up and asks someone about the parents (maybe in an ep or two).
"So...um...how is Aqua Girl?"
"Huh?"
"Like, at home. How is she? Is...I know you're staying with her, so..."
[Former Idol, despite being an anime character, has figured out he has a crush on Aqua Girl, and so she answers with a smile]
"She's how she is everywhere, I guess."
"No, I meant...like...is she okay?"
"What do you mean?"
"It's just...the aquarium might close. And I know how much it means to her. She would come here all the time with...when she was a kid, and she cares about this place so much. She's throwing herself into saving this place, and if it closes...this place is a family for her, so if she loses it..."
[Former Idol, like anyone casually watching this scene, thinks this an innocuous description but also, because of his intensity, isn't sure how to react]
"She seems to be all right. I think she's dealing with the stress as well as she can."
[he doesn't respond, just cleans his tank harder, to the slight confusion of Former Idol]

Lukewarm dialogue writing aside, that's the shape of what I'd describe as a more subtle way to do the scene as we're discussing it. Leave us a hook, it emphasizes some character stuff, the details aren't actually all that hard to work out but having to put in any kind of effort to figure these things out makes us feel way smarter than we actually are...

Maybe back there they didn't have a bench?
And they couldn't think of bringing one of the benches to the back? They could move a bunch of privacy walls over to the bench, but not the bench somewhere else?

Like, I can think of a bunch of ways that getting her to that bench in the middle of the public space was not only logical but maybe the only answer, so I'm not saying it's ludicrous that it happened. It's just one of those details where I'm immediately questioning what I'm seeing instead of getting caught up in the story--and, like so many other things, just a simple line of dialogue or shot framing would have set it all aright.
I mean, if they're trying to get her to the back (from the penguin habitat) and can't make it, and she lies down to the bench on her own and they have to adapt to that, then sure. 100%. I'm with ya.

Or if they go to take her to the back and it's not cool enough or not clean enough (because of anime-related stuff).

Or if Aqua Girl, in a semi-panic, chooses the bench because it's a flat surface for sitting on and that's the first thing she thought of, then Former idol says, "Shouldn't we take her to the back?" and Aqua Girl's like, "Duh, what was I thinking," but then the vet moans and it's clear that moving her is out of the question.

It's just that they bring her to the bench as though it's the obvious answer. Which, again, seems like a small thing, but it's one of several seems-like-a-small-thing things.

I mean, it's not Black Widow-levels of bad, but...

Also: Black Widow was bad and full of "but why would you do that?" moments.

Oh God please I hope you're wrong.
#AcceptTheBrainJar

Until it actually matters to the plot I will keep pretending they don't happen to be honest.
Same.

Honestly, it's a step away from hitting
images

territory, for me. And we know how well I reacted to that.
...not well.

I don't know why I said everyone knew how I reacted to that. I mean, the context would make it clear that it likely wasn't positively, but still.

Back