Share your school experience

In a word, complete and total Hell. I hated my teachers, and they hated me back. Especially when I corrected them. Never had much in the way of friends, was bullied for everything from my voice, my hair, my glasses, my weight. Had none of that zero tolerance bullying stuff, so you had to learn to fight back. Which landed me in countless detentions and an anger management class. By fifth grade I'd given up on the whole education system, and rode out my remaining years as the bully since I'd hit my growth spurt early and didn't bother even doing homework. Eventually decided I was done, did something bad enough to get me kicked out and got a G.E.D.

...So yeah, not fun.

In a word, complete and total Hell. I hated my teachers, and they hated me back. Especially when I corrected them. Never had much in the way of friends, was bullied for everything from my voice, my hair, my glasses, my weight. Had none of that zero tolerance bullying stuff, so you had to learn to fight back. Which landed me in countless detentions and an anger management class. By fifth grade I'd given up on the whole education system, and rode out my remaining years as the bully since I'd hit my growth spurt early and didn't bother even doing homework. Eventually decided I was done, did something bad enough to get me kicked out and got a G.E.D.

...So yeah, not fun.
damn bro.. How are you now?
Because I used to have only study problems ( I was dumb enough). I could not pass anything without math assignment help online. It's good that I found out the solution to avoid problems but anyway I still was trying to learn something.

Last edited:
Sour and sweet.

I was a poor, sad kid with a chip on my shoulder, so I often butted heads with teachers and administrators. I was suspended about 10 times and graduated by the skin of my teeth, a 1.6 GPA, with threat of expulsion for days missed.

I went to college though, a little later in life, a bit more mature, but left alone to do things at my own, faster pace, generally with my decisions on what to research. Graduated my state university with a 3.86 GPA (and that was only pulled down because I was forced to take Spanish, and that ruined my straight As because I'm dreadful at learning languages.) and High Distinction.

I've always had many friends and lovers, and never bullied (my school was thankfully not filled with 80s movie assholes, lol) so I've never had an issue with my peers, mostly just teachers with barely a degree getting uppity if I stood up to use the restroom (never have, never will ask to pee. Outrageous.) I dont like cliques, so I would run with jocks, weebs, emo kids, whatever. As long as you're interesting, I fucks with ya.

Hope that gives some discussion fuel!

I graduated high school with a 4.0 and valedictorian status and honors. I'm extremely stupid though so that was only achieved by having absolutely no social life, literally just doing all the busywork they gave me perfectly. I put in hardly any actual effort.

Nobody knew who I was when I was up with the valedictorians at graduation. And I didn't know anyone else either. I didn't write a speech and I didn't go to honors meetings.

It was shit.

Right now I am in college, and I have a 3.6-3.7 GPA (was invited to honors again) because I've just been not doing things as wholeheartedly I guess. The way some classes in college are taught make me want to end it all so I just let my grades slip in some classes and post on forums during so I can keep my sanity. Though there has only been one so far I was close to failing and it was social sciences. Because nobody cares about taking graded tests on how privileged you are based on your skin color.

Things are better now that I'm in my program though. I'm betting that my grade will rise.

The only thing that's stayed consistant throughout my entire education so far is the complete lack of a social life. I've had the same two IRL friends since junior year of high school and have not made any more since then. Well, I guess you can count @SMores as an IRL friend of mine now :D

I just hope when I graduate college, it's not with any sort of acclaim. The knowledge and hard work is what matters to me, not the status or the experience.

School... ugh. It sucked ass and the short version is due to my experience (especially issues I had with staff) I'm convinced the American education system is absolute garbage, and I'm not bothering with college as I don't want to spend the rest of my life in debt or learning crap I'm not going to use. I've considered possibly taking some classes in the future, but only if it's something I have actual interest in that I'll use in life. That way my time and money will be well spent.

High School, it was pretty good. Buds, played cards during lunch, hung out, sometimes at this board game club and while I was the Star Wars nerd, it was really chill there. Final year was a bumticker though.

University, it was... something. Probation, extra cash moneys from OSAP, 30% tuition back, taking first year, second year, third year courses all at once, program changing so I had to substitute courses, take some over the summer in classes of like... 14 people because it wasn't part of my curriculum but still offered. Had some classes with some buds and that helped loads. Electives and Liberals were the best, so chill and easy and it got me into history and my minor in it, but left a course requirement unfinished for so long that I almost got required to withdraw from my program but eventually graduated and everything is good. Also wrote essays the day before and it worked out, hell for sleep but I kind of miss that thrill, being at the gates of hell and fighting like a banshee. But the anxiety for that final stretch of my term, I would kill to avoid that feeling.

And Cs get degrees, had a D- or three but for some of those courses, I ain't complaining. It's a miracle at times and you never question miracles.

My time in formal education has always been phenomenal. High school was a blast - good classes, fun teachers, a solid group of friends I'd known for about a decade at that point, a steady girlfriend, and I even managed to get a job with the school district as a janitor once I turned 16. I placed 35/325 in my class, though, and missed the top 10% mark for free state university education in NJ.

Undergrad was great, too. I got a full time job with the university as a groundskeeper and took on a full course load all throughout because I just kept adding programs to my curricula until the university told me I couldn't do so anymore. It was pretty lonely my first two years, since I went to school in Philadelphia, but I made a good group of friends there in time and the last two years were some of my best. (Undergrad was also the first C I got in my life...in an art class, no less. Go figure) I ended up graduating with 182 credits and 6 programs, but that didn't translate into a job after college.

So I went to grad school. I took two trimesters of an MPA program at the University of North Carolina before running out of money and having my creditors shut off my financing. I had to drop out and joined the Army afterwards, where I got sent to language school to learn Arabic. I have to say, learning Arabic from zero proficiency to professional proficiency in the span of 18 months was the greatest academic challenge of my life so far and blew grad school out of the water in terms of taxing me mentally, but I got it done.

Overall I'd say my school experiences have been fantastic. I'd like to go back to either complete my MPA or a JD but my LSAT/GMAT/GRE scores have expired by now, so I'd have to retake those first.

My Highschool memories are a bit faded now, since I started Grade 9 in '79, but it wasn't a bad time. The only bad things happened because I was a dumb kid at the time and didn't take school seriously. My last year was really a blast, tho. I only did Grade 13 due to my parents influence- I had already gone and enlisted after Grade 12, but I was allowed to finish highschool while I attended my military courses as well. Since I had my life planned (or so I thought) I really didn't take it seriously.
I had few freinds in school, but they turned out to be mostly life long freinds- this led to the best year ever as we made up our own Breakfast Club. All of us were outsiders that didn't fit into any of the cliques- me as the military nut (during the end of the hippie era, so not a good thing at the time), my g/f at the time was the kuudere intellectual, Frogg was the punk-rocker anarchist, Italian born Carmen was our "Gina", Roger was our absolutley insane Austrailian- we were quite the group and were well known for skipping afternoon classes and sitting in a hole in the wall cafe across the street from the school playing arcade games. And the teachers didn't care, as long as we kept getting high marks.
School may suck on so many levels, but you can't help but look fondly back at those times when you get older. Not sure what highschool is like now, but if some magical event would offer to turn me into a teen again, with the chance to go to school and have a do-over, I would take it in a heartbeat. Those of you still in school- take chances. Have a blast. Live it. But for f's sake, study and learn seriously.

Elementary school ('92-'97): was awful. Nowadays, it's easy to tell that every new generation is worse and worse, but mine wasn't good at all either. Bullying was already huge, people in my class was petty even for the silliest reasons. Most teachers created an atmosphere of terror, i distinctly recall one of them going around the school openly shaming me for a bad answer in a test (i was 8 or 9 at best). And my parents always blindly sided with teachers without ever letting me try a defense, and wanted me to get the highest scores and have the best behaviour even if they weren't good at school themselves, at all, when they were kids. During 5th year a third afternoon at school was added (two were already too much...) so time at elementary seemed to never end, of course some of the worst teachers stayed for all five years and they always threat to flunk the worst bullies and force them to repeat 5th grade, but of course, after the final exams, they didn't. I would not be surprised if some of those terrible kids is in jail right now or perpetually unemployed.

Junior high ('97-'00): first two years had better professors overall and i had a little better grades, but there was still a severe problem with bullies. I didn't have to go to school on afternoons anymore (it was my choice as a retort against elementary teachers that wanted me to pass more hours at school), but i still was a laughing stock and was never able to react, to a point that even my whole family seemed to dislike me hard. Halfway through, i asked to the principal to change section for the third year, and if i remember, my request would have been accepted if my then current teachers wouldn't have voted against by majority. Only two of them declared they wanted to force me to stay because "you must solve problems, not avoid them". Oh, yes, whatever. Those little pricks couldn't look forward to pick on me even harder than ever for another 9 months, knowing i wanted to escape. Well, they didn't. I went from A to the B section and i had the absolute best time in my school career... still retained some of the best teachers from first two years and except for one (a try-too-hard liberal) even the others were good, i returned once again to school on two afternoons but this time it was an enjoyable experience. On fridays after lunch, we had extra classes to learn extra activities as drawing comics, chess, sports, computer programming, music keyboard lessons... it was a blast. To a point where i put myself in trouble because i was having too much fun with my new classmates. I still have the photo class framed in my room and that year i went to my one and only school trip for more than one day (it was great, of course).

High school ('00-'05): while still in junior high, i chose a classical lyceum without a serious plan for the future, probably just to avoid mathematics, which i always disliked, as much as possible. My first test in that hated subject was a 4.5 out of 10 and immediately my mom sarcastically suggested me to drop out and go to work... well, that 4.5 is the highest score i ever took in five years of math tests. After a hard start, i began getting decent scores for the actually important subjects as ancient greek and latin, the first full year ended pretty good but the second was a long time of highs and lows.
Halfway through third year, i didn't care any more about maths and started returning its tests as blank pages, both as a retort against my parents who decided to waste money for a private teacher i never asked for, and also because i needed to have a little more fun and stop being depressed. All in all, third year was the worst out of five, i wanted to drop out at the beginning and search for a full time job, but my parents forced me to continue: they wanted me to "stay behind a desk", meaning "graduated at university". Somehow, studying seriously only for the last month and a half, i managed to not repeat third grade as i would have deserved. 4th year was the absolute best, second only to the 3rd in junior high: i didn't even have to study too much and aside from maths my grades were all pretty good, i started playing basketball again, had fun in general with videogames and music... the 5th was another hard one, even if not as much as two years before. Still, i managed to get out with a mediocre 67/100 out of extreme kindness of all my professors and cheered because i already decided that my entire school experience was finally over once and for all. Nonetheless, i still have a good memory of these last five years because of what i learned from real life and not straight from the books, even if i hardly socialized with classmates and other students from the entire institute. Bullying was non existent this time, but i wasn't a good person to have around, whether if depressed or passive-aggressive for really stupid reasons. I lost contact with nearly all of these people, and well, it's understandable if they forgot me 100%

University: didn't go, not even a single day. I finished high school only two months earlier and it was hard telling the news to my parents. I even tried, after turning 18 and finishing 4th year, to tell them i needed a sabbatical year after high school to work and save money before resuming studies, but once again i was denied in a non delicate way. The day i should have gone to enroll somewhere, i actually went out of my house, but watching those hallways full of people and books, and the papers i had to write, sign and return, convinced me that i had little to no money and even less will to do something i never wanted in the first place. After a first full year unemployed and returning heavily depressed again, except for a few days here and there working in pubs, i found a job in a bakery almost next door and gladly started my career in the world of food and restaurants. "Fun" fact, even after months i was happily employed, my father STILL wanted me to go to university and not even nearby, but in a far place from italy that he likes and i don't.

Honestly, i sorta realized already since elementary/junior high that i would have become a angry, bitter adult because of the pressure i had from parents and teachers. But... to their excuse, my choices were finally accepted after some time and even if they all were sometimes way too harsh on me, i somehow managed to be a little more ready for the real world. If they were too permissive, i'd probably be a even worse man by now. I had a lot of luck for having been able to work 11 years and a half out of 14 since high school graduation, despite my immature choices as a teen.

tl: dr elementary - bad, junior high - from bad to amazing, high school - all mixed up. The sentence "school is important" is way too abused. I saw people dropping out early and have a strong career because of their choice, friends with college degrees that took almost forever to find the jobs they studied for, and even someone who finished high school without a clue on the future and still has zero experience in the real world of jobs because of laziness.

I rather not reminis about my school days since well it was hell to be honest.. The only thing I truly miss is Art and History class.

in elementary school i was suspended more days than i was at school.
i almost got expelled from junior high.
i once helped a kid break into my high school so he could steal stuff. think he took band instruments. also once accidentally set off the schools fire alarm trying my first cigarette. once threw a firecracker on top of the performing arts building cuz some kids found a way up there and used it to smoke and shit and busted them with said fire cracker cuz im an asshole. school's free food was terrible but they had companies like papa johns and chickfila supplying "better" food for money, me and friends used to steal it. closed campus but i still left with friends to get fast food. once threw a kid into a dumbster for harassing my friends sister. once vandalized the drama room cuz some drama kid called me a f**. listen the fact i gradated high school and wasnt in jail was amazing,

School experience? Hmmm, well in elementary school, I was that super annoying class clown whose jokes you laughed at, but deep down you found him annoying and wished he'd stop disrupting class. Desk was always right up against the teacher's so they could quickly tell me to STFU, or occasionally out in the hallway so they could just shut the door on me. Not that I liked the attention. I've always loathed attention, but if I was going to get any attention, I think I wanted it to be on my terms. Mostly I was just awkward and uncomfortable around other people so I made jokes, because if they were laughing with me then at least they weren't laughing at me. Not much has changed in that regard. I'm just not as loud as I used to be.

Junior high I spent much of in detention or in school suspension. I wasn't as annoying then, but I got in a lot of fights. Not fights I picked, mind you. I was the shortest kid in the school, and wore big, goofy coke bottle glasses, so I always got picked on, and I had zero tolerance for that shit. I found that if I didn't back down from a fight, I might get my ass kicked, but the person I fought was less likely to pick on me again. Mostly because I fought really dirty. All dick punches and fish hooks and twisting joints in directions they weren't meant to go. Fighting me meant you were probably going to win, but it was more trouble than it was worth. Exactly according to plan! Mwuhahahahaha! Unfortunately I had to teach that lesson to dozens of kids before the harassment stopped.

I couldn't get a girlfriend because I looked like I was 12, and I was skin and bones, so even the small clothes my parents bought me were baggy on me. I think this was probably around the time that I started to hate being seen by people, having my photo taken, or seeing my reflection. All things I can barely tolerate to this day. I was still the "funny guy" but no longer as annoying and disruptive. Just kind of the kid that a lot of cliques let hang around them for the sake of entertainment. Not a central part of any group of friends, but on the outskirts of several different groups. Got along with basically anybody who wasn't a bully, from jocks and cheerleaders to nerds and band geeks to my closest groups of friends, the slackers and potheads. Deep down, though, I just wanted to murder myself, but I was scared that I'd fail and people would find out I was suicidal and force me into counseling or something. Like, I wanted to do it right, so nobody could stop me. I felt like I'd be looked at as being pathetic for being suicidal in the first place, so if anybody found out I didn't want to be around for the repercussions. But when I was putting my plans together, I started feeling guilty about how my family would feel, so I decided to just hope things would get better. All told, Junior High was pretty much the worst thing ever. I was half decent at wrestling, and really good at taking tests, but I don't have any fond memories of that stuff. Just all depressing or embarrassing memories from my early pubescent years.

High school happened next, and things got better, slightly. I grew to the low end of average height so nobody picked on me anymore. Which is a shame, because that's when my body started producing muscle mass, and I got really good at wrestling so I might have actually won a fight. I made new friends and started clumsily hitting on girls. Didn't have any success there, but I think I was getting close... before we moved to AZ my Junior year, where I had to make all new friends. Unfortunately, almost all of them were seniors, so when they graduated and I had no friends left I just gave up on that shit. Senior year I rarely showed up for school, and when I did I kept to myself . Spent most of my time skipping class to pick up shifts at Starbucks, as I'd led my boss to believe that I only had a half day schedule due to having so many credits. The credits thing was partly true, since I'd moved from Pennsylvania, a state with a really good education system, to Arizona, which is one of the 2 most pathetic education systems in the US. Graduated high school with a C in Senior Lit Comp (only credit I still needed), all Fs in my other subjects, and absolutely no friends outside of coworkers. Absolutely riveting stuff.

After high school I enlisted, and things definitely did get better. Started dating, built some confidence, was proud of what I was doing, and best of all, I learned how to pretend that public interactions don't have the same effect on me that spiders do to people with arachnophobia. I'm like, super duper good at pretending to be well adjusted now despite being 100% the other thing.

I give school an F-, would not try again. I did college it up a few times, but it kept getting boring, and I ran out of money. So that's what made me the moderately well paid borderline-loser (if you're half glass empty), or borderline-winner (if you're a weirdo) that I am today. I do wish I'd finished college. As it stands, I can live relatively comfortably, but I'll probably have to keep working until I die, because I have no retirement plan.

10/10 would do again. okay maybe not. i never liked school because it was boring. it wasnt easy either, but i did just average. i hated homework, and stopped doing it around 66% school period completed.

Primary 4 till 10 was great.
Posh village school for kids of the upper middle class.

Secondary school not good.
All the other kids from my primary school went off to grammar schools or private schools.
So unlike most the other kids who had friends from primary school with them i started secondary school knowing absolutely no one.
From day one all the other kids called me fat bastard.
I was bottom of the class for everything except math Greek mythology and science.
For most of the first 2 years I got on well with teachers and behaved well. I even made junior prefect.
Physical bullying didn't happen to me.
I was too big (I was actually just chubby but I had ((still have)) very broad shoulders so i look fatter that I actually am) so the first time anyone tried it I just picked them up like a rag doll and did some wrestling move on them, usually tombstone or bodyslam.
I was strong enough to even take on kids 4 years above me at school yard sumo and win nearly all time.
So the only way they could bully me was psychological to which I had no defense as I was considered backward and slow (which in those days was the nice way to say that I was retarded) and should have been sent to the special school but couldn't because it had been shut down.
So my first 2 years was a horrible hellscape of being name called because of my weight, being kindly neglected by teachers whilst desperately trying to fit in and keep up whilst blaming myself, bottling it all up and suffering it all in silence.
Then one day near end of my second year i was walking out of the shop near the school at the start of dinner time when 3 guys from my year walked past, one of which was basically my only real friend, he told me that they were going round to one of the guys house to drink some his dads booze and get abit drunk and that I could tag along.
So we went to guys house and we got drunk, kind of.
Its fairer to say that the other 3 got tipsy and i got roaring drunk.
We then went back to school and the fun began.
I puked up on the headmaster and told him to f off, fought all attempts by teachers to restrain me (whilst simultaneously vomiting on them and telling them all to f off) I did all kinds of damage to stuff due to falling on it or walking in to stuff. I was so drunk I couldn't feel any pain, which was extremely handy because some one tried to slap me sober, it didn't work so they tried punching, I just stood and laughed at them, eventually getting bored and then wandered off to rip a street sign out of the ground.
Ended up in hospital. I'm told they pumped a pint of mixed spirits ( mostly whisky and vodka) out of me I had blacked out by that point.
I didn't know it at the time but something snapped in my head that day. That day I went from normal kid with some depression and anxiety issues to something b4 what I am today I guess you could call it a state of proto schizophrenia. Found out years later that not feeling any pain had less to do with alcohol and more to do with having a psychotic episode.

The following Monday I went back to school to find many things had changed for me.
Suddenly instead of being the dumb fat kid that ppl called names from a distance, I was a celebrity and every one knew my actual name, what's more they even used it, for once realisation dawned quickly and i realised I was at that moment "kool".
That very day I got introduced to the kool bad kids, and surprisingly to me they were really nice ppl not at all like bitchy bullying popular kids.
Even more surprising, I found over time that they liked me for who I was and not just because of the drunk thing. And so I became one of the misfits and freaks. I guess you would call them goths by todays parlance.
I also found on that Monday that followed the drunken Friday that the teachers weren't gonna treat me the same as before.
Because I was an academic no hoper they had up to that point treated me with a benevolent neglect, because i behaved well and was well spoken, friendly and polite they basically gave me a pass to sit quietly in class whilst everyone else did school work.
But after that day, many of teachers realised they had a bonefide explosive schizophrenic sitting in their class room, what's more because some of them had tried and failed to restrain me during my drunken rampage they knew that if I had another episode I could do alot of damage and there was nothing they could do to stop me.
So I suddenly found I could do what I liked and very few of the teachers would interfere, which was nice.

So I passed the next 3 years as one of social outcasts doing pretty much whatever I liked. Which was mostly sitting quietly at the back of the class with my walkman on trying to do what ever the class work was. I wasn't one of those disruptive kids that made a spectacle in every class.
The popular kids still occasionally took the piss out of me and my friends tho they always made sure they were far enough way so I couldn't catch them.

I should point out I was not a bully I never lashed out at anyone that hadn't first subjected me to endless verbal and mental abuse/bullying.
Neither did I lash out everytime some one called me a name and was within reach.
I only made examples of the worst offenders and then only the ones that were considered to be tough guys.
After you've taken out the top dog ppl tend to leave you alone. Tho there's always gonna be someone that didn't get the message.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was one of the smartest kids at school but I might have hated the concept of school more than anyone else. Despite my good grades I almost got expelled in high school (twice). I pretty much skipped half of my senior year cause I couldn't stand the teachers, the high school drama and the extremely poor hygiene of the school I was in. I may or may not have been concerned about catching some disease popular in medieval times because of the state the school was in.

As for the teachers, they had the idea they were there to comment on your personality or act like they're your parent rather than teach you a school subject. Most of them weren't so good in the fields they were teaching either. A teacher of mine once told my mother I didn't love her (I never stated anything like that and I most certainly do not think that way of my mother). That was one of the highlights of the idiocy, although it was not the only one.

Looking on the bright side, I had some good times too. I was in the school band and we organized concerts every Christmas and I was part of the physics community at my school and attended many competitions. I made friends I still keep contact with and had a wonderful time hanging out with them. Honestly speaking, I didn't study much and mainly relied on the fact I'm a quick learner, so I had plenty of time to have fun and do all kinds of crazy things. I didn't hate all aspect of my high school life, I just hated the school part.

Elementary school - Overall pretty good time. I have some fond memories of this time of my life and made like two friends that are still dear to me even to this day. Teachers we're 50/50. Some of them were wonderful, but others were terrible. Especially our music teacher, who I think should never teach music to kids. I was one of the better students as well and was capable in every subject outside of PE.

Junior-High - Downward spiral begins. Had a close friend group, but got bullied a lot. My motivation to study and going to school drops and most of the time I just flunked or went to morning classes and went to home when I just couldn't stand it anymore. Teachers were most of the time wonderful and cool people. Some of them even favored me because I was one of the rare people from my class that could behave. Fondest memory and achievement is scholarship/stipend I got for being generally a good student and nice to everyone or something like that. Grades were starting to drop at this point. Not the best time of my life, but it had it's moments.

High-School - Hated every second of it. I was immediately ostracized from the classmates and people tried to avoid being in contact with me. Managed to get one friend, who dropped out on his second year. Teachers were 50/50 like in elementary. The quality of teaching was poor and my grades went down even more. I started to hate studying and only subjects where I would get good grades were the ones that I was interested in (music, art, English and history). I also went to school like once or twice a week. Somehow graduated from there.

University of Applied Sciences (present) - Started studying here this fall. I'm studying something I actually like which is cool, but I still hate going to school. Haven't managed to get any friends and I usually just stay at home making all the assignments if I have the choice. Can't really say anything else at this point.

Back