Shaman King (2021)

Ep8: I dont remember details in the manga especially the beginning but the changes from the OG anime is definitely welcome. I am glad Manta's family actually 'exists' unlike the OG version.
and the 2 annoying girls didnt appear.

At first I thought Manta talking to Yoh in the beginning was a dream or something, but then I realized halfway through it was probably more like a "sacrificing your own feelings" kind of situation. And this episode he plunges himself into darkness in more ways than one, casting off his friends, and all his senses in order to become shaman king.

Man, wooden sword ryu is the best. His pompadour works in mysterious ways.

Except for when he's being enveloped in the fat fucking nuts of a tanuki spirit and being peed on by a fox thing.

I4CL2j4.jpg

You have got to be fucking kidding me. And her name is tamao. Tama.

My wig is fuckin gone.

iMlVuvT.jpg

WOHA NEW HAIRSTYLE

Last edited:
8:

Tamao is the most tragic character in this series. Anna killed her with the fan comment. Unrequited love always sucks. Poor girl.

It gets even worse if you read the sequel manga wherein
she ends up raising Anna and Yoh's child, while the alpha power couple leave on a trip around the world.

You don't just crush a panda, dude I don't care how evil you are. That's just not something you do.

As for the fight scene I'll take one interesting and not shitty fight over a million jujutsu shitsen super well animated but dumb and meaningless fights. And I don't think the animation in this fight was bad at all. Compared to stuff like toilet bound hanako-kun this is downright film quality.

The only problem I have is silva doing numerical analysis on the side. If there's one shounen thing that bugs me it's reducing power and ability into numerical points. But that's a minor complaint.

God, wooden sword ryu is incredible, he's basically a gintama character transported into this anime. But so are those rockstar guys.

Looks like that one guy from ep 1 is back. A little evil twin action or whatever it is.

Episodes 7-10:
Damn, I've forgotten how creepy Faust is, the way he casually performs surgery on Manta like its no big deal. Then he gets completely owned by Ren by the end of the fight. The rematch between Ren and Yoh was definitely a turning point for Ren. He knows what he's capable of and when to accept defeat.

Hao is starting to make his move in the current timeline when he sent those two monks after Yoh. Ren is going to challenge his father, but if I remember correctly I don't think its going to end well.

Last edited:
Man I can't wait to see this on netflix. The fact that at some point episodes will be released there means that there will be a dub alongside it which is the main thing. I like the current cast but a dub would turn this into something I can just have on in the background whenever I want. Also due to the nature of the show I feel like it would be better binged. Despite it being really good it's a bit unfulfilling how short the episodes feel. Every time it's like... aww now I have to wait a week to see more.

Man I can't wait to see this on netflix. The fact that at some point episodes will be released there means that there will be a dub alongside it which is the main thing. I like the current cast but a dub would turn this into something I can just have on in the background whenever I want. Also due to the nature of the show I feel like it would be better binged. Despite it being really good it's a bit unfulfilling how short the episodes feel. Every time it's like... aww now I have to wait a week to see more.
If it comes out with a dub, I'm definitely gonna be rewatching it in dub. It seems like the kind of show that would thrive from a dub. I just hope that the dub can meet my expectations. Also yes, the episodes do feel REALLY short. It feels like the kind of show you should binge.

Man, I feel like I am 11 again. I might have a biased opinion, but this is just one of the greatest battle shounen ever.

I won't disagree, it definitely has something unique to it.

Also, love your reviews.
It really is unique, perhaps that is why I love it. Thanks, I will try not to disappoint you with my Shaman King review!

Some news on that, seems the release date on netflix will officially lie in early august, i expect for about 13 episodes for the first season.

Depressingly... it seems... no dub was previewed?
https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1403022185258569739

I hope this doesn't mean it isn't getting a dub.

Man, japan really loves its super sentai. For being such weak ass corpses you gotta wonder why tao yuan heralded them as his "best fighters" when they can literally just get chopped in half or frozen and shattered, instantly. Pretty flimsy if you ask me.

It's nice that we're getting a two-parter here, the episodic nature up until now has been nice but it's cool to get a more extended story that encompasses a bit of a character arc for Ren. It's pretty neat.

I will see the designs of these corpse dudes are actually fun as hell.

The Bob Marley reference makes sense given Yoh’s character. Now that I think about it, one of the osts from the older show had a strong Reggae feel to it.
To think that little me didn’t know Reggae back then...

Last edited:
Back