Sekiro aka Dodge, Deflect, Die

Schizm

So I'm having a pretty rough time with this game atm despite enjoying it immensely. Sneaking around Ashina Castle and getting my ass kicked by tengu, blue samurai and assholes with overgrown spears right now while also still dying at Lady Butterfly's 2nd phase in the Hirata estate a lot. I got like 5 Healing Gourds now and I barely even notice it with how hard this game is. At this point I'm glad if I'll make it halfway through.

Reading the unblockable moves in the midst of battle and not freaking out and pressing wrong buttons is one of the biggest challenges for me so far, also timing deflects right for more posture damage and setting up deathblows (the Ichimonji attack skill helps me lots here but it's not always easy to apply during fights). Stealthing is key here and works fine for me but only after buying the Supress skills for it. Definitely helped with some bosses like Juzou.

This thread is for sharing tips and tricks regarding Sekiro's world and bosses but may also serve as a place to rant about the game's frustrating aspects. For starters: Where can I find the giant white snake for the one-shot kill? What does the old dancer's mask do once you've collected all parts? Got any nail-biting fight moments to share or wanna gush about the beautiful design and world?

Was honestly a bit surprised at how relatively easy Gyoubu was after a bit of trial & error, especially with the grappling hook attack and some firecrackers (well ok, he's also only the first real boss in the game so yeah...).

@Tents will be all over this thread when she's more well rested. She's had her ass spanked by the game left and right. She enjoyed most of it I think.
I thrived on it. I will gush about it later, though. =D

Spoilers for your questions if you actually care (=D), @Schizm:

Snake is late game quest if you are going for a specific ending and I can elaborate on it more if you want. And the mask boosts your attack stat, in short: you want it. =)

I thrived on it. I will gush about it later, though. =D

Spoilers for your questions if you actually care (=D), @Schizm:

Snake is late game quest if you are going for a specific ending and I can elaborate on it more if you want. And the mask boosts your attack stat, in short: you want it. =)

I care VERY much so thanks for the answers, sensei :D Guess I gotta kill some more carps then...

There's like four endings I think?
great... so either fight Owl or Isshin, like pick your damn poison xD

I care VERY much so thanks for the answers, sensei :D Guess I gotta kill some more carps then...

There's like four endings I think?
great... so either fight Owl or Isshin, like pick your damn poison xD
Yep.

On the bosses you mentioned and a bit spoiler-y:
Isshin the Sword Saint is the bestest last freaking boss ever. Ugh, I am so in love with that fight. But Owl the Otosan wasn't as fun for me although I know people like him. My patience ran dry so many times during the fight because damn dude got stamina.

Yep.

On the bosses you mentioned and a bit spoiler-y:
Isshin the Sword Saint is the bestest last freaking boss ever. Ugh, I am so in love with that fight. But Owl the Otosan wasn't as fun for me although I know people like him. My patience ran dry so many times during the fight because damn dude got stamina.

Before I even think about those two and get all demotivated I decided to abuse Hanbei for a day or two to get timings down and learn to keep my cool for unblockables. Otherwise I won't even make it past the blue Ashina samurai and their Ichimonji bullshit.

How was your experience regarding the ape and (true) corrupted monk? The 2nd ape rematch with its bride looks impossible without cheesing tbh. Hope Genichiro won't crush my hopes before even getting there.

Before I even think about those two I decided to abuse Hanbei for a day or two to get timings down and learn to keep my cool for unblockables. Otherwise I won't even make it past the blue Asima samurai and their Ichimonji bullshit.
Once you figure him out (if your are talking about the miniboss), the fight will be over in a second. It's ridiculous how funny it is after long and painful struggling.
How was your experience regarding the ape and (true) corrupted monk? The 2nd ape rematch with its bride looks impossible without cheesing tbh. Hope Genichiro won't crush my hopes before getting there.
Ape is an awesome if a bit frustrating fight but he can be parried to hell and back. AoE attacks are yikes and the camera can be a bit bitchy. The other fight was actually easier for me, I just ran around the map and yanked at them separately.

I don't remember much of the monk. Pretty sure one of the stealth jumps was patched out? But firecrackers and some parry did the job quick enough.

Once you figure him out (if your are talking about the miniboss), the fight will be over in a second. It's ridiculous how funny it is after long and painful struggling.

Ape is an awesome if a bit frustrating fight but he can be parried to hell and back. AoE attacks are yikes and the camera can be a bit bitchy. The other fight was actually easier for me, I just ran around the map and yanked at them separately.

I don't remember much of the monk. Pretty sure one of the stealth jumps was patched out? But firecrackers and some parry did the job quick enough.

I meant the undead training dummy to the right of the Sculptor's temple :D I can do free combat as often as I want without getting hurt and practice my timing and button presses. Doesn't really prepare me against an attack from two tengu or smth but still better than nothing. Not looking forward to terror-inflicting enemy types either because I hate instakill status effects (well, who doesn't lol) but at least I can farm fearlessness powder from zombies in the dungeon.

Right now I'm trying to fight the lone swordsman in the well and damn, he might be even more annoying than that ninja atop the pagoda in the memory.

Right now I'm trying to fight the lone swordsman in the well and damn, he might be even more annoying than that ninja atop the pagoda in the memory.
I thought this dude was very easy despite how cramped it is in the well. =D

I thought this dude was very easy despite how cramped it is in the well. =D

Well, you're an inhuman killing machine so there's that xD I stealth him for the first point but then I get too anxious, mess up and get caught up in his slices. Guess I should really use my shinobi tools and quick items more (except ceramic shards, they're fucking useless).

On another note, Ashina Castle is a wet dream to traverse and explore.

Killed three mini-bosses today and actually feel a bit accomplished rn. The Seven Ashina Spears guy unfortunately wasn't among them but that's three smaller yet still legitimate headaches out of my way. Time to head towards the castle top...

Beat Lady Butterfly and pagoda ninja today and found some more Sculptor's Idols. All in all not bad progress and the next assholes in my sight are the Armored Warrior and Jinsuke Saze. I already progressed further than I thought possible tbh and man, that's cool for sure.

Beat Lady Butterfly and pagoda ninja today and found some more Sculptor's Idols. All in all not bad progress and the next assholes in my sight are the Armored Warrior and Jinsuke Saze. I already progressed further than I thought possible tbh and man, that's cool for sure.

armored warrior is super easy once you realize what has to be done, shouldn't take long

So yeah, made tons of progress since the last time I posted here. Got the Mortal Blade, beat Guardian Ape yesterday and now sneaking around Ashina Castle again trying to throw some shit in an incense burner while being annoyed by purple ninjas and a certain someone.

Genichiro was the hardest boss fight in the game for me so far but man, was it fun. Must have died like 15-20 times against the guy. Guardian Ape was surprisingly doable after a few tries and with the right tools.

Beat the game twice and nearly finished with my third playthrough for the secret ending, then doing a fourth one for the Owl memory (still missing the last two prayer beads) and Purification ending.

@Tents you were right, the Isshin boss fight is fucking amazeballs if hella stressful at times when he slams that spear down. When that final lightning reversal hit and I got to deathblow him I felt like a fucking master shinobi. His Shura boss fight is cool too but nothing comes close to the adrenaline rush that is Sword Saint Isshin.

So yeah, when can I expect my Git Gud Club membership card in the mail?

Needless to say this game is a goddamn masterpiece and possibly GOTY for me.

Back