Secret Santa: Review the [s]Song[/s] Album Edition

HasseRovdjur

Breast Claw
Season's greetings and merry tidings, Anime-Planeteers! We got anime! We got films! Why not also have everyone post an album review or two just in time for Christmas shopping? Let's all send out a few albums for each other to review, and people can review one or more albums, depending on circumstances.

Rules of order: no super-rare takes that can't be streamed anywhere. That one Wu-Tang Clan album, for instance, is not in the spirit of this thread. It should preferably be found on streaming services, but since this is an international forum, this is hard to check. Therefore, I think it's better if we all recommend at least five albums from different artists, and perhaps genres.

Fill out this form, please.

Secret Santa Participant
Anime-Planet user name:
Link to forum user account:
Favorite genres:
No-go genres:
Okay with explicit lyrics:
Other:

• Last sign-up day is December 1st.
  • I will try and send out your victimrecipient by December 2nd.
  • You have until December 7th to pick at least five albums and send your choices to me.
  • Albums should hopefully then be sent to the recipients by December 8th.
  • Reviews should be up by at least December 25 or thereabouts, but you can certainly post your reviews earlier than that. In fact, I encourage it. The Secret Santas will also be revealed on that fateful day.
  • Use this thread to post in.

Last edited:
Secret Santa Participant
Anime-Planet user name: Thrawn
Link to forum user account: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/members/thrawn.16524/
Favorite genres: Rock, Adult Oriented Rock, Arena Rock, Hard Rock, Stoner Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Glam Rock, Progressive Rock, Power Ballads, songs that have dope ass guitar solos, wicked awesome riffs
Favorite genres that aren't specifically rock: Jazz, New Wave, Psychedelia, Synth Pop, 80s music
No-go genres: Hardcore Metal genres that aren't heavy metal like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden, abrasive walls of noise, folk, country & western
Okay with explicit lyrics: Fuck yes fucker.
Other: Not much of a rap head but I only listen to the classics. Not to heavy on new-age musical shiznit.

Rules of order: no super-rare takes that can't be streamed anywhere. That one Wu-Tang Clan album, is for instance, not in the spirit of this thread.

You mean the album that cock holster Martin Shkreli bought? To think we will never hear what could be the greatest hiphop/rap/anything album ever made.

Now that's more like it!

Anime-Planet user name: Schizm
Link to forum user account: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/members/schizm.16474/
Favorite genres: Heavy/death/thrash/black/stoner/doom metal, blues rock, hard rock, psychedelic rock, (post) punk, noise rock, alternative, 90s hip hop, crossover, sweaty pumpin' funk shit
No-go genres: Schlager, easy listening, a capella, modern country, most modern rap
Okay with explicit lyrics: BASTARD SONS BEGAT YOUR CUNTING DAUGHTERS
Other: I guess some new wave and similar stuff is ok?
No-go genres: Hardcore Metal genres that aren't heavy metal like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden

You'll make Jeff Waters cry talking like that!

Last edited:
Anime-Planet user name: ZetsubouKaiji
Link to forum user account: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/members/zetsuboukaiji.46550/
Favorite genres: I go through different phases, but the stuff I come back to the most is 70s/80s rock, 80s pop and new wave, synthwave and early 90s hip hop.
No-go genres: That's no fun. Hit me with it. Just don't mind if I am kind of harsh with it in the reviews.
Okay with explicit lyrics: I like it dirty.
Other: I've been in a hip hop phase recently so if you've got a lesser known album or something then send it my way.

Secret Santa Participant
Anime-Planet user name: Taek
Link to forum user account: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Taek
Favorite genres: post rock, shoegaze, minimalist electronica, 80s goth, hip hop, nu wave, no wave, prog rock, slow as fuck atmospheric metal, stoner rock/metal, real fucking dirty stoner rock/metal, chill hop, jazz hop, trip hop, break beat, folk, witch house.
No-go genres: fuck this shit
Okay with explicit lyrics: of course
Other: destroy my eardrums, and then cool them down please, I like the after care after a hard fucking

Secret Santa Participant
Anime-Planet user name: HasseRovdjur
Link to forum user account: Here
Favorite genres: all sorts of \m/, punk, anything with Ice Cube on it, early prog, most forms of rock, German electronica on analog synths, '80s and '90s hip-hop, eighties sellout phases, stuff with good basslines
No-go genres: Like I care
Okay with explicit lyrics: FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME
Other: I am not that adventurous in my music listening, so there're a lot of classics I have been missing out on, so don't be afraid to recommend me well-known stuff!

I guess I should participate on this too.

Secret Santa Participant
Anime-Planet user name: SpiritOfCoffeeMug
Link to forum user account: Blegh
Favorite genres: Any kind of metal (Black, death, doom and progressive and their billion subgenres are my favorite tho.), any kind of rock (progressive, classic and post-rock mainly), punk, synthwave and all that 80's retro stuff, industrial, new wave, shoegaze, ambient, jazz, blues. and folk. Classical I enjoy time to time, but it isn't something I listen to everyday.
No-go genres: Modern pop, reggae and modern rap.
Okay with explicit lyrics: Of course.
Other: You can recommend pretty much anything. Atmospheric music is always appreciated since I'll be listening these while drawing most likely.

Last edited:
Fine fine fine...

Secret Santa Participant
Anime-Planet user name: NarkyOtic
Link to forum user account: HERE
Favorite genres: Ooh... so, LOTS! Pretty much all iterations of metal - and always open to hearing more! Psytrance, electro, minimalist psy, EBM/TBM, noise, hardstyle, some prog house, drum’n’bass, triphop, 80s goth, shoegaze, synthpop, classic rap/r’n’b, folk, ambient, punk (hardcore, none of this emo shiz), stoner/sludge rock, classic rock. There’s probably more but that’s more than enough to work with.
No-go genres: If you send me anything by Poison, Metallica or Megadeth I will hunt you down with an ice cream scoop and an open flame. Not a fan of nu-metal in general but if you’re confident, throw it at me. No modern pop, rap, r’n’b or dubstep.
Okay with explicit lyrics: Fuck oath
Other: Note that I have a pretty ginormous music collection already so don’t be discouraged to recommend anything as outlined - you might even make me listen to something I’ve forgotten about!

Fine fine fine...

Secret Santa Participant
Anime-Planet user name: NarkyOtic
Link to forum user account: HERE
Favorite genres: Ooh... so, LOTS! Pretty much all iterations of metal - and always open to hearing more! Psytrance, electro, minimalist psy, EBM/TBM, noise, hardstyle, some prog house, drum’n’bass, triphop, 80s goth, shoegaze, synthpop, classic rap/r’n’b, folk, ambient, punk (hardcore, none of this emo shiz), stoner/sludge rock, classic rock. There’s probably more but that’s more than enough to work with.
No-go genres: If you send me anything by Poison, Metallica or Megadeth I will hunt you down with an ice cream scoop and an open flame. Not a fan of nu-metal in general but if you’re confident, throw it at me. No modern pop, rap, r’n’b or dubstep.
Okay with explicit lyrics: Fuck oath
Other: Note that I have a pretty ginormous music collection already so don’t be discouraged to recommend anything as outlined - you might even make me listen to something I’ve forgotten about!

If I can't get that hipster @ZetsubouKaiji and recommend all kinds of hipster obscure ass shit, I want Narky.

I was just thinking on this, but huuurgh fiiiiiiiiiiineeee guys. I really didn't believe there'd be enough people for this in the first place since AP really doesn't have that many music enthusiasts which is why I was initially skeptical lol

Anime-Planet user name: HissatsuShoujo
Link to forum user account: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/HissatsuShoujo
Favorite genres: Stoner/doom/sludge metal, Prog/hard rock, no wave, psychedelic rock, early goth, punk, post-punk, anything punk-inflected really, noise rock, alternative, shoegaze, post-rock, stuff that is generally high on energy/bombastic/quirky
No-go genres: Trap rap(Rattling high hats MUST DIE), modern pop, Djent, black metal(Sorry BM folks), folk, country, metalcore, harsh noise, pop punk, Nu-metal, symphonic metal/power metal
Okay with explicit lyrics: I fuck with that
Other: Experimental weird stuff is very fair game to me, for I am nothing but the worst hipster trash. Also the more abrasive the better, except harsh noise. Even I have my limits. Quieter and more ambient material is fine, although I am extremely picky about it.

Last edited:
It's nice to see all the major Review the Song players assembled for this. I don't even care who I get because you all have bitchin' taste and interesting stuff to show (@NarkyOtic disliking Megadeth and putting them next to something as abysmal as Poison breaks my heart a little, but like I would recommend something so basic to any of you).

I don’t want to break your heart, dearest Schizm, disliking those three bands is more associated with horrible people in my past than actually disliking the music. I recently reclaimed Type O Negative from similar circumstances - which is a liberating kind of nostalgia (except Pete Steele also fronted Carnivore, which could get a little cringey with lyrics and themes).

Maybe I’ll reclaim those three one day too (except Poison, because fuck that forever). One day. ^_^

I don’t want to break your heart, dearest Schizm, disliking those three bands is more associated with horrible people in my past than actually disliking the music. I recently reclaimed Type O Negative from similar circumstances - which is a liberating kind of nostalgia (except Pete Steele also fronted Carnivore, which could get a little cringey with lyrics and themes).

Maybe I’ll reclaim those three one day too (except Poison, because fuck that forever). One day. ^_^

Now all I can think of is you hanging out with elitist thrashers (they are unbearable sometimes). Life hasn't kicked me hard enough in the balls yet to be listening to Type O regularly again but I still love to put some songs on from time to time.

Now all I can think of is you hanging out with elitist thrashers (they are unbearable sometimes). Life hasn't kicked me hard enough in the balls yet to be listening to Type O regularly again but I still love to put some songs on from time to time.

Aligning with elitist anything does not make Narky a happy panda ;____;

Back