Secret Santa:Entertainment Movie Board Edition 2019

Well I got 10 movies knocked down, like I did last year and before December even started:

giphy.gif

I think I'll start spending time on the music secret santa stuff.
Ugh, it's like you enjoy movies or something.

Well I got 10 movies knocked down, like I did last year and before December even started:

giphy.gif

I think I'll start spending time on the music secret santa stuff.
You're putting us slackers who haven't finished our first movie to shame. Shaaaaaaaaame!

giphy.gif

But I am halfway through DOA, and it's still pretty wiz. I'll post a review about the jazz piece in the movie thread, and the rest of the movie if I have time. But that entire scene in the Fisherman is tops.

I should watch that short movie I was given, then I'll be able to look down on the people who haven't started.

You're putting us slackers who haven't finished our first movie to shame. Shaaaaaaaaame!

giphy.gif

But I am halfway through DOA, and it's still pretty wiz. I'll post a review about the jazz piece in the movie thread, and the rest of the movie if I have time. But that entire scene in the Fisherman is tops.

I should watch that short movie I was given, then I'll be able to look down on the people who haven't started.
Holy shit, I'm the guy that never watches movies and I'm three ahead of you? Dang, dude, you're like the rest of Europe compared to Sweden in curling.

Holy shit, I'm the guy that never watches movies and I'm three ahead of you? Dang, dude, you're like the rest of Europe compared to Sweden in curling.
It ain't my fault I'm the rest of Europe in ice hockey, Mens or Womens.

But I am getting my flube on with my tunage, listening to that gay Bowie one and the smooth, kinda... muted, like real chill sparse jazz one, it's the kind of music you eat at a fancy restaurant to. But my point is, is that I would not poison you.

Current movie power ranking totals so far, cause I've got no life and it's fun to keep track of it all:

Gens - 12
ZetsubouKaiji - 7
Franconator - 6
Zed60k - 6
Hasse - 4
Vega - 4
Turky - 3
RR - 3
Vuh - 2
Taek - 2
MistLiigh - 2
Schizm - 1
Thrawn - 1
UniversalParanoia - 1

The numbers seem to be getting higher and higher each year. You people are on fire.

Current movie power ranking totals so far, cause I've got no life and it's fun to keep track of it all:

Gens - 12
ZetsubouKaiji - 7
Franconator - 6
Zed60k - 6
Hasse - 4
Vega - 4
Turky - 3
RR - 3
Vuh - 2
Taek - 2
MistLiigh - 2
Schizm - 1
Thrawn - 1
UniversalParanoia - 1

The numbers seem to be getting higher and higher each year. You people are on fire.
My two best buds, @Schizm and @UniversalParanoia1. Everybody else can go to hell.

Gens - 12
ZetsubouKaiji - 7
Franconator - 6
Zed60k - 6
Hasse - 4
Vega - 4
Turky - 3
RR - 3
Vuh - 2
Taek - 2
MistLiigh - 2
Schizm - 1
Thrawn - 1
UniversalParanoia - 1

Imma go up to a 2 this weekend and be the very best like no one ever was. Imma be a Pokémon master

On a cursory glance at my gifts when I first got them I thought the identity of my Santa was obvious. After watching a good chunk of the movies, I'm now not so sure. Whoever it is went to lot of trouble. They didn't simply go pick a bunch of critically acclaimed movies, but then combed through a list of them picking out ones they thought I'd enjoy the most. They did pretty damn good job. If I had to guess they used Roger Ebert's list of important/great movies as a resource. Ebert was a legend and I've read a ton of his stuff. I don't always agree with him, but I respect his passion for film.

I enjoyed all but one movie from my Santa. Job well fucking done to them, that's a great record there.

We can't chastize people in the anime secret santa thread because it's TOS or something now, but

YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE ONLY WATCHED ONE OR LESS OF YOUR PICKS NEED TO STEP THE HECK UP. Please.

Pardon my language.

That's the best part about this SS event being more personal here and knowing each other, we're all free to take the piss out of each as much as we want!

I've only been around for these events twice, but I've found Movie SS to be a lot more personal than Anime SS. I guess it's the smaller target market here that makes it that way, but I find recommending movies to be a much more intimate affair than recommending anime series. I always feel like you have to really know the person you're gifting to really make them happy with their picks. And even if you don't know your recipient that well, at least you can always give recs that'll force them to watch movies they haven't yet. It's a win-win for everyone.

If I had to guess they used Roger Ebert's list of important/great movies as a resource. Ebert was a legend and I've read a ton of his stuff. I don't always agree with him, but I respect his passion for film.

For sure. Ebert writes his essays so well and if there's one thing you can't take away from him, it's his honesty. He has such a way with words that make his pieces look so simple, even if the process is always much more difficult than it looks. His film roasts are legendary, but I've read a few reviews he made for his top-rated movies, and they're just as good.

We can't chastize people in the anime secret santa thread because it's TOS or something now, but

YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE ONLY WATCHED ONE OR LESS OF YOUR PICKS NEED TO STEP THE HECK UP. Please.

Pardon my language.

I agree that it's a bum deal that we can't talk shit about our rat bastard recipient because they're being a rat bastard of varying rattiness bastardliness, because if we aren't calling rat bastards on being rat bastards, are we really building up a community of tight-knit inglorious bastards that can freely call shit on each other like them TV shows? But those who watched only one pick that aren't in educaumations with their exams and shit? They can roll in a ditch.

I don't pardon my language because nuts to those who I didn't give an out for, or one of them exemptions for.

I enjoyed all but one movie from my Santa. Job well fucking done to them, that's a great record there.

That's the best part about this SS event being more personal here and knowing each other, we're all free to take the piss out of each as much as we want!

That's a damn good job your SS did because you're one of the biggest taste makers here and probably watch as much movies as @ZetsubouKaiji, whomst I call a hipster out of love, and him being a hipster.

Very personal, you can't just pick picks like picking nose. Picking anime? That's easy. We know what people watched before and can more easily judge them on their shit taste because admittedly, people's taste in anime is shit. I can say that because mine is shit. But anyway, we don't know what people here have watched in movies, and you don't want them to watch a bunch of rewatches and shit unless it's beloved movies or some shit so you gotta get into their head, decipher from what they post the type of movie they would dig, be all Hercule Poirot and use them little grey cells, or Sherlock Holmes or Miss Marple that shit. You pick not the best, but the best to their taste. It ain't like picking from the top 100 of all-time rated movies or all Nicolas Cage movies whose acting style is reminiscent of old-school cartoons or movies where actions showed more than words or kabuki style of theater while taking a lot of cocaine, it's picking from the heart, where you lay everything bare for them, saying "This is all I have, for you."

I love this as much as albums, which is pretty much the same statement as the above.

I've only been around for these events twice, but I've found Movie SS to be a lot more personal than Anime SS. I guess it's the smaller target market here that makes it that way, but I find recommending movies to be a much more intimate affair than recommending anime series. I always feel like you have to really know the person you're gifting to really make them happy with their picks. And even if you don't know your recipient that well, at least you can always give recs that'll force them to watch movies they haven't yet. It's a win-win for everyone.

For sure. Ebert writes his essays so well and if there's one thing you can't take away from him, it's his honesty. He has such a way with words that make his pieces look so simple, even if the process is always much more difficult than it looks. His film roasts are legendary, but I've read a few reviews he made for his top-rated movies, and they're just as good.

My ninja, the smaller market that is only known to a select few and yet still announced in profile posts, where only the most cultured, attractive, intellectual and attractive people would join. And it remains small, even though it's namedropped and mentioned daily, and the closeness is tops, just like albums again. You think real hard on your picks, and constantly email revisions to the host but only a few people that definitely aren't me do that, because that is certainly not me and I never, ever did that. You could also judge a person by the movies they rec, gives you more insight into the predicted individual and when it's revealed, you then understand everything.

And people here actually post updates on their picks. I'm totally talking shit about Anime SS people in this regard, just so there's no misunderstandings.

I remember his two articles on The Big Sleep (1946) The Sweet Smell of Success (1957), two of the best noirs out there. He wrote some top-notch stuff on the classics.

Still haven't watched Zatoichi and Kagemusha from my list. They're pretty long so I'm still kinda waiting for a chance to sit down with them.

Kinda bummed out that I can't seem to find Kuro Obi anywhere but YT in potato quality and not on BD/DVD for cheap either. It's definitely the most obscure film on the list. If push comes to shove I'll just roll a fat spliff to blur my vision and watch it on YT.

Back