Searching for tags/genres on Anime-Planet has never been easier!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Jun 18, 2020.

1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Jun 18, 2020
    We have hundreds of carefully curated anime, manga, and character tags on Anime-Planet. So many that it can be hard to find a quick listing for your favorites. We've launched a name search option to the tag browse pages that dynamically filters down the tag results as you type:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screenshots show our new dark mode

We'll eventually get this dynamic search option added to the main anime, manga, and character browse pages, but for now this should make it easier to find your favorite tags, and mark them loved or hated.

When viewing the full list of tags, you can also mark them loved or hated. This information appears via our bot in the Anime-Planet Discord server, as well as factors into the recommendations algorithm.

[​IMG]

You can use the database submission section if you have ideas for new tags, or tags you'd like to add or remove from entries on Anime-Planet.

Thanks, as always, for your support of Anime-Planet

2. AnimeJunkee

AnimeJunkee Database Moderator

Woot! :love:

3. NekusS

NekusS Member

Posted by NekusS on Jun 18, 2020
    This is already pretty cool, Great Job! And sounds like it will get even better:
    But could you also extend it to "browse by studios"? I think it would be helpful there as well.

Estarr, BasicOtaku, LilCub and 2 others like this.
  4. Halex

Halex Member

Posted by Halex on Jun 18, 2020
    This is awesome!

5. Halex

Halex Member

Posted by Halex on Jun 18, 2020
    It will also be great if you could add the ability to love/hate the tag, on the tag page itself, for example, if you go to the zombies' tag currently there is no way to mark it as love/hate.

It will also be hepful if your love/hate tags appear in your profile, similar to how they do in Discord server. This may help choose people to follow, as you'll see who has similar tastes.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  6. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Jun 18, 2020
    We definitely plan to rethink the love/hate button placement and other elements in the full redesign. As for the tags, they are currently accessible with the "I <3" and corresponding hate text in the subnav. But, ideally they'd be better displayed.

Mayank, Halex, BasicOtaku and 2 others like this.
  7. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

This is great!

8. ferengi4

ferengi4 New Member

When can we expect tags like "sequel" "spin-off" added to searches? It's annoying when I am looking for new manga to read and half the stuff that survives my filtering are sequels to things I already marked as "Wont Read" or things I dropped. Would love to see that added :) Cheers

greddo, OkamiHime95 and NekusS like this.
  9. Otakuch

Otakuch Member

POGGERS this is fucking awesome.:frustrat::frustrat::laugh:

10. kenmastesdx2

kenmastesdx2 New Member

I think the "Male protagonist" tag is missing

11. MaxwellCoffeeCat

MaxwellCoffeeCat Well-Known Member

Ooooo! New updates are always exctiting, you guys always outdo yourselves!
    I'll have to look through this deeper, but from what I can see by quickly browsing through it, it looks great!

(I also find it really funny that sports is the most hated tag, seeing as we all spend our time alone in dark rooms watching anime at ungodly times in the morning, lol)

LilCub likes this.
  12. SkillaKappa

SkillaKappa New Member

But when are you adding hentai in here? :cereal:

13. Grizz

Grizz Database Moderator

Posted by Grizz on Jun 20, 2020
  14. thenewnoobguest

thenewnoobguest New Member

Fantastic

15. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Database Moderator

Creating Male/Female Protagonist tags would be no easy task. The site currently has around 14,600 anime entries and 50,500 manga entries that would have to be gone through, and the overall usefulness of these tags is questionable. Male protagonists can be fantasy heroes, male animals living in a pet shop, people transitioning from female-to-male in LGBT stories, old men in historical dramas, kids in children's anime, space aliens, ect. Not to mention the main characters in every single yaoi ever. And then there are stories where it's up for debate who the actual protagonist is. Basically, these tags would be a lot of work for our limited staff, and how useful it would actually be to group together such a diverse amount of content is debatable. It would be better in my opinion for users to make custom lists of the particular type of content (examples: Best Isekai Featuring Male Protagonists, Great Adventure Stories Featuring Female Protagonists, ect.) which could be publicly featured on the site.

Mayank likes this.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  16. josephine123

josephine123 New Member

noice!

17. josephine123

josephine123 New Member

I'm so happy!

Mayank likes this.
  18. Toshigatachi

Toshigatachi New Member

This is great, but I really think it should also exist on the search all. Also, add autocomplete for the tag that brings up may 3 tags that it thinks you are trying to type/find.

19. NatsumeJinko

NatsumeJinko Member

This is my favorite website to add anime to my list or search for new ones, or even seasonal stuff, and this is like a cherry on top of that. Amazing work. Thank you.

20. Aniosophy

Aniosophy New Member

Wow this is great, you guys are doing a fantastic job updating the site, keep up the great work:frustrat: