School-Live!

Re: Gakkou Gurashi!

Episode 3.
I officially hate this show. More specifically, I hate Yuki. She's like pre-badass Carl from The Walking Dead, only worse. I'm out.

2 out of 5.

3:
Was hoping the story behind how things became they way they are would be more interesting then this. Also we get it, the teacher is deader than dead

Episode 3:

Well thing may not have worked out between Kurumi and her crush, but at least it lead to her meeting Shovel-kun.

Episode 3

I'm glad we finally got to see the beginning of the outbreak. A lot of focus on Megu-nee this episode and more of Kurumi's past. Now we just need some Miki backstory, which looks like it'll happen next week, judging by the preview.

With this episode being so heavily focused on Megu-nee, I expect we'll see how she died before long. At least, I hope they don't keep this up until the end. I think just about everyone expects her to be dead at this point.

Gj6ygxql.png
Miki seems to be the only girl that still refers to Megu-nee as a teacher, going as far as to correct herself to "Megu-nee" this episode. It was mentioned that they found her at a mall where she was surviving on her own, so I'm guessing that Megu-nee might have died there, before Miki got the chance to really know her.

Also, Yuki seemed aware of what was happening on the roof, so I'm thinking she lost her marbles after the trauma of Megu-nee dying.

Episode 3

Yay - is slight backstory time. Backstory is best story.
So it is more or less confirmed that the teacher is dead and a figment of Yuki's imagination, and her death (along with those around her) caused the hallucination/break with reality. We also get to see what happened with Kurumi's crush and how she got said shovel in more detail.

Is rather interesting to see how they keep some semblence of normal life amongst the carnage.

Ep 4.....

mixed feelings on this episode.....

Ok.........funny how Miki's friend was the most optimistic one of the two and the first one to start going crazy and losing hope. She's kind of a bitch but I can kind of understand her........

that aside since nothing about it really bothered me........ the girls at the school's decision to leave seemed to come out of nowhere. Why are they allowing themselves to be lead by the delusional girl?............hold on, I have to Watch that stupid sequence again....*watches*

Ok so the key line I guess is, "plus we need stuff we can't get around here".........I'd like them to specify on that because even in the present, the school doesn't look close to going short on food supplies.............it's a use your imagination kind of thing I guess, but I'm drawing a complete blank on what was worth going to such extreme and dangerous lengths for.

Originally, I was thinking, maybe they were just trying to escape...........but in whatever the case, I guess I'd like to see the pain individuals start such a plan in motion.........

I'm starting to get the feeling that the Megunee reveal will be one of the last things they do so we just have to live with the she's not really there cues until that time comes, But at this point, they are laying it on extra thick so I think they expect people to have fully realized it by now.

I guess we can see why the dog doesn't like Miki...................I was thinking it was Yuki's dog all along though....... I like the fact that her friend wasn't officially killed so she might show up again.......she does have a bit of a strong will......I'm mean from what we have seen from Kurumi, even a highs cool moe girl can survive in this world if she has a strong will and a shovel, so heres to hoping Miki's friend picks up a shovel from a tool shop on her way out of the mall.

Edit: thinking about some stuff more..............

The way they brush off those news cast, this episode and the last is kind of annoying.

also, it makes some sense that Kurumi can rape through the zombies at the school, cause they are primarily child sized.........we'll see how she handles the adults on the outside.......

Last edited:

Episode 4:

This was the best episode so far.
I thought this one really captured the right mix of moe and horror that makes the manga such an enjoyable read. I like that it finally starts to show Yuki isn't completely unaware of the situation. She knows that they need supplies which makes her request a club trip. It's a neat little bit of characterization for her and it starts to show she is the real heart of this group. If it wasn't for Yuki's delusion the girls might have lost it long ago. Taking care of Yuki gives them one little bit of normalcy in a world gone mad.

The slice of life scenes work really well when juxtaposed with the growing hopeless of Miki and Kei's situation. It was quite melancholic to watch as things there fell apart of Kei's optimism slow turned into despair. The pacing was spot on and it felt like a genuine slide rather than a sudden rushed turn.

As for the news reports in the background I don't think it's strange no one would pay attention to them. The reports are just a part of the background noise in their every day lives. It's not like most people would pay any special attention to them when everything seems fine. I think it's one of the more realistic aspects of the series people would just go on with their lives until the disaster effected them directly for the most part because a disaster like this would feel pretty damn unreal. Also, all the characters are pretty young and wouldn't have reason or interest to pay special attention to the news.

Episode 4

Nice mix of cute (moe) and horror, while filling in more backstory for the characters. Does not seem easy at all to pull off, but it was here. Was interesting to see how Miki changed from before the disaster to after it; especially after she lost her friend. 'Course, the slide into said despair was done nicely, too - you could tell it was over the period of days/weeks instead of an all-in-one shot.

Ehh...otherwise, yeh - Yuki is slightly aware of everything, but only just. As ZK said - they're most likely held together by her delusion and trying to preserve said 'normalcy'.

As for what you said, Tootalls,
most people don't "care" care about the news unless it's something which affects them directly. At the same time, there's always so many reports of attacks, murders, and the like covered, so something described as a riot wouldn't garner too too much attention.

Also, still say they need some better weapons other than a shovel.

Exactly. Doesn't seem like they have large amounts of medical supplies, and it was partially hinted there was a lack of food. The seeds they have for the garden can only last so long; same with the fertilizer and soils, meaning those will eventually have to be replaced as well. Also, soap technically can go under medical supplies because it removes potentially harmful bacteria and viruses.

Allow me to elaborate on my problems.............

Thanks to ZK's hint, I guess I can see Yuki subconsciously making moves for different reasons than what comes out of her mouth, and by the fact the other girls called her proactive, I guess they felt that way as well..........

Complaint time........Leading up to Yuki's request for a club trip, they made a big deal about being on the last can of some meat shit or something. So when they turn the trip into a supply gathering thing, it doesn't really matter what we come up with on possible needs, they focused on food as the thing that motivated them to gather supplies.

Now, go back to the second episode...........events that included Miki so they took place after she was collected. With in the school, they found a lot of food material. Now they may not have been any of the specific canned good thing that Yuki was ecstatic about, but in survival you have to prioritize need over want. I'd imagine there would be a lot of medical equipment in say a school nurse's office as well.........just saying. And without any glaring injuries we can conceive from the main 3 girls at that point, I can't see them thinking they needed anything else so much that they would have to look beyond the school grounds with the pike sized zombies.

Next, They choose to be lead by the most immature and mentally unstable member of the group. They go to extreme lengths to protect her delusionary world. I get the fact that it might calm them to have one dumb ass to take care of like a child but lets look at the dangers that comes along with doing that...........

It complicates the escape plan. Yuuri has to spend up her mental capacity feeding Yuki's delusions in the midst of danger outside of the safe zone so that Yuki doesn't drift back fully into reality. In such a crucial time, when she should be high on self preservation, paying 100% attention to her surroundings, she stuck needing to be extremely close to Yuki's dumb ass so that she doesn't go the wrong way or something, and her sharpness drops 2 notches by needing to watch both their backs and feed delusions simultaneously.

WOuldn't it be wiser to tell Yuki to shut the fuck up and open her eyes? Yuki isn't injured, it would be better on her and Yuuri's self preservation if they didn't have to be linked by the hip like a mother and small child while outside of the safe zone.

Also once again, I would have liked to see a plan to go through such a danger be decided by one of the more mentally stable members..........."Yuki is out of her favorite canned food, oh no!!!! we NEED to get moar noe!" just doesn't work for me.

They are given a plethora of opportunities to bring yuki back to the real world but they elect to feed the delusions instead, that makes their group overall more vulnerable.

I'm waiting on the flashback that shows the moment Yuki became delusional, maybe then I would be more understanding to why they choose to accept that mental state, rather than correct it.

Oh and a random thing about Anna's supposed shopping list......
I'm pretty sure most of the practical stuff could be found on school grounds....... as for dog food and better weapons against zombies............1. they didn't have the dog so it wouldn't be on the list................2. in the present clips, they are all still worthless against the Zombies except for Kurumi who of course, is still using the shovel........so I don't think that even crossed their mind.

Yeah I kind of get that, but can't completely relate, This has to be the 1st zombie related anime show I've watched , so I really don't know who's being hypocritical exactly...........

just wanted to elaborate a little more on my personal problems with it.......

He means me calling the characters on the Walking Dead a pack of idiots, but accepting Yuki on this show, but as far as I'm concerned they are two different kinds of stories with different goals so what's acceptable on one isn't on another. Simply comparing them because they both have zombies ignore a lot of intricacies about both shows.

Gakkou is a story about a group of teenagers and a more psychological story. Yuki does indeed cause trouble but her value is in a completely different area. She's terrible for the group in the survival sense, but there's also the quality of life issue.

It's not just how they survive but the quality of what they've got. It would get pretty depressing to live from day to day just doing the basics of survival with nothing else to look forward to, it's a pretty miserable existence that would eat at anyone. After a while the survival bit becomes a routine and then it becomes a soul crushing existence. Just imagine your life but with no internet, no entertainment, probably almost none of your loved ones and mostly confined to where ever you're holed up. You can live like that, but would you really want to? I would hardly calling it living, more like existing just for the sake of it. I think there is value in surviving existing, but I can also see how it would eat away at you. These are teenage girls and they cling to the delusion as their mental refuge. It's the only thing that really holds them together. Miki doesn't understand at first, but even she comes to see the value of it. Even if it's only for a little while they can pretend they are living a more normal and more fulfilling life. Sometimes delusions can be a good thing.

In the Walking Dead the characters usually do dumb shit to move the plot along. I won't elaborate much on it more than that because I quit watching the show two seasons ago and don't really care about it anymore. WD doesn't have any of psychological stuff going on, the characters are mostly adults and more importantly their immediate survival isn't always assured. The girls in Gakkou are pretty safe in the school, they did have to make a supply run but they still have a safe place to go back to. In WD the show is usually about them finding and then losing safety and a good amount of time they just don't have the same security for lots of reasons. The WD is also a more story driven drama anyway.

So bite me Brad.

So after watching about all the episodes to date, I'm pretty happy so far that after the bad first episode, this show seems to have really been gaining it's footing now. They're doing a great job I think with how they've been compressing the material to get the main points across and I honestly feel like I don't have much to complain about here since there's just no way they could have fit that all in properly and paced it well given the time span.

If I'm actually honest as well, this is probably one of the only shows I've been enjoying at the moment this summer since mostly everything else has flopped for me and I genuinely hope it can keep it up.

By the way, on that note, loved the ED and song this episode. Then again, I am a sucker for noir style kind of endings so not a surprise there hah.

Back