SAKUGAN

9:
After last week's dumpster fire, this series doing it's best impression of Gilligan's Island (in which everyone but Memepoo fails to recognize the difference between having an argument with someone and being shot at and nearly murdered by hem) isn't quite the secret sauce we needed. It didn't even do a particularly good job of that either
>we don't have basic ass survival tools stored somewhere in our giant robot meant for surveying unknown territory
>fuck knows how many meters of wiring and hundreds if not thousands of zinc and copper electrodes? No problem I'll whip these up right now

It would have been nice to have this be an oppurtunity for Memepoo to grow up a little, realizing the limits to how far her intelligence can take her when she can't rely on google or wikipedia while having to rely on the knowledge and effort of the stupid adults she's surrounded by, but considering how they were ultimately able to leave through her idea anyway, I have too little faith in this to assume she won't just go back to hyping up just how gosh darn kashikoi she is without a hint of irony..

Last edited:
Episode 9:

This has been a chore to watch, especially after last week.

We do see one kaiju for like a couple of seconds and that's it. They did acknowledge how quick Gagumber and Zackletu made up but it's still crap.

*sighs* No point dropping this now. Might as well see it through the end.

I wasn't sure what to do with this show after what we could charitably call an exceptionally lackluster episode last week... but between feeling no desire to watch this week's and seeing the reactions here... it sounds like "cut my losses and not waste any more time on this disappointing show" is probably the right call.

Damn, that's a shame... but it just refused to do fucking anything with the things that solid first episode made us want, and that's a problem. Maybe if it had been what it is from the start, I'd like it more, or at the very least my hopes wouldn't have had as far to fall.

Episode 10:
A good chunk of the first half is nothing but exposition dump. All this info should have been revealed earlier and more naturally instead of laying it all once in one episode after spending the majority of the show just dicking around. It feels forced and it's just plain bad writing.

Oh, and the show remembered it's a mecha anime. Cool, I guess. But still no kaiju fight after the first two episodes? What the hell? Stop blue balling us. Stop giving us glimpses of kaiju if you don't intend to have a good mecha kaiju scuffle. Really chaps my hide.

10:

>episode 10 infodump and formal introduction of the "bad guys"
Damn, I'm flashing back to WEP.

The first 10 minutes was an extremely dry explanation of the setting that we somehow haven't learned sufficiently enough about this far in. With some weak justification for why this underground authoritarian regime is a good thing, actually (you WILL accept the chip implants, you WILL have no freedom, and you will like it).

wFNORGa.png

Yeah right, this story has done nothing but reinforce the fact that, even for as much of a genius as she is, she does need protection from others and really shouldn't be the sole decision maker regarding the well-being of others and herself. Thankfully for her the evil kidnapping cultists weren't smart enough to know not to strike when the band of travellers they've been following are in a literal stronghold with only two people. On top of that, the one tasked with the kidnapping could cut a bullet in half with quick twitch reflexes but couldn't detect a large, bumbling man that's 10+ beers deep taking a wild swing at her while running at full speed

Just as how I think Memepoo isn't as smart as she's gassed up to be, I don't think Gagumber is really all that dumb, or as bad of a father either. Like seriously.....
yoTECsa.jpg

...I thought we were past this point already.

Last edited:
Episode 11:
This is a one cour show, right? For a penultimate episode, this felt a bit...filler-ish. Only time the show put its foot on the gas was during the post-credit scene and it was pretty bad. There's no way they're gonna be able to wrap up all these plot threads next week. Unless they're announcing a second cour then I'm expecting a pretty bad, rushed wrap-up next week.

In the end, we never had an episode as good as the first two. Started out strong but petered out especially near the end. Just so much missed potential and ideas. Got so many threads and subplots going on but the show didn't wrap any of them. The last ep even gave us more questions.

Overall, a mediocre show. Not a complete train wreck, it was just... there. Also, still no fucking kaijus.

I give it a 2.5 out of 5.

A second season is hinted but I dunno if I wanna pick that up...

12:

The finale sure did reveal a lot but accomplished little. Given how unpopular this anime is I don't think we'll see any more of this series and at this point I'm pretty sure I can live with that.

You know, if that 12th episode was like... episode... three? Then this would have had potential. I don't know why the show had to Saku so much gon for 9 straight episodes but the last one was decent. I guess. Too bad I just can't be invested anymore.

The name actually means Sacks & Guns, but a gun to the sack sounds way more fun than most of this show was.

5/10

Just finished ep8 and I have to say this show really bothers me. I want to love it, since the premise reminds me of Made in Abyss, but this is more like if Abyss had no balls. I say this because every time it seems there is going to be real stakes or consequences for anyone in the show they are just like: "NA it's all good, let's just keep moving, we have a sort of plot to get through!"

Makes it hard to feel like anyone is in any real danger.

Back