Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan TV

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by chii, Jun 29, 2016.

1. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Jun 29, 2016
  2. Scruffy8642

Scruffy8642 Active Member

Wow, this was everything I expected it to be. Very well done and am excited for more.

Probably a good idea to wait for the end of week compilations though. 5 min episodes that cut in the middle of scenes are a bit of a pain...

3. HissatsuShoujo

HissatsuShoujo Database Moderator

I'm kind of confused about this one, is this a short? Or are they're actually going to be legitimate full length episodes? I've really been hearing various different things about this....

4. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

I think it's similar with Azumanga Daioh when it first aired. Five episodes each day of the week then and a "compiled" full 20 minute episode on the weekend. I could be wrong.

5. Damias

Damias Database Moderator

Posted by Damias on Jul 7, 2016
    There's 2 variations. The shorts which airs every Mon-Fri and a regular length of the 5 episodes every Sunday.

6. Shidira

Shidira Member

Posted by Shidira on Jul 8, 2016
    I'm loving this series. A fun and neat idea for an interesting story. Can't wait to see where this one goes!

7. Scruffy8642

This is weird. They're doing entire chapters in 5 minutes but it doesn't feel rushed? I just had a look at some of the chapters that were covered in the last few episodes and they had pretty much everything in them. Why can no other series do this?

8. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

I'm so glad they've decided to go with the shorts format for this!
    Forcing it to be 20-minute episodes would just have been painful in the long run.

9. HissatsuShoujo

HissatsuShoujo Database Moderator

After having watched some of the shorts, I think you'll actually enjoy this a lot BB, J.C. Staff is nailing this adaptation as far as I'm concerned. Although, it's kind of weird how they introduced Teruhashi pretty early and skipped a bunch of chapters in between the 4th and 5th episode. Maybe they're just rearranging things though, at least I hope so anyway.

10. Etue

Etue Database Moderator

Posted by Etue on Jul 10, 2016
    Episode 1

This was an alright comedy and honestly I think going by the quality of the pacing in this that this has way more potential of not becoming stale than Sakamoto-kun had and proved.

11. Scruffy8642

I'm hoping they'll come back to them. It does make sense to introduce all the characters first, so hopefully they do that and then go back. Let's face it, there's not much point in skipping chapters of an episodic comedy like this. Unless they're skipping ones they judge as being subpar.

12. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Episode 1:

I think I'll try to watch the short episodes that come out daily from now on because twenty minutes of this all at once is waaay too much. It's not funny or clever enough to sustain my interest for that long. The execution of the humor is just fine, but the material isn't all that amusing to me. I found some of the jokes to be okay, but nothing in the whole twenty minutes made me laugh out loud. I usually like this quirky type of humor, but this just wasn't scratching that itch very well. I'll still watch because comedies can take a little time to find their feet and this episode might have just been weak because it had to introduce both the characters and the premise. There's definitely potential here, but it's going to have to do better.

The segment with the chuunibyou was the most enjoyable bit of the episode. It was pretty amusing to realize that he probably ended up fucking up that kid's entire life by feeding his delusions.

Then the last segment lost me again with how predictable it was. It didn't help that Sakamoto did a much funnier version of this in its second episode.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  13. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 6-9

As I thought watching this as a short once a day is a much better option than waiting for the dump at the end of the week. It helps that the skits are getting much funnier as the show goes along, but I still don't really want to watch more a than a few minutes at a time.

The dodge ball episodes were an okay send up of the sports genre, but that's pretty low hanging fruit. The show really started to shine in the next two episodes. The ninth episode was my favorite so far. I really enjoy how outright douchebagy both of his parents are. They're both completely willing to exploit their son whenever possible. I am starting to think the problem isn't so much that his powers come with downsides as much as he's just surrounded by shitty people. Although it's probably all the worse because he probably knows all the details of his parent's sex life. The episode was thinking the same thing when they promised to make him a new brother or sister.

Both the eighth and ninth episode had good build up with situations that start out sort of normal, but then quickly turn the dial up to 11, whether it be the increasingly absurd lengths he's willing to take to avoid the girl's crush or his parents manipulative demands.

14. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 10:

So he's turned his world into an anime. Clever. This episode is pretty funny in the way it pokes fun at its main character showing that he's not perfect either as he goes on and on about changing the world being "minor" changes. He's clearly got his own blindspots.

15. Scruffy8642

After watching a full episode at once, I now realise that it's too much. The shows too fast paced and is more enjoyable to watch each short separately.

Ep 12
    Really liked this episode. It showed that Saiki isn't entirely overpowered and even he has limits. And of course he gets the drama spoiled after going through all that. Truly a disastrous life in a hilarious way.

16. Scruffy8642

Episode 25:

Props to the translator, that would have been hell. So. Many. Puns.

17. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 41:

This episode had the most romantic dialogue ever:

Compared to you
    [​IMG]
    Gotta try this line on my wife.

I was laughing my ass off at all the gross metaphors this episode.

This show has turned out to be a nice little five minute treat on weekdays.

HissatsuShoujo likes this.
  18. Scruffy8642

This show just keeps getting funnier! Definitely a hidden gem of the season. Teruhashi's brother :laugh:.

19. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 47:

This episode surprised me. I was not expecting those pussy jokes or for this to turn into hardcore NTR. Needless to say the episode had me rolling.

[​IMG]
    Anp is an unpleasant shit, but I can always identify with a fellow assman.

[​IMG]
    Aren't we all bro.

Scruffy8642 likes this.
  20. Scruffy8642

I'm still questioning whether all the pussy stuff was intended or if it was just made 10x funnier because it was translated. One of the better episodes regardless. Sai and his super powered bitch slaps XD.

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.