Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend 2

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by chii, Feb 9, 2017.

1. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Feb 9, 2017
  2. commonxreaction

commonxreaction Well-Known Member

Ah, the fan service. I really don't remember too many specifics about the first season, but I do remember that the Episode 0 from the first season was full of fan service as well.

Nothing wrong with that though. Pretty good stuff, but I'm looking forward to digging into the actual series.

3. tootalls

tootalls Well-Known Member

yes, an episode 0 was also the low point in the 1st season. the show was a lot stronger during the team building phase where there was time for dialogue between few characters at a time. I fair the show will be dragged down as a full blown Harem with all the characters together from the onset............hopefully not

4. commonxreaction

I feel like I need to read a synopsis of the first season or something, because I have very little idea as to what is going on. I'm not even sure if I'm remembering the events from the correct first season... I might be thinking of a different series entirely.

This being an episode based around the past really isn't helping with remembering what happened in the previous season... @[email protected]

Not to mention the plot in general, but specifically, I have very little recollection of the main character. I kind of vaguely remember him being an advocate for games, light novels, and manga... and wanting to create something? (Seeing as that's the plot...)

In regards to the episode, I felt like it did a bad job of pulling us in, as it kind of just continued from where it left off and assumed we'd remember everything. Granted, watching this right after the first season would probably fetch a better rating, but at the same time, it's been awhile... they should've taken that into consideration.

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
  5. tootalls

I also was having a hard time remembering what it was about this show I liked, though I was fairly hyped for this so naturally I guess I remember more than you do.

to summarize, glasses-kun isa big anime nerd who wants to make a game. his child-hood friend (blonde chick) was chosen by him to do the illustrations for the game.

Everyone else was also chosen by him. His incestuous blue haired cousin (not in this episode but was in episode 0) is in charge of the music, and the black haired leggins girl is the writer.

The main heroine is Kato who has a "boring" personality, and the premise was to make a game were she's interesting or some shit.

I think what I liked about the series was Kato herself, her personality and wit, were some of my favorite things from the 1st season, so far, not enough focus on her......

6. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

I haven't started the second season, but what I remember the most about the first is that I really liked Kato and that I really hated Eri.

7. commonxreaction

I remember wanting to hear more about game design, and not really getting too much of that, lol...
    I can't imagine i'll get any more out of this season than I got out of last season. I can dream though... I can dream.

8. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Two episodes in and I'm struggling to remember why I found this to be an okay watch. Other than Kato the characters are fucking annoying and the little bit of clever dialogue there is about storytelling and anime tropes isn't nearly enough to cover for all the annoying bullshit. Especially when most of the episodes just play out the type of tropes that the dialogue is commenting on.

Eri is completely awful in the second episode following all the tropes and cringe-y cliches of stalking people and getting jealous of their "date."

Utaha and Mr. Ethical's date isn't much better, since she's playing her character type to the bone and the little bit of insight she gives as an author isn't interesting enough to carry me through. The insightful parts of her dialogue are nearly as smart or unique as the script wants me to think they are.

tootalls and AdmiralMuffin like this.
  9. tootalls

yeah..............................this has sucked so far, I don't feel like I accomplished anything after watching these episodes, well nothing but the chore itself.

idk what it is, the characters seem to be the same, perhaps the focus is just too heavy on the weak points and not enough on the strong points. Or maybe the show was just more interesting in the 1st season because they all seemed to be pushing towards the goal. Now it seems like the goal wasn't making a game, the goal was actually assembling the harem we currently have, and talks of the game is just a common subject matter while the true focus is the terrible harem itself.........

10. commonxreaction

I couldn't begin to comprehend what was happening in this opening scene. I vaguely remember that guy... antagonisty guy? After they mentioned his group, I more remember them from the previous season. Either way, both attempts at breaking the "tension" were pretty much a miss for me.

The jist being that MC's Group is being pressured, so perhaps the series will take a turn and focus on game development! Huzzah! Based on how we're focusing on the meaning behind the scripts, I'm guessing not though... Although, this making the new script playable is actually semi interesting, and overall, a good idea in terms of comparing the two.

The morning after, and scene with the band wasn't bad, it felt like less of a drag compared to a lot of the other content in all the episodes so far. I dare say it reminded me more of the first season. So, I'll consider that a glimmer of hope.

Okay... the after the credit scene is just trolling us now. Not only had they pumped out 2 scripts, but now they are saying it needs more work. We're just spinning our wheels now... What is this show trying to accomplish? @[email protected]

tootalls likes this.
  11. tootalls

Yeah this was the best episode so far with glimpses of what was good about the 1st season.

a heavy dose of Kato and actual focus on the game.............though it's related to the Harem, all cues point to the new heroine representing Utaha, and the original representing Kato. the director choosing would be an indirect way of choosing one of those girls. Which is why he decided to take the easy way out and not choose either.

12. ZetsubouKaiji

Don't agree that he took the easy way out. Utaha wrote the stories with ulterior motives and it probably compromised the quality of her work. It took a lot of balls for him to criticize the work of someone he admires and give his honest reaction. Utaha and Eri are using the game to work out their feelings, but he's actually trying to make a good game.

tootalls likes this.
  13. commonxreaction

Why take progress seriously when it can be used to push the harem?
    Well, at least they didn't go down that route. I was a little worried there in the beginning.

We actually got some focus on writing and game development, so that was pretty interesting. Not to mention... dem titties. :megusta:

This just makes me hate the main character all over again though. Although, I might just hate harem genres in general. I still think that kind of falls to the protagonist though, because if he didn't suck so hard, he could just pick someone instead of being aloof and unresponsive.

I had completely forgotten that song that played during the dance existed. I think I blocked it out of my memory because doing that dancing crap in elementary school was the worst.

14. commonxreaction

The opening started out amusing, so maybe that will continue with the rest of the episode? Here's hoping...
    At least they acknowledged that Tomoya is the worst.

The flow of this episode was much better than the previous ones in this season. There was also a lot more give and take with all the characters. I found myself quite amused at many of the interactions, even laughing. I don't know what they did before they did this episode, but it was clearly the thing they need to be doing before very episode.

Granted, this episode probably could of done without Tomoya's melodrama. Hopefully that doesn't become too much of a pivotal point in the next episode. I really am not looking forward to next week if we're going to focus on Eriri being sick because she overworked herself.

15. interregnum

interregnum Well-Known Member

I actually missed episode 0. Had to go back. Wasn't disappointed. (Though, not as good as the first episode 0. To me.)
    If I wasn't pulling for Eriri before (...I was, of course, but if I wasn't), I'd definitely be pulling for her now.

She's not my favorite of the girls, but I think she's the one who deserves to...I don't know if "win" is the right word for it, given that the prize is Tomoya, but she's my pick to be the last one standing. And this episode was another instance--maybe even the most explicit instance--of why: all the other girls like Tomoya because he makes them feel special; Eriri likes him because he makes her feel like herself.

Notice how easily--and without inducing the typical harem-hero-freakout--Eriri just cuddled up with Tomo while they were gaming. It was the most natural thing in the world, to them.

Take that, Kato.
    Overall, another good episode. Though there wasn't nearly enough blatantly self-aware fanservice, in this one. (Good thing I caught up on episode 0, then.)

16. commonxreaction

This episode ended up being better than what my expectations were.
    It seems like every episode the past couple of weeks has been like that, so I guess I can chalk the beginning up to just poor transition.

I did enjoy the gaming moment with Eriri and Tomoya, they certainly seemed like a cute couple in this episode. I honestly didn't care one bit that Kato peaced out at the end there. That's just one less person for the harem, as far as I care.

The only gripe I had with this is, wasn't this the second time they've only released a demo? Of the same game? What the hell are they doing? How long does this series plan to drag its feet and milk the same game? Especially after making such a big deal out of the events of the last couple weeks, redoing scripts and adding new art. Can't we move on?

Anyway, this is turning out to be not as bad as it was coming off at Episode 1.

17. interregnum

Kato is clearly playing the long game--and playing it like a cold-blooded pro: seemingly above the fray, letting her enemies exhaust themselves, passive-aggressively playing Tomoya's insecurities. I...well, I kinda don't like her. I mean, I like her most fundamental role (as the girl you forget is there) because she's a great element for humor, usually, but her (entirely justified) stomp-off at the end does nothing for me. So what if she leaves? I mean, I know she's not quitting, but I wouldn't care if she did. In terms of the romance, she's just an irritating villain. To me, I mean. I know she's supposed to be the main heroine...but, then again, the show's as much a deconstruction of the genre as it is the epitome of the genre, so being the main heroine you don't want to win--and who doesn't win--might be the whole point.

And I wasn't even sure exactly what it was that they even put together for the convention. Is it a crap version of the game? An extended demo? A second demo? Regardless, it's padding to keep the overall story going, of course. Not the worst example of extending the story in an anime, though, so...I'm fine with it--if the quality level keeps up.

18. ZetsubouKaiji

Counter point Eriri is awful and dating her would be misery incarnate. Same with Utaha. They're interesting as characters, but awful as people. Kato at least wouldn't drive you up a damn wall, because she's actually somewhat well adjusted. Kato isn't the girl that you'd want to go after in the game, because it'd be too normal, but in the 3D world, she's the only viable option.

The last three episodes have been decent. I'm glad they were able to turn things around from those awful initial episodes.

19. interregnum

Interesting! I wouldn't have though to read it that way.

I mean, yes, Utaha and Eriri are definitely the ones you'd go for "in the game," as it were--in that they are, as you said, more interesting and, therefore, more likely to draw your attention than no-personality-as-personality Kato. But that our openly rivalrous (stop it, autocorrect, it is to a real word!) girls are awful and would be miserable to date in real life...I dunno. I mean, without de-exaggerating their anime-amplified personalities, I don't think anyone would have the energy or patience to deal with any of them, really. But, regardless, I don't see Kato as particularly more well-adjusted than the others; she's just more...controlled.

To me, unlike the other girls, who alternate between their crumbling facades and inner vulnerabilities, Kato is pretty much all façade--or, if not façade, then certainly always carefully poised, always very aware (and not self-aware, strategically aware). In that regard, I find her to be fairly duplicitous, very much manipulative, even when she's (seemingly) being dragged along with other people's plans. (I think one of the girls even told her flat-out that she was the most dangerous of the rivals because of this, and she responded with "I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about"--which is a classic manipulator's deflection!) Again, this is just me, but I'd think dating her would feel like constantly trying to guess the answers to a series of test questions you weren't allowed to see.

That said, she's also less likely to throw a tantrum or pin me under her stiletto heels, so...

Team Michiru?