Review the Song

If anyone else reviews this I swear I'm going to come after them with a rusty hatchet American Psycho style.

Come_at_me_bro1.gif

In the theme of stonerness, here's some stoner rap for Naga:
Beck - Loser

I'm disappointed, because I feel like Beck just says shit to say shit.
I like the chorus, but I'm pretty sure most people have heard it.

The chorus is relate-able, and the music is alright. Basically every other part of the song is nonsense.

Next: Midnight City by M83

American-Psycho-006.jpg

But in reality -> :crying:

Goddammit......

I really don't like M83 as a band in general. While I think some of the songs they do create a nice atmosphere, most of the time, I just feel pretty bored by them and completely apathetic. The beat here just sounds sort of generic/uninspired if I'm 100% honest and the sax solo at the end is pretty cheesy, and not in the good way for me. I don't really understand why this song is so popular, but that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately, not my thing.

---
Going to go for something completely weird this time:
Primus - Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

---
Beck - Loser

If anyone else reviews this I swear I'm going to come after them with a rusty hatchet American Psycho style.

I'm delivering despite the rules.

I like Beck, not only because the nostalgic value of being a young 00s kid in friend's basement playing shitty music and making some questionable consumption choices. To me it now serves as a relic of my childhood where music was more used as an accessory and affirmation tool for finding your place in the crowd through the music of the subculture you subscribed to. The initiative to search on didn't exist because mass exposure of art and globalism weren't as prevalent when I was growing up - it would be a lot later in life when I'd start to question what I even thought of music, but even then, this spirit still has a special place in my heart. His early work is, imho, really close to perfect contemporary spirit of that particular subculture of youth. It's vulgar, incoherent, trashy, childish, sometimes for the sake of it... but at the same time there's a lively tone to it that makes something out of its nonsense, and a peculiar spiritual layer - it made the kids feel deeper than they actually were and made for some weird forms of expression I can not recognize today.

I remember when it was cool just to gather around and listen to the same shitty bands because they served as an extension to us as a group and individuals and feel like it somehow complemented and guided us. When I listen to Beck and some other, I really go back and connect to that kid who identified himself with that. I think his work doesn't have nearly as much personality as I once made it out to be, but I like it, after all it's mine. And knowing myself I know I fall for "coming of age" stories so things like FLCL hit a nerve perfectly. What makes it more special to me is that it was mine coming of age story so bias is off the charts. Maybe not Beck in particular, but he's serving like a soundtrack to it.

Ahem, I kinda updated the ost to my vague activities that sometimes compliment my daydreaming.
Listen to it to it the way it was meant to be heard, LOUDLY.
Electric Wizard - Vinum Sabbathi

Fuck the rules.

Beck - Loser
Such a product of it's time. This was released in 1994, grunge was just ending at britpop was taking off over here, so it got lost in amongst Gallagher's singing about Cigarettes and Alcohol, and slow moving cannon balls.

However, it got a new lease of life for us in the late 90's, early 00's, when MTV2 came on the scene and started blasting out guitar orientated music that wasn't nu-metal and that shitty US punk that was around at the time. I feel like this song was one of the few songs around that really just cut through the shit that was really happening in mainstream music at the time, and evoked a personal feeling that was still relevant to the day, because looking back, there really was very little difference in those 6 or so years.

In terms of the actual song, I don't have the personal feelings that Naga has to it, it's not a coming of age song for me in the same way that Nirvana or early Muse tracks were, but it introduced me to abstract lyrics and how they can be used to paint vivid imaginary pictures, something that influenced me heavily as an art student at the time.

I love the musicality behind the track, he definitely uses traditional rock instruments as an almost hip hop beat for himself here, and it just works. Beck also has the definitive disinterested voice, and it's absolutely perfect for this song.

Thanks for sharing!
Going to go for something completely weird this time:
Primus - Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
Well that guitar is pretty similar to early QOTSA, and it predates them by quite a few years, it'd be interesting to see if there's any connection between the 2 bands.

I love these weird ass lyrics again, it's great how people can make these ridiculous situational stories just fit in so well with the music. But for me, the thing I mainly like about this track is the actual music itself, because as much as i like the words, I can't get past the country style voice he sings with, despite the fact that it's obviously parody.

Overall though, I've found myself replaying the track 3 times, so it's doing far more right for me than it's doing wrong.
Ahem, I kinda updated the ost to my vague activities that sometimes compliment my daydreaming.
Listen to it to it the way it was meant to be heard, LOUDLY.
Electric Wizard - Vinum Sabbathi

I've been meaning to listen to these a bit more, they're so dirty and sludgy and everything just blends into this wonderful assault of noise that I love so fucking much. That bass is so damn clear in the mix though, it's wizardry of production that the whole song is just so deep and baritone, and just fucking grungey as shit, yet there's a clear bass line running through it.

The whole song just seeks to completely cocoon you in sound, but just as you're really being drowned by it, it ends, I feel it could do with another 30-40 seconds to make it top tier for me, but all in I just adore the track completely.

This is another track that gives me similar feelings about drowning in sound, and really does need to be played loud... My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow

Time to start shoegazing.

Fuck the rules.

Tae is banne-

Actually, these last few posts make me proud of this thread. I did saying in the opening post that you can talk about other songs than the one you're reviewing. Anything that gets some discussion going is a good thing. Just as long as you review the song you're supposed to and then post another one, then it fine to talk about songs that were posted that you didn't get a chance to say your peace on.

This is another track that gives me similar feelings about drowning in sound, and really does need to be played loud... My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow

Time to start shoegazing.

Yeah, this really is a chaotic wall of sound, but that's a good thing. Drowning in sound is a good way to put it, because I get the feeling of being enveloped in sound. The music is great uptempo stuff that's always changing enough that it never gets boring. Even the vocals are pretty much drowned out by the music. I can hear them, but after listening a couple of times I still can't make out what is being said really well, but I think that's kind of the point the vocals are another element of the music and aren't meant to be the focus of the song.

As much as I enjoy the rest of the song, I think the outre might be the best part. After the loud chaos of the song, it feels like a mellow way to end things. It's like the music has exhausted all of its considerable energy and is winding down.

Now because I am a mean fuck, the next choice is:

Avril Lavigne - Hello Kitty If you can get to the end of the song you're a stronger person than I am.

Now because I am a mean fuck, the next choice is:

Avril Lavigne - Hello Kitty If you can get to the end of the song you're a stronger person than I am.

liek this song iz gr8 lololol
ka-ka-ka-kawaii

omfg

sluber party

fat kid parties

time for spin the bottles glug glug

roll around in underwear yowza

what? I don't even... how is it Hello Kitty now?

BREAK IT DOWN DUBSTEP LIKE SOUNDS
BOWEAASDSFS
SSEFFSD

Pinky swears

BFFs 4evar

Pretty pretty kitty kitty meow baby :megusta:

*BLALLARARYG*

BREAK IT DOWN HELLO KITTY YOU SO FINE GIRL

Mesa- wait, what? Arigatou.

Ka-ka-ka-kawaii

Awwwww shit, build up to another FUCKAWESEMR MEOW BEATDOWN DOOOOOWOP

HELLO KITTY YOU DAMN FINE GIRL

BREAK IT DOWN AGAIN GIRL

Man that takes me back, to when Avril was still a singer. Wasn't she with Chad Krouger sometime? That guy from the hit band Nickelback?

Also, I should properly review the song but since I listened to it, fuck you ZK, hope you get a raging case of ass rot. The lame beats, the WTF lyrics that make less sense than "In the chain-smoke Kansas flash dance ass pants" from Beck or any of his other lyrics, sound worse than anything else and slap on some Japanese words to sound Japanese and to make it more "Kawaii" which in this case means fucking shit; more dubstep which isn't like anything good and needed way more bass or base or whatever they do to make it WUBWUB; god forbid I looked at the music vid but she was cute. So I missed out on the only good thing to type out some of the lyrics I heard in my descent into madness and rational need to repeatedly stab ZK in the brain.

The following song remains the same.

Duncan Lamont - Pressure Point

Basically fuck you for being active when I was typing my post so now I missed shit and had to edit my post, twice

*talks about Dopethrone*

"Slower than a snail, harder than cement" was the best description of sludge I've ever heard. The same sudden assault of noise introducing every song you already mentioned is probably my favorite part of everything, because it's constructed so well it instantly mesmerizes and drowns you into it's slow and hard progression that remains melodic in its inebriate-like fashion and chill despite its apparent anger and seeming dissonance. So, basically weed.

It's like our old song and dance and endless circlejerk over Loveless, so if anyone else would like to share their thoughts I'd be happy to hear it as well, because I'm pretty sure me and Tae discussed it a ton already. EDIT: GJ Zetsu

But still, repeating myself, Only Shallow is one of the best album openers in entirety of music, and simply great as a song on its own. It sounds aggressive only on the surface layer, from its aggressive introduction into a new spectrum of sound never heard before, it's perfectly natural shift in dynamics to an even more abstract melodies cemented it as a monumental moment in music. The shift is only natural from today's perspective when sounds of shoegaze are not nearly as new as they were then, and when the formula was done countless of times, but Only shallow did it first. So it was never only a great introduction into a greater whole that is Loveless, it was an introduction into a whole new genre of creation.

The music video compliments is greatly as well. What the hell sounds so aggressive and layered up front but in reality looks tame and sensitive when you really get into it. When you look at them preforming at first it's hard to even tell that sound like that comes from such stoic movements and that so much passion from faces that sometimes lack expression, it really don't fit at all at surface level. But Loveless has many layers, and after looking at it long enough the sound and the act become inseparable. Beauty of Loveless is that hidden sensations behind the wall of sound it puts before;its meaning, aesthetic and silenced lyrics that were never meant to be absorbed through conventional means. They are not obfuscated, but rather placed in a perfect middle between never being direct or incomprehensible - they're personal but hidden, but not in a way you'd never be able to experience it. More than anything, idea of doing it this way was ultimately the thing that instantly set Loveless apart from the crowd.

yada yada variety yada yada vacuum cleaners, one of these days I'll run out of praise and jokes for Loveless. Just listen to it!

______
Cutting this parade with some high tier sad shit. I still cant breach the first wall of sound of this album if I'm not in a proper mindset, but this song is the one I could always consume outside of it.
Giles Corey - No one is ever going to want me

Tae is banne-
Shit.
Well it may surprise you to hear that this is not the first time I've sat all the way through this song, in fact, ragging on it was a favourite pastime of mine for a short few days

The song itself is bland and boring pop music with an extra sprinkle of utter twattishness, her voice is like a hand blender being jammed into my ears, the lyrics aren't as ka-ka-ka-kawaii as she thinks, and that dubstep drop was about 2 years too late for the bandwagon. Honestly, I'd rather dip my testes in honey and feed them to a hungry Winnie the Pooh than listen to this again. I'd rather smash my face into a moving propeller than witness the horrors of that video again.

That fucking video too, does anyone else find it pretty fucking racist? The song itself too as her japanese is the music equivalent of Kate from Sketchbook, except not funny or a tenth as enjoyable. But the visuals just feel weirdly exploitive, Lavigne herself looks bored and forgets her lyrics in places, and there's a general feeling of exotification of japan as a place, and with the background dancers just being mannequins in the background not really doing much. It definitely feels pretty fucking xenophobic to me at least.

Also, I recommend everyone puts themselves through it and writes something about it.

Cutting this parade with some high tier sad shit. I still cant breach the first wall of sound of this album if I'm not in a proper mindset, but this song is the one I could always consume outside of it.
Giles Corey - No one is ever going to want me

Firstly, there will never come a day when I don't want to circlejerk about Loveless with you :love:

Onto the song. Giles Corey is a name I've heard thrown around a lot in recent months, but I've never really sat down to research or just listen to him at all. I'm not even sure if it's the name of a solo act or a band. However, now I'm listening to this song, I know I need to hear more of it.

The opening is so delicate and melancholy, and the swells of what I think is an organ are fucking lovely. I like his voice being so down in the mix, I like how they've layered it, I like that it's painting vivid images in my brain, and I like the genuinely hopeless feeling it's giving me. There aren't that many people brave enough to write and record a song that sounds so downbeat and with no real glimmer of light, that hook that plays throughout the song never changes and even when the guitar starts to pluck a livelier note, that hook just alters the atmosphere of it completely and brings it down to it's own level.

Holy shit I didn't see that coming, and it's almost invalidated everything else I wrote, almost. Because despite the rise in volume and the genuine surprise it instills, that downtrodden atmosphere is still there, only now it feels like the song is railing against it's own melancholy, it feels angry without being angsty, and full of absolute genuine emotion. This was an absolute fucking triumph of a song.

Anyway, I've had this stuck in my head for the last few days and I don't know why Stealers Wheel - Stuck In The Middle With You

Last edited:
liek this song iz gr8 lololol
ka-ka-ka-kawaii

omfg

sluber party

fat kid parties

time for spin the bottles glug glug

roll around in underwear yowza

what? I don't even... how is it Hello Kitty now?

BREAK IT DOWN DUBSTEP LIKE SOUNDS
BOWEAASDSFS
SSEFFSD

Pinky swears

BFFs 4evar

Pretty pretty kitty kitty meow baby :megusta:

*BLALLARARYG*

BREAK IT DOWN HELLO KITTY YOU SO FINE GIRL

Mesa- wait, what? Arigatou.

Ka-ka-ka-kawaii

Awwwww shit, build up to another FUCKAWESEMR MEOW BEATDOWN DOOOOOWOP

HELLO KITTY YOU DAMN FINE GIRL

BREAK IT DOWN AGAIN GIRL

Man that takes me back, to when Avril was still a singer. Wasn't she with Chad Krouger sometime? That guy from the hit band Nickelback?

Also, I should properly review the song but since I listened to it, fuck you ZK, hope you get a raging case of ass rot. The lame beats, the WTF lyrics that make less sense than "In the chain-smoke Kansas flash dance ass pants" from Beck or any of his other lyrics, sound worse than anything else and slap on some Japanese words to sound Japanese and to make it more "Kawaii" which in this case means fucking shit; more dubstep which isn't like anything good and needed way more bass or base or whatever they do to make it WUBWUB; god forbid I looked at the music vid but she was cute. So I missed out on the only good thing to type out some of the lyrics I heard in my descent into madness and rational need to repeatedly stab ZK in the brain.

The following song remains the same.

Duncan Lamont - Pressure Point

Well it may surprise you to hear that this is not the first time I've sat all the way through this song, in fact, ragging on it was a favourite pastime of mine for a short few days

The song itself is bland and boring pop music with an extra sprinkle of utter twattishness, her voice is like a hand blender being jammed into my ears, the lyrics aren't as ka-ka-ka-kawaii as she thinks, and that dubstep drop was about 2 years too late for the bandwagon. Honestly, I'd rather dip my testes in honey and feed them to a hungry Winnie the Pooh than listen to this again. I'd rather smash my face into a moving propeller than witness the horrors of that video again.

That fucking video too, does anyone else find it pretty fucking racist? The song itself too as her japanese is the music equivalent of Kate from Sketchbook, except not funny or a tenth as enjoyable. But the visuals just feel weirdly exploitive, Lavigne herself looks bored and forgets her lyrics in places, and there's a general feeling of exotification of japan as a place, and with the background dancers just being mannequins in the background not really doing much. It definitely feels pretty fucking xenophobic to me at least.

Also, I recommend everyone puts themselves through it and writes something about it.

You two got me rolling with laughter. Yeah, the song is almost unbearable garbage, but the thing that strikes me most is how desperate it is to appeal to trends that were already several years out of date at the point. I can see the thought process that went into the song and video.

"Well, the kids these days sure love their wubwub step and who doesn't like the whole Japan be so wacky stereotype."

It's a song that throws together as many trends as possible into a blender the result is predictably fucking terrible and definitely culturally insensitive. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it outright racist, but it's pretty damn close. There was definitely a time when the net was obsessed with how "weird" japan could be. It's just that she missed the window for that just as she's several years too late on dubstep. The whole thing is just a cynical attempt by an artist to stay relevant and the song did get its 15 minutes of fame even if most of that was talking about how much of a piece of trash it was. Funnily enough the Japanese weren't offended by the song, but found it a shallow tribute to some aspects of their culture.

By the way if you want to immerse yourself in crazy then just search for Avril Lavigne dead. Apparently some internet crazies are totally sold on the theory that she died in 2004 and was replaced with a look alike. I guess they thought she's so relevant that the world could never know of her death.

Looks like this got skipped.

I'm not much into Spongebob so I don't know how this fits into the show or movies or whatever, but it's a pretty classic piece of jazz. The bass line for it is pretty damn sick and the whole thing evokes a feeling of desperation. It would be great chase music, which is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear it.

Anyway, I've had this stuck in my head for the last few days and I don't know why Stealers Wheel - Stuck In The Middle With You

This is a classic song that I can never listen to for its own merit because it's so strongly tied to Reservoir Dogs. If you've seen the movie then you'll know exactly the scene I am talking abut. It's a gruesome and memorable scene.

As for the song and video I really enjoy them both. The video is just dripping in 70s fashion and the lead singer's pants are so tight that you know exactly what he's packing. Then there's the incredible facial hair of the band, which is just glorious. Also, I've got to remark there's just enough cowbell in the song.

It's a fun upbeat song and it is quite the earworm so I can see how's it'd get stuck in your head.

The singer's voice isn't the greatest, but he sings the lyrics with gusto. It's pretty obvious Steeler's Wheel took influence from a lot of other popular music of the time, especially the Beatles. The overall sound of the song, the surreal imagery used in the lyrics, and the vocal delivery definitely do take some influence from the Beatles. However, the song has enough unique character that it does just feel like influence rather than outright stealing.

Anyway next up is:

Talking Heads - Psycho Killer

Fucking hell, someone else jump in before this becomes Tae's Crit Corner.

I love this song so much, Talking Heads have some amazing songs in their catalogue but for me this always rises to the top of the pile. That opening bass line, the simple beat, the post punk guitars, Byrne's voice, oh god I could wank all day about this.

It's just so fucking perfect, the lyrics are fucking amazing, especially how the verse just builds into the hook, and I know I'll be singing ba ba ba baba ba baba for hours to come now. And of course, it's all down to Byrne's delivery, it always sounds like he's singing this almost through gritted teeth, like there's a subtle anger just boiling away underneath the surface. And I love that opening verse too...

"I can't seem to face up to the facts
I'm tense and nervous and I
Can't relax
I can't sleep 'cause my bed's on fire
Don't touch me I'm a real live wire"

Of course the build up to the ending is brilliant too, I love how everything swells and then just kind of fades away before it ever really builds into a crescendo. An amazing song.

Time for some slowcore Low - Witches

Did I hear Talking Heads get mentioned? Guys, stahp, your good taste in music is blowing me away.

Time for some slowcore Low - Witches

I haven't listened to much slowcore, but I find this pretty decent actually. I feel like I'm drowning in the atmosphere of the song and even though it's not necessarily my style, I can enjoy a downtrodden piece once in awhile. The lyrics paint a nice clear image in my head and I just kind of picture rolling green meadows by the country side for whatever reason. The banjo that's subtly playing in the background at certain points just sounds really nice and blends in with everything else pretty well. I think my favourite part however is when the song builds up a bit after the 2nd verse, drops the beat and the sombre guitar solo kicks in. It's a beautiful almost haunting song for me. Definitely enjoyed it all the way.

---
Time for one of my favourite prog rock songs and I remember when I heard this play in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I just completely lost my shit:
Yes - Roundabout

Let's go from prog rock to rock rock: Live It Up by Airbourne.

This seems pretty AC/DC inspired, not that's necessarily a bad thing, but considering that, I just don't find enough about this that actually sticks out to me from the instrumentation to vocals and it feels a little derivative. As a fan of hardcore rock, I just think it's okay overall.

---
Next up is probably the only country song I actually like:
The devil went down to Georgia

---
Next up is probably the only country song I actually like:
The devil went down to Georgia

You know the thing that strikes me about the song is Johnny accepts the devil's challenge and then wins with no repercussions. Usually, stories like this end up being some kind mortality tale about hubris and yet Johnny's hubris isn't punished, but rewarded in the end. It's not like he's particularly humble during any point in the song. He openly tells the devil that he's the best there's ever been and then after winning Johnny tells the devil to come back and challenge him anytime. I guess my point is Johnny has a quite the pair of balls on him and the song doesn't need to feel the need to punish him for it, I like that. Especially because musically the song's got a swagger to it that totally fits a story of Johnny being awesome and kicking the devil's ass.

For the devil's part his fiddle playing might cause some fireworks, but he's a pretty pathetic version of the devil. I kind of feel sorry for him, because he sounds pretty beaten down. He comes down to Georgia looking for souls because he's behind. He sounds less like the prince of hell and more like some poor salesman that's having a horrible year. Like I imagine this version of the devil as some poor schlubby gambler on a cold streak, looking for that one score that will turn things around for him, but he just happens to take on Johnny Awesomesauce and now he's not only short on souls, but he's also out one golden fiddle and that cocky bastard Johnny has to rub it in his face after winning.

I kind of want to by the poor guy a beer after all that. Although I'm out if he starts crying brimstone tears.

Next song:

Stranglers- No more Heroes

I really like the music, but I'm not a fan of this guys voice, and the lyrics seem kind of underwhelming compared to the actual beat and melody.

At this point the lyrics seem pretty repetitive, as we've dropped them and are focusing on the music, and there is a lot of "Whatever happened to your heroes" up until that point, and basically right after.

It'd be nice if the lyrics were a little more developed and not just the same thing over and over, I really like the composition.

Next: Massachusetts Avenue by Amanda Palmer

This is the second time this has happened with you, I like the music and don't care for the singer. She sounds like she's constipated. I really like the bits where she's not singing. The music has a great synth sound and I love that that shit.

The song itself is about a relationship woes, so like the most common song topic ever, but at least I can say it is relatable.

Next up:

SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA / Carl Carlton

I like how this is starting. :megusta:
Oh no... what is this voice.

Why do you people do this. :cereal:
More times than not, I enjoy the music more than the voice and lyrics.

What is this song... I wish he didn't sound like this...

I enjoyed the parts where there was not singing. The music is pretty good, it develops and it's not just the same beat over and over, it's interesting enough on it's own. The guy singing fucks it all up for me.

Next: That Time by Regina Spektor

straydog;1830977My first submission: [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0hlC6Lj4Wg" said:
Wu Tang Clan: Triumph[/URL]

I wasn't expecting you to jump in all of a sudden......

But, I can't say I'm surprised to see you submit Wu Tang Clan.
To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard a Wu Tang Clan song all the way through until this moment. It's surprising relevant to stuff I'm familiar with. I guess that's why they ain't nothing to fuck with.

You can tell this song is old though, lol. The production value isn't that great, but overall, the song and band is still impressive. Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with, afterall. :megusta:

I'll stick with it: Shook Ones Pt. 2 by Mobb Deep

Back