Review the Song

I've listened to Bohren & der Club of Gore so much man lately, I fucking love this band. Top notch ambient and well textured, sparse dark jazz. The stuff you play in a seedy bar with it's lumbering pace and create an air of tense suspicion and mystery. It just really reverberates through every part of your soul. It's kind of interesting thinking about it, because the members originally started out in hardcore punk bands. Amazing song. I would expect nothing less from the film noir man.

----
Next Song:

Woah man, that's certainly the most upbeat version of Killing Floor I've ever heard lol. Love the fusion of soul and rock here though with Mike Bloomfield playing tasty guitar blues over kickass horn sections and it's just an infectious groove throughout. The vocals sound like a louder Peter Green which is another plus for me.

60s rock just puts me in the best of moods so yeah, this is great.

--------------------

Last edited:
--------------------
I can't believe you've made me listen to Sting, even if the song is actually pretty cool. I'm guessing this is about his tantric desires, as all his music must be both now, and posthumously (does that word only work if someone has died, or can it refer to something someone has done before a life event?).

Actually I take it back, the intro is cool, but the longer it goes on, the more it grates against my brain. Stings voice is a pitch that feels like nails on a chalkboard, the guitar melody is pretty dull. The rhythm section is pretty great though, a shame it gets wasted on the 80s worst UK export (except thatcherism).

Next.

I can't believe you've made me listen to Sting, even if the song is actually pretty cool. I'm guessing this is about his tantric desires, as all his music must be both now, and posthumously (does that word only work if someone has died, or can it refer to something someone has done before a life event?).

Actually I take it back, the intro is cool, but the longer it goes on, the more it grates against my brain. Stings voice is a pitch that feels like nails on a chalkboard, the guitar melody is pretty dull. The rhythm section is pretty great though, a shame it gets wasted on the 80s worst UK export (except thatcherism).

Next.

Those guitar riffs are pretty addicting and so is the entire rhythm section, could have done without the glockenspiel though personally (that only seems to work for me when it's Little Wing). Once the vocals start you truly know you're listening to UK indie and I love the vocalist's cadence especially, fitting the lyrics about awkward adolescence. The accompanying "cheap" animation video is cute af.

If there's one thing I could never confess it's that I can't dance a single step. Amen to that :D

---------------------

Those guitar riffs are pretty addicting and so is the entire rhythm section, could have done without the glockenspiel though personally (that only seems to work for me when it's Little Wing). Once the vocals start you truly know you're listening to UK indie and I love the vocalist's cadence especially, fitting the lyrics about awkward adolescence. The accompanying "cheap" animation video is cute af.

If there's one thing I could never confess it's that I can't dance a single step. Amen to that :D

---------------------

Blue Cheer is always great, 60s acid psych blues rock with the best part here being cowbell, always. They are pretty proto-metal with their hard hitting sound that would make people shit bricks for their time. Their first two albums are the heaviest. This song's got a nice drugged chill atmosphere going on and very hypnotically groovy that you can vibe to all day. It's perfect for a summer anthem. Pretty sure this song specifically was in the Mafia 3 soundtrack too.

---
Next Song:

Last edited:
---
Next Song:
Not a band I know, but definitely feels like it belongs to the DC punk scene, feels very Fugazi, Husker Du, Minor Threat etc, which is a roundabout way of saying that I quite like it. Doesn't overstay its welcome, keeps up a decent intensity, some nice guitars throughout, some decent punk vocals, good rhythm section. Good shit.

But now for something completely different

Not a band I know, but definitely feels like it belongs to the DC punk scene, feels very Fugazi, Husker Du, Minor Threat etc, which is a roundabout way of saying that I quite like it. Doesn't overstay its welcome, keeps up a decent intensity, some nice guitars throughout, some decent punk vocals, good rhythm section. Good shit.

But now for something completely different

This is some pretty spoopy ambience, it's like some pagan ritual is going on here. This is a really amazing use of powerfully haunting vocals in how they're layered here, they're very drone-y and smothered all over you. Just managing to do so much with the sparse minimalism here. I feel like I was so mesmerized in just soaking up all the atmosphere and in euphoric cathartic bliss whilst being slightly disoriented. Pretty great stuff, that would be perfect for a folk horror movie honestly. I feel like I've heard of these guys before from somewhere, just can't quite put my finger on from where exactly.

------
Next Song:

Last edited:
This is some pretty spoopy ambience, it's like some pagan ritual is going on here. This is a really amazing use of powerfully haunting vocals in how they're layered here, they're very drone-y and smothered all over you. Just managing to do so much with the sparse minimalism here. I feel like I was so mesmerized in just soaking up all the atmosphere and in euphoric cathartic bliss whilst being slightly disoriented. Pretty great stuff, that would be perfect for a folk horror movie honestly. I feel like I've heard of these guys before from somewhere, just can't quite put my finger on from where exactly.

------
Next Song:

Overall i thought it was okey. But i find it to be overly slow and repetitive at most times. Granted there are changes in instruments to break up the repetitiveness but thats just how i feel.

Next Incoming Song:

Overall i thought it was okey. But i find it to be overly slow and repetitive at most times. Granted there are changes in instruments to break up the repetitiveness but thats just how i feel.

Next Incoming Song:

Doesn't really feel like this is for me honestly, as an electronic piece it's kind of bland and I don't find it too memorable.

---
Next Song:

Doesn't really feel like this is for me honestly, as an electronic piece it's kind of bland and I don't find it too memorable.

---
Next Song:

More post-punk era stuff which I can always dig. This sounds decidedly more new wave already though, love the prominent bass and how the song gets more dense adding layers of organ and effects as it goes on paired with the sparse but effective guitar work. Don't know anything about Lene Lovich but she looks like she would be good friends with Nina Hagen lol. Her vocals are serviceable in any case.

-----------------

More post-punk era stuff which I can always dig. This sounds decidedly more new wave already though, love the prominent bass and how the song gets more dense adding layers of organ and effects as it goes on paired with the sparse but effective guitar work. Don't know anything about Lene Lovich but she looks like she would be good friends with Nina Hagen lol. Her vocals are serviceable in any case.

-----------------

Oh dear lord. Funny story, My uncle would blast very few songs in his car in my early teen years and it was 1 of 4 things, This song specifically, nickleback, sabaton & disturbed. so i would say this song and many MANY others helped expand my musical taste back in the day. it must have been at least a handful of years since i last heard this and boy it doesn't hold up as much as i thought it used to. But nice to see it helped reminisce in a way.

-----------------

Oh dear lord. Funny story, My uncle would blast very few songs in his car in my early teen years and it was 1 of 4 things, This song specifically, nickleback, sabaton & disturbed. so i would say this song and many MANY others helped expand my musical taste back in the day. it must have been at least a handful of years since i last heard this and boy it doesn't hold up as much as i thought it used to. But nice to see it helped reminisce in a way.

-----------------

Man, I really dislike modern metalcore. The breakdowns, and the emo whiny sounding clean generic vocals as they go for this soaring effect to try to be as epic as possible. It just doesn't work for me and is kind of pretentiously overblown to be honest with this production, I don't find anything interesting about this. Just too poppy and melodic for what I typically want out of metal.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
----
Next Song:

Very Gens like, that kind of abrasive vocals, noise rock but not outright abrasive or just like, noise for noise. Was kinda doing stuff while it played but I remember or really noticed this really bitchin bass line. Like super bitchin, makes the rest of the song look like, not as bitchin. Nice vocals, mixes between that kinda screaming screeching shit and regular shit. Ok, that bass is in the last 10 seconds or so of the song. Real kickass way to end it.

Don't know which one to pick so just went with this.

Very Gens like, that kind of abrasive vocals, noise rock but not outright abrasive or just like, noise for noise. Was kinda doing stuff while it played but I remember or really noticed this really bitchin bass line. Like super bitchin, makes the rest of the song look like, not as bitchin. Nice vocals, mixes between that kinda screaming screeching shit and regular shit. Ok, that bass is in the last 10 seconds or so of the song. Real kickass way to end it.

Don't know which one to pick so just went with this.

Soft Cell has always been pretty great in their sleazy branded synth pop. The horns punctuating the song add some pretty real raw overpowering intensity and the baseline beat is just so groovy. You can feel the bitter pleading desperation honestly in the vocals and lyrics, like a rusty knife to the gut. Love the horns getting wild at the end of the song. The Art of Falling Apart surely deserves to be up there as much as their classic Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret album. Times are hard man.

----
Next Song:

----
Next Song:
David Bowie, top 5 musician, one of the best in general. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)? Great album and this song? One of the best on the album, as good as Ashes to Ashes. The alternating of female Japanese vocals and male Bowie, how the two are in-tuned and brash, loud, aggressive and so in-sync. It's a heavier Bowie and it rocks out for it. And that guitar! Robert Fripp! So good on so many levels. Ain't no way am I letting someone else review this classic. So aggressive, but all the more alluring. David Bowie, there is no other.

--------------------------------
Internet going coo-coo bananas so before someone teefs it:

Next song:

David Bowie, top 5 musician, one of the best in general. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)? Great album and this song? One of the best on the album, as good as Ashes to Ashes. The alternating of female Japanese vocals and male Bowie, how the two are in-tuned and brash, loud, aggressive and so in-sync. It's a heavier Bowie and it rocks out for it. And that guitar! Robert Fripp! So good on so many levels. Ain't no way am I letting someone else review this classic. So aggressive, but all the more alluring. David Bowie, there is no other.

--------------------------------
Internet going coo-coo bananas so before someone teefs it:

Next song:

Man, haven't heard this in a long-ass time. Can faintly remember fultoning some African soldiers to this.

Dunno what the internet is going coo-coo for with this song (Stranger Things again?) but I'm not. It has some urgency to it with the synth work and it's certainly another 80s song doing 80s things but still not really my vibe. The most funny thing to think about with this song is 80s Kojima dancing his ass off to it in a disco. Not huge on the vocals either, sorry Thrawn-man!

-------------------------
If it has to be instrumental it better sound like this:

Last edited:
Time to shake some life into this thread, what with it being Halloween month and all. Necromansy, the secret of the dark arts are to be found within us, ripe for the taking from the teachings of de mysteriis dom Satanas. Let us all be sworn to the dark. Don't burn the witch!

If it has to be instrumental it better sound like this:
The opening shredding overladen with effects is as inarticulate as one could hope for, but the effects fit the arpeggio parts much better. The melodic themes are okay, but not very memorable. Then again, I'm a heretic who prefers Rush's eighties output over their seventies stuff, and I also prefer their vocal stuff to instrumentals, so this does little for me.

I mean, it's Rush and they're doing an instrumental song. They're good at it, but I prefer their other stuff.

________

Time to shake some life into this thread, what with it being Halloween month and all. Necromansy, the secret of the dark arts are to be found within us, ripe for the taking from the teachings of de mysteriis dom Satanas. Let us all be sworn to the dark. Don't burn the witch!

The opening shredding overladen with effects is as inarticulate as one could hope for, but the effects fit the arpeggio parts much better. The melodic themes are okay, but not very memorable. Then again, I'm a heretic who prefers Rush's eighties output over their seventies stuff, and I also prefer their vocal stuff to instrumentals, so this does little for me.

I mean, it's Rush and they're doing an instrumental song. They're good at it, but I prefer their other stuff.

________

Wow, that turned out to be far better than I expected it to be. Huge huge bonus points for non-screaming vocals. I can't count how many times I've heard a great guitar get ruined by someone screaming at the top of their lungs. I was worried it would happen again here at some point, but you know, I dare say I like this. It's not something I'll immediately add to a playlist and play frequently, but I'll probably think of it at random next week or sometime in the future. It has an 80s sound to it, and I've tried to branch out into more 80s music and this seems like a very solid starting point.

I had no song on repeat in 2022 more than this one.

Wow, that turned out to be far better than I expected it to be. Huge huge bonus points for non-screaming vocals. I can't count how many times I've heard a great guitar get ruined by someone screaming at the top of their lungs. I was worried it would happen again here at some point, but you know, I dare say I like this. It's not something I'll immediately add to a playlist and play frequently, but I'll probably think of it at random next week or sometime in the future. It has an 80s sound to it, and I've tried to branch out into more 80s music and this seems like a very solid starting point.

I had no song on repeat in 2022 more than this one.

It stays largely the same throughout and doesn't add much exciting layers on top or anything that warrants the length. This is cool if you like Paul Kalkbrenner and stuff but minimalist chill electro music just never really was my thing. It sure is relaxing but amounts to little more than background music to me after a while.

-----------------

Hi dere, I'm making a come back after a long ass time lol

It stays largely the same throughout and doesn't add much exciting layers on top or anything that warrants the length. This is cool if you like Paul Kalkbrenner and stuff but minimalist chill electro music just never really was my thing. It sure is relaxing but amounts to little more than background music to me after a while.

-----------------

Man, Polyphia always fucking KILLS it with the very technical complex instrumentation. What really grounds their songs as a virtuoso band is they have a very strong memorable sense of melody and grooviness, it's not just total wankery for the sake of it with no regard to anything else. It's very vibrant stuff and a really good collaboration with Steve Vai in there. I mean jesus, the sense of atmosphere near the end is so mindblowing chilling you get into a trance. I can't think of anything I don't love here, everything works so well in harmony here.

------
Next Song:

Last edited:
Next Song:
I assume this is vastly more fun to write and perform than to listen to. As cool people know, putting your effects on max while wailing away on your Floyd is never an unpleasant experience for the performer. A few of the segments are nice, namely when they're not trying to make third rate hardcore, but there is little flow. What I suspect are intended to be chaotic breaks are more akin to two people fighting over the Spotify playlist at a party. It elicits a shrug instead of a feeling of befuddlement. The production and performances are good and to be expected of the genre, so that was good.

Back