Review the Song

Oh man this is some real good shit. It borrows heavily from 60s swing music, and has an almost japanese city pop vibe running through it. I could listen to this just chilling out in the sun with an ice cold drink in my hand, or basically doing anything in the sun, because this just screams summer to me. I love trumpets, they have such a great sound and when used sparingly in music like this, just raise the whole song to a new level. I really really liked this one.

Going for some Japanese indie shit

*steals song*

The video's pretty accurate honestly, it really does make me think of an ocean breeze. A nice gentle breeze, and nostalgic times. Having shaking maracas in the background is an interesting choice(I think it's maracas), and I like the way the dual vocals harmonize. The song adds some lazy sounding brass in there and I think bongo drums which I will always love. It's so chiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllll with that acoustic guitar, I lose some sense of time. Nice minimalist number. I obviously don't listen to enough japanese indie.

---
Next Song:

---
Next Song:

Urgh I love this. Some of their other stuff is more folky than this song in particular, but this is probably my favourite song by them. It has such an old school Clapton vibe to it, without indulging in his (admittedly awesome) rather self indulgent guitar solos. The solo we do get here is pretty fucking chill and closes out the song anyway, so there's not a great deal to it. The whole song is pretty laid back, from the vocals to the rhythm, if the previous song made me want to chill in the song, this makes me want to chill in the sunset with a whisky and good company.

Let's keep the chill japanese theme going

Urgh I love this. Some of their other stuff is more folky than this song in particular, but this is probably my favourite song by them. It has such an old school Clapton vibe to it, without indulging in his (admittedly awesome) rather self indulgent guitar solos. The solo we do get here is pretty fucking chill and closes out the song anyway, so there's not a great deal to it. The whole song is pretty laid back, from the vocals to the rhythm, if the previous song made me want to chill in the song, this makes me want to chill in the sunset with a whisky and good company.

Let's keep the chill japanese theme going

This is just really smooth city pop like damn and some excellent guitar work going on in the background with warm jazz tone, cool licks and mini vibrato. The bass is always the best thing about this music though because it's just so extremely funky while not overdoing it and the short synth solo is fun. Just very relaxing to listen to and I keep repeating myself but good use of strings always elevates songs like this to movie soundtrack level. Smooth to the max.

-------------------
Not Japanese but just as chill:

This is just really smooth city pop like damn and some excellent guitar work going on in the background with warm jazz tone, cool licks and mini vibrato. The bass is always the best thing about this music though because it's just so extremely funky while not overdoing it and the short synth solo is fun. Just very relaxing to listen to and I keep repeating myself but good use of strings always elevates songs like this to movie soundtrack level. Smooth to the max.

-------------------
Not Japanese but just as chill:

Eddie hazel is pretty much a legend for his group Parliament-Funkadelic, I respect the man's guitar work immensely. This cover is honestly just mind blowing great, I've heard the original as well but this is even better than the 60s classic. He just goes on a much longer guitar jam while dropping the pace on this, just drenched in psychedelic LSD to me as it wobbles along. Probably the best song on the album to me, and the piano does a nice job in support of the guitar. Rock on Eddie.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
Next Song:
I must admit that I'm a bit tired right now, but I can't really appreciate the maximalist '60s-inspired instrumentation. Tremolo guitars, organs, saxophones, choirs, and what have you. At least it has some sense of dynamics and change. It's a fun ditty, but also a bit tiring. Is this what power metal sounds like through a swinging sixties filter?

I must admit that I'm a bit tired right now, but I can't really appreciate the maximalist '60s-inspired instrumentation. Tremolo guitars, organs, saxophones, choirs, and what have you. At least it has some sense of dynamics and change. It's a fun ditty, but also a bit tiring. Is this what power metal sounds like through a swinging sixties filter?

I dunno, slower acoustic ballads are hard for me to get into a lot of the time. The vocals are pretty nice though, I don't have a lot to say about this. I'm probably not in the right mindset for this at the moment.

---
Next Song:

Last edited:
Next Song:

Im so surprised by this song that Im speechless. What a hooky, lovely song. The emotion is both sentimental and sad.
How is it that one reverbed guitar can have so much personality? I don't know and I will be thinking about this song for the next day or so.
I would not be surprised to see this appear in a show with Fred Armisen. Something about this has the mix of odd and sweet that is his speciality.

Here's something a little sweet and sour:

Im so surprised by this song that Im speechless. What a hooky, lovely song. The emotion is both sentimental and sad.
How is it that one reverbed guitar can have so much personality? I don't know and I will be thinking about this song for the next day or so.
I would not be surprised to see this appear in a show with Fred Armisen. Something about this has the mix of odd and sweet that is his speciality.

Here's something a little sweet and sour:

Promise ring is classic mid-west emo, it's all about soft and loud dynamics with these bands. I've got a soft spot for emo in the 90s where it felt more genuine to me. Really captures this perfect melancholic nostalgic vibe, and I love the rhythm of the song. Singer's got that nice emotional voice, and the build-up to the song exploding is a really great pay-off. I haven't listened to a lot of emo these days, but this was a nice re-visit.

---
Next Song:

Last edited:
Promise ring is classic mid-west emo, it's all about soft and loud dynamics with these bands. I've got a soft spot for emo in the 90s where it felt more genuine to me. Really captures this perfect melancholic nostalgic vibe, and I love the rhythm of the song. Singer's got that nice emotional voice, and the build-up to the song exploding is a really great pay-off. I haven't listened to a lot of emo these days, but this was a nice re-visit.

---
Next Song:

This sounds like some weird folk that was recorded in a mess hall or something. The vocal harmonies are actually quite haunting with the low sound quality and the acoustic guitar does some nice strumming patterns and licks. Love the touches of electric guitar too and the sparse percussion. It's relaxing yet kinda "disturbing" in a good way but the vocalist putting on his Louis Armstrong near the end is a bit much for me.

---------------------

This sounds like some weird folk that was recorded in a mess hall or something. The vocal harmonies are actually quite haunting with the low sound quality and the acoustic guitar does some nice strumming patterns and licks. Love the touches of electric guitar too and the sparse percussion. It's relaxing yet kinda "disturbing" in a good way but the vocalist putting on his Louis Armstrong near the end is a bit much for me.

---------------------

Tom waits was always an interesting guy with his experimentation, this is perhaps one of the darkest sounding songs I've heard with a marimba as a percussive instrument. It's an unusual combo for sure with his gravelly voice and you get little sparse bits of electric guitar for extra swagger. He always just exudes being in dark alley ways, crooks and likes, every staple of noir you can think of with his lyrics. I should probably listen to Rain Dogs more honestly. He even includes seedy Dark Cabaret as part of his music which is always a nice bonus to me.

---
Next Song:

Last edited:
---
Next Song:
Oh man, I know jack shit about music terminology yet I could sense some technicality that didn't make sense at first.
This sounds at first like something from the early 70s, but for a lack of a better term the singing seemed far more modern in style somehow, and then the audio quality on the ainging atarted sticking out.
I also wondered if this was some great classic soul rock band I had never heard of somehow.

So I googled stuff, and the band was actually established in 1999, ai this was very much designed to be retro and I like it a lot.
Next.

Oh man, I know jack shit about music terminology yet I could sense some technicality that didn't make sense at first.
This sounds at first like something from the early 70s, but for a lack of a better term the singing seemed far more modern in style somehow, and then the audio quality on the ainging atarted sticking out.
I also wondered if this was some great classic soul rock band I had never heard of somehow.

So I googled stuff, and the band was actually established in 1999, ai this was very much designed to be retro and I like it a lot.
Next.

Jeff FUCKING BECK, is the man at funky jazz rock fusion. Jeff is the kind of virtuoso guitarist that makes his wanking distinctly memorable to me and Blow by Blow is an absolute classic for an instrumental album. People be always talking more about Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page these days, and they are great musicians in their own right, but Jeff always had the most ridiculous guitar sound out of them. He can really make that guitar sing like no tomorrow on the soloing and those rhythms. This is one of the funkiest jams on the album next to freeway jam. Love this song and that bass is amazing. This album is just FUN.

---
Next Song:

Last edited:
Jeff FUCKING BECK, is the man at funky jazz rock fusion. Jeff is the kind of virtuoso guitarist that makes his wanking distinctly memorable to me and Blow by Blow is an absolute classic for an instrumental album. People be always talking more about Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page these days, and they are great musicians in their own right, but Jeff always had the most ridiculous guitar sound out of them. He can really make that guitar sing like no tomorrow on the soloing and those rhythms. This is one of the funkiest jams on the album next to freeway jam. Love this song and that bass is amazing. This album is just FUN.

---
Next Song:
I think you accidentally posted the same song as before.

---
Next Song:

Sounds like the best parts of 60s psych garage stuff with the guitar effects and wailing vocals. Especially love the "overladen" bits when the instruments seem to melt together all while keeping that fun pace and has an organ ever really not worked with this kinda music? Great throwback similar to 13th Floor Elevators and stuff.

-------------------

Sounds like the best parts of 60s psych garage stuff with the guitar effects and wailing vocals. Especially love the "overladen" bits when the instruments seem to melt together all while keeping that fun pace and has an organ ever really not worked with this kinda music? Great throwback similar to 13th Floor Elevators and stuff.

-------------------

Don't mind me, I'm just wanking to schizm's song picks again, because I can't really help myself.

It's funny thinking about Holiday in the sun and how the sex pistols got rejected and banned from places, then spent some time at Berlin and loved it. Love the upbeat kind of vibe I get from the riffage, it just feels like it's shining so brightly, they knew how to churn hit anthem after anthem, like yelling at the top of ur lungs stuff. And Lydon's sneering sounded like some half-way in between being pretty desperate and spite. He knew how to rant like a maniac. The sex pistols were never the most talented musicians and as musically accomplished as some other punk groups. But they had the image and the passion for punk music. Lydon going on to make the post-punk group Public Image, was just the icing on the cake. There's a lot of controversy around Never Mind the Bollocks as an album, people saying herp derp it's overrated or it's underrated from both sides, but at the end of the day, the album's fun pumped out adrenaline snark to me and I take it for what it is. Not much else matters. It's funny their name is the "sex pistols" but they're hardly really about sex at all with their songs. Sure is an attention grabbing name for horny teenagers though.

---
Next Song:

Don't mind me, I'm just wanking to schizm's song picks again, because I can't really help myself.

It's funny thinking about Holiday in the sun and how the sex pistols got rejected and banned from places, then spent some time at Berlin and loved it. Love the upbeat kind of vibe I get from the riffage, it just feels like it's shining so brightly, they knew how to churn hit anthem after anthem, like yelling at the top of ur lungs stuff. And Lydon's sneering sounded like some half-way in between being pretty desperate and spite. He knew how to rant like a maniac. The sex pistols were never the most talented musicians and as musically accomplished as some other punk groups. But they had the image and the passion for punk music. Lydon going on to make the post-punk group Public Image, was just the icing on the cake. There's a lot of controversy around Never Mind the Bollocks as an album, people saying herp derp it's overrated or it's underrated from both sides, but at the end of the day, the album's fun pumped out adrenaline snark to me and I take it for what it is. Not much else matters. It's funny their name is the "sex pistols" but they're hardly really about sex at all with their songs. Sure is an attention grabbing name for horny teenagers though.

---
Next Song:

I'm having a smoke with the lights off right now so this is the perfect soundtrack... ooor so I thought because the contemplative funeral music turns into something Janis Joplin could have sung on and reminds of late 60s/early 70s Stax soul music with the beat and on-point guitar funk. The vocals are versatile and pretty awesome overall, especially dig the later part where she just oozes soul. Nice one.

-------------------

I'm having a smoke with the lights off right now so this is the perfect soundtrack... ooor so I thought because the contemplative funeral music turns into something Janis Joplin could have sung on and reminds of late 60s/early 70s Stax soul music with the beat and on-point guitar funk. The vocals are versatile and pretty awesome overall, especially dig the later part where she just oozes soul. Nice one.

-------------------

Anthrax doing some comedy parody rap metal, so fucking HILARIOUS dude and the cheesy lyrics. That random jewish Hava Nagila melody thrown in there, and them doing an imitation of the beastie boys basically. Anthrax never took themselves really that seriously compared to other thrash metal acts, and this clearly shows here. Absolute legends in just having a good old fun time. I STOLE YOUR SOCKS!

Other people be singing about satan and nuclear holocausts, anthrax being singing about smelly feet and socks. How can one not love this?

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
Anthrax doing some comedy parody rap metal, so fucking HILARIOUS dude and the cheesy lyrics. That random jewish Hava Nagila melody thrown in there, and them doing an imitation of the beastie boys basically. Anthrax never took themselves really that seriously compared to other thrash metal acts, and this clearly shows here. Absolute legends in just having a good old fun time. I STOLE YOUR SOCKS!

Other people be singing about satan and nuclear holocausts, anthrax being singing about smelly feet and socks. How can one not love this?

----
Next Song:

This be brand new shit which I don't seek out often anymore so let's dig in. It has an hypnotic vibe to me with the guitars carrying me off somewhere, especially during the sinister arpeggio sections. The heaviness of the song is undeniable and it's quite a dark and bleak heavy with the vocals wailing away and adding to the intensity. I love the short banging part which reminds me of Birthday Party or something and it's in the outro too. This rules.

----------------------

Last edited:
I don't remember this from Wayne's World. It's due for a re-watch.

It's not my favourite Dio-fronted Sabbath song, but they proved that they could still rock in the nineties. Iommi's riffage is on point as always, but the drums aren't worthy of a Sabbath record. They're not heavy enough, and some might say that's not a valid complaint in a more uptempo song like this, but they are wrong. Oh, so very wrong. Also Geezer's bass is a bit too anonymous.

________
Time to actually post some citypop:

Back