Review the Song

I'm gonna be honest wit chu, a lot of metalcore bands out there I think suck ass
I'm not a big fan of the genre either so I definitely understand where you're coming from. Converge you mentioned is one of those I like. Some others I dig are Trivium, All That Remains (two or three first albums), Shadows Fall and As I Lay Dying. Basically metalcore that has more metal than core in it if you ask me.

However some progressive bands with core influences like Between The Buried And Me, Dillinger Escape Plan, The Human Abstract, After The Burial and to some extent Born Of Osiris are my jam.

I was supposed to also review your pick, but I just realized that I have to go and pick my girlfriend from the train station so I'll let someone else take over from there.

I'm gonna be honest wit chu, a lot of metalcore bands out there I think suck ass, and the only one I really ever got that invested in is Converge because they're really creative and chaotic. That said this band was more akin closer to thrashy tones than anything with their songs and some nice heavy riffs. It's pretty nice, and the singer doesn't sound annoying to me like I would expect in a metalcore band. Some yelling that sounds like hetfield and they're clearly inspired by Metallica.

----
Next Song:

To many this is the ONLY punk band from the UK (of course that's not true but it's amazing how Damned fans will tell you that all the time). Not only are they awesome UK punk but also huuugely important for the development of goth music and post-punk as well, like vocalist Dave Vanian with his goth attire and makeup for example. Captain Sensible is one of the coolest UK punk bassists and basically brought the weirdness before Les Claypool would perfect it. That organ playing and overall mood also transports a somewhat psychedelic vibe and seeing how this is from 1979 it is clear that Damned weren't just a trend band for the short-lived '77 UK punk scene but serious musicians that were here to stay. Classic stuff that already bridges over into the post-punk thing a bit and mixing some psych in there, definitely like it. Also, Machine Gun Etiquettes is such a fucking cool album title.

-----------------------------------------

Last edited:
To many this is the ONLY punk band from the UK (of course that's not true but it's amazing how Damned fans will tell you that all the time). Not only are they awesome UK punk but also huuugely important for the development of goth music and post-punk as well, like vocalist Dave Vanian with his goth attire and makeup for example. Captain Sensible is one of the coolest UK punk bassists and basically brought the weirdness before Les Claypool would perfect it. That organ playing and overall mood also transports a somewhat psychedelic vibe and seeing how this is from 1979 it is clear that Damned weren't just a trend band for the short-lived '77 UK punk scene but serious musicians that were here to stay. Classic stuff that already bridges over into the post-punk thing a bit and mixing some psych in there, definitely like it. Also, Machine Gun Etiquettes is such a fucking cool album title.

When I think THE pirate metal themed band honestly, I always think of this band. My roommate that I used to have was a huge fan of Running Wild and he'd play it quite a bit. Can't really deny they're an entertaining heavy metal band, that makes one go ARRRR MATEY, YOHOHOHO. Break out some rum and sail the seven seas or some shit with melodies that remind you of old sea shanties. I likes it.

----
Next Song:

Next Song:
I have to admit that the St. Anger-like snare is obnoxious, but the filthy bass more than makes up for that. It's layered on too thick with distorted vocals as well, but at least they have the common decency to not have very overdriven synths and guitars as well.

As for the actual song itself (I sure yap about production a lot, a common failing of mine, lazy and uncreative git that I am): it's good, and the chorus melody is incredibly fitting and really kicks it up a notch. There are good dynamics and build-ups throughout the song, and I reckon that it doesn't just look like a fucking sausage in ProTools. My only criticism is that I don't really feel the ending. Might as well have faded out on the chorus instead of having it run an extra minute. EDIT YOUR STUFF, FOLKS!

_____
Next song, one of the few with a sampled intro that I actually feel add something:

When I think THE pirate metal themed band honestly, I always think of this band. My roommate that I used to have was a huge fan of Running Wild and he'd play it quite a bit. Can't really deny they're an entertaining heavy metal band, that makes one go ARRRR MATEY, YOHOHOHO. Break out some rum and sail the seven seas or some shit with melodies that remind you of old sea shanties. I likes it.

----
Next Song:

Ooooooh my fucking god, that bass... GRGLMPFHAWESOMEAFGNHPFTL! This is a fucking creepy ass stalker beat with the violins and otherwise reminding me of Britpop somewhat but nastier and more devastating. Especially that killer snare which just hammers on through while the guitar chords gradually intensify in attack. It throws you around a little with the riffs too, cool guitar stuff during the outro too.

---------------------------------------------------

Oh god, fuck you all.

I have to admit that the St. Anger-like snare is obnoxious, but the filthy bass more than makes up for that. It's layered on too thick with distorted vocals as well, but at least they have the common decency to not have very overdriven synths and guitars as well.

As for the actual song itself (I sure yap about production a lot, a common failing of mine, lazy and uncreative git that I am): it's good, and the chorus melody is incredibly fitting and really kicks it up a notch. There are good dynamics and build-ups throughout the song, and I reckon that it doesn't just look like a fucking sausage in ProTools. My only criticism is that I don't really feel the ending. Might as well have faded out on the chorus instead of having it run an extra minute. EDIT YOUR STUFF, FOLKS!

_____
Next song, one of the few with a sampled intro that I actually feel add something:
Oh yeah! Neurosis! Really cool and underrated band if you ask me. They have made really interesting music that has a lot of influences from many of my favorite genres and combined it to really unique, atmospheric, heavy and some cases progressive stuff.

This song has nice avant-garde-vibe with some sludge metal thrown there. Atmosphere of the track is amazing. It creates really haunting and heavy vibe with that intro portion and continues it throughout the song. Riffs are really cool and remind me of post metal. Like with the riffs lead guitar also has neat things going on and together they create a wonderful atmosphere. Bass also had a nice groove and riffs and they stood out nicely in this song. Same can be said about drum parts, since they also got their moments to shine. Vocal work was amazing and even though the this record has sludge/avant-garde thing going on they worked like in atmospheric black metal or any sort of music that leans more towards the atmosphere, which is enhance the atmosphere in my opinion.

Great song from awesome record and band.

---
Next:

Oh yeah! Neurosis! Really cool and underrated band if you ask me. They have made really interesting music that has a lot of influences from many of my favorite genres and combined it to really unique, atmospheric, heavy and some cases progressive stuff.

This song has nice avant-garde-vibe with some sludge metal thrown there. Atmosphere of the track is amazing. It creates really haunting and heavy vibe with that intro portion and continues it throughout the song. Riffs are really cool and remind me of post metal. Like with the riffs lead guitar also has neat things going on and together they create a wonderful atmosphere. Bass also had a nice groove and riffs and they stood out nicely in this song. Same can be said about drum parts, since they also got their moments to shine. Vocal work was amazing and even though the this record has sludge/avant-garde thing going on they worked like in atmospheric black metal or any sort of music that leans more towards the atmosphere, which is enhance the atmosphere in my opinion.

Great song from awesome record and band.

---
Next:

These days, I think I listen mostly to Neurosis for my atmospheric post-metal/sludge stuff since they are simply the best in the business after all compared to everyone else for me. But Cult of Luna is still excellent honestly in building up songs to amazingly explosive crescendos. This is an ABSOLUTE monstrous song in length, as most post-anything songs are lol

You have violin orchestration, COLOSSAL earth shattering riffs that mash your face in and feel good on the ears. Really good dynamics built into it for atmosphere and you can feel the doomy, and post-hardcore influences, it's all there. Definitely post-hardcore sounding vocals to me. The song justifies it's length completely to me. And you can't deny this band's been quite consistent over the years. They cut like a knife with the denseness and despairing moments.

----
Next Song:

These days, I think I listen mostly to Neurosis for my atmospheric post-metal/sludge stuff since they are simply the best in the business after all compared to everyone else for me. But Cult of Luna is still excellent honestly in building up songs to amazingly explosive crescendos. This is an ABSOLUTE monstrous song in length, as most post-anything songs are lol

You have violin orchestration, COLOSSAL earth shattering riffs that mash your face in and feel good on the ears. Really good dynamics built into it for atmosphere and you can feel the doomy, and post-hardcore influences, it's all there. Definitely post-hardcore sounding vocals to me. The song justifies it's length completely to me. And you can't deny this band's been quite consistent over the years. They cut like a knife with the denseness and despairing moments.

----
Next Song:
Echo & The Bunnymen is one of my favorite post punk/new wave groups like I've probably stated at some point. They've had their fair share of catchy songs and great albums.

This song from their second album is one of my favorites from that specific album. It has a really catchy chorus and riffs, bass has a nice groove going on the whole time, drums do their job well and have few nice fills here and there, lead guitar gets a few moments to shine and vocals as always in this bands case are absolutely awesome. I don't have much to say about it. Awesome stuff.

---
Next:

Echo & The Bunnymen is one of my favorite post punk/new wave groups like I've probably stated at some point. They've had their fair share of catchy songs and great albums.

This song from their second album is one of my favorites from that specific album. It has a really catchy chorus and riffs, bass has a nice groove going on the whole time, drums do their job well and have few nice fills here and there, lead guitar gets a few moments to shine and vocals as always in this bands case are absolutely awesome. I don't have much to say about it. Awesome stuff.

---
Next:

Ah, the song that made me a fan of this album and Melvins in general back then. There was Hooch on there ofc with its Sabbath slowness and dangerous vibe but Honey Bucket really made me get into the band as whole and not just think of them as a group Kurt Cobain hung out with. Think I pretty much lost it when I first heard King Buzzo dishing out this sludgy but fast metal riff and tight drums pounding away on this song, just utter awesomeness. Fast, dirty, fuzzy and Buzz bringing the snarly vocals so all is good. A goddamn classic and has juuuust the right amount of anger, groove and dirt.

Time for a classic:

Ah, the song that made me a fan of this album and Melvins in general back then. There was Hooch on there ofc with its Sabbath slowness and dangerous vibe but Honey Bucket really made me get into the band as whole and not just think of them as a group Kurt Cobain hung out with. Think I pretty much lost it when I first heard King Buzzo dishing out this sludgy but fast metal riff and tight drums pounding away on this song, just utter awesomeness. Fast, dirty, fuzzy and Buzz bringing the snarly vocals so all is good. A goddamn classic and has juuuust the right amount of anger, groove and dirt.

Time for a classic:

Man, it's been fucking ages since I touched GTA. But I definitely do remember San Andreas at least. The games always had some stellar music. I like the weird ass vocals in this song to me. I dunno something about them man with the person trying to sound like someone's grandma makes me think ol dirty bastard and those humorous lyrics hahaha. Those high pitched moog synthesizers are also just fab that are kind of middle eastern/exotic sounding? I love it. It's groovy and a bit weird, it's awesome.

---
Something completely different from me:

Man, it's been fucking ages since I touched GTA. But I definitely do remember San Andreas at least. The games always had some stellar music. I like the weird ass vocals in this song to me. I dunno something about them man with the person trying to sound like someone's grandma makes me think ol dirty bastard and those humorous lyrics hahaha. Those high pitched moog synthesizers are also just fab that are kind of middle eastern/exotic sounding? I love it. It's groovy and a bit weird, it's awesome.

---
Something completely different from me:

This at times feels more like a set of songs than one or the song seems to evolve with all the fade-outs and fade-ins. Some sections are really dreamy, others have a more outgoing instrumentation going on and I especially like the string section later with that uplifting atmosphere. The creative acoustic guitar use is also appreciated, very vibrant and warm sounds. Still pretty clearly a Gens pick because it has weird but atmospheric instrumental sections and there's just always something crackling underneath the fluff so good one. Not really what I listen to at all but definitely worth it.

----------------------------------------------

Last edited:
This at times feels more like a set of songs than one or the song seems to evolve with all the fade-outs and fade-ins. Some sections are really dreamy, others have a more outgoing instrumentation going on and I especially like the string section later with that uplifting atmosphere. The creative acoustic guitar use is also appreciated, very vibrant and warm sounds. Still pretty clearly a Gens pick because it has weird but atmospheric instrumental sections and there's just always something crackling underneath the fluff so good one. Not really what I listen to at all but definitely worth it.

----------------------------------------------

Pretty trippy psychedelic jamming with sweet ass guitar licks out the wazoo and hazy 70s hammond organ. You already won me over song with that hammond organ. Did I mention I like hammond organs? I don't think I mentioned that enough in this thread that I like hammond organs. That instrumental break with the organ is FUCKING AWEEEEEESOMEEEEEEEEEEE.

---
Back to crushing people's ear drums mercilessly:

Pretty trippy psychedelic jamming with sweet ass guitar licks out the wazoo and hazy 70s hammond organ. You already won me over song with that hammond organ. Did I mention I like hammond organs? I don't think I mentioned that enough in this thread that I like hammond organs. That instrumental break with the organ is FUCKING AWEEEEEESOMEEEEEEEEEEE.

---
Back to crushing people's ear drums mercilessly:

Post-punk was just such a godsend man, can't stress this enough. Never heard of this band before but I love what I'm hearing and it checks all the boxes for me, having a steady beat with consistently strumming riff barrage, weird sounds and being able to hear the OI OI in the backing vocals. Almost like a surf beat sometimes but the noise parts and strumming put them closer to experimental krautrock. Nice stuff and they only released two albums, meaning I can get through them over the weekend. Thanks Gen!

------------------------------------------------------

Post-punk was just such a godsend man, can't stress this enough. Never heard of this band before but I love what I'm hearing and it checks all the boxes for me, having a steady beat with consistently strumming riff barrage, weird sounds and being able to hear the OI OI in the backing vocals. Almost like a surf beat sometimes but the noise parts and strumming put them closer to experimental krautrock. Nice stuff and they only released two albums, meaning I can get through them over the weekend. Thanks Gen!

------------------------------------------------------

Ya know, I looked up if this band had perhaps any connection to Fu Manchu, and surprise, surprise it does. You sly man. It's still really kick-ass stoner stuff with amazing guitar effects laden all over. The intro and outro are also nice with some acoustic guitar laid into there, sets a foreboding ominous tone of the sheer swagger of the song to come.

-----
Next Song:

Ya know, I looked up if this band had perhaps any connection to Fu Manchu, and surprise, surprise it does. You sly man.

Yeah, when Eddie Glass and Ruben Romano split Fu Manchu hired Brant Bjork and Bob Balch for The Action Is Go so it was one of the best splits ever possible, especially considering how Nebula are a kick-ass band in their own right with a bit more of a stoner/psych jam direction than Fu Manchu and their HC-influenced stoner. It's kinda like the Metallica thing where it was a good thing that Dave Mustaine got kicked out because otherwise he wouldn't have formed Megadeth.

Best thing is they are working on a new album due later this year and I can't fucking wait. They've been back since 2017 and now it looks like they're finally ready to go again.

Yeah, when Eddie Glass and Ruben Romano split Fu Manchu hired Brant Bjork and Bob Balch for The Action Is Go so it was one of the best splits ever possible, especially considering how Nebula are a kick-ass band in their own right with a bit more of a stoner/psych jam direction than Fu Manchu and their HC-influenced stoner. It's kinda like the Metallica thing where it was a good thing that Dave Mustaine got kicked out because otherwise he wouldn't have formed Megadeth.

Best thing is they are working on a new album due later this year and I can't fucking wait. They've been back since 2017 and now it looks like they're finall ready to go again.
The secret is out! What have you done!

It's nice of you to make me feel better about being ninja'd all the time on here so I'll take it.
T7WlRtX.jpg

Ya know, I looked up if this band had perhaps any connection to Fu Manchu, and surprise, surprise it does. You sly man. It's still really kick-ass stoner stuff with amazing guitar effects laden all over. The intro and outro are also nice with some acoustic guitar laid into there, sets a foreboding ominous tone of the sheer swagger of the song to come.

-----
Next Song:
Time for a stupid story. I've been loaning CDs from library as long as I can remember. I usually look out bands that I had previously heard of, I already knew or just based on how cool, unique etc. their name, song names or cover art looked like. I was doing this when I was something like eight or nine-years-old and didn't use that much computer yet.

I gravitated towards albums that had scary and unique covers, cause I knew that I'd get some heavy or weird shit that way. One time I took two records that had unique, interesting and scary cover art home with me. One of those records was "Frizzle Fry" by Primus (that freaking clay stuff still kinda creeps me to this day if I'm perfectly honest) and another was the album where this song is from.

And this song and record is both of those. Heavy and unique. It's like experimental rock group stumbled across Death and they decided to do some kind of weird collaboration where Chuck Schuldiner would growl here and there while experimental rock group would do their thing.This song has great progressive and experimental instrumental with some really kick ass vocals. It's probably not hard to guess that I love this song and record as a whole, since it's progressive, experimental and pretty heavy overall.

I love it.

---
And since I already mentioned "Frizzle Fry":

Back