Review the Song

That guitar is like some incredibly sexual thing but a feel good sexual thing because it is straight up money. And his vocals are so clear and precise while maintaining some charm and variation. But that guitar, so money. And this feels like a summer time jam, not a "WOOOOO SUMMER" or "Summertime Lo-o-o-vin' (Lovin in the Summertime)" jam, but a slow day, dog day, lazy Sunday where you just lie on the couch as the sun warms you up, hits you but doesn't blind you, or relax in the shade of a nice tree just letting the day roll by. But it's still quick enough for you to remain awake and just let the world do it's own thing while you watch.

This is so not Gens but I like it.

There really is nothing quite like him.
-----------------------
Something from the 90s *Record scratch*

Thrawn you glorious, GLORIOUS BASTARD. I'm getting THE WORLD'S END FLASHBACKS. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, that bar fight. Edgar Wright's got the classiest taste in movie soundtracks, just proving how dope he is as a director. I don't even listen to UK hip hop normally, but you can't deny how terrific this song is and how well it fits that high energy fight. That beat is the head bobbest shit and I love 90s record scratching, not gonna lie dude. Intense song is intense. I'm gonna PUNCH SOME FUCKEN ALIENS.

Thank you Thrawn for not putting up some gucci gang shit or crunkcore.

---
Next Song:

Thrawn you glorious, GLORIOUS BASTARD. I'm getting THE WORLD'S END FLASHBACKS. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, that bar fight. Edgar Wright's got the classiest taste in movie soundtracks, just proving how dope he is as a director. I don't even listen to UK hip hop normally, but you can't deny how terrific this song is and how well it fits that high energy fight. That beat is the head bobbest shit and I love 90s record scratching, not gonna lie dude. Intense song is intense. I'm gonna PUNCH SOME FUCKEN ALIENS.

Thank you Thrawn for not putting up some gucci gang shit or crunkcore.

---
Next Song:
Hm...is hard to pin the song down, personally. The beginning feels like intro music for a movie, yet at the same time it's not because it's fairly obvious the lyrics are meant to be listened to and paid attention to. Then there's the jarring-yet-not-jarring switches to separate songs to match the lyrics as they get more nonsensical and/or progress towards the end of the story. Very avant-garde pop, indeed. Yet is not bad at all.
------
Was going to post more mem songs, but I'm back on a Taiwan kick, so...

Hm...is hard to pin the song down, personally. The beginning feels like intro music for a movie, yet at the same time it's not because it's fairly obvious the lyrics are meant to be listened to and paid attention to. Then there's the jarring-yet-not-jarring switches to separate songs to match the lyrics as they get more nonsensical and/or progress towards the end of the story. Very avant-garde pop, indeed. Yet is not bad at all.
------
Was going to post more mem songs, but I'm back on a Taiwan kick, so...

Taiwanese metal is something I don't think I've heard before. It's like a battle symphonic metal song with folksy taiwanese melodies, although can't say I like the modern metal production or guitar tone. It sounds far too clean and just lacking in bite and grit in it's texture. Kind of reminds me of Dimmu Borgir at times if they were Asian, which isn't a great comparison because I don't really like them. The vocal performance is sort of enjoyable though as they switch around between spirited growly death metal vocals and black metal shrieking. Overall, I guess it has some novelty to it but it doesn't leave a lasting impression for me. It's pretty okay.

----
Next Song:

Taiwanese metal is something I don't think I've heard before. It's like a battle symphonic metal song with folksy taiwanese melodies, although can't say I like the modern metal production or guitar tone. It sounds far too clean and just lacking in bite and grit in it's texture. Kind of reminds me of Dimmu Borgir at times if they were Asian, which isn't a great comparison because I don't really like them. The vocal performance is sort of enjoyable though as they switch around between spirited growly death metal vocals and black metal shrieking. Overall, I guess it has some novelty to it but it doesn't leave a lasting impression for me. It's pretty okay.

----
Next Song:

At the start, the synth and sound fx made me think 80's pop meets industrial. Then the vocals kick in and the song builds. It's kind of got the Rage Against the Machine effect for me. In that the vocalist doesn't seem to match the music playing behind him, yet somehow it totally works. The track is pretty heavily produced, but I like it. The music has a lot going on, but with the drum machine giving it consistency that everything else builds off. Without the singer, it'd be a good song for a movie score that makes you want to dance. With him, though, it's just a really good song. He brings the passion with everything he says, and I had to listen twice to pay attention to the lyrics. I'll probably give it a few more listens just because.

Listening to Gens' songs never fails to expand my iTunes library.

_______

At the start, the synth and sound fx made me think 80's pop meets industrial. Then the vocals kick in and the song builds. It's kind of got the Rage Against the Machine effect for me. In that the vocalist doesn't seem to match the music playing behind him, yet somehow it totally works. The track is pretty heavily produced, but I like it. The music has a lot going on, but with the drum machine giving it consistency that everything else builds off. Without the singer, it'd be a good song for a movie score that makes you want to dance. With him, though, it's just a really good song. He brings the passion with everything he says, and I had to listen twice to pay attention to the lyrics. I'll probably give it a few more listens just because.

Listening to Gens' songs never fails to expand my iTunes library.

_______

Singing sounds like a froggy, this guy is throat singing isn't he? Which is the FUCKING BEST tbh. I love throat singing techniques. I haven't heard of ANY Mongolian shit either, but it's a pretty cool folky foreign song.

---
Next Song:

Singing sounds like a froggy, this guy is throat singing isn't he? Which is the FUCKING BEST tbh. I love throat singing techniques. I haven't heard of ANY Mongolian shit either, but it's a pretty cool folky foreign song.

---
Next Song:
Bluesy, with a lot of signs of pre-punk influence. The music had a stutter to it that was was constant that I was caught a little off guard in the last couple minutes when the tempo picked up. As for the vocalist, he's got a great voice for the song, and I totally believed him about the agony with that last heartfelt wail. One of my low key favorite parts was reading the lyrics, because I could totally picture myself singing this song at karaoke.

______

Bluesy, with a lot of signs of pre-punk influence. The music had a stutter to it that was was constant that I was caught a little off guard in the last couple minutes when the tempo picked up. As for the vocalist, he's got a great voice for the song, and I totally believed him about the agony with that last heartfelt wail. One of my low key favorite parts was reading the lyrics, because I could totally picture myself singing this song at karaoke.

______

This is my go to song for Halloween. I can almost see the spiders creeping towards me, and it's great. It's pretty much the perfect creepy crawly theme. I love it, really. Slightly surprised to see it posted, but then again when does this thread not surprise?

_______
Next Song:

then again when does this thread not surprise?
Because we're all amazing hipsters obviously.

_______
Next Song:

Hey, who's that really sexy looking guy there in his pantsu? Hmmm.....seems familiar. Oh wait, is that igorrr? I didn't know he had side projects. Of COURSE there's classical music mixed in and that guitar is delightfully punishing my ear drums. Thank god he exists for without him, we wouldn't have breakcore/death black metal shit. To be honest, his singing his magical.

I I'll make sure to check this side project out.

---
Not enough Mike Patton bois:

This is my go to song for Halloween. I can almost see the spiders creeping towards me, and it's great. It's pretty much the perfect creepy crawly theme. I love it, really. Slightly surprised to see it posted, but then again when does this thread not surprise?

_______
Next Song:
Intensity levels rising. Rising. RISING. faaaaaaaaalling. RISING! Intensity Levels Maxed. But Gens just beat me to the punch, so I'll leave them maxed out while I listen to:

Because we're all amazing hipsters obviously.

Hey, who's that really sexy looking guy there in his pantsu? Hmmm.....seems familiar. Oh wait, is that igorrr? I didn't know he had side projects. Of COURSE there's classical music mixed in and that guitar is delightfully punishing my ear drums. Thank god he exists for without him, we wouldn't have breakcore/death black metal shit. To be honest, his singing his magical.

I I'll make sure to check this side project out.

---
Not enough Mike Patton bois:

Maxed was a good place to leave them. As a huge rockabilly/psychobilly fan, this one's right up my alley, too. I love the baseline and the big band/stage production feel. It's got that swing vibe with an extra dose of awesome. Some of the transitions felt like I was watching a thriller, and others made me want to learn tap dancing. This song's got it all. I want to make a music video for it splicing in the footage of Young Frankenstein's "Putting on the Ritz" scene.

______

Intensity levels rising. Rising. RISING. faaaaaaaaalling. RISING! Intensity Levels Maxed. But Gens just beat me to the punch, so I'll leave them maxed out while I listen to:

Maxed was a good place to leave them. As a huge rockabilly/psychobilly fan, this one's right up my alley, too. I love the baseline and the big band/stage production feel. It's got that swing vibe with an extra dose of awesome. Some of the transitions felt like I was watching a thriller, and others made me want to learn tap dancing. This song's got it all. I want to make a music video for it splicing in the footage of Young Frankenstein's "Putting on the Ritz" scene.

______

Tis probably one of Primus's most original songs to me. Instead of Les Claypool usually doing his slap bass mastery of slap bassness he uses a cello for this song. That's genius if you ask me. Genius in that weird primus way, and the video is what I'd expect, surreal Primus humour with a dark undertone to it. And Claypool's singing with that hick/hill billy country voice which only perfectly fits with their weirdness imo. Primus and Mike Patton man along with the Cardiacs, the absolute forefront of quirky bands to me that I listen to the most.

---
The zaniness strikes back:

Tis probably one of Primus's most original songs to me. Instead of Les Claypool usually doing his slap bass mastery of slap bassness he uses a cello for this song. That's genius if you ask me. Genius in that weird primus way, and the video is what I'd expect, surreal Primus humour with a dark undertone to it. And Claypool's singing with that hick/hill billy country voice which only perfectly fits with their weirdness imo. Primus and Mike Patton man along with the Cardiacs, the absolute forefront of quirky bands to me that I listen to the most.

---
The zaniness strikes back:

]/SPOILER]
Noice and energetic 90's stuff there. Reminded me a bit of Weird Al for some reason; not sure if it's the singing style, lyrics, or just overall atmosphere
-----
Wasn't sure if I should go for a mem song, something oddball, or go for "other". So have some more stuff from a local guy instead:

Noice and energetic 90's stuff there. Reminded me a bit of Weird Al for some reason; not sure if it's the singing style, lyrics, or just overall atmosphere
-----
Wasn't sure if I should go for a mem song, something oddball, or go for "other". So have some more stuff from a local guy instead:

This mangadrive guy still makes some pretty great synthwave shit, still feel like dancing to it that's for sure and speeding down highways.

-----
Hmmmm, guess I'll go with some dance-y stuff:

Last edited:
This mangadrive guy still makes some pretty great synthwave shit, still feel like dancing to it that's for sure and speeding down highways.

-----
Hmmmm, guess I'll go with some dance-y stuff:
Isawwhatyoudidthere
Some classic 90's Prince right there. Can't much think of anything negative to say - it's a decent all-round danceable song.
------
More Mangadrive!

Isawwhatyoudidthere
Some classic 90's Prince right there. Can't much think of anything negative to say - it's a decent all-round danceable song.
------
More Mangadrive!
Previous works I've heard from Mangadrive have been mostly synthwave so this was kinda refreshing surprise. Sounds like chiptune + techno plus synthwave influences. Song has a really upbeat vibe and it reminds me of something I can hear in Initial D or something like that. Sounds and samples were pretty standard stuff and overall I liked it. Only little downside I can think of is that 7 minute running time. It's a cool song with cool melodies, but seven minutes of just that with few added parts here and there made it sound a little bit too repetitive when it started to near the ending.

I liked it tho. Mangadrive has been playing on my computer really frequently ever since I stumbled on their music in this thread.

---
Going to put this here since this came to my mind when listening that Mangadrive track for some reason.

Previous works I've heard from Mangadrive have been mostly synthwave so this was kinda refreshing surprise. Sounds like chiptune + techno plus synthwave influences. Song has a really upbeat vibe and it reminds me of something I can hear in Initial D or something like that. Sounds and samples were pretty standard stuff and overall I liked it. Only little downside I can think of is that 7 minute running time. It's a cool song with cool melodies, but seven minutes of just that with few added parts here and there made it sound a little bit too repetitive when it started to near the ending.

I liked it tho. Mangadrive has been playing on my computer really frequently ever since I stumbled on their music in this thread.

---
Going to put this here since this came to my mind when listening that Mangadrive track for some reason.

Chiptune disco dance party all up in here, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT:
giphy.gif

Don't think there's been ever a time where I didn't love old school sounds.

----
Next Song:

Yea, with some of his older stuff you can tell when he ran out of ideas on how to progress the track further and used filler instead. Partially why I like his track Brainsync, because it ends right when there's largely no where else to go which fits in well with the "neuro-link" theme. A lot of his older tracks come with a lot of inspiration from Initial D, Gundam, Evangelion (even has a song based on it), and other animu hits which make it even more delicious to listen to as a fan of 'em. Personal favorite album would be Purge.The.Sky followed by Mechafetish and Death Turismo (though Dreamcore.is.dead is a close runner up).
Chiptune disco dance party all up in here, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT:
giphy.gif

Don't think there's been ever a time where I didn't love old school sounds.

----
Next Song:
Ayy - Elvis Costello! He's always had a keen singing voice to me, personally. The song shows the roots of what would later be common in New Wave, while also having some of those characteristic 70's influences as well. Is pretty good overall
-----
Time for hardbass

Yea, with some of his older stuff you can tell when he ran out of ideas on how to progress the track further and used filler instead. Partially why I like his track Brainsync, because it ends right when there's largely no where else to go which fits in well with the "neuro-link" theme. A lot of his older tracks come with a lot of inspiration from Initial D, Gundam, Evangelion (even has a song based on it), and other animu hits which make it even more delicious to listen to as a fan of 'em. Personal favorite album would be Purge.The.Sky followed by Mechafetish and Death Turismo (though Dreamcore.is.dead is a close runner up).

Ayy - Elvis Costello! He's always had a keen singing voice to me, personally. The song shows the roots of what would later be common in New Wave, while also having some of those characteristic 70's influences as well. Is pretty good overall
-----
Time for hardbass

Ah Hardbass, a genre of electronic music that's basically from Russia. I'm more into other genres of electronic music, but it's pretty fine in once in awhile as background music to me and it has pretty bouncy rhythms attached to it.

---
Next Song:

Last edited:
Ah Hardbass, a genre of electronic music that's basically from Russia. I'm more into other genres of electronic music, but it's pretty fine in once in awhile as background music to me and it has pretty bouncy rhythms attached to it.

---
Next Song:
This band and song brings so many memories back for me. I was browsing through internet and found the genre "no wave". I was like "what the heck is no wave" and typed it in google search and found a list of bands. "James Chance and the Contortions" was the first one I checked out because of that minimalist, obscure and really well working cover art. The music itself was beautiful, controlled chaos and I ended up listening the whole album. Needless to say I liked it a lot and decided to check more bands of this said genre out.

Like I mentioned this is like beautiful controlled chaos. You can find influences from jazz, punk, noise and new-wave and they mix together really well. Saxophone and guitar leads are really well and fit together with really simple bass and drum parts splendidly. Minimalist guitar riffs are also really neat and man the vocals from James Chance are so good. They have enough rasp and that punk-attitude just oozes out from his vocals. I love them.

This song was the one that sold me to this genre with this album. Really awesome stuff. Going to link this on my friends Discord server now just to see if anyone there can appreciate this type of music. I am kinda alone there with my picks since most of the time people just link basic pop there and my picks get ignored :D .

---
Next:

This band and song brings so many memories back for me. I was browsing through internet and found the genre "no wave". I was like "what the heck is no wave" and typed it in google search and found a list of bands. "James Chance and the Contortions" was the first one I checked out because of that minimalist, obscure and really well working cover art. The music itself was beautiful, controlled chaos and I ended up listening the whole album. Needless to say I liked it a lot and decided to check more bands of this said genre out.

Like I mentioned this is like beautiful controlled chaos. You can find influences from jazz, punk, noise and new-wave and they mix together really well. Saxophone and guitar leads are really well and fit together with really simple bass and drum parts splendidly. Minimalist guitar riffs are also really neat and man the vocals from James Chance are so good. They have enough rasp and that punk-attitude just oozes out from his vocals. I love them.

This song was the one that sold me to this genre with this album. Really awesome stuff. Going to link this on my friends Discord server now just to see if anyone there can appreciate this type of music. I am kinda alone there with my picks since most of the time people just link basic pop there and my picks get ignored :D .

---
Next:

Those plebs not appreciating your picks, you should FRY THEM ALIVE FOR THAT. It's no wave or go home spirit!

Anyway, Flock of seagulls sure know how to make stone cold synth rock bangers. The song I know the most from them is I RAN, I RAN SOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAAAAAAAAAAAR AWAY with it's insanely catchy chorus. There's a lot of other great songs on this album too. The lyrics aren't anything super deep, but hey it's the 80s which was quite normal for the time period. The intro's a wee bit long for my taste but other than that it's good new wave material. A true embodiment of the 80s sound.

---
Next Song:

Those plebs not appreciating your picks, you should FRY THEM ALIVE FOR THAT. It's no wave or go home spirit!

Anyway, Flock of seagulls sure know how to make stone cold synth rock bangers. The song I know the most from them is I RAN, I RAN SOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAAAAAAAAAAAR AWAY with it's insanely catchy chorus. There's a lot of other great songs on this album too. The lyrics aren't anything super deep, but hey it's the 80s which was quite normal for the time period. The intro's a wee bit long for my taste but other than that it's good new wave material. A true embodiment of the 80s sound.

---
Next Song:
Listened to your last posting by Siouxsie and the Banshees, but was ninja'd before I could finish out the post. Anyhow...
Is some keen gothic rock with a tad bit of punk influence right here. Siouxsie also has a helluva voice if I do say so myself; reminds me a bit of the old jazz age singers, but with a bit of a "bite". Might have to listen to some more of the group's work here
------
Industrial metal, but Aussie:

Back