[REQUEST] I would prefer a preferential ranked rating opposed too a 5 star system.

Thoroniul

I would prefer a soft ranking system alongside or hybridized with the 5 star system.

The five star system really is prone to a bias where we quantize abnormally higher on the higher end of the spectrum.
Not everyone has the same criteria of what goes into their star ranking making the 5 star system give very little usable information, so its justa metric prone to saturation.

Basically the only meaning rashly gleaned from 4+ stars is it probably doesnt suck, 3 is average/mediocre/niche, and 2 down is trash. But these numbers don't accuratly portray even these descriptions, as people have different subjective tastes, have tastes that change over time, and metrics of an aggregate whole fail to take into account individual merits.

It would be much better to have a soft preferential ranking system. Having a person choose between two anime which one they like more, less, or the same can be aggregated and provide a much more useful heuristic of what series may be good or have potential. A soft elo system as it were. Doing it in the soft manner would allow for people to account for some niche quality without having too explicitly list it or perhaps be aware of it themselves.

I doubt people would want to sit and ranking in order 5 random manga over and over, but making a person rank their top 10 or 20 favorites might have some merit.

I would prefer a soft ranking system alongside or hybridized with the 5 star system.

The five star system really is prone to a bias where we quantize abnormally higher on the higher end of the spectrum.
Not everyone has the same criteria of what goes into their star ranking making the 5 star system give very little usable information, so its justa metric prone to saturation.

Basically the only meaning rashly gleaned from 4+ stars is it probably doesnt suck, 3 is average/mediocre/niche, and 2 down is trash. But these numbers don't accuratly portray even these descriptions, as people have different subjective tastes, have tastes that change over time, and metrics of an aggregate whole fail to take into account individual merits.

It would be much better to have a soft preferential ranking system. Having a person choose between two anime which one they like more, less, or the same can be aggregated and provide a much more useful heuristic of what series may be good or have potential. A soft elo system as it were. Doing it in the soft manner would allow for people to account for some niche quality without having too explicitly list it or perhaps be aware of it themselves.

I doubt people would want to sit and ranking in order 5 random manga over and over, but making a person rank their top 10 or 20 favorites might have some merit.

in my opinion this system is better cuz if there an anime rated as 6 or 7 You will be disappointed to watch it even if was good most people rate anime based on emotional standard that's why I hate now 10-100 scores system

Last edited:

This is a fine idea, but not one we are planning on adding for the time being

Back