Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by chii, Mar 31, 2016.

1. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. captaincrunch

captaincrunch Well-Known Member

Re: Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

Eps 1a+1b

I had no idea what this anime was coming into it, but it's pretty damn good. I'm in for the season now. I love this genre,

3. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

Episode 1:
    Well...this was actually not bad. The first few minutes weren't really promising. In fact, the first few scenes were actually really weak, but it slowly got really interesting. The MC, who started out kinda generic, slowly warmed up to me during the one hour premiere. He had some really amusing banter and is actually not a wuss. Not OP either. Well not yet anyway.

So basically, this is kinda like KonoSuba (minus the snarky lampooning and gut-busting laughs) meets Erased with the whole time rewind thing. It's an odd mix for me, but it works well so far. From what I've seen from this episode, the fantasy world setting doesn't have that pseudo-game mechanics shtick that's being used a lot lately so that's major plus for me. That really got old fast.

Well this show certainly got my attention. I'm not entirely hooked yet, but this all seems very promising.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  4. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Posted by g3data on Apr 4, 2016

1:

Utter dreck in every single way.
    >Le funny self-aware humour XD and obnoxious MC were supposed to care about
    >bad CGI
    >waaaaaay too much banal chatter
    >tension gutting time reset gimmick being the only unique thing thrown in

5. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Apr 4, 2016

Saw the bit about self-aware humour. Instant skip.

6. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Thanks Gedata. I'm staying far away from this one.

7. commonxreaction

commonxreaction Well-Known Member

Hm, seem to be some mixed signals coming from this thread. I was semi-interested in this from the synopsis, but the main thing that upsets me is:

It's CGI? Ugh... what is this new obsession...

8. AdmiralMuffin

CG is only used during crowd scenes.

9. Zaig

Zaig Well-Known Member

Posted by Zaig on Apr 5, 2016

Episode 01 (Parts 1 and 2)

I'm gonna love this. What a coincidence that we get an anime so similar to Erased but in a fantasy setting instead. How lucky for the anime too that Erased was a hit; I can see this hitching a ride on its success.

I like how the produce salesman was relevant later on by being the father of the lost child. It kind of felt like a quest event in a game, but with story significance.

Did we not learn the protagonist's name until halfway in the episode when they introduced themselves? Was I so into it that I didn't notice until then?

The pacing seems slow, but then again, it seems like it will be two cour, and episode 1 was split in two half-hour episodes. I'm guessing now that we've been introduced to MC's power, we'll start to understand what this world is and about "Satella", and then the pacing will pick up some from here on.

Things I'm thinking about: I wonder how many times MC will die and if this mechanic will get overused. I'm also curious how it's decided how far back he will travel with each death - I wonder why his current "save point" is at the produce salesman (could it be triggered by that "event" he did with the lost child, although unlikely).

Those two episodes really did fly by. Yeah, this will be a good contender for AOTS for me; since it's two-cour, maybe even AOTY. ...And now it will probably flop later and make me depressed. :crying:

10. commonxreaction

01 (A & B)
    I think it's definitely interesting enough off the bat to pull me in. The premise itself was enough to get me interested, and so far 1A has been well enough to keep me going. I like the humor as well, making fun of those extreme fans who are all about escapism and fantasy. That they think they could just come to a place and start over like it was nothing. It's providing a realistic juxtaposition. MC is a loser in the real world, and because of his personality and ethics, he doesn't have much luck in the next. So it's not like his obsession with fantasy has helped him at all, despite being summoned to a new world.

My main irk at the moment is that the Spirit Animal is named Puck. Only Puck from Berserk can be named Puck. :pokerface:

I'll tell you what, there isn't a whole lot to say about 1A, but 1B picks up really quick. And, now I see where the "Erased" aspect comes in. This certainly became very promising, very quickly.

I liked the music at the end as well, I hope that's the OP.

Overall, I enjoyed this. I think this has a lot of potential.

11. AdmiralMuffin

Episode 2:
    Still manages to be interesting. Still not entirely hooked but I'm enjoying this more and more. I'm glad they're really taking their time with this. It's a two-cour show after all so I hope there's enough character and world building. It irked me a bit that it took a bunch of times before Subaru finally figures out what the heck is going on. For an otaku, I expected him to notice it sooner. Also, it's kinda sad the others become a little more important to him each time he does the reset, but everyone forgets him.

OP and ED are nice, especially the ED. I thought the OP's loop thing was kinda neat.

12. Zaig

Zaig Well-Known Member

Posted by Zaig on Apr 11, 2016

Episode 02

This is now my most looked forward to of the season, if only currently because the other really good ones airing right now I have already read all or some of the manga. We were spoiled with the two-episode premiere - I can't wait for more! I will be jealous of everyone who will get to watch all of this at once when it finishes.

13. commonxreaction

He's finally realizing his situation, so I think the series is moving in a good direction. Hopefully this initial struggle gets wrapped up in the next episode though, I don't know if I can handle rehashed dialogue and repeated events much longer.

Although, it is still pretty engaging. I enjoyed the episode, and it didn't really feel like a step down, despite being so many lives in.

At this point, I have to wonder where they plan to go from here. Will he reach "save" points, or does death always mean starting over from the beginning at the point of Episode 1?

14. Zaig

Zaig Well-Known Member

Posted by Zaig on Apr 17, 2016

Episode 03

Still awesome.

I'm happy this day was finally wrapped up with everyone alive, as it repeating may have lost its appeal if it continued beyond this episode. But I wonder what Subaru would do if he fails to save even one person (would he kill himself to force a reset?). I have a feeling he will run into this problem later.

15. captaincrunch

This show is fantastic.

16. Zaig

Zaig Well-Known Member

Posted by Zaig on Apr 17, 2016

Yeah, it's a shame people are passing it off because of the first episode. I'm afraid this will go unnoticed/ignored on the forums just as KonoSuba was before.

17. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

3:

Fight animation in Re:Zero was pretty slick this week. Shame that the lighting ruins much of it.
    [​IMG]

Not really much else to say other than I'm glad Subaru's top half didn't slide off of the bottom when that super delayed cut finally showed itself. Now we can actually move on from "when will he die next?" to "what's actually going on in this world?". I'm sure we'll head back to square one eventually but I'm interested in seeing what will happen till then and if that will put anything that's happened into perspective.

Don't hate it any more, but still cautious.

18. AdmiralMuffin

Episode 3:
    Now that's some great action and yeah the lighting really ruined it.

But man that 360 shot was wicked cool.

[​IMG]

This has been really entertaining so far. I can't wait for the next arc. White Fox is really going all out with this one.

19. captaincrunch

I didn't even realize White Fox was doing this. I do remember they are the studio behind Katanagatari though, so that's pretty sweet.

20. commonxreaction

Despite me not appreciating Puck's name and role, he was actually quite amusing, and pretty awesome this episode. I just wish his name was anything but Puck, and he was oddly sexist. That honestly seemed uncharacteristic, compared to what we saw of him before.

Reinhard might be my favorite character at this point though.

Jeez, Elsa just didn't quit. But, I guess, that's okay. We didn't get to see her disintegrate away or anything, so I wasn't really satisfied by that ending. Her dying another day is okay with me.

Okay, I was about to be so pissed if it started over again. :pokerface:

That ending was probably the most satisfying of all the episodes so far, and the setup was pretty awesome. We don't really know what's going on, but it felt like shit was going down. It didn't really feel over the top or anything like that, it felt natural.

Not to mention, the action in this episode was so well done, and the combat was really engaging and satisfying to watch. This is definitely one of the better shows of the whole Spring Season.