R2 discs: How many do they need to sell?

I think it depends on the costs of the production.

A series of shorts selling halfway decent can be concidered a success and a series of shorts that barely uses any animation makes money very quickly. Teekyuu for example costs ''fuck all'' to make and is a success despite not being in the top 20 of season sellers.

The ''slice of life's'' , ''Romantic drama'' and ''harem'' anime are mostly cheaper to produce than stuff like Re:Zero/Attack on Titan/Kabaneri so quite a few of those can even get second seasons with "only"22K+ sold discs.

Re:Zero and anything Ufotable produces obviously need to sell more and can be considered failures when selling only 22K. usually they need to be at least in the top 10 or even top 4 of sales to be considered a success.

The long running shounen are however all about TV views it seems. It needs to be in the top 6 or so by average over a year or otherwise it risks getting dropped it seems.

Either way, just like with the videogaming industry it's all about return on investment and Popularity. Due to that what it costs to produce a series it heavily factors into when it can be considered a success financially and it generally needs to produce a good profit before a second season is considered but there's differences in that as well.

A slice of Life series for instance can be a profitable franchise but not get another season because it wasn't selling that much above the norm for the studio producing it. Many slice of life's have been well received but have not gotten a second season just because they only sold just above average for the type of show.

Last edited:
I think it depends mostly on how much was spent on the making of said anime (it wouldn't be the same if Fate/Zero sold 2k units than if Gakuen Handsome or Inferno Cop did). IIRC they consider a show is generally a success regarding of costs if they sell around 4k dvds per volume or more.

Edit: I got ninja'd =/

I think it depends mostly on how much was spent on the making of said anime (it wouldn't be the same if Fate/Zero sold 2k units than if Gakuen Handsome or Inferno Cop did). IIRC they consider a show is generally a success regarding of costs if they sell around 4k dvds per volume or more.

Edit: I got ninja'd =/

I am stealthy, I am the night, fear me.

Also, I forgot to mention. But some franchises have most of their income come from merchandise and figurines. Pretty Cure and Gundam both sell a ton of merchandise which means that series don't need to sell that many discs at all for more of it to be made. The same with trading card anime. Card Battle Anime are made for selling the Trading Cards and as long as the trading cards sell well you'll generally see a few seasons from them regardless of sales.

Etue elaborated well, though if you want a rough estimate, 10k is considered the success line.

Back